PDA

View Full Version : ESPN is so stupid...

Mikey
Jan 20th, 2003, 01:23 PM
i dont know if a thread was started about this already, but as soon as i saw it, i knew people here would laugh at how dumb those commentators can be some time.

after saying that it was venus who was leading eleni in the match, when serena when brought up to the terrace with mary joe, the other guy who was there said that serena might be worried because kim beat her in the last meeting. and then serena made him feel stupid because she was like "no, actually i got her." :rolleyes:

this is right up there with them making fun of marlene's website at the beginning of the week, confusing venus and serena countless times, referring to poor statistics, and showing ridiculous matches that do not need to be viewed.

ok, im done with my outburst ;)

GoDominique
Jan 20th, 2003, 01:24 PM
What did they say about Marlene's website ? Just curious.

Mikey
Jan 20th, 2003, 01:27 PM
pam said that she couldn't believe a no name like marlene had a website - so she spent approxamitely 30 seconds there. she quoted stuff from it, but every time she brought it up, all of the people in the booth would start laughing b/c you'd expect it from jennifer and not from a "nobody" like marlene - they felt stupid when marlene won :rolleyes:

there was other stuff too, but it was a week ago and i don't remember exactly what they said.

GoDominique
Jan 20th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Thanks. And well done Marlene. ;)

Mikey
Jan 20th, 2003, 01:31 PM
no problem ;) vamos marlene ;)

Gonzo Hates Me!
Jan 20th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Hey Mikey :kiss: Yeah, I was laughing when Serena corrected that dude! It's like, uuuuuuuuhhhhh duh, dumbaaaaaass!

Mikey
Jan 20th, 2003, 01:39 PM
:wavey: @ mrs. g :D :kiss:

lol - all i could think was - "no way - people on the board are going to flip out b/c he's such an idiot :p"

what's his name anyway - he's terrible :rolleyes:

Meesh
Jan 20th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Yeah Chris Fowler has never done tennis. He is mainly college football! I like what he said to Serena... "we just had Meghann up here and she was trash talking about you".... it was funny of course he said he was joking!
I'm sure Chris had his little ITF cheat sheet in front of him and it didn't mention the exo. Although Hopman Cup to me doesn't seem like an exo.

Scotso
Jan 20th, 2003, 03:12 PM
Later in the week they talked about Vivi after she beat the "talented" Marlene :rolleyes:

CJ07
Jan 20th, 2003, 03:21 PM
I think they do it on purpose.

spokenword73
Jan 20th, 2003, 03:23 PM
LOL@ Serena when she "checked" Chris Fowler. She was deadly serious, when she told him she beat Kim in Perth. Looking foolish, he tried to changed the subject to the NFL :rolleyes:

Mase
Jan 20th, 2003, 03:41 PM
That was too funny.......the expression on her face was like Ummmmmmmmmm, check your stats before you come for me! Hahahahaha!!

Ted of Teds Tennis
Jan 20th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Is it possible Chris was only given info on WTA Tour matches, and made an honest mistake not knowing about the (technically an exhibition) Hopman Cup?

WtaTour4Ever
Jan 20th, 2003, 04:52 PM
I thought that was hilarious ...Serena was like "No..... I got her last time we played ....HaHa" then she pointed at him, he did appear rather flustered but it didn't bother me!

Dawn Marie
Jan 20th, 2003, 06:04 PM
ESPN covers the OZ Open with such stuuuuuuuuuuuuuupid commentating. All commetators are SUCK ASS. I think ESPN needs to do a overhaul and fire them all. Hire some people who talk about the tennis ball, instead of stttttttttttttttttttttttttuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupid crap.

Mikey
Jan 20th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Ted of Teds Tennis
Is it possible Chris was only given info on WTA Tour matches, and made an honest mistake not knowing about the (technically an exhibition) Hopman Cup?

my point was that this was just a continuation of a long series of errors on the part of the ESPN commentators. it was an honest mistake, but people commenting on the tennis should know the statistics before commenting on them and adding to them. it's not as if they actually have to do the research themselves, either. chris is terrible at commenting about tennis, yes, but it's really the ESPN people who pulled up the statistics that are at fault here.

Monique
Jan 20th, 2003, 06:32 PM
I wouldn't mind having The Boiled Egg, Rollo, Earthcrystal, Tine and few other posters doing match analysis for ESPN... Rebecca and Dawn Marie could provide contrasting points of view in the booth..:) and Tennischick would be especially assigned to comment on all of Sampras's matches...;)

LeonHart
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:44 PM
In case u guys didn't knoe, that guy obviously has no tennis commenting experience (he also pronounced Kafelnikov's name wrong). I think he heard Pam or Mary Joe talk about it, so he asked Serena, and of course Serena corrected him :p

ktwtennis
Jan 20th, 2003, 11:18 PM
Yes, I think most on this board could do better commentating than some of these imitators on TV--We actually know what's going on!

anton
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:17 AM
espn doesnt care about anything but agassi and roddick.

if they dont show venus-danny I'm going to sue them!!

brickhousesupporter
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by anton
espn doesnt care about anything but agassi and roddick.

if they dont show venus-danny I'm going to sue them!!

That is a bit much Anton.

Jericho
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:21 AM
ditto, they beter show venus and dani!!!

anton
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:21 AM
I was joking about the lawsuit. But I have a feeling they hope Venus will won quickly so they can show Agassi's whole match.

Rolling-Thunder
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:55 AM
What I really hate about ESPN is them announcing the results of a match that they then go on to show or will be showed later. What's the point?

anton
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:44 AM
mary carillo is praising grosjean. what a surprise!

:rolleyes: and where is venus? :rolleyes:

Rocketta
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:47 AM
I hate how they advertise like they are planning to show Venus' match when they know they are not! :rolleyes:

anton
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:50 AM
they always do that. I'm so sick of them saying "he's so talented" and bla bla bla and the all negative about venus.

"she really is struggling"

espn2=:devil:

Havok
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:02 AM
LOL.the onlycomentator i really do like is good 'ol Mary Carillo. she's so blunt and speaks the truth. too good,and she's awesome with her wise cracks.

anton
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:19 AM
daniela and venus deserve better.
daniela is #5 and venus is #2 so they should be on not agassi i think

Rocketta
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by anton
daniela and venus deserve better.
daniela is #5 and venus is #2 so they should be on not agassi i think

I think they should show the live match but I also think they should put their butts on the air a lot earlier than 10:30pm. :fiery:

spokenword73
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:25 AM
espn=liars...they'll probably show "highlights" of Venus and Dani!

anton
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:27 AM
if agassi and roddick lose i wonder who they will show after advertising they are going to show venus

anton
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:28 AM
You better believe if venus had of lost they would show the whole match

~RedRose~
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:28 AM
I hate it when in OZ they show low ranked Aus players instead of top players!! :fiery:

tennisIlove09
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:29 AM
wait, they're NOT showing Venus? AHHHHHH!!!!

Rocketta
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by tennisIlove09
wait, they're NOT showing Venus? AHHHHHH!!!!

Are you kidding with Andre on the court? Of course they are showing Andre. :) No seriously Agassi is playing live so they will show his match first then Venus and Daniela. Hopefully, Agassi will finish Grosjean off in 3 sets.

theultimateone
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:33 AM
is that they continue to watch ESPN after it has shown them over and over again, since the beginning of the Australian Open, that it (ESPN) doesn't give a damn what they think about the LIES they tell in regards to airing Venus and Serena matches. If you continue to allow people to make FOOLS out of you, why should they change anything they do? Just my two cents.

The other day, ESPN said it was going to air Serena at 3:30 am in addition to Hewitt's match. They showed Hewitt's match and showed you one second of Serena's match after Hewitt's match ended.

Tonight, ESPN said it was going to air Venus' match in addition to Agassi's match; yet again they are showing Agassi's match in hopes that you will watch it to the very end, so they can show you a highlight of Venus' match after Agassi's match ends. I just hope most of you are not being so gullible!!! I say enough of the BULLSHIT with ESPN.

BK4ever
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:36 AM
I understand why they are showing Agassi first. But they BETTER show Vee, because I have to go to the gym and work in the morning and I will be pissed if I miss my beauty sleep for nothing ;)

Rocketta
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:36 AM
So what are we suppose to watch if we want to see any tennis even a highlight? There is no other place to turn to. Hopefully, one day there will and the day that it happens I'm sure a lot of us will be there.

MarcusRock
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:39 AM
They said already that they're showing Venus-Dani Tuesday at 2PM Eastern US. I saw it on a promo when they showed tennis this afternoon.

theultimateone
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:40 AM
If Venus and Serena's matches were SCHEDULED in the same time slots they have scheduled Agassi's matches, then their matches would be LIVE. You don't think Agassi just happens to be lucky enough that ALL of his matches have been LIVE. ESPN and the Australian Open PLANNED to have ALL of Agassi's matches shown LIVE. They had absolutely no intention of showing Venus' and Serena's matches LIVE. The only reason we were able to see Serena's match the other night is because the doubles match before her match lasted longer than was planned.

Simplify
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:44 AM
Instead of the Australian Open, it should be called the Andre and Andy Open!:(

I have no problem with them showing the live matches. I think that makes sense. But, last week they showed one of Serena's matches on tape instead of Chanda's LIVE match against Mary Pierce! So, using that "logic", they could have done that with some other matches.

I am still amazed that ALL of Andre's matches (and I think Andy's) have been shown LIVE! I know ESPN doesn't make the schedule, but wow.

MarcusRock
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:45 AM
Wait, maybe I'm wrong. I just checked that little update bar at the bottom of the screen and it says they're showing a men's quarter and Henin-Hardenne and ViVi's match tomorrow at 2PM. So maybe they will show some of Venus tonight. Sorry about that.

Rocketta
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:50 AM
Actually people have said that they do have input into the schedule. I have a hard time believing that the AO would always just happen to correspond Andre's matches with ESPN on air time by luck, were talking every time. Andre has not been the night match. What a coinky-dink.

WtaTour4Ever
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:51 AM
I just don't see how, they only have 40 mins of coverage. Hopefully they will show Henin and Venus.....forget the other mens quarter.

theultimateone
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:56 AM
If you think it is just a coincidence that Agassi's matches just happen to coincide with ESPN's on-air time here in the good old USA, then I have some swamp land to sell you.

treufreund
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:44 AM
Well the Dani-Venus match was BORING and UGLY. Venus played OKAY but Dani was there with her typical "all or nothing" and crappy footwork style. She can hit the ball but sometimes she just looks clueless when it comes to strategy and shot selection! I don't like watching her play against players who have more power than her. When she can set up and hit her shots she is good but if she is on the defense then Dani gets overpowered quicker than Hingis or even Coetzer. It's not attractive.

Scotso
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:48 AM
Well I would rather see Vivi and Juanqui any day :D

Mikey
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:32 AM
ok, i understand why they didn't show the venus/daniela match. if it had been such a good match, it clearly would have lasted long enough for them to show it on espn. and it was such an ugly match anyway, that it wasn't worth showing at 10:30 (though as someone said, they did show it at 2:00 today i think). they showed andre in hopes that it would be a good match (although that apparently turned out to be a blowout as well - but you can't blame them for expecting it to be a good one as it was the 2 seed vs. the 12 seed, who has been playing very well here).

they showed roddick vs. youzhny b/c they expected it to be a good one as well - though after the first 2 sets, they probably regretted it. although, that turned in to one of the best matches of the tournament - i was happy i watched that.

they did show justine and lindsay, so give them some credit. they showed a bunch of women's matches as well. the choice of matches isn't necessarily espn's choosing - sometimes it's what the Australian Open wants to show, so don't think that it's only espn's fault.

and besides, the point of this thread was not that the matches shown are stupid. it's that the commentating is so poor, it makes me want to hurl listening to them speak - especially chris fowler and jim courier.

CJ07
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:46 AM
Jim Courier should be banned from commentating