PDA

View Full Version : When I am 64..

ys
Jan 13th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Well, it is not exactly about age of 64.. It's about getting old and perception of it. I am very far from it, many decades, hopefully, but today when swimming in a gym in the morning I accidentally bumped into a couple of old farts, doing that silly aquawalk excersize, and the thought that one day I might become like them crossed my mind. And not that I liked that thought.. So I thought, maybe there is some boundary, naturally different for all people, beyond which it doesn't make sense living longer..

Before I continue, lets cut the crap. I would kindly ask all people who tend to get cynical ( like CKB ), either abstain from participating or abstain from any cynicism. Also, I would also ask any people who would be basing their opinions or arguments on any demagogic, irrational, and especially religious, postulates, not to participate too. At least, I would really like not to see any flavours of "We should live as long as God allows us" here. This is not about speaking nice and beautiful things. It's about trying to understand what other people really *THINK* about that. Because, obviously, this question has no answers.

OK, lets think about what is it being old.. From your own prospective. You can no longer enjoy movements and strength of your own body because it becomes weak and not obeying. You can no longer enjoy someone's else body, obviously. But what is the worst, your mind (logics, memory, everything ) is deteriorating, and you might be not even realising that. You might become trouble for other people, and they would pity you, and won't tell you that. That's the prospective that really horrifies me. I look at older people and the first thing that comes to my mind is pity. Would you like others to pity you? What's a point of living old, being decrepit? What would you be doing? Watching TV all day long? Spending your time chatting with old farts just like yourself? Creating nothing, giving nothing to society, being useless old wreck.

Now, lets think about what other would think about that, how others would think about you being old.

Suppose, you are old and poor. That means pity again.. Other than that. Imagine that you are old and you die. Lets think about that not in short term, but rather in integral prospective. Of course, first couple of weeks, it will be mourning, they will be thinking about you, but after that it all will gradually go. And in five years it won't really matter for them that if you died four years ago instead of five, you'd have lived one year longer. No difference, except that because you died 5 years ago, you saved them an year of caring about you (because you are poor and you needed help ), tolerating your weak and whimsical mind, pitying you. And as a bonus, they remember you being one year younger, and who knows what you could turn into during that year.

Now suppose you are old and rich. All the same stands, except that if you die one year earlier, it will give your younger heirs one extra year ( and the best year of all ) to use what they would inherit from you for their own success.

All in all, it comes to the point that when you are really old, in long-term prospective, it is better for your relatives if you die sooner rather than late, no matter how they love. Did I miss something?

So, if this is correct, while I am young I'd better define some attributes, by appearance of which I would know that it is time to go.. How would I do that? Suicide doesn't make much sense. But when you are geting really old, trying to keep the same lifestyle as before, like when you were younger, ignoring your age, trying to keep up with younger people will kill you very reliably and quickly.

Barrie_Dude
Jan 13th, 2003, 02:07 PM
:rolleyes: Worrying so much will make you old before your time! Be young! Be free! And most of all, don't be afraid to have fun and enjoy yourself!

ys
Jan 13th, 2003, 02:10 PM
I am not worried, I am just thinking and trying to understand Life.. You read a book, you think about that. You watch that long play named Life, and every episode makes you think again. That's what it all about..

i-girl
Jan 13th, 2003, 02:12 PM
yeah, I'm afraid of growing old too. but I think that if you live a healthy life style, you can at least hope to age gracefully... no? and I do see a lot of happy elderly people (although I also see a lot that seem unhappy). I think if you have reasonable health, and a loving family around you, you can enjoy these years. my grandparents on my mom's side are in very good shape. they take walks every day, go to the beach almost every day, babysit my little cousins the way they used to babysit us, my grandma sings in a band, my grandpa takes lessons in University... it doesn't look so bad. it's all about keeping in good shape, and saving enough so that you can live respectfully, I think.

per4ever
Jan 13th, 2003, 02:18 PM
You say "You can no longer enjoy someone's else body, obviously". I don't agree... you can be old and have sex too you know :)

Getting old doesn't really frighten me...I'm only scared that there will be so many things in life I never experienced, things I want to do, see when I'm old (and which can't be done at this age)..

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jan 13th, 2003, 08:28 PM
I work in a nursing home, where old age is finally realized for many people the day they are admitted here....

It's interesting - I'm 23 and seeing how people adjust. I think knowing the reality of becoming older, I have become more secure with doing it myself. I marvel at some of the people's knowledge and perception of life.

Then, there are some that have Dementia or Alzheimers and don't know what's going on - but the truth is, because they don't know what's going on, nothing can hurt them.

Am I making sense? lol

ys
Jan 13th, 2003, 09:00 PM
Then, there are some that have Dementia or Alzheimers and don't know what's going on - but the truth is, because they don't know what's going on, nothing can hurt them.

That's exactly what I am talking about. While you are still in healthy mind, what do you think about this possibly happening to you? I mean, psychos and schizophrenics also don't know who they are and completely happy. But do you envy their happiness?

irma
Jan 13th, 2003, 09:03 PM
"psychos and schizophrenics also don't know who they are and completely happy"

what? :confused:

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jan 13th, 2003, 10:04 PM
ys - dementia varies widely

One lady cries and screams ALL DAY LONG.....non-stop and is completely unhappy.

Another lady is always singing, playing the piano, and saying, "Yeah, we're going to the beach today....uh huh!"

So dementia can vary, but I do understand your point of dementia patients not knowing reality.

I guess my point is, that I have just learned the beauty in growing old -- I know you didn't want any philosophical thought in here ;) -- but it doesn't bother me. I mean...that is the only thing that can make me secure.

fresh2flash
Jan 13th, 2003, 10:55 PM
Out of this world lead many paths. If a man chooses to be old that means he`s satisfied with his life. Every person has a gift of choice: all people born in the same way and die differently. I personally think that life is just a way to find the kind of death most suitable to you. So I don`t bother with what other people thinking getting old. I have my own path.
Not quite the answer to your question though :)

Sam L
Jan 14th, 2003, 12:32 AM
I'm only scared of disease like alzheimers and osteoporosis and stuff and I guess also feeling pain. Otherwise I'm comfortable with old age and even death.

I just don't want to live in pain when I'm living. That's why I support euthanasia too, I don't think people should be made to live in pain if they don't want to anymore.

toreador
Jan 14th, 2003, 01:08 AM
growing old? one of my worst nightmares that will come true unless i commit suicide before that happens

fnuf7
Dec 11th, 2005, 10:07 AM
I'm not too bothered by growing old, it's more the fact that at some point I know my mobility will be affected and so I'll have to start relying on others to help me etc. I could find that to be very demoralising especially if I've spent my life previously all happy and independent, the lack of mobility would frustrate I would think...
I would also hate to lose my mind eg: memory, reasoning, senile dementia etc, as I have worked in Residential homes as well and you can plainly see how horrid and frustrating it is for someone when they can't remember what they were just doing, or they try and tell you a story but get lost in the middle of it. It plainly upsets them as I think in their brain they know what they want to be doing/saying/thinking but the physical body just ain't co-operating. :(

But personally I figure I'll do all I can now to first make the most of my youth/mobility/health etc and also prepare myself for later by keeping physically active/mentally active now so my brain/body is primed for later life. Something I find worse then myself getting old is the thought that my parents are getting closer to old age, and that brings the potential of degenerative disorders like alzheimers etc. No idea how people cope with parents etc with alzheimers, it must be so hard.

Homer & Co
Dec 11th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Of course, you can also raise children and pressure them to become a famous, say, tennis player. (When you're 64, they probably won't need you, but you can live off them.)

<!Society!>
Dec 11th, 2005, 11:18 AM
were not here, well ill rephrase - IM not here to think about life and what lifes all about because i dont think were gonna find the answer anytime soon. The only thing i can do is enjoy my life and live my life to the full and do all the things that i wanna do before i eventually pop my clogs :)

Dont stew over what lifes about and thinking too much bla bla bla, just get on with life and have some fun

Kart
Dec 11th, 2005, 11:37 AM
So, if this is correct, while I am young I'd better define some attributes, by appearance of which I would know that it is time to go.. How would I do that?

Advance directive.

*JR*
Dec 11th, 2005, 12:11 PM
When I'm Sixty Four
(Lennon/McCartney)

When I get older, losing my hair
Many years from now
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm sixty-four?

You'll... be... older... too
And... if you say the word
I could... stay with you

I could be handy, mending a fuse
When your lights have gone
You can knit a sweater by the fireside
Sunday mornings go for a ride
Doing the garden, digging the weeds
Who could ask for more?
When I'm sixty-four?

Every summer we can rent a cottage in the Isle of Wight
If it's not too dear
We shall scrimp and save
Grandchildren on your knee
Vera... Chuck... and Dave

Send me a postcard, drop me a line
Stating point of view
Indicate precisely what you mean to say
Yours sincerely, wasting away
Give me your answer, fill in a form
Mine for evermore
When I'm sixty-four?
Ho!

(Musical riffs missing, but I put dots in the very slow spots).

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Dec 11th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Wow - I forgot about this thread. I no longer work at that nursing home - I'm back at school with a bunch of young folks!

controlfreak
Dec 11th, 2005, 05:11 PM
When I'm 64 I expect to still be able to outrun, outjump, outswim, outsmart, and out-tennis-play my kids and grandkids. Well, you have to have goals in life. Also, I hope I live long enough to get killed in a way which doesn't yet exist (e.g. eaten by cloned dinosaur or crushed by flying car).

PamShriverRockz
Dec 11th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Ye Gods I don't want to think about being 64 ;) Bet Martina Navrat will still be playing though....

John A Roark
Dec 11th, 2005, 08:42 PM
I'm finally on the sunny side of forty and I never want those thoughtless days of youth back... I like my age, and I am getting more done now in a day than I did in a week, back then.
When I am 64, I will have published 16-20 books, you will not be able to walk into a bookstore without seeing my name!
I couldn't care less if I ever make as much as S. King or J. Patterson, but my name will be as well known in the ranks of series fiction as Weber or Fraser or Brooks...

Spunky83
Dec 11th, 2005, 09:17 PM
...I want to have a smile on my face;)

wipeout
Dec 12th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Hehe.. if I get to age 64, it'd be nice to still be going like this guy, the mighty Ulrich Inderbinen... :worship:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/post/1108763

He retired from being an Alpine mountain guide climbing 13,000+ feet peaks at age 95. :eek:

He climbed the Matterhorn an estimated 370 times, the last time to celebrate his 90th birthday. :cool:

http://www.about.ch/cantons/valais/matterhorn.jpg

Age 64 was like mid-career for him! :lol:

wipeout
Dec 12th, 2005, 01:02 AM
More seriously, getting old could mean something quite different for young people today as medical technology will have advanced greatly in that time. :)

Note that I say "medical technology" and not medicine in the usual sense of looking for slightly better drugs or surgery. I mean micro and nano engineering which is far more sophisticated.

A simple example is microscopic devices which stick to surfaces inside the body. This isn't speculation. This is real. These little devices are being tested right now. In the case I was reading about recently, they stick to cancer cells and only cancer cells and release chemotherapy drugs in tiny amounts but in precise areas so you kill the cancer cells but not the patient.

That's the surface of cancer cells but what about the plaque of heart disease and arterial disease? To make a device to pull some plaque away surely seems possible. But what about removing the plaques and filaments of Alzheimer's? Is this possible by a similar method?

Now add decades of research to all this... who knows what being 64 is in terms of health by then?

I don't know but I believe we've got used to medicine moving very slowly forward and things are going to change a whole lot faster in the not too distant future.