PDA

View Full Version : Kim made for the top. New! Interview with Sabine Appelmans and Filip Dewulf

KaseyL
Jan 15th, 2003, 11:55 PM
Source: Voetbal Magazine, Jan. 8, 2003 (Belgian weekly sport magazine)

Kim is made for the top

It's a very long and interesting interview in which both Belgian ex-top players talk tennis, giving chapter and verse! A must read for those who want more insight in the tennis world.

Due to lack of time I only have translated the following highlights: (will do the rest later, is on my to do list, don't worry ;) )

Enjoy!

Interview in Meise, Belgium, with Sabine Appelmans and Filip Dewulf.

translated by Ingrid

Ö

Q: 'Ladies first' goes the saying. But let us start with menís tennis...

Filip Dewulf : The menís tour is a macho world. I donít want to kick at it, because I have benefied of it for years. However, thatís the way it is. There is the prestige, the image, the erotic effect. There are always girls hanging around who try to seduce the top players.

Sabine Appelmans : It is no surprise therefore that a lot of top players have a model as girlfriend. To most of them a tennis star isnít good enough. When it comes to this, Lleyton Hewitt is an exception. Lleyton is someone who is totally different on court than anywhere else. He is a super sweet guy, shy too, but on court he changes into an exceptional competitive player.

Q: Let us talk about womenís tennis. The menís tour is a macho world,we learned already, at the womenís there is a lot of jealousy, envy?

Appelmans : That is true. It goes from tennis results to jewelry and boyfriends. Then goes Hingis with GarcŪa and then Kournikova has to do a bit better with Enrique Iglesias (laughter). Womenís tennis has changed a lot in this way. There are the outfits, the lovers, the entire glamour surrounding it. That has become the strong element of womenís tennis, and makes it so popular. Serena Williams in her Cameroun-outfit (spelling?), Serena who designs her own outfits: thatís interesting to put in Vogue. Steffi Graf who only wants to talk tennis, is not.

Q: Do we have to reach the some conclusion like with the men, that the intrinsic best player isnít at number one?

Appelmans : Technically Justine and Kim are better. In its totality, in insight in the game, there is no one who equals Kim.

Q: The Williamses arenít untouchable according to you both, gone for a few years of hegemony?

Appelmans : No.

Dewulf : Kim has showed at the Masters that everything is possible. Both Belgian girls have gained a lot of confidence the past year.

Appelmans : In any case, it will have to be Kim and Justine to endanger the Williams-sisters. Capriati is over her best, in my opinion. I do expect Davenport to reach her level again, but not into the extent that she would pass the Williamses. And then you have Hantuchova too, who plays a beautiful agressive tennis game and dares to come to the net as well.

Ö

Q: Justine Henin-Hardenne seems to be mentally fragile. She seems obviously to be occupied with that number one position...

Appelmans : On the one hand I think it is admirable that she dares to express her ambitions to become number one, however on the other hand she better should block that out as well. She puts herself under pressure a bit too much.

Dewulf : This is the essential difference with Kim. Whether it is an exhibition match or the final of Roland Garros, she perfectly deals with it in the same manner. Probably, Justine is also too much occupied with the competition between her and Kim.

Appelmans : With Kim, one could see at a very young age that she had what it takes to make it. She is really made to play tennis at the top. Even the male tennis players are staggered re her splits.

Q: What is your opinion regarding the protective role taken up by father Clijsters?

Appelmans : On himself, he plays an important and positive role to Kim. She only has to concentrate on her tennis. The rest is taken care of. Lei Clijsters also creates a very good atmosphere for Kim. Most of the tennis dads are putting very much pressure on their children, he doesnít do that.

Dewulf : True, their collaboration works exceptionally well. However, Leiís protection is sometimes maybe a bit too rigid. I mean, the attitude to the media in particular. After all it is thanks to the media that womenís tennis is popular and that the top players earn so much money. In this field the top players do have an obligation to the media and the fans though, they want to get to know a bit more than only the result of a match. On the other hand, she is a world star and she probably will receive an enormous amount of proposals. In that sense, I repeat that Lei plays a very positive role in the guidance of his daughter.Ē

KaseyL
Jan 16th, 2003, 12:15 AM
A note to the Flemish fans who might have read this interview in its full length in Dutch:

Aub, vertaal en post de ontbrekende stukken uit dit interview niet, in welke thread dan ook. Ik wil hier geen nieuwe oorlog zien beginnen met de fans van zekere spelers. De rest van de tekst heeft immers teveel gevoelige zaken die snel in een verkeerd keelgat kunnen schieten. Ik moet er geen tekening bij maken.

Ik ben zoals beloofd wel van plan de rest te vertalen, maar ga wel een 'borstel' gebruiken... om het "postbaar" te maken.

Ik durf rekenen op jullie begrip in deze zaak. Dank!

pcabenojar
Jan 16th, 2003, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the nice article Ingrid! :bounce:

Elke
Jan 16th, 2003, 06:15 AM
Thanx Ingrid!
BTW, das een heeeeeeel goed idee om te borstelen!:p;) :angel:

Lynx
Jan 16th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Just read the article in Dutch. Very nice article, indeed!
Thanks, Ingrid. :)

re translation:
was nieuwsgierig door dat "borstelen". 't Viel nog mee, vond ik. Grijp aub zo weinig mogelijk in? 'k Voel me daar niet zo gemakkelijk bij...

Mercury Rising
Jan 16th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Damn, I wanna read it in Dutch, is it online?

Primula
Jan 16th, 2003, 10:07 AM
Yes it's online, ypu just have to go to www.sportmagazine.be/NL/default.asp !

Oh yeah, you have to register before you can read it! But it's fr free, so it shouldn' be a problem !!

KaseyL
Jan 16th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Lynx
was nieuwsgierig door dat "borstelen". 't Viel nog mee, vond ik. Grijp aub zo weinig mogelijk in? 'k Voel me daar niet zo gemakkelijk bij...

Ik ook niet, tegen mijn principes eigenlijk. Ik ben tenslotte niet verantwoordelijk voor de woorden van Dewulf en Appelmans. Maar gezien het feit dat ťťn woordje al vaak genoeg is om het "r"-woord te lanceren op dit board... Geloof me, vanuit VS standpunt gezien is er genoeg in dat interview om ieder op zijn paard te jagen (en nee, ik probeer hier niet naar de Rochus quote te verwijzen :o ).

En dan nog het rondje namen noemen in het interview lijkt me teveel munitie te geven aan degenen op het board die niet tennis als hun sport hebben, maar wel hersenloos en ergerlijk agiteren tot doel hebben.

Ik vind het erg eigenlijk om te moeten toegeven aan die ontwikkelingen en hier zelf uitermate voorzichtig te worden in wat er gepost wordt, want 't zou eens kunnen verkeerd overkomen in een welbepaalde hoek waar de keel altijd wijd open staat om er iets verkeerd te laten inschieten *kuch*...
maar stel vast dat hier op de board (niet onze lounge) een aantal posters zitten die de ganse zaak zo verzieken dat ik ook niet de zin heb om hier elke dag een aantal posten te deleten om een gevecht hier op te kuisen... gewoon omdat ik iets in zijn geheel heb vertaald dat een aantal "fans" niet aanstaat. Ik heb trouwens gisteren nog een post van die 'clan' hier verwijderd. :(

Mercury Rising
Jan 16th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Primula
Yes it's online, ypu just have to go to www.sportmagazine.be/NL/default.asp !

Oh yeah, you have to register before you can read it! But it's fr free, so it shouldn' be a problem !!
I can't see it. When I click the link, I just get a blank page :(

Lynx
Jan 16th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by KaseyL
... Ik heb trouwens gisteren nog een post van die 'clan' hier verwijderd.O? Niet gezien, gelukkig.
Ok - gesnapt. 't Loopt idd zwaar de spuigaten uit met sommige van die gasten...

So ok - I see your point. :)

Noodles - the link works for me, so I don't know what's wrong? You could try searching for "Sport magazine" in Google, option "pagina's uit BelgiŽ" - it's the uppermost item... but that provides the same address...

Mercury Rising
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:00 AM
It really doesn't work, I can't see any reports :(

Mercury Rising
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:01 AM
O? Niet gezien, gelukkig.
Ok - gesnapt. 't Loopt idd zwaar de spuigaten uit met sommige van die gasten...

So ok - I see your point. :)

Noodles - the link works for me, so I don't know what's wrong? You could try searching for "Sport magazine" in Google, option "pagina's uit BelgiŽ" - it's the uppermost item... but that provides the same address...
The problem is not the link, I get get into SM, but I can't see the interviews and stuff.

irma
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:03 AM
"Serena who designs her own outfits: thatís interesting to put in Vogue. Steffi Graf who only wants to talk tennis, is not."

steffi was in vogue in march 90 :o
under the shower

:o

KaseyL
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Noodles
It really doesn't work, I can't see any reports :(

It sometimes happens on that site. Maybe try a bit later.
Anyhow, if you've registered, got your password and all, you should get access though.

Calvin
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Noodles
The problem is not the link, I get get into SM, but I can't see the interviews and stuff.

I have the exact same problem :sad:

Lynx
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:12 AM
:confused: What exactly do you see? Can you see a "search"-box in the upper right corner?

Calvin
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:14 AM
:confused: What exactly do you see? Can you see a "search"-box in the upper right corner?

i have everything but the interview :o

Calvin
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:17 AM
screenshot...

Lynx
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Weird - it's as if the site doesn't load fully...

Can you type something in the search box?

Calvin
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:23 AM
yep, and it does a search as it should :confused:

i could live without the extra's, but it's just the interview that's missing ...

Lynx
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Have you searched for "appelmans"? That's how I found it - it's the last interview of a list.

But if this doesn't work, I can pm you the article if you like. I have no trouble accessing it.

Calvin
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Have you searched for "appelmans"? That's how I found it - it's the last interview of a list.

But if this doesn't work, I can pm you the article if you like. I have no trouble accessing it.

thanks! by searching for Appelmans it worked! :bounce:

still kinda weird though :confused:

Lynx
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:29 AM
All right !!! :D :D :D

Primula
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by David de pingwin
thanks! by searching for Appelmans it worked! :bounce:

still kinda weird though :confused:

I also found it by typing Appelmans so...
And yeah computer logical:....... NOT !!! ;)

kit
Jan 16th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Thank you for the interview!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Filip!
Jan 16th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Thank you for the interview!

I'm going to read the interview in Dutch...

---

't is inderdaad erg in sommige threads... soms denk ik echt dat er kleuters bezig zijn in bepaalde onderwerpen... Dus een goed idee om het zo aan te pakken, het zou wel eens snel in het verkeerde keelgat kunnen schieten bij sommige mensen...

ikke
Jan 16th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Thanks Ingrid:kiss:

Gonzo Hates Me!
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:31 AM
I know this is late but, I love the honesty of that interview! I am putting some of it in my sig about Lley Lley