PDA

View Full Version : My second day (Monday):Report.

SM
Jan 6th, 2003, 10:36 AM
After seeing tuesdays schedule i wish i couldve gone tommorow instead of today but my uni class conflicted and i couldnt skip it to see Annak ;), Martina.N ;) and some great match-ups. Today's schedule didnt really excite me, and the beginning of the day left me wondering whether i'd be going or not...

i woke up at 5am anxious to get to the action;), picked up the receiver and dialled both the guys i was going with today, one claiming to be broke and the other claiming to have too many things to do today...talk about giving me notice to call someone else, who am i gonna call at 8am!! well anyway luckily i bumped in to two friends also going up there, but i ditched them for court #1 Olga.B Vs. Conchita.

In the first set Conchita executed her game the way she wanted. Her high loopers in particular had some fierce spin on them and Olga was being forced way behind the baseline, forcing her to lose momentum and thus hit too short opening the court for one of Conchi's classic aggressive forehands. Olga had trouble adjusting to Conchi's tactics which put her off as she started to miss on many mid-court balls she was handling very confidently in the quallies; either rushing or not doing enough with it. When she didn't do enough Conchita was more than able to hit a great topspin passing shot,esp. off the backhand side. I was kinda shocked with Olga, she didnt very focused and determined until the end of the the first set where frustrated with another unforced error she let slip an obsenity in Russian = code violation ;).

At the start of the second set it was a totally different Olga all together. She won the first game with a screaming bh dtl winner and pummeled quite a few forehand winners down the line in the first few games. Olga in this set was determined to swing the momentum her way and fast. She started hitting with more authority, very deep but added alot more variety to her strokes to keep Conchita guessing. Olga threw in many good slices, started to give conchita a taste of her own medicine with many moon balls and advances to the net which threw conchi's rhythm off. In the last game of that set Olga was the one who was starting to use more moon balls and seemed tactically aware that conchi would struggle as Olga had the wind on her side, conchi was forced to give a short reply and Olga kept pummeling those inside out fhs to take out set2 6-2.

Set 3 looked to be all Olga as she totally started going for her shots, nailing many nice bhs and fhs on the lines relentlessly and also serve + volleying more often. She had an aggressive mind set in this set and Conchita looked a bit dejected as she started screaming alot in Spanish, and kicked her chair going down 0-5 in the final set. ;) However, whenever Olga had match points it was clear she was thinking "cant wait to get outta here" and who could blame her this being her 4th match since Friday (qualifying rds). Olga started s+v alot towards the end because of exhaustion, and she did well except on match points where it was not working. Eventually on her zillionth match point 5-4 serving for it Olga triumphed, looked very pleased to finally getoff, and threw one of her raquets to her biggest supprters who were a group of 'ball boys' on their breaks located on the side of the court...

Olga should've won 3-6 6-2 6-0 IMO but the fact she had to work for the final set and dig so deep may help her when she has to play a much tougher opponent in Capriati. Olga will give Jennifer alot to worry about if she isnt too tired. In a way it might be better if Jen beats Olga so she can go down and qualify for the aussie open where she will surely make an impact in the main draw (provided its nice to her).

The other match i saw were Bovina def Myskina 6-3 6-4...i was so stunned when Elena went up 6-3 4-0 and boy has she improved!! good fight by Myskina but she fluffed an easy fh which wouldve IMO lead to a tie break.

I also saw Pierce, Eleni, Annak, Evie, Chanda, Jen Cap all practicing and took pics of them. I tried to find Martina.N but no luck. :( BTW - Mary is looking fitter than when i saw her here at adidas 2000, and she won the french that year, i will post a pic! she also looked happy and relaxed on court for those worried about her and i wished her luck for the aussie open..

oh and btw - tatiana panova looked terrible today...half her arse was sticking out of her skirt, it was so short and well it didnt look good on her at all! lucky conchia wasnt wearing one THAT short

:eek:

btw - ill post some photos tommorow arvo as im tired now after that post...:)

m_pierce fan
Jan 6th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Thanx SM!!But Mary just withdrew....:sad:

spiceboy
Jan 6th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Thanx for the report SM, but do you really think she will play Jenny in QF??? *cough*

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 6th, 2003, 10:39 AM
thanx Steve for the report

fancy seeing Olga get a code Vio ;) hehe :D
good to see her back :)

vaiva
Jan 6th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Thanks SM :)

Will be anxiously waiting for the pics
Have good rest ;)

baico
Jan 6th, 2003, 10:47 AM
thankx

Experimentee
Jan 6th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the reports. Olga will play Bovina next, not Capriati.

SM
Jan 6th, 2003, 12:13 PM
oh ok i thought she played jennifer ,sorry...well Elena Bovina is really on fire & hitting so damn HARD from what i saw today so Olga will have to play at her best to stand a chance.

Bovina may even cause an upset over Jen! In her interview she said something along the line of wanting to now go on to beat Venus in a grand slam after having beaten her in that tourney a short while ago ;) go elena ;)

gossipcom
Jan 6th, 2003, 12:16 PM
can someone tell me what happened after Bovina's match when she was talking to the umpire?

We had the sound off at Fanfest and just saw the visuals and noone dared to ask her when she came in to sign autographs :)

bbypk
Jan 6th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Nice report SM!!!! thanks! ;)