PDA

View Full Version : Are there any pacifist here?

Volcana
Jan 19th, 2003, 12:50 AM
I mean real, live 'even if you are about to harm my child I won't use violence to stop you' pacifists?

saki
Jan 19th, 2003, 01:00 AM
Yes. :wavey: why?

Volcana
Jan 19th, 2003, 01:07 AM
How did you come to that worldview, and how severely has it been tested?

Oh sorry, why you asked. One of my buddies is a similar stone pacifist and I have never related to the position. Our discussions have evolved past 'violence never solves anything'. Or rather, we have agreed to disagree. He concedes he wouldn't want to live in a world without cops, but he still objects to them using violence to do their job.

I figured I'd get a different take on pacifism from someone else. But most people who call themselves pacifist turn out to be perfectly willing to have others use violence on their behalf. Or their 'objection' to using violence comes down to being afraid they'll get hurt. To me, that's not pacifism, it's cowardice. True pacifists, the few I've met, are the most courageous people I know. I simply don't get to converse often with them.

saki
Jan 19th, 2003, 01:15 AM
Well, in a sense, I've always had this world-view because my parents are Hindu and it's part of Hindu culture. If I'm anything now, I'm Buddhist and it's also part of Buddhist culture.

But that's not really an answer as to why I hold the position that I do. The argument usually given against the pacifist position is that self-defence or the defence of others is defending against the evil aggressors. For me, it seems as though using violence against someone who is using violence against you is only reducing yourself to their level. In defending yourself against wrong, I think that you only put yourself in the wrong.

That's a very brief summary of my position.

I'm not happy about others using violence on my behalf either, but there's very little that I can do about that beyond the anti-war protesting that I already do.