PDA

View Full Version : Antiwar protests sweep the world

Seles_Beckham
Jan 18th, 2003, 06:34 PM
Day of protest opens in Asia, moves to Mideast, Europe, U.S

Some of the biggest demonstrations on Saturday are taking place in Japan, Russia, Pakistan, Germany and London, all protesting the buildup of U.S. military hardware and personnel in the Gulf region.

A volley of protests has opened in Washington, where thousands of people have converged on the Mall, which lies between the Capitol and the Washington Monument. Events are scheduled across the United States on Saturday. (Full story)

In Paris, antiwar protesters shouted in English, "Stop Bush! Stop war!". The 6,000-strong march is the third nationwide demonstration since October, The Associated Press reported.

"You can see people are waking up (to the issue) when they see us marching," said Flore Boudet, a 21-year-old demonstrating with her classmates from the Sorbonne University.

In Moscow, Russians chanted "U.S., hands off Iraq!" and "Yankee, Go Home!" at a march outside the U.S. Embassy. One banner read: "U.S.A. is international terrorist No. 1."

Others held banners with slogans such as "Iraq isn't your ranch, Mr. Bush."

Elsewhere in Europe, a demonstration in Goteborg, Sweden, gathered 5,000 peaceful demonstrators, while a few hundred people marched in the German cities of Cologne and Bonn.

Protesters in London also gathered outside the Permanent Joint Headquarters of the British Armed Forces to voice their opposition.

About 100 people from Turkey's Greens Party demonstrated in Istanbul, symbolically throwing toy guns into a trash can. Some 1,000 activists marched in Cairo, while several Pakistani cities had small antiwar demonstrations.

Demonstrations had earlier kicked off in Christchurch, New Zealand, where about 400 people attended a rally organised by the Green Party, but an estimated 4,000 students and union members attended a concert and march in Tokyo, police told Reuters.

More than 1,500 citizens waving placards and banners marched in the Bahraini capital of Manama on Friday saying "No!" to war with Iraq and calling on their pro-Western leadership to expel U.S. forces from the kingdom.

The small Persian Gulf state is home to the U.S. 5th Fleet and hosts about 1,000 U.S. military personnel who would be among the forces used in any American-led attack on Iraq.

About 120,000 U.S. troops are expected to be in the Gulf region by mid-February, while a task force has set sail from Britain.

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/WORLD/meast/01/18/sproject.irq.demos/vert.russia.ap.jpg
Communist demonstrators hold a caricature of President Bush during a rally outside the U.S. Embassy in Moscow, on Saturday.

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/WORLD/meast/01/18/sproject.irq.demos/story.tokyo.ap.jpg
About 4,000 people gathered in Tokyo for an anti-war protest

Seles_Beckham
Jan 18th, 2003, 06:40 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20030118/mdf188130.jpg

Simon
Jan 18th, 2003, 07:02 PM
What strikes me is how small the numbers are. The sad fact is that the vast majority of people just don't care.

spyro
Jan 18th, 2003, 10:02 PM
I'm in with the people that protest against War ...

Seles_Beckham
Jan 18th, 2003, 10:04 PM
I am also with the people who protest AGAINST the war

Simon
Jan 18th, 2003, 10:06 PM
There's no official estimate of numbers protesting in Washington, but one estimate I heard is 200,000. If correct, that's actually not a bad turnout.

Barrie_Dude
Jan 18th, 2003, 10:27 PM
Bleeding Heart Liberal Assholes!:fiery:

saki
Jan 19th, 2003, 12:02 AM
The main national protests are scheduled for the 15th of February. Expect a much larger turnout then. 1million demonstrated on the 28th of November in London, which is a damn good turnout for a country with a population of about 56 million.

Simon
Jan 19th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Hey, saki - how're you doing?! (Still the highest ranked player without a title! :) )

Was the London November protest really one million?! I have some friends who went to that. But ignoring those that would support or oppose a war regardless of the issues, there is very little opposition to an attack on Iraq.

The USA seems hellbent on going in. But you can understand Resident Bush wanting to make the move sooner rather than later - the more the memory of the 9/11 attacks recede into the past the more the mood of the public returns to normality. The opportunity created by the 9/11 attacks will not last forever.

saki
Jan 19th, 2003, 12:25 AM
Not bad, thanks! I'm having trouble getting to sleep tonight which is why I'm busy posting... ;) I'm still bitter about being PAW titleless (does that make me the Anna of the game?!) - missed out by a point twice, but hey!

I'm not sure if you're right about there being little opposition to war on Iraq. I've done a few stalls/protests anti the war, and a lot of the people I've talked to have said that they're dubious about this _particular_ war because they see the US/UK as being motivated by oil rather than anything else.

In principle, I like that the 9/11 attacks have made the US more aware of its responsibilities to the middle East, but it still seems as though it's pursuing a short term policy rather than really getting to the heart of the complicated issues of the region.