PDA

View Full Version : Fed Cup!!!

Gowza
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:47 AM
the usa currently have the best team with seles, capriati, davenport, the williams sisters, shaughnessy, rubin, raymond, the in-form frazie, stevenson, irvin, bielik, baker and harkleroad so far their best prospect for the future. five of these ladies have been or are world #1 but will that be enough in a few years? they may find some good tennis in the likes of rao, avants or players like mattek, jackson and shadisha robinson if they were to make it good in the seniors and put their slightly above average junior careers aside (not to say they aren't good players and haven't had good results but they haven't had stellar junior careers).

i think the real future of fed cup lies with russia. russia is already building a strong contingency with players such as myskina, dementieva, panova, likhovtseva, jidkova, kournikova, kuznetsova, safina, zvonareva, krasnoroutskaya, petrova and bovina. most of these ladies look like potential top 20 players and quite a few of them look to have the talent for top 10 status. then we can add to that the up and coming sensations of douchevina, sharapova, afinogenova, linetskaya, bratchikova, kleybanova, kirilenko and bastrikova with a whole lot more waiting in the wings waiting for a call up. most of these youny rising stars also look to have at least top 50 talent. (and lets face it in a couple of years it will be an honour just to reach the top 50 with all the talent that is emerging)

now i'm not saying the usa can't continue to do well in the fed cup, and i'm also not saying that all of the russian girls will be as great as i say, but the usa's future looks grim compared to russia's.

but these two countries also have to watch out for europe. france is looking good with the experience of mary pierce and dechy with up and comers like foretz, bartoli, razzano, cohen aloro and golovin.

another country looking good is belgium with expereince and youth combined in kim clijsters and justine henin-hardenne as well as elke clijsters and flipkens as well as the experience of els callens.

the czech republic have voracova, koukalova, bedanova, prusova, chladkova, benesova and one of their best prospects strycova

and it looks like soon enough asian will be in the mix with various countries having at least one good talent. some of those talents include tanasugarn, tulyaganova, cho, and hsieh.

and their are many other teams to talk about that have a chance but i'm really tired and want to got to bed so this will have to do.

i see russian having the most depth if their first picks were injured or for some reason unable to play and depending on the development of their talent will depend on how many elite players they have in hand. will russian be dominant? or will the depth be irrelevant and some one else take over? will the usa retain their winning ways? these are all questions that i would like to be discussed in this thread. i hope everyone has fun, now lets start this thing.

Sunspot
Jan 20th, 2003, 11:21 AM
I think Vera could win a small title, like Dinara did last year. She's very good! If she keeps improving, she could be top ten easy in a couple years

matthias
Jan 20th, 2003, 11:36 AM
she must be good, because she beat my Darling Anna-Lena in Orange Bowl final 6:1 6:0 or 6:0 6:1 ;)

Gowza
Jan 20th, 2003, 11:38 AM
sorry guys i changed the topic of the thread