PDA

View Full Version : YES, I finally agree...Serena Williams is one cocky b!t@h

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:02 PM
As well she should be....:p

This tirade is inspired by a guy at work today who dared to say he hates Serena Williams because she is too cocky. Cockyness and trash talking is what American sports is built on. WTF???????????????? Thanks ROB…:rolleyes:

YESm why shouldn’t she be? If you were a twenty year old multi millionaire international celebrity breaking new grounds not just as a black woman but as a female tennis player wouldn’t you be cocky too?

Serena has been through a lot as a top player and finally she has come into her own and has found herself as a top tennis player. She is not unlike Jennifer Capriatti. Prior to the 2001 Australian Open, unless Jen was playing one of the Sisters I would cheer for her. The won the title, won the French and became this raging mad woman. I have since realized that you have to cut her some slack because of her past and the fact that it can get to a person head once they overcome the adversities in their lives to reach the pinnacle of their career.

I think right now Serena is relieved that she finally found her way back to Grand Slam Glory. She found the spark that took her to her first Grand Slam title and like most Americans do she is talking a little trash. Undoubtedly, ’99 was her break out year. She won in Paris, defeated the LEGENDARY Steffi Graf and took Indian Wells, made the finals of the Lipton, won Manhattan Beach, and took the US Open in dramatic fashion. Did we not expect her to keep rolling going into the 2000 season? What happened?

She showed up at OZ rusty and unprepared and was subsequently pushed in all her matches. She lost in the fourth round to Elena Likhovtseva 3 and 3. WTF??????????????? We were all shocked. She then lost in Paris to Tauziat , Pierce spanked her 2 and 1 at Indian Wells, lost to Jen two weeks later in Miami (the first of many to come), lost shockingly the following week to Paola Suarez??????? WTF???????????????????? (by this time even Serena had to be giving up on Serena) What happened to the girl that won the US Open???????????????????????????. She showed flashes of the ’99 “Brick House Steam Roller” during the summer starting at Wimbledon. She was the player to beat, which Venus did in the Semi, she won the Esytles in dramatic fashion over Lindsay, she showed great form at the Canadian Open and appeared as if she would win the final but had to retire after winning the first set 6-0. She looked happles against Lindsay in the quarter finals of the US Open. She looked up to her family in the stand as if to say “what the fuck is going on with me”? She could not defend her title.

She started 2001 much the same way she ended 2000. Lost in the qfinal of the adiddas to Martina, lost a marathon qfinal at the Oz Open to Martina (a match that the Serena of today would have won even if Martina was in top form), things picked up, she won Indian Wells and then went on to lose in the qfinal of Miami to Jen Capp (a player that would prove to be a mental block for Serena the rest of that season). In fact, the next tourney Serena played was the French Open where in the quarters she again ran into Jen and had lots of opportunities to win the match and just could not do so. Her next tourney was Wimbledon, again in the quarters she met Capriati. “Wild thing was on court that day and after leading a set and a break, she lost in three to Jenn????????????????????????? I remember being at work and was confident that she would win the match after leading a set and a break and almost had a heart attack when someone called me from home and told me she blew it. I all but gave up on her. After that, an inform Monica beat her in LA. Then she moved on to Canada. That is where it all turned around. She really raised her game and should some serious consistency. She won that title, made the final of the US Open (beating Davenport in the quarters, blitzing Hingis in the semi before losing to her sister Venus in the final). We all know what happened after that. The tour championships at the end of 2001, three straight grand slam titles in 2002….

I say all this to say that YES SHE IS COCKY….But she has earned the right to be. It has not been an easy road for Serena. I think that all champions know that once you have tasted grand slam victory, you are hooked and it took Serena a while to get back there. Lots of bumps in the road. She resided in the cellar of the top ten for a couple of years and clawed her way out. WAY TO GO SERENA. KEEP BEING COCKY AS LONG AS YOU CAN BACK IT UP….:D

Glenn
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:04 PM
No one deserves to be cocky, being cocky is bad and doesn't earn friends or respect.

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:07 PM
With all due respect... I just dont see it that way...:o

Dawn Marie
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:10 PM
I don't know about Serena, but her fans should be COCKY!!

I won't forget those dumbass folks who said her and Venus woud never win a MATCH, A SLAM, A TOURNAMENT, A POINT. Tried to cover up their hate with the bullshit. " Serena is all power" BLAH THIS and BALH that.... Oh SERENA AND VENUS WILL *NEVER* be #1. I am enjoying my cocky comments right now in time.:):D:):)

Well I am loving the fact that V@S shut them all up. So yeah I am cocky. Serena is a bit cocky too, and big deal. Being a little cocky is not bad. Ask Kim, cause I am soooooooooo sure she can tell you alot about her boyfriend's attitude.:)

Freewoman33
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:11 PM
You go girl!

Volcana
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:22 PM
There's nothing wrong with being cocky. It's like flirting. Essentially harmless. I go into a fight and I cheerfully tell the opponent I'm gonna kick their ass from here to China. Sometimes you eat the bear. Sometimes the bear eats you. To paraphrase Serena said after Chanda beat her.

"She must have played great, cause I played great and she beat me."

These are not the words of a person with a low opinion of herself. But why SHOULD she have a low opinion of herself?

SHE'S THE BEST IN THE DAMN WORLD!

It's been a very long time since we had a number one who exuded modesty. And before you say 'Monica', I rememebr the ego and fashion spreads of the early 90's. 'Cocky' would be a stretch to call Monica. But in 1990, 'modest' wasn't exactly it either. (I am aware of the lack of a comparison. I've NEVER seen a tennis player wear a TIARA on the court.)

Serena is relentless in the belief that she controls her own destiny. I got noooooo problem with that.

AjdeNate!
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Not directly to SW....but there IS a difference in being cocky and being arrogant and petulant.

tennischick
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:52 PM
i have no problem with Serena being cocky and arrogant. if that what it takes for her to be #1, then so be it. in fact a lot of past #1 players get accused of being C&A so maybe being C&A is a requirement for domination.

i loved Hingis at the height of her cockiness and arrogance. that's where her amazing self-confidence came from. the minute she lost access to her C&A resources, she started folding like a wet napkin.

but i do understand that some people do not like cocky and arrogant people. they prefer their tennis faves to be humbler and nicer. that's fine too. to each his/her own.

give me the cocky and arrogant Hingises and Serenas any day. thay are more fun to watch...;) ;)

Yeti
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:52 PM
There is a thin line between being cocky and showing confidence and belief. There are many intelligent ways in which you can tell them apart but I usually go by the fact that confidence is so sexy and cockyness is not.

Serena has confidence and belief and so she should.

TeeRexx
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:55 PM
That's great and now I want VENUS to get cocky and shake up the whole damn tour. :)

irma
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Glenn
No one deserves to be cocky, being cocky is bad and doesn't earn friends or respect.

well she has my respect :p

oh yeah it made her very rich too ;)

Glenn
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by irma

I think she's rich because of her results, if everyone who's cocky would be rich... :eek:

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by irma

LOL @ Irm...:wavey:

Cybelle Darkholme
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Muhahmmad Ali has friends and respect and he is cocky as hell.

hingis-seles
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:48 PM
TopShotta, according to your theory, Monica Seles should be damned cocky and arrogant. She won just about every GS title before the stabbing and then sufferred for over 2 years before winning the Aussie in 1996....didn't she earn the right to be cocky after winning after so long?! Her road was much tougher than anything Serena has had to go through.

:wavey:

Jakeev
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:53 PM
Funny thing is I still don't find Serena to be that cocky off court. Just confident. She is not a trash talker at all but on court she is one of the fiercest competitors I think I have seen.

I think TopShotta you are confusing cockiness with confidence. Or perhaps your coworker is. But I think you need to start LISTENING to how Serena talks. She is rather intelligent and charming to me anyway.

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 20th, 2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by TopShotta
She found the spark that took her to her first Grand Slam title and like most Americans do she is talking a little trash.

No, most Americans don't do it. In the past, I have been two America on two long trips and I found most Americans to be gracious and polite.

However, some Americans do behave like this as it seems to be part of the popular culture and specifically the sports culture. This is why Americans are so often unpopular in other countries. It's a pity, because those of us who have been there know that America is not really like that.

FWIW, I don't think Serena is particularly bad, and I think that Venus usually is quite gracious.

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 20th, 2003, 11:13 PM
You have been here on two long trips and I have been living here my entire life...:rolleyes:

Braggadocios behavior is a common part of not just American but European sports. Look at the behavior at European foot ball games...It is healthy and can inspire competition. I just think that most of the posters who hates Serena uses it as an excuse.

tennisIlove09
Jan 20th, 2003, 11:16 PM
I think a lot of younger players are cocky. But then tend to mature. Venus has matured beautifully. Really before 2000, and even DURING 2000, she matured into a wonderful champion. Same thing hasn't happened with Serena...although it may never.

Averylove
Jan 20th, 2003, 11:40 PM
You Damm right she is Cocky :( and so are her Fans to say the least LOL

And Im her Biggest Fan :drool: So I guess where some cocky Mother F**kers :devil: and proud of it ;)

Lisbeth
Jan 20th, 2003, 11:56 PM
I think Serena is a little cocky. I don't think it's essential but that's her prerogative. It's really easy - if you don't like someone's manner, don't make them your fave. Choose someone you like better and don't waste your energy hating or trying to change the one you like less. Sure she has reason to be happy with herself so good on her.

By the way, I agree most Americans are not cocky or trash talkers at all. In my experience they are usually very polite, resonably humble and quite aware of other people's feelings. However it does seem American stars, especially sports stars are expected to behave more like this. For example, it's positively expected that they will announce they are going to "kick butt" before events which in almost every country whould be considered arrogant and revolting. I find the distinction a bit odd actually - maybe everyday Americans are so polite they require vicarious rudeness from their sportspeople?!

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:45 AM
You have been here on two long trips and I have been living here my entire life...:rolleyes:

So you are seriously arguing - even now I've picked you up on the point - that most Americans are not gracious and polite. If you say so..... I'll leave it to the Americans on the board to address that insult to their country.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:48 AM
ummm.....most Americans are trash talkers....and the American posters are the won saying this ;)

It's in our blood to strive to be the best - which we are - so it comes natural.

Just look at Fed Cup last year -- BJK and JC each thought they were right in what they were doing, so they bunted heads. We don't give up easily, which is why I admire V & S so much.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:00 AM
I just hate how some players like Shaughnessy can be cocky and Bovina, yet Serena can't

fhkung
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:41 AM
cant believe that she has so many worshippers
defending her and stuff.......
finally someone has the courage and
decides to tell the truth, TopShotta
kudos to you my friend.....:)

BigTennisFan
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:59 AM
I go into a fight and I cheerfully tell the opponent I'm gonna kick their ass from here to China.

Aha!! So Volcana IS Shadowjack.

Elementary, my dear Watson.:)

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by fhkung
cant believe that she has so many worshippers
defending her and stuff.......
finally someone has the courage and
decides to tell the truth, TopShotta
kudos to you my friend.....:)

Ummm, oh never mind...:o

fhkung
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:22 AM
Ummm, oh never mind...:o
it's ok, i'm behind you 100%, as you said,
Serena is one fucking bitch alright........
it's ok to be flamed for the truth you know....:)

Viva
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:10 PM
Well if Serena is allowed to be cocky, then so is Lleyton. :p

Aloysius
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:36 PM
As long as Serena doesn't start doing a Mike Tyson impersonation when she's trash-talking, I'm all for her brand of cockiness. I wish the players would do it more as long as no one is belittled or threats are made to their family (eg. Eating their children. ;)).

Personally, I think cockiness and trash-talking can both be linked to either having great confidence or great insecurity. Cockiness due to confidence can lead to complacency. Cockiness due to insecurity can lead to undue pressure. That's just my take on things.

ARealVenusFan
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:29 PM
She SHOULD be cocky!

What is supposed to say, "I don't think I can beat anyone, they are all better than me."

NONSENSE!!!!!

TennisSTUD
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:17 PM
Martina was cocky and everyone bashed her for it, so it comes with the territory. But she is probably the most popular player.

Let them be cocky and eat cake if they want to.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:21 PM
Madonna is a bitch I love her!

Pink is a bitch and she rocks!

Britney? Ugh! She sucks. She is so fake and plastic that I'm waiting for one of her opposable limbs to come off.

Whitney is a Bobby Brown taught bitch and she kicks ass!

Car Key Boi
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:58 PM
all the American gurls are cocky and arrogant bitches and that's one of the reasons why Serena, Venus & Jennifer are on top of the world at the moment

they are champs and have every right to be cocky and arrogant, they NEED to be cocky and arrogant

players who perform to the fans (and it is a performance) and trying to come across as being sportswoman like, and all respectful like blah are LOSERS

give me a talented arrogant champ who's got something to be arrogant about anyday

if the player concerned is a talentless piece of shit with nothing to be arrogant about, that is an entirely different matter

but i'd much rather watch the Williams or Jennifer cursing like a trooper at some lame-ass linesman then to watch some loser more concerned about her public image

same with the Bois

ATP is shit now, with the exception of Marat and that Goran dude

ATP was never the same when the Mac retired, and the same will be said when the equally cocky and arrogant (but better behaved) Williams sisters retire

troof!

- Car Key Boi :cool:

Rae Q.
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:09 PM
Lol@this thread. :D Serena's my fav and it totally doesn't bother me that she can be kinda cocky. You need it to be #1!

Leena
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:17 PM
Serena is far from arrogant, she's just confident. To be #1, you have to be overly confident in yourself.

Rae Q.
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by joy
Hi rae:wavey: Tell that to Justine and Hantuchova, Dokic et all--who don't believe in themselves all the time....half those matches Venus would have lost already, if she didn't believe..and Loit to btw:wavey:

Hey Joy! :wavey: Oh totally! Self-belief is half the battle! If you don't believe then you're gonna let your opponent have the edge and Serena and Venus aren't even trying to hear that which is why they're #1 and #2. :D