PDA

View Full Version : Questions

danielrosario
Jan 15th, 2003, 08:48 AM
1-- What do the A and F after the players names on the commitment list stand for? Some have A, others F.

2-- Where is the updated entry list? By now we should know which of these players have decided to play in other events instead.

paul_masterton
Jan 15th, 2003, 07:28 PM
A and F are their member status of the WTA.

F means 'Full Member'
A menas 'Associate Member'

Not sure on all teh details, but you get free entry as a full member and voting privilages amongst other things.

As of an updated entry list, WTa or ITF won't publish them. That's teh job of the tournament website which doesnt exist. If u can find an address u could try e-mailing the tournament director.

AjdeNate!
Jan 15th, 2003, 08:24 PM
www.wtatour.com then click under tournaments/schedule. Each event has contact info listed there you could check.

danielrosario
Jan 16th, 2003, 03:22 AM

Rising Sun
Jan 27th, 2003, 03:53 PM
I have a question:

What is the main reason for choosing Hyderabad over other Indian cities? :confused:

Was it because of its facilities?

I'd originally presumed it would be held somewhere like Mumbai, Delhi or Chennai...

jayakris
Jan 27th, 2003, 07:28 PM
Hyderabad has a nice tennis stadium, built for the recent national games.

After the big four cities, Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, etc are the next largest cities ..

The primary reason was the interest of the state government and the state chief minister in Andhra Pradesh. He is create a big hoopla about Hyderabad. It has become one of the more modern and cosmopolitan cities these days because of the IT industry base there (known as "Cyberabad" now). Anyway, I believe the state government came up with some financial incentives.

We all thought it would be at Bangalore at first, as Glibosport is based there (Bhupathi is from there), and were surprised that Hyderabad managed to pull off the coup and get the event there.

Jay

King Aaron
Jan 28th, 2003, 01:46 PM
So Hyderabad is very advanced and have a lot of good facilities?

jayakris
Jan 28th, 2003, 03:36 PM
I don't know what I would call very advanced. As far as facilities are concerned, all the big six Indian cities have all the facilities you would want, in terms of world class five-star hotels, restaurants, shopping options, bars/discoes, etc [not as many as you would find in Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore etc, of course, but they are all there if you have the money!]. The only thing Indian cities normally do not have are big skyscraper filled downtown areas, because these are old old cities. Hyderabad is probably the Indian city that has undergone most changes and the biggest facelift in the last 10 years or so, with a lot of construction - flyovers, street upgrades etc.

As far as the stadium facilities for tennis itself is concerned Hyderabad is among the top three (Chennai and Bangalore which have conducted ATP events being the other two), and has the most recently built tennis stadium.

By the way, it looks quite probable that the ATP Chennai event itself will become a rotating event from now on, moving among the three south Indian cities, Chennai, Bangalore and Hyderabad.

Jay

King Aaron
Jan 29th, 2003, 02:08 PM
In short, Hyderabad has undergone the most changes and looks the most modern is that it?

Don't know about ATP Chennai rotating a good idea.

jayakris
Jan 29th, 2003, 03:48 PM
I guess so, aaron :)

Jay

Dhruv
Jan 29th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Pretty much. Here is the a photograph of one of their courts. So yes they have reasonably good facilities

:)

http://nationalgames2002.ap.gov.in/images/venue_profiles/fateh_maidan.jpg

rated_next
Jan 30th, 2003, 01:28 AM
it looks nice

matthias
Jan 30th, 2003, 08:47 AM
it looks very good

roby
Jan 30th, 2003, 09:00 AM
by the way, how do you guys pronounce Hyderabad?

Shine On Silver Moon
Jan 30th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Is this brand new stadium or has it been renovated? Very nice!!! What is the temperature like these days?:) :wavey: :bounce:

roby
Jan 30th, 2003, 09:28 AM
i thought of a question. i watched the broadcast of atp tata open in chennai a couple of weeks ago on espn. will this wta in hyderabad also be shown on espn or star sports channels? i think espn's live broadcasting is perfect. do you have a local sports channel?

jayakris
Jan 30th, 2003, 01:39 PM
lokamaya: My understanding is that it is a brand new stadium. There may have been some sort of tennis facility there, but the thing was essentially built 6 months back for the Indian National Games which was in December. The temperature should be managale these days.

This is the best and coolest weather time in south India. Here is what CNN forecasts for Hyderabad through this weekend (high and low temperature) -
Thursday -- 91 (33) | 62 (17)
Friday -- 88 (31) | 61 (16)
Saturday -- 86 (30) | 60 (16)
Sunday -- 84 (29) | 58 (14)
Monday -- 84 (29) | 59 (15)
Sunny, with relative humdidty 30% right now.

It shouldn't be higher than 80 degrees by the late afternoon when they will start the matches.

Jay

King Aaron
Jan 30th, 2003, 05:15 PM
the stadium looks good :)

Shine On Silver Moon
Jan 31st, 2003, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the info Jay!!!:D :wavey: