PDA

View Full Version : Hingis cleared to return - whatever that means. Beeb Sport Online article.

MartianJoeyWinson
Jan 19th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Sunday, 19 January, 2003, 18:43 GMT
Hingis cleared to return

Former world number one Martina Hingis will be able to return to top level tennis after her recent ankle surgery, according to her surgeon.
The former world number one feared she could be forced to retire because of her ankle problem.

But Heinz Buehlmann, who operated on Hingis' ankle in May 2002, claimed the injury had healed perfectly and that she would soon be able to resume training.

"Martina can play again," Buehlmann told Sonntags Blick newspaper.

"She has had this problem for four years, but the joints of the foot which was operated on is absolutely OK.

"From a medical point of view a comeback would be no problem, but Martina would have to grit her teeth and be prepared for some pain.

"I know Martina very well and I know from the past that she can come back. But whether she wants that, I do not know."

Hingis is studying for a degree in English and professes to be happy away from the court.

"It is totally possible that I won't play top tennis again, because my feet will not allow it," she said.

"I do not want to completely exclude a return. It is possible if I can play pain-free tennis again, but that is not the case with my foot injury yet.

"I do not have a comeback plan though. I am leaving everything in the future open."

"I'm not bored. I've spent the last two months doing lots of sport - skiing, riding, long walks in the wood with my dog."

---------------

So, looks like the medical verdict is positive, it's all down to her ladyship now whether or not she wants to come back. The choice... is hers. At the mo she will be thoroughly enjoying life away from tennis, she needn't bother about it at the moment, but I think retiring would probably be a mistake, anyway, the choice is hers.

:worship: to Marti

england_rules
Jan 19th, 2003, 11:03 PM
This is good news!

tennisIlove09
Jan 19th, 2003, 11:05 PM
something doesn't add up:

Hingis says her feet hurt; yet the doctor says she's fine.

:confused: :confused:

tyk101
Jan 19th, 2003, 11:09 PM
pyshological.. her perception of pain will be influenced by factors: behvioural, emotional and physical.. i.e. she basically feels she doesn't stand a chance against the top 10... and the thought of it causes her pain. This is according to Melzack and Wall Gate Control Theory of pain.

england_rules
Jan 19th, 2003, 11:09 PM
The surgeon said her ankle WILL be fine TennisIlove! Doesn't mean it is yet!

CJ07
Jan 19th, 2003, 11:39 PM
I really hope Martina comes back, I'm not a fan, but the tour needs some variety

But i really hope she hits the gym, gets 100% and comes back next summer or at OZ next year, dont rush it....take her time.

And if her ranking is 0 then so be it, she'll have injury protection

fammmmedspin
Jan 19th, 2003, 11:51 PM
I hope she gets a second opinion rather than rely on the guy who actually did the operation to confirm his own skill - lets hope it is fixed.

Eric_tennis
Jan 19th, 2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by JoeyWinson
"From a medical point of view a comeback would be no problem, but Martina would have to grit her teeth and be prepared for some pain.

How can the doctor claim that the injury is perfectly healed while he still expects some pain of her patient. :eek: :mad:
What's so perfect?

:fiery:

Eric_tennis
Jan 19th, 2003, 11:59 PM
Maybe he's misleading media to hide some defects on his practice. :p

MartianJoeyWinson
Jan 20th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Yeah he isn't going to say "hmph, f**ked up there didn't I" is he?!

CJ07
Jan 20th, 2003, 12:34 AM
I think what he ment was that medically she'll be just fine, but there'll still be pain for a little while

iluvtennis
Jan 20th, 2003, 12:35 AM
I read the entire interview somewhere else, and what he's saying is that the surgery is a success because the articulation has been stabilized. But, right now there is still inflammation in the tendons, and that's why she would experience some pain if she was to make a comeback right now! ...But, that doesn't mean that with a period of rest long enough, the inflammation won't go away and so the pain!! So, i'm confident that with a good period without practicing, the inflammation will wear off and the pain too. Then, we'll just have to see if the desire to make a comeback will be there again!:confused:

CanadianBoy21
Jan 20th, 2003, 12:43 AM
i hope martina returns.
i would be cheering for her to go to #3, and beat a williams, because we all know she needs a win against them, and serena or venus won't mind ;)
GO HINGI

Volcana
Jan 20th, 2003, 12:57 AM
"Martina can play again," Buehlmann told Sonntags Blick newspaper.

"She has had this problem for four years, but the joints of the foot which was operated on is absolutely OK.

"From a medical point of view [b]a comeback would be no problem, but Martina would have to grit her teeth and be prepared for some pain.

"I know Martina very well and I know from the past that she can come back. But whether she wants that, I do not know." quote]

His answer has some ambiguity. What does he mean by 'comeback'.?

However, I can address the pain issue. I had a knee operation a few years back. WHen I was cleared to resume sports, the doctor warned mme that it might be painful for a while. And it was. But the joint was fine. And now, three years later, I can play every sport I used for as long as Iused to, pain free.

But the recovery process, from being cleared to retruning to my old form, was FAR from painless. He may be saying that the process of thecomeback would involve pain, rather than Martina would experience pain while playing tennis for the rest of her life.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 20th, 2003, 01:35 AM
I think he mains pain in the sense that it's going to probably involve some rehab to fully strengthen her ankle and then the pain of hard on court practices to challenge the top players. Hingis has always been content to not work that hard and be very "OK, 30 minutes is good, let's go play a tournament." She can't do that now so she has to grit her teeth and be prepared to go all or nothing with her training

Volcana
Jan 20th, 2003, 01:51 AM
Bradshaw#1 - I'd love to say you're full of shit, and how would you know. But I've seen articles with Melanie Molitor in which she says much the same thing. There are players more dedicated to training than Martina.