PDA

View Full Version : Cramp-hit Henin-Hardenne pulls out of doubles

tennisIlove09
Jan 20th, 2003, 01:53 AM
Cramp-hit Henin-Hardenne pulls out of doubles
January 20 2003

Justine Henin-Hardenne withdrew from the doubles competition at the Australian Open today because of cramp, raising fears she might also have to pull out of the singles quarter-finals.

Fifth seed Henin-Hardenne suffered severe cramp while beating American Lindsay Davenport for the first time in six attempts yesterday in the fourth round of the singles.

The Belgian pulled out of a third round doubles match today and the official injury report listed her as having a 75 per cent chance of continuing her singles campaign tomorrow against Virginia Ruano Pascual.

Henin-Hardenne had to call an injury time out late in the final set of the gruelling 7-5 5-7 9-7 win over Davenport and was clearly concerned.

"I hope it's just cramp," said Henin-Hardenne after the match.

"I will have it checked by a trainer.

"After the match I was cramping everywhere.

"My leg is hurting and I've just been trying to cool down my body."

When asked if she felt she could still go on and win the tournament, she replied: I hope so, I'm in the quarters, I hope I'm just going to have a good recovery and I'll see tomorrow how I feel.

"But ... if I go on the court, it's to give 100 per cent and try to win every match."

The Belgian had been scheduled to partner Elena Bovina of Russia in the third round doubles clash with Ruano Pascual and Paola Suarez of Argentina.

AAP

selesrules
Jan 20th, 2003, 01:55 AM
I think it's just precaution and rest, I hope it's not serious. But this just PROVES that she was injured and that she wasn't faking it.

Volcana
Jan 20th, 2003, 02:06 AM
selesrules - Nobody meant any of that faking stuff seriously. They just posted it cause this is the literal reverse of the last time they played. Lindsay got hurt, Justine backed off and Lindsay won. But nobody took any of that seriously. You'd have to be an idiot.

Thing is, playing through leg cramps tears up your leg muscles. By not playing tomorrow, she gives herself a chance to heal. But that AND blisters on her feet bode ill.

"Topaz"
Jan 20th, 2003, 02:23 AM
Things like that happen when one goes from a soft and sweet honeymoon to a ferocious fight such as a GS. One needs some transition time, my God! ;)

Master Lu
Jan 20th, 2003, 04:17 AM
Are you sure Justine had a soft and sweet honeymoon? :devil:

:angel: