PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Draw out in a few hours...but what time will it be posted?

raddronald
Jan 7th, 2003, 03:37 PM
draw should be out soon...does anyone know what time the ceremony is? will it be on tv...espn? espn2?

i'm curious to see where davenport is located and which top 4 she is slated to meet in the quarters or even for the 4th round.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 7th, 2003, 03:53 PM
maindraw is Friday
only the qualies are done tomorrow (8th)

m_pierce fan
Jan 7th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Both Qualifier draw and Ladies singles and men's singles draw will be out tomorrow 8 January!!:bounce:

Scotso
Jan 7th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by m_pierce fan
Both Qualifier draw and Ladies singles and men's singles draw will be out tomorrow 8 January!!:bounce:

Yes TBE, that's what the website says. And it's the 8th there.

paul_masterton
Jan 7th, 2003, 05:18 PM
The Website is wrong.

This is Tennis Australia remeber, the player list still sin't updated rom last year.

Main draw will be out Friday 10th.

Doubles will not be out on the 8th as the site says, it'll probably be done next Monday

rfs1999
Jan 7th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Good luck Monica!

MarcusRock
Jan 7th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Hey I know this is a US open issue, but wasn't there a scandal or something relating to the rigging of a draw years ago? I think I saw that on here but perhaps I'm mistaken. If there was such a scandal, can someone enlighten me please? Thanks :)

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jan 7th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Can't wait for the draws :D

england_rules
Jan 7th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Actually, doesn't it come out today, because it's the 8th there?

Lisbeth
Jan 7th, 2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by MarcusRock
Hey I know this is a US open issue, but wasn't there a scandal or something relating to the rigging of a draw years ago? I think I saw that on here but perhaps I'm mistaken. If there was such a scandal, can someone enlighten me please? Thanks :)

The only thing I can think of was Damir Dokic complaining that they DIDN'T rig the draw so that Jelena wouldn't have to play Lindsay in the first round. Could that be what you're thinking of? It's actually quite funny in hindsight.

Asmus
Jan 7th, 2003, 11:49 PM
In 1996, the USTA gave special seedings in the men's draw to favour top Americans. They pushed Yevgeny Kafelnikov from his deserved #4 seeding to #7 and he withdrew as a result.

selesrules
Jan 7th, 2003, 11:55 PM
So is the draw truly on the 8th like on the site, which means today for us since in australia it's already the 8th? are the seeds even out yet? what's happening, i want the draw NOW! :) or at least i want to know when the draw will be out... :confused:

england_rules
Jan 8th, 2003, 12:08 AM
It's out at 6pm your time selesrules I think!

Lisbeth
Jan 8th, 2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Asmus
In 1996, the USTA gave special seedings in the men's draw to favour top Americans. They pushed Yevgeny Kafelnikov from his deserved #4 seeding to #7 and he withdrew as a result.

wow, seriously? whoever thought that was a good idea?
I was doing some serious exams in late 1996 and must have missed the controversy.

Chance
Jan 8th, 2003, 12:19 AM
how unfair to Yevgeny :(

selesrules
Jan 8th, 2003, 12:33 AM
england_rules, it's already 8:33 pm here. lol Do you mean that it's already out but it's not available online?

raddronald
Jan 8th, 2003, 12:56 AM
so sad....no news on seeds, yet

~SunFlower~
Jan 8th, 2003, 02:12 AM
what is taking so long?????????????? I want the draw now! it's now past 2pm in Australian time :fiery:

Good luck, Maria Sharapova in the qualies draw.

england_rules
Jan 8th, 2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by selesrules
england_rules, it's already 8:33 pm here. lol Do you mean that it's already out but it's not available online?
I'm sorry! I meant Melbourne time!

selesrules
Jan 8th, 2003, 02:29 AM
So are we 100% sure that it's today?

TS
Jan 8th, 2003, 02:31 AM
If you guys are waiting for the qualy draw you may as well go to bed now ;) If it is like last year it will be put online at 8pm EST (Aussie time) which is more than 5 hours away....part of the reason the draw is done so late is waiting for all players to confirm their final entries.

Main draw is done on Friday morning (I dont care what the website says, it is Friday trust me :p)

england_rules
Jan 8th, 2003, 02:31 AM
Well the Aus Open website said come back January 8 and it is there!

~SunFlower~
Jan 8th, 2003, 02:33 AM
Yes it will be released in any minute. Still waiting!

~SunFlower~
Jan 8th, 2003, 02:37 AM
TS, the deadline for qualifying entries was made a while ago. It's too late for players to confirm the entries. The players can confirm their withdrawals before the draw is released.

selesrules
Jan 8th, 2003, 02:43 AM
Isn't there someone here from Australia who can have live direct news somehow? :(

TS
Jan 8th, 2003, 02:46 AM
OK, maybe Sharky....but for players like Schwartz (who is in doubles Hobart) etc that still need to sign in. Its very confusing, hehe. Im just telling you guys not to hold your breath ;) Last year it was done really late, so I assume it will be the same this year.

But anyway guys as far as the main draw goes it is done on Friday! Im looking at a TV guide that says Friday Jan 10 @ 10:30am "Australian Open Draw" as it is televised every year on a Friday morning.

The website has obviously failed to notify everyone that by stating January 8, they mean the qualifying draw and NOT the main draw.

daniilidou
Jan 8th, 2003, 02:50 AM
hey TS, any details on the Daniilidou-Raymond match? What went wrong with Lena?

TS
Jan 8th, 2003, 02:53 AM
No specific details, but it was just a VERY hot day and obviously Lisa handled it better and won :( Im sure Eleni will be right for the Open :)

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 8th, 2003, 02:53 AM
Qualifying players still have to sign in as well.
but in slams as players are still involved in other events, they can do this in different ways.

daniilidou
Jan 8th, 2003, 02:55 AM
Thanks anyways... I'm sure with the support of the Greek crowd, she can go far and even farther with a good draw.

~SunFlower~
Jan 8th, 2003, 03:02 AM
TS, I can't go to bed until I see the draw. Still, I have black bags under my eyes but I am strong enough to stay awake and circling my thumbs.. still waiting.. :p

~SunFlower~
Jan 8th, 2003, 03:05 AM
Eggy, do you have a good idea how many Russian girls will be in the qualies draw?

tenn_ace
Jan 8th, 2003, 03:21 AM
AO site:

The Australian Open Draw will take place in the Melbourne Park Function Centre on Friday 10 January at 10.30 and will be broadcast live on Seven Network.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 8th, 2003, 03:32 AM
qualies

Rodionova
Krasnoroutskaya :)
Sharapova :)
Goloviznina
Fokina

Russianfan
Jan 8th, 2003, 03:47 AM
GO MARIA, LINA, GALINA, ANASTASSIA

Jack
Jan 8th, 2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by Asmus

(//Lurker Mode Off) It wasn't quite as cut and dry as just promoting American seeds. While they did bump the seeding for Agassi (from #8 to #6) and Chang (from #3 to #2), they also bumped up seeding for Ivanisevic (from #6 to #4) and Krajicek (from #7 to #5). To make room for these seed inflations, they downgraded Muster (from #2 to #3) and Kafelnikov (from #4 to #7).

The USTA had their reasons for the changes: Muster, while ranked #2, had no hardcourt results counting among his best of 14, and Kafelnikov was questionable for playing, as he had withdrawn from an event the week prior to the Open. They viewed the seed adjustments as similar to what Wimbledon historically had done (until 2001).

Under fire from the players and media, the USTA did a re-draw. Which, really, was quite meaningless, as the criticism wasn't about the draw, it was about the seedings. And the irony was that many assumed promoting Agassi from #8 to #6 was to keep him from playing #1 Sampras in the quarterfinals. (At that time men's events paired the seeds by #1 or #2 vs. #7 or #8, and #3 or #4 vs. #5 or #6.) In the "tainted" draw, Agassi could have met Sampras in the semis; but in the re-draw they could have only met in the quarters, so by that standard Agassi's draw improved. (//Lurker Mode On)

anton
Jan 8th, 2003, 06:06 AM
now i dont like this!! they said the 8th and now its the 10th :rolleyes:

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jan 8th, 2003, 06:13 AM
No...The 10th is for the maindraw...Qualifying draws should be out today....

Buitenzorg
Jan 8th, 2003, 06:14 AM
The Main Draw will Telecast LIVE by Channel 7

on Friday 10th January 2003

at 10.00 am (AEST) - Sydney/Melbourne Time

anton
Jan 8th, 2003, 06:32 AM
who cares about the Qualies? they should have been MORE SPECIFIC about which draw is going to be released when.

I'm going to sue them for false draw release.

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jan 8th, 2003, 06:39 AM
They were very specific on the website. And I DO care about qualies...

anton
Jan 8th, 2003, 07:10 AM
no they werent. they said come back jan 8 for the draws. and now i learn its the 10th. at least they have 2 closable rooves so they are not totally insane.

DutchieGirl
Jan 8th, 2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by TS
If you guys are waiting for the qualy draw you may as well go to bed now ;) If it is like last year it will be put online at 8pm EST (Aussie time) which is more than 5 hours away....part of the reason the draw is done so late is waiting for all players to confirm their final entries.

Main draw is done on Friday morning (I dont care what the website says, it is Friday trust me :p)

exactly! MD is done on FRIDAY!!! It's been done on FRIDAY for the last god knows how many years... the draw is always televised, the AO website is WRONG!!! ;) (TS I know you know it, just trying to get it through to everyone else).

DutchieGirl
Jan 8th, 2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by anton
who cares about the Qualies? they should have been MORE SPECIFIC about which draw is going to be released when.

I'm going to sue them for false draw release.

oh get over it! Why would they do a MD on the Wednesday before the event? It's a bit early don't you think?

And as you can see, lots of people care about quallies, I am one of them!

DutchieGirl
Jan 8th, 2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by anton
no they werent. they said come back jan 8 for the draws. and now i learn its the 10th. at least they have 2 closable rooves so they are not totally insane.

nope, not as insane as you anyway! :p

anton
Jan 8th, 2003, 07:22 AM
maybe i care a littine about the qualies since only 3 american guys are seeded, they need to get on the ball.

where is taylor dent? i hope the ossies did not talk him into playing under the oz flag! hands off! he's american!

anton
Jan 8th, 2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by inkyfan
nope, not as insane as you anyway! :p

the more you ignore me the closer i get:eek: !

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jan 8th, 2003, 07:57 AM
Still waiting

:wavey: :angel: :angel: :wavey:

tennisIlove09
Jan 8th, 2003, 07:59 AM
aus open web-site still doesn't have anything. Can anyone in Aussie share the draw, if they saw it on TV?

Karel
Jan 8th, 2003, 08:04 AM
no draw yet?

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jan 8th, 2003, 08:04 AM
nope ;)