PDA

View Full Version : My parents are holding me prisoner!

CanadianBoy21
Jan 17th, 2003, 10:06 PM
I'm in grade 12, and next year i intend if i get in to go to University...i applied to four, and my top choice was UofT, we live like an hour away, so far enough not to live home, and not to far to come visit once in a while...the problem is that my parents would move there so i can live there, because my sister also goes there(4th year)! I want to not only get away from high-school(it's so fake), but I also want to discover independence totally, i don't want to live with my parents, i wouldn't be able to get out, couldn't bring friends over, consistently hear my dad give me 'lectures'... and the others Universities are a little farther and don't have a strong programs for what i want to major in...
so i have come to the conclusion that I am being held prisoner for no reason, except being the best son parents could have and that causes them to love me more and follow me for what THEY think is my good, and i told them but they ignore it and they tell me how much i would save...yeah true, but with no life it's not worth it...i think spelling it out i want to get away from u would work. lol....i just found this news out, so i am a little shocked and not motivated to study anymore so i needed to write to keep me from exploding from madness...
can any of u relate?
by the way it's nice to have parents who care, but i need freedom.

:(

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 17th, 2003, 10:08 PM
:sad:

Crazy Canuck
Jan 17th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Well - I moved far enough away so that there was no way I would have to live at home ;)

toreador
Jan 17th, 2003, 10:17 PM
i'm on the other side. my parents say that when i go to uni i should learn how to live on my own...and get a job :(

Crazy Canuck
Jan 17th, 2003, 10:18 PM
Superdevil - here is my very well thought advice:

You go up to your parents next time you see them. Stern look on your face, tense fists, perhaps even a snar....

And you say "Mom, Dad - it's time that you let me go out on my own. I need to explore the wonderful world or rimming - I mean, the wonderful world of individualism!"

toreador
Jan 17th, 2003, 10:19 PM
lol

M2k
Jan 17th, 2003, 10:23 PM
...aww that is so sweet from them, but somehow not good for the little Devil :p I think you should talk to them more seriously, and be as tactful as possible, just tell them what's in your mind and hopefully without offending them.

M2k
Jan 17th, 2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Rebecca
Superdevil - here is my very well thought advice:

You go up to your parents next time you see them. Stern look on your face, tense fists, perhaps even a snar....

And you say "Mom, Dad - it's time that you let me go out on my own. I need to explore the wonderful world or rimming - I mean, the wonderful world of individualism!"

...or you can always follow Rebecca's advise ;)

selesfan1
Feb 6th, 2003, 01:50 AM
You should just tell them how you feel in a nice way. Tell them you appreciate them and all the've done for you throughout you're life and that you'll always love them because they're your parents and that it's a great honor to be their son. However, tell them that you were looking forward to being on your own and that you would appreciate that from them if they could give you the space that you want. tell tem that just because you want independance doesn't mean you want to neversee them again. Hopw everythng works out.

wuneyej
Feb 6th, 2003, 02:22 AM
Yes, go with selesfan1's advice. Better tell them very soon, though. It'll only get harder to speak up if you wait.

Don't feel guilty about it, it's only natural you feel the need to be on your own. Good luck. :)