PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever broken a racket?

Keith
Jan 20th, 2003, 03:51 PM
I was just wondering what kind of tempers we have here.

I have never broken a racket, but I've thought about it! I sometimes smash my racket down, but I hardly ever do it really hard, usually just a scrape.

Tell us the stories :angel:

The Crow
Jan 20th, 2003, 03:59 PM
I don't play tennis so no. Tabletennis bats is a whole other story though :o

S-T-E-V-E
Jan 20th, 2003, 04:44 PM
I destroy a racket two years ago. Terrible I can scream if I think about today. :(

JonBcn
Jan 20th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Yes. I wont do it again!

Nimi
Jan 20th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Yes, the idiot thought he can beat me! :fiery:

joegerardi
Jan 20th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Yes, but not out of frustration or anger.

See, here in Savannah we have Sandflies. Most people call them Gnats, but these little buggers bite, will swarm at you, and irritate the bejeezus out of you, especially if you're sweating. (And we all know how rare an occurrence THAT is in South Georgia!) Funnily enough, the best thing to keep them away is Avon Skin So Soft. Everyone carries a bottle.

Fast forward to the 2002, and 2nd major tounament of the year, the NTRP Challenge. April, when these little bastards are in full bloom. A kind player sees me being tormented by them, and offers me some Skin So Soft. I rub it on, and rinse my hands not realizing how oily it is.

On my first really hard windshield-wiper, full-bore swing-to-kill forehand, my brand-new $150.00 i.Radical slips right out of my hand, goes sailing about 30 feet, straight into the concrete light pole, just off center of the top of the frame...

It's now hanging on the wall of the Pro Shop I take lessons at, with a break completely through the hoop.

Venus Forever
Jan 20th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Once.:rolleyes:

Glenn
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Yea I did it once too, but it was just a cheap one, I wouldn't do it with my Pure Drive.

Wimanna
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Yep, once... but it won't happen again

Nina_rus
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:00 PM
I broke two Yonex rackets but it happened while playing, not from smashing it, both had a crack in the middle.

I had a Prince racket that I didn't like, and I was smashing it on the ground all the time pretty hard (kinda hoping it would break) but there were just a few scrathes nothing else :( ;)

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:05 PM
OMG I used to all the time! The only reason I stopped is once I got a job I started paying for them and saw it would add up damn quick!! I switched racquets recently though (from Yonex V-con to Yonex RD 170 Oversize Long, Allison Bradshaw's choice lol). That racquet is so staying in my hand. It's an amazing racquet.

That being said, I still cuss up a storm out there (just not loudly).:p

Mazza
Jan 20th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Yes! :o :p I did once at school but I didn't mean to throw it so hard and far! :o

Kirt12255
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:13 PM
:wavey: I was a petulant junior and broke many. One that comes to hand was playing a singles final. I lost it in a tie-break third. The guy I was playing was the most annoying person i have ever played. He fist pumped after every point he won...his parents were doing the same from the sidelines. After certain change of ends his dad came to the side of the court and dusted his hands with a resin-bag (how he was allowed is beyond me).

I shook hands and he called me a loser!!!

From about 10 meters away from the clubhouse I threw it against the wall and was a clean break.

I got revenge in the end though. I had to play him again in the doubles final. My brother who was my coach said he'd pay me 5 dollars (alot of money for a youngen) for every time I hit him with the tennis ball.

Now I have to pay for my own so I am less tenacious :)

AjdeNate!
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:15 PM
I busted a Yonex RG380 a few years ago. I sent Yonex a note that it was deffective and they sent me a new one!!!!!

magassi
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:17 PM
I have broken a racquet a year for the past ten years. I have a bad temper. I guess that's why I relate to Jennifer ;)

matthias
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:19 PM
yes, and it was funny (at least for one moment) but then i realised how much money i destroyed :sad:

Berlin_Calling
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:37 PM
I broke a Yonex and I emailed them and they sent me a new one :angel:

Mark Spruce
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:45 AM
nice one M_pIeRcE14

I have broken 5 in the past 2 years.

I am getting better though

Mark

timray
Dec 13th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Never did and never will.

Craigy
Dec 13th, 2005, 06:20 PM
3 times :o
Here is my Wilson H6 that I broke :o
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b82/craig_serenafan/broken2.jpg

komorli
Dec 14th, 2005, 02:01 AM
I did once, but it was only a tiny crack :o I guess I'm not very good at showing my anger. :lol:

Anna F'd Enrique
Dec 14th, 2005, 02:05 AM
yes like 12 times...it is sad losing money like that

leeber
Dec 14th, 2005, 02:27 AM
broke my wilson pro before.. :sad:
now using fischer.. :)

cartmancop
once really bad, when I was younger... (i told a little lie that someone ran over it with a car)

I also cracked on this year somehow hitting a very hard groundstroke or serve...I'm not exactly sure how I did it, but I knew it pretty soon after.

K-Dog
Yes I have. Some of the racquets broke due to mishits practicing my serve or overheads. It sucks because I got a new racquet and three weeks later it cracked on a mishit overhead because our pro was feeding up overheads that were practically on the baseline and we had to hit them in the air. Well, I hadn't hit overheads in a few weeks so I was mishiting them a lot and then finally I hit one that cracked my racquet at the handle.

I have also thrown my racquet in anger and broken 3-5 that way (I've been playing seriously for 4 years). One time I was playing the final match of my hs season and it was the finals of conference. I lost in a final set tiebreak to a kid that everyone thought was going to crush me. The kid didn't expect me to even take games off him, but we were both fighting very hard. That was the one time I lost after having a match point (I had 4). I was so mad that after the handshake I just destroyed my racquet and killed it as my coach was coming over to comfort me. I was so angry and sad at the same time. I still have the racquet in remembrance of that day. I also broke racquets over this summer practice new things I was adding to my game. I am going to derail breaking racquets because I'm not always going to have mom or dad to buy new ones for me.

Andy.
Dec 14th, 2005, 03:19 AM
No im not really a smasher and even when i get really angry i dont thump the racket to the ground that hard.

Drake1980
Dec 14th, 2005, 03:20 AM
I felt so guilty about it after

lauramariana
Dec 14th, 2005, 03:21 AM
Never did and never will. :wavey:

switz
Dec 14th, 2005, 03:34 AM
i broke prince racquet i had when i was about 15 - i was playing doubles with my mates who weren't regular tennis players. I was making all my shots and then i missed one so i just jokingly threw it down impersonating McEnroe and it just snapped :lol: i felt dumb of course.

then i switched to Head when they first came out with their Titanium raquets and i never broke any of the 3 of those i had.

Then i switched to the Babalot Pure Drive - let's just put it this way - i have bought 4 in four years and i only have 2 i can use :tape: i've never just snapped one but they are very sensitive around the frame and they must develop little cracks that just grow until they eventually snap.

Thankfully i use Wilson ncode now i don't feel the need to absue it all :lol: i don't play as much as i used anyway because i'm too important.

SilK
Dec 14th, 2005, 03:36 AM
Yes... many, MANY times.

I've actually trashed two in one match one time.
I was in the semi's of a tourni, and I had been playing great tennis.
I won the first set 6-1 in like 15 minutes.
In the second, at 3-3, I got a back injury.
I lost the second set 3-6, trashed the first racket.
Then I had to retire at 6-1 3-6 3-2 (30-15 on my serve), and I trashed the second racket.

MAN WAS I PISSED. :fiery:

No Name Face
Dec 14th, 2005, 03:37 AM
yes i was about to get bagelled by this piece of shit douchebag...i was having an off day and not making my shots. plus he called a shot out that was DEFINITELY in.

needless to say, i never got bagelled because i had to retire

Derek.
Dec 14th, 2005, 03:48 AM
I've broken two and both were during practice. :tape: I mean not in a tournament where the moment is tense, but practice. :o

russophile
Dec 14th, 2005, 03:50 AM
i don't use my racquet that much coz i don't play very much

ys
Dec 14th, 2005, 04:09 AM
No as many as Safin.. More than 99% of non-professionals..

tucker1989
Dec 14th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Yes, but not on purpose. I mean I didn't throw it, it slipped from my hand while serving and it hit the court.

Solitaire
Dec 14th, 2005, 04:57 AM
Once and that was the last time. The racquet bent in half after a threw it to the ground and looked pretty cool afterward. I kept it around awhile for laughs.

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 14th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Yes, but not of anger. Hit a smash, it got out of my hand, hit the floor and broke in two :rolleyes: it was getting old though.

beauty_is_pink
Dec 14th, 2005, 05:06 AM
never did, but oh how I wanted to! :fiery:

bello
Dec 14th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Yeah, i was playing against the wall as a kid, around 10 or 11 and got frustrated with the ball going far and having to go get it all the time and i smashed it against the long grass which was nearby thinking it would be fine on grass, however hiding in that grass was a BRICK and my poor Dunlop racket was smashed! It costed my mother $85 as a xmas present, but it was great as I got to upgrade to a $150 Yonex!

esquímaux
Dec 14th, 2005, 02:51 PM
yes i was about to get bagelled by this piece of shit douchebag...i was having an off day and not making my shots. plus he called a shot out that was DEFINITELY in.

needless to say, i never got bagelled because i had to retireAlexandra Stevenson?

esquímaux
Dec 14th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Nope, never. I never get that mad :angel:

SelesFan70
Dec 14th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Many times...I have anger management issues. :wavey:

Maryamator
Dec 14th, 2005, 03:29 PM
yeah i broke one so badlyit looked like the rackets serena broke..i have only broken 3 rackets so far:p

Maryamator
Dec 14th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Many times...I have anger management issues. :wavey:
me 2:p

Spunky83
Dec 14th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Haven´t thrown raquets ever since I turned 14 or something like that. As a kid I haven´t had enough strength to destroy a raquet although they really flew well...like 5 metres :lol:

A'DAM
Dec 14th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Shame on me but I do break at least 1 racket per season... In 2002 I had my record of total 4 rackets... :smash:

Craigy
Dec 14th, 2005, 05:11 PM
yeah i broke one so badlyit looked like the rackets serena broke..i have only broken 3 rackets so far:p
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/photos/popups/nasdaq2005/images/098.jpg
How could you break your babolat that bad!?

controlfreak
Dec 14th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Yes.

The first one, I smashed on clay courts many times and it eventually developed a small fracture which caused the racquet to bend and split when playing. I stopped using it when I could no longer get it back in the cover.

The second one, I tossed about 20 feet up in the air, missed the catch, and it landed on its head. It was fractured, but lived on for a couple of months before I replaced it.

The third one, I smashed on a hard courd in anger - it went from being unscratched, to basically like Serena's one in the post above, in a fraction of a second. Oops. My partner was really angry with me because we had to stop practising.

But I can't see myself breaking either of my current sticks - a Babolat Pure Control and a Volkl Quantum 10. They just behave too well in my hands.

Maryamator
Dec 14th, 2005, 07:21 PM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/photos/popups/nasdaq2005/images/098.jpg
How could you break your babolat that bad!?
well first it cracked then i started breaking it:D

honeyke
Dec 14th, 2005, 08:04 PM
i did it twice, but in badminton and not in tennis.the first racket broke because i was frustrated and so consequently i destroyed it.i threw it on a wall and then this racket wasn´t the same like before...just damaged.
the other racket broke while i was playing.it was bad material or sth...but i was really angry because it was alsmost a new racket!

Rexman
Dec 14th, 2005, 09:58 PM
I am proud to say I have never thrown my racquet. I used to hit it against the ground sometimes, but not that hard.

Now I just let out a scream or slap myself on the forehead, occassionaly hit the racquet against my foot.

SzavayFi
Dec 15th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Yea i can get a temper during alot of my matches. Most recently i was up 6-4 5-4 and had two match points, i ended up dropping the set and i chunked my raquet at the fence, the ref gave me a point penalty right then so i went over and picked up my raquet and it had a HUGE crack down the side. I calmed down when i looked over at my dad and he gave me a death look so i lost all anger right then. I won the next set 6-1 though :) But i had to replace that raquet myself :(

gRaFiC
Dec 16th, 2005, 09:58 AM
yes twice that i can remember. I had a terrible temper as a young teen but now I'm totally relaxed. My dad has broken many! He once threw his racquet so high it went over the fence onto the neighbour's roof! He never went and got it, he was too ashamed to ask" Can i get my racquet, it's on your roof?"

Tennace
Dec 16th, 2005, 11:26 AM
I think Ive broken 3 but none on purpose

SelesFan70
Dec 16th, 2005, 02:12 PM
well first it cracked then i started breaking it:D

:lol: That's the way to do...completely destroy it...you can't use it after it's cracked anyways!

Wojtek
Dec 16th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Two - one was very cheap, second it was Wilson which Venus played in 2002. I'm buying atleast one racket for season so it wasn't big deal.

Louis Cyphre
Dec 16th, 2005, 02:31 PM
I wish sooo many times but I didnt ... Maybe soon :lol:

Shuji Shuriken
Dec 16th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Smashed my precious H-Tour this year, broke my Hyper Hammer last year, and creamed a Prince i started out playing with. I now use the stupid N6 which I hate, but I'm torn as to whethe to smash it or not. Never get an N6. Never.