PDA

View Full Version : AH! once again, Venus gets no respect

tennisIlove09
Jan 9th, 2003, 06:51 AM
Venus has been in 7 of the last 10 Grand Slam Finals; winning 4 of them, yet Kim Clijsters is the "player" to stop the 'Serena Slam'

The lack of respect makes me sick. Show your the Queen Venus.

God_N
Jan 9th, 2003, 12:49 PM
Exactly....Kim had one big win and all of sudden she is to favourite to win everything?! when the last 3 and 4 of the last 5 have been Williams all the time?! Serena may be the clear no.1 but Venus is still second best and if she improves her serve can go battle it out with Serena as who is the best!! I mean Kim hasn´t done anything yet....one L.A. doesn´t make you a GS champion!!

jean_genie
Jan 9th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Let me come on in and whine a little bit too. I was clearing out some back issues of Tennis/USTA magazines and came across the June 2000 issues where Andrea Leand writes the most insipid article about Venus and her layoff after the wrist tendinitis. It's full of the usual insinuations about Venus' motivation, the same old tired story that after Serena won the '99 USOpen Venus was jealous, her withdrawal from Oz in the early portion of the season because of the tendinitis and whether there actually was an injury, and on and on and on. I was fuming at the lack of respect, credibility and thinly veiled hostility shown towards Venus in that article. And I know that they put the magazines to bed long before the month that shows on the cover because the next month's issue has Venus on the cover after the Wimbledon and USOpen wins and still the article doesn't give her much praise. It's more about her raw power overcoming Davenport. Such hogwash since Venus used such a magnificent game strategy to beat Lindsay. Even now, when she made the quarters or finals of the last 4 Grand Slams, she's still being written off. The press and that type of journalism only steel my resolve to hold on to Vee no matter what. I don't care what her future results are, she'll always be the best to me. Thanks for reading my rant. Glad to get that off my chest.:devil:

Infiniti2001
Jan 9th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Aww, don't get all upset guys... This is just the case of people taking IMMEDIATE results as if they're set in stone. It's almost not worth considering. Let's wait to see who does what at OZ ;)

sideout
Jan 10th, 2003, 06:13 AM
It don't matter cause after Serena kicks Kim in the Clijsters in the semis and Vee disposes of whomever knocked out JCap, the Queen's going to lay the big hurt down onto babysis, and show everyone who's boss!

:bounce:

Roseie
Jan 10th, 2003, 05:36 PM
I agree with you Jean! Over the years Venus got some really bad press. The Venus of the first 4 years got pretty much beat up by the press. They took their dislike of Richard out on her, The way she walked, her attitude on the court. Her not making friends with the other players, not smiling enough, The way she dressed. Tracy Austin had a ball criticizing Venus on the air in 97. Every time I look at that tape, I feel sick with dislike for that woman.
That was Venus first successful US OPEN. She was so happy & joyful, but Austin really started the rumers she brought the locker room gossip on the air, so thousands of people maybe millions, got the impresion that Venus was not a nice person. A good player yes, but a snoty bitch. The press just picked up where Austin left off.

Serendy Willick
Jan 10th, 2003, 07:45 PM
And it doesnt stop there, did anyone read that Bullshyt that Pam Shriver wrote up on the Austrailan Open at the site?:mad: :fiery: :mad: :fiery: :mad: :fiery: How in the heck is Kim Clisjsters the number two player in the world? Venus made three slam finals while Kim made ZERO Venus has an over 60 match win record, while Kim doesnt, Venus has won seven titles while Kim has won 4. Clearly the number two player in the world is Venus. And this chick is suppossed to Venus mentor?!:mad: :mad: and then of course she doenst think that Vee will do well because of their past performances? (I guess she didnt see the 2002 French Open huh?)

RAA
Jan 10th, 2003, 08:18 PM
okay, guys, I agree that Kim beats a very tired serena and gets annointed the second best player in the world. NOT quite. and because Hopman results aren't counted in the rankings, I suppose that is why people have already seemed to have forgotten that Serena beat her right back!

But, Venus just looked a bit out of sorts at the end of last year, and Kim looked in form. so that is why i think that people are being negative about Venus. I admit I'm a bit worried about her.. having not played any warm ups to Australia.

But, lets let Venus' tennis do the talking. She should better her QF result of last year, hopefully getting to the finals. then we will know she is BACK.

BTW, there will always be those who are waiting for the Williams sisters to fail. best to ignore them and enjoy the williams ride.

CJ07
Jan 11th, 2003, 04:45 AM
Dont worry, V will spank everyone and anyone en route to the Title, GO VENUS!

Nemesis
Jan 11th, 2003, 11:37 AM
I totally agree that Venus doesn't get enough recognition for all that she has done whole her carreer and also for what she has done last year.

As a Justine fan, I have A LOT OF admiration for Venus. She's so strong, stylish, nice and funny. She's certainly my number two, but she's also the number two of the world, next to her sister.

Persons who say Kim is the number 2 of the world are short sighted. Kim has beaten a not-in-form-Serena indoors. But what is an indoor "champion" at the Slams? Nothing! Better be best on hardcourt, clay and/or grass, like Venus and Serena. An in-form-Kim is good but an in-form Venus and Serena are way better! In Belgium the exaggeration of Kim is even worse. They really think Kim will win the Oz Open and that she'll beat Serena in the semis. And they really don't care that JuJu has the hardest draw ever. All they think of is: "sympathic" Kim is the best in the world! WRONG!

Venus is the real number two of the world, Serena the number one and I hope she will show that in the Australian Open!!! I am already hoping for a Venus - JuJu semi final! And then I'll have a problem to be a non supporter for Venus. And I hope that Vee or JuJu will beat Serena in the final! Go V! and JuJu! And I also hope that this will stop the over-admiration of the overestimated Kim!

V has got all of my support and admiration!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Chance
Jan 11th, 2003, 12:30 PM
that was a nice post nemesis, I'm hoping Justine does well at the AusOpen (within Limits of course ;) ). Justine is one of favs too, it's a pity she couldn't play better on the important against Kim in the adidas semi- I was pulling for her to win.

About 36 hours to go before the Aus Open starts, then hopefully Vee can let her racket do the talking for her.:bounce: