PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open organisers screw the night fans again.

aura of daniela
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:13 AM
Hi Guys,

Just got the great news that neither the Agassi-Grosjean match nor the Daniela-Venus match will be on during the night tomorrow.

I'm not saying that the other matches scheduled for the night aren't good matches, but they have once again given the day session the 2 prime matches out of the 4 for the day.

Ultimately, it would have been my dream that Daniela's match would be on at night as I have tickets for then, but I feel that at least one of the matches should have been on at night, just to make it even and fair.

Having some great friends online means that I will probably be lucky enough to see probably the biggest match, for myself that is, of the tournament tomorrow in Daniela vs Venus, but still, it's pretty unfair for the public that pay good money for night session tickets.

Thanks guys, and a huge thanks to Ajayares and sweet CC :)

Simon

Crazy Canuck
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:17 AM
I'm surprised about the selection of night matches.

But could US TV have anything to do with this?

And really couldn't you put it both ways - if they put BOTH AA and Daniella and Venus on at night, is that not cheating the day fans?

*still surprised*

tennisIlove09
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by aura of daniela
and sweet CC :)

I agree...CC is very sweet :hearts: :hearts:

As for the subject...I'm surprised that Henin-Hardenne/Ruano-Pascual is the night match. Dani/Venus and AA/Grosjean seems to be a better match up.

Maybe it's to help Justine with her cramps?

Crazy Canuck
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:22 AM
One could propose - as TBE has on the other board ;) - that seeing as the sched was put out before Hewitt lost, that the organizers were just keeping andre in the hot hot sun to fry ;)

Sam L
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Yes both of those matches should be on at night, but oh well I have tomorrow off work, LOL! So can stay at home and watch some tennis :D

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:23 AM
We know what happens when a Potato is put under a hot sun ;)

Crazy Canuck
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:25 AM
Looking on the bright side - maybe Grosjean can take Andre to 5 and tucker him out good - and maybe Ferrero can beat Wayne (although, this is hardly a lock).

Then Andre will be all tired for the semis ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:39 AM
seeing how its been going

Serena vs Meghann will be day QF on Wed
as will Younes vs ****head

Sam L
Jan 20th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Actually I've just been thinking Grosjean vs. Agassi is NOT a marquee match at all. Agassi would kill Grosjean. I'm pretty sure of it. Grosjean doesn't have the game to hurt Agassi right now on hardcourts.

So the Ferrero/Ferreira would turn out to be a better match I think.

great smash
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:07 AM
To me it seemed like the only option to put Venus in the day match as she also has to play her doubles match tomorrow.

They were also more or less obliged to put that doubles tomorrow. The day afterwards, both Kim and Serena have to play their quarter final in singles, so neither of them could play the evening match, if it were to be followed by their doubles quarter final

aura of daniela
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:13 AM
I actually agree with you Sam, there's more chance of the Agassi match being a non event than the Ferrero-Ferreira match.

I was more disappointed that Dani-Venus wasn't on at night.
Daniela had to play a doubles match today at about 4pm which finish at 5.45, that gave me some hope that they may have done the right thing and give Daniela some extra rest, but obviously Justines cramp was more important.

I'll be honest, I just wanted to see Daniela tomorrow night against Venus, that the main reason why I'm disappointed.
You basically take the chance when you buy the tickets 3 months in advance and hope that you get lucky with the draw. Venus-Daniela would have been amazing luck for me.
Actually, I would have rathered the opposite side of the draw came up on Tuesday, because the way it is now, it just feels so close yet so far for me :p

Finally, is it a little silly that they had both top seeded playing on the say day the entire tournament?
Whatever happened to sharing the wealth.........

This has been a very weird and stupid Aus Open scheduling wise, thats for sure.

Simon

Crazy Canuck
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Actually I've just been thinking Grosjean vs. Agassi is NOT a marquee match at all. Agassi would kill Grosjean. I'm pretty sure of it. Grosjean doesn't have the game to hurt Agassi right now on hardcourts.

So the Ferrero/Ferreira would turn out to be a better match I think.

I have to disagree with you here.

Grosjean vs Andre:

1998-08-31 U.S. Open Hardcourt R128 Andre Agassi (USA) 6-4 6-1 6-4
2001-05-28 Roland Garros Clay QF Sebastien Grosjean (FRA) 1-6 6-1 6-1 6-3
2001-11-12 Sydney Indoor Hardcourt RR Sebastien Grosjean (FRA) 6-3 6-4
2002-10-14 Madrid Indoor Hardcourt SF Andre Agassi (USA) 6-4 3-6 6-4

The head to head is tied, with Grosjean having beat Agassi on two different surfaces. Their most recent match, which was not long ago, went the distance.

Grosjean can give Andre a match, and has everytime since they first time they played.

Furthermore, until his magnificant comeback against mantilla, Grosjean had not lost a set.

Also, Andre has not been tested this tournament. Grosjean will provide him with a stern test.

Ferrero vs Ferreira

1999-11-01 Paris Indoor Carpet R64 Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP) 4-6 6-2 6-2
2001-05-07 Rome Clay QF Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP) 6-0 6-2
Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP) leads 2:0

If Ferrero can beat Wayne in 1999 on carpet (I will remind you that Ferrero did nothing indoors untill Paris 2000), I would have to like his chances here.

aura of daniela
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:17 AM
great smash, thats what I was think just then as well.

Daniela has to play a doubles match tomorrow afternoon as well, but they've made silly decision with the schedule all tournament, so this decision didn't "really" surprise me tooo much, and hasn't surprise a lot of us really.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:19 AM
I think that a lot of you aren't giving Grosjean nearly enough credit, given his head to head against Andre, and the fact that Andre has not played any quality players yet (except Escude who is good but didn't take his chances, or who didn't get injured like Coria)

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:21 AM
I have tickets to the night session, too, and was really hoping to see Daniela again (I got to some of her earlier matches, at least).

grrrrrrrrr @the_organisers. :fiery:

Gonzo Hates Me!
Jan 20th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Simon, sorry!

The Crow
Jan 20th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Yep I was quite surprised myself that Juju-Vivi is a night match :eek:

RYNJ
Jan 20th, 2003, 04:11 PM
actually, Agassi and Sebastian just played a match at kooyong

victory1
Jan 20th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Venus has a double match to play, so she had to be in the day time.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 20th, 2003, 05:57 PM
actually, Agassi and Sebastian just played a match at kooyong

Right, and there is a reason that we don't see this in the official head to head, and why I do not even consider the result.

Kooyong is an exhibition.

mboyle
Jan 20th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Maybe Tennis Australia is trying to promote an earlier bedtime among Australians. :p