PDA

View Full Version : Who will you cheer for: Vera or Lena?

tenn_ace
Jan 11th, 2003, 04:12 AM
it's so tough... I love both, so I don't care who wins... Although I think Lena has better chances if she moves to later rounds. Vera is so mentally fragile.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 11th, 2003, 09:38 AM
I will cheer for both

i want the winner to make week 2 :)
good luck girls :)

[S@nti]
Jan 11th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Vera

the cat
Jan 11th, 2003, 11:46 AM
I'll cheer for Vera over Elena! :D From what I've seen, Vera Zvonareva is the guttsiest and the best fighter of the female Russian tennis players! And I like her aggressive attitude! I wish more Russian tennis players played with the fire and emotion Vera does! Unfortunately they don't. Vera has the heart of a champion! And I hope she becomes one! :bounce:

tenn_ace, if Vera is "so mentally fragile" as you say she is, what does that make the likes of Anna Kournikova, Elena Dementieva and Anastasia Myskina, who are hardly mentally tough?

King Aaron
Jan 11th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Lena :D

fresh2flash
Jan 11th, 2003, 01:51 PM
I'll cheer for Vera. Personal reasons :)

vaiva
Jan 11th, 2003, 01:57 PM
I'm on Vera's side :)

I don't think she's mentally tough enough so she needs a good win for her confidence. And I like her more than Lena

snoop
Jan 11th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Elena

igost
Jan 11th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Vera

tenn_ace
Jan 11th, 2003, 07:35 PM
the cat, honey, the difference between Vera and the ones you've mentioned is that Vera chokes quite a lot... I know she's still young and have plenty to learn, but youngsters usually are not afraid of anyone... Her loss to Clijsters at the US Open is the best example.

tenn_ace
Jan 11th, 2003, 07:37 PM
btw, I wouldn't put Nastya together with Anna and Lena. I think she's, at least, a level higher in terms of mentall toughness.

Lena is used to be, but not anymore. :(

the cat
Jan 11th, 2003, 08:19 PM
tenn_ace honey ;), how can you possibly hold that loss to Clijsters against Vera? It was her first U.S. Open afterall, and Clijsters is a much better tennis player that an inexperienced Vera. Give her a couple years of full time play before you label her "so mentally fragile". It's far too soon for that.

I love Vera's tough and tenacious qualities! :D I only wish all the Russian girls had her qualities. But they unfortunately don't! :(

You're right tenn_ace about Nastya being a level higher than Kournikova and Dementieva when it comes to mental toughness. But knowing how mentally fragile Anna and Elena are, that's not exactly a compliment for Anastasia, is it?

ys
Jan 12th, 2003, 11:00 AM
how can you possibly hold that loss to Clijsters against Vera? It was her first U.S. Open afterall, and Clijsters is a much better tennis player that an inexperienced Vera. Give her a couple years of full time play before you label her "so mentally fragile". It's far too soon for that.

the cat, with Russians it works the other way around. Remember that Anna and Elena D. were the toughest players mentally not only in Russia, but also on Tour in their earlier year. Then both had injuries and never been same again. But they were at least trained the right way. Injuries broke their spirit, but from the very beginning they were very tought mentally, no signs of fragility at all, absolutely fearless. Vera is just starting her career, and she already is very fragile mentally, and it will only get worse.

TatiAnnahølic
Jan 12th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Lena :bounce:

ys
Jan 12th, 2003, 11:01 AM
But I am on no one's side in this. I do have a feeling that Elena has superior chances of making it into the second week.

tenn_ace
Jan 12th, 2003, 11:48 AM
the cat, I watched that match from the stands and it wa mys feeling that Kim didn't really win it... Vera lost it by making couple of ue in one game and then turning all negative... you really can't do it. (and that's what I mean by saying that she is very mentally fragile)

GoDominique
Jan 12th, 2003, 01:10 PM
I have also some doubts regarding Vera.

OK, I admit I have only seen one match of her yet (the one against Kim) but I didn't like at all what I was seeing. :(
It one thing to get mad at yourself and cry AFTER losing a match, it's another thing if you do that when you are just from 5-4 to 5-6 in the second set after having won the first, like Vera did in that match. You have to stay positive. Vera was much too hard to herslef and lost a streak of games which cost her the match.
It was probably the same when she blew that 6-2 5-0 lead against Schiavone (?) at FO. Lose one or two games, get upset, lose (almost) everything.
And from the reports I have read it was the same when she lost to Cho one week ago.

She has to work on that. She will always lose matches, and she has to learn how to handle that. Frankly I don't see her entering the top 10 with this attitude.

the cat
Jan 12th, 2003, 01:18 PM
ys, you make good points about the Russian mentality and Dementieva and Kournikova. But let's give Zvonareva a chance to prove herself on tour before you label her mentally fragile. I only saw her play one match, and that was against the "S-Train" Serena Williams last year at the French Open. And I was impressed by Vera even though she was tired and Serena came back to beat Vera in 3 sets.

Zvonareva will beat Bovina! I guarantee it! Vera will handle the heat better than Elena and that will be the difference.

Udachi Vera! :bounce:

Jordan.
Jan 12th, 2003, 02:22 PM
:sad:

ys
Jan 12th, 2003, 04:28 PM
The difference between E. Bovina and other leading Russian players is having fulltime highly professional Western tennis coach and not having one..

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 12th, 2003, 05:27 PM
that match vs Kim ...... Vera really had it in the bag, she made one major basic error and from there it all went wrong.

Plus we shouldn't be "in-fighting"

auntie janie
Jan 12th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Of course I will cheer for my #1 Favorite Russian player: Elena Bovina. Thanks for asking! :D

smarties
Jan 13th, 2003, 12:27 AM
tough one but I'll go with Elena B

the cat
Jan 14th, 2003, 04:01 AM
Elena crushed Vera losing only 3 games! :eek: Can I get back on Elena's bandwagon?

The bottom line is this. Size does matter in women's tennis! And Elena has the size!

Udachi Elena! :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 14th, 2003, 04:29 AM
size isn't everything
timing and your head is more important

the cat
Jan 14th, 2003, 04:31 AM
I didn't say size was everything. But it does matter. Ask Vera Zvonareva if size matters after the pounding she took from Elena Bovina! :eek: