PDA

View Full Version : Aus Open

Pages : [1] 2

Bigkimfan
Jan 1st, 2003, 07:15 PM
Can Kim still become number 3 before the Australian Open starts?????????:confused: :confused:

tfannis
Jan 1st, 2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Bigkimfan
Can Kim still become number 3 before the Australian Open starts?????????:confused: :confused:

Probably not. Jennifer is playing Sydney...she doesn't have points to defend there, so she'll only gain points. Kim made it to the semifinals in Sydney last year.

Primula
Jan 3rd, 2003, 01:26 PM
Do you know what I really really wanna see at the Aussie Open:

A Lleyki-doubles!!!!!!!!!
But I think you all want that to happen !!!!;)

Bigkimfan
Jan 5th, 2003, 11:12 AM
The draw comes out on Friday, 10.30 EST, live on television in Australia!

Lleykimmy1
Jan 5th, 2003, 11:56 AM
I hope that Kim will not be in the same part of the draw as Serena, so she could face her only in final, and of course win the tournament !!!!!!!!:wavey:

Bigkimfan
Jan 5th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Go Kim!!!!!!!!!!!! You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Stefke
Jan 5th, 2003, 01:04 PM
:bounce:Come on Kim!!!!!:bounce:

gokimmie
Jan 5th, 2003, 01:09 PM
:bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :hearts: :kiss: GO KIMMIE!:kiss: :hearts: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce:

Filip!
Jan 5th, 2003, 01:43 PM
I also hope she will not be in the same half as Serena...

But when she's not, she's in the same half as Venus :fiery:

Always the Williams-sisters... :mad:

Mazza
Jan 5th, 2003, 02:50 PM
I hope so too that she won't be in the same half as Serena.

C'mon Kimmie! Take the AO title! Here's hoping for a Lleyki Double! :hearts: :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Jan 5th, 2003, 02:53 PM
So the draw comes out Friday morning 00.30am in Belgium!!!!!:)

Lleykimmy1
Jan 5th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Kim-Juju!
I also hope she will not be in the same half as Serena...

But when she's not, she's in the same half as Venus :fiery:

Always the Williams-sisters... :mad:

Yeah but Venus is not as strong as Serena I think for the moment. :wavey:

GO KIM WE KNOW THAT YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!!

pruts
Jan 5th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Go Kim :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

:bounce: kim clijsters:bounce:
:bounce: lleyton hewitt:bounce:
:bounce: xavier malisse:bounce:
:bounce: elke clijsters:bounce:
:bounce: olivier rochus:bounce:
:bounce: kirsten flipkens:bounce:
:bounce: james blake:bounce:
:bounce: justine henin-hardenne:bounce:

Cilla
Jan 5th, 2003, 11:12 PM
Good Luck Kim :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Lynx
Jan 6th, 2003, 12:01 AM
The draw comes out on Friday, 10.30 EST, live on television in Australia! Bigkimfan, from where do you have that information? On the site of the Australian Open (http://www.ausopen.org/en_AU/scores/draws/ws/index.html) it says "Please come back on 8 January for the 2003 Australian Open Women's Singles Draw" (men's & doubles also). That would be wednesday! :) :bounce: :)

Lynx
Jan 6th, 2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Lleykimmy1
Yeah but Venus is not as strong as Serena I think for the moment.How strong IS Serena? I wish I could have seen the Hopman Cup match to see if Serena was really overpowering her, or if Kim was making a few errors too many... I still hope it was Kim not playing her best, then there is a possibility she might improve with a few more matches. As we all know, Kim needs to play a lot to reach her best level.
And I wouldn't rule out Venus. I fear she might be hungry again.

I still hope Kim can take her first slam! I still believe she can do it!
So GO KIM! :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Jan 6th, 2003, 01:57 AM
I saw the Hopman cup match and Kim didn't play her best her serve let her down she didn't get enough 1st serves in. She also made a lot of errors particularly on her forehand she was setting up the points well but was missing a lot of short forehands which she would normally make:o

So Kim can definately improve her form and I think she will but she will have to play better to beat Schnyder in Sydney

And they are showing the draw live on TV I saw it advertised on TV I don't think they have ever showed it before. They are also going to have Talking Tennis again which is like a preview to the AO I really hope they interview Kim this year. Last year they asked a lot of players what match they would like to see and Jaslyn Hewitt said that she would like to see Lleyton and Kim because she thinks that Lleyton would end up with a lot of bruises from taking on Kim:p

Hawk
Jan 6th, 2003, 03:42 AM
I would personally prefer if she was on Venus's half of the draw..Venus has been leaving the door open a bit lately. I still think Venus will be slightly easier than Serena.

~|Naomi|~
Jan 6th, 2003, 04:47 AM
I agree I want Kim to be in Venus's half and also to avoid Lindsay Davenport and Elena Bovina:)

~|Naomi|~
Jan 6th, 2003, 10:53 AM
This is Kim's profile from the official program of AO:

Kim Clijsters is one of the new generation who are making their mark on the women’s game. The 19 year old became the first Belgium to reach the Australian Open semi-final in 2002 and built on that foundation to take her to a career high ranking of No.3. Clijsters won her first title for the year when she defeated Venus Williams on clay at Hamburg and made the third round of Roland Garros. She still lists her French Open semi-final win over countrywoman Justine Henin-Hardenne as one of her most memorable moments.

While an upper right arm injury hindered her in the first half of the year, she came back strongly in the hard court season in the American summer making the final in Stanford where she accounted for Lindsay Davenport. At the US Open she lost and epic three-setter to Amelie Mauresmo. In Japan, she beat Jelena Dokic on her way to the finals of the Princess Cup in Tokyo, then had her biggest week of the year at Filderstadt in Germany saving a match point against Amelie Mauresmo, then beating Davenport and Daniela Hantuchova to win the event.

At home, her efforts were recognised when together with Henin-Hardenne, they were awarded the Trophee Nationale du Merit Sportif from the Belgian Government, the first time tennis had been recognised since 1957. Clijsters’ peers voted her on to the WTA Tour Player Council representing players in the top 20.

The 19 year old finished the year on a high, beating both Williams sisters to take out the year end Sanex Championships in Los Angeles.

I typed it up myself so any of the spelling mistakes are mine.

Bigkimfan
Jan 6th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Lynx
Bigkimfan, from where do you have that information? On the site of the Australian Open (http://www.ausopen.org/en_AU/scores/draws/ws/index.html) it says "Please come back on 8 January for the 2003 Australian Open Women's Singles Draw" (men's & doubles also). That would be wednesday! :) :bounce: :)

That's the quali draw...;)

Lynx
Jan 7th, 2003, 03:42 AM
That's the quali draw...;) Oops! :o

Lynx
Jan 7th, 2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by kim&lleytonrule
I saw the Hopman cup match and Kim didn't play her best her serve let her down she didn't get enough 1st serves in. She also made a lot of errors particularly on her forehand she was setting up the points well but was missing a lot of short forehands which she would normally make. .../...Thanks for the info! So there is room for hope! :)

KaseyL
Jan 7th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Californication
I hope so too that she won't be in the same half as Serena.

C'mon Kimmie! Take the AO title! Here's hoping for a Lleyki Double! :hearts: :bounce:

second that!

-Fienesse-
Jan 8th, 2003, 07:57 PM
Which rank had Kim last year in the AO?

Cilla
Jan 9th, 2003, 12:30 AM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46561

Bump ;)

-Fienesse-
Jan 9th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Dank je elize

spiritfullfrog
Jan 9th, 2003, 11:47 PM
Kim's in Serena's half in the draw. :(

Hawk
Jan 9th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Although that does really suck that she's got Serena :( At least she's got the easier quarter..she has Myskina. IMO that's better than Monica, Justine or Hantuchova. :)

Cilla
Jan 10th, 2003, 12:11 AM
Pffff I knew that would happen :( Oh well, Myskina may not get that far anyway with her shoulder injury. Anyway Good Luck Kim we believe in you :kiss: :worship: :bounce:

Lynx
Jan 10th, 2003, 12:25 AM
All in all, I don't think it's such a bad draw for Kim. She should be able to get to the semi's (where probably Serena or Monica will be waiting, tired after playing the other one! :p )

Justine has to overcome Lindsay and Jen in her quarter - that's worse, methinks.

Cilla
Jan 10th, 2003, 12:47 AM
It is a pretty great draw on reflection ;)

First quarter

Serena Williams USA (1)
vs.
Emilie Loit FRA

Els Callens BEL
vs.
Martina Sucha SVK

Alina Jidkova RUS
vs.
Laura Granville USA

Maureen Drake CAN
vs.
Tamarine Tanasugarn THA (26)

Eleni Daniilidou GRE (18)
vs.
Marissa Irvin USA

Conchita Martinez Granados ESP
vs.
Amy Frazier USA

Daja Bedanova CZE
vs.
Iveta Benesova CZE

Sarah Taylor USA
vs.
Nathalie Dechy FRA (16)

Magdalena Maleeva BUL (11)
vs.
Marion Bartoli FRA

Eva Dyrberg DEN
vs.
Yoon Jeong Cho KOR

Aniko Kapros HUN
vs.
Rita Grande ITA

Vera Zvonareva RUS
vs.
Elena Bovina RUS (20)

Meghann Shaughnessy USA (25)
vs.
Qualifier

Mariana Diaz-Oliva ARG
vs.
Ludmila Cervanova SVK

Qualifier
vs.
Qualifier

Lubomira Kurhajcova SVK
vs.
Monica Seles USA (6)

Second quarter:

Kim Clijsters BEL (4)
vs.
Samantha Reeves USA

Petra Mandula HUN
vs.
Silvija Talaja CRO

Tatiana Poutchek BLR
vs.
Tina Pisnik SLO

Cristina Torrens Valero ESP
vs.
Iva Majoli CRO (29)

Amanda Coetzer RSA (19)
vs.
Barbara Schett AUT

Rossana Neffa-De Los Rios PAR
vs.
Qualifier

Maja Matevzic SLO
vs.
Casey Dellacqua AUS

Meilen Tu USA
vs.
Anna Pistolesi ISR (14)

Chanda Rubin USA (10)
vs.
Qualifier

Patricia Wartusch AUT
vs.
Mary Pierce FRA

Antonella Serra Zanetti ITA
vs.
Martina Muller GER

Qualifier
vs.
Elena Dementieva RUS (17)

Clarisa Fernandez ARG (28)
vs.
Adriana Szili AUS

Asa Svensson SWE
vs.
Magui Serna ESP

Marie-Gaianeh Mikaelian SUI
vs.
Emmanuelle Gagliardi SUI

Qualifier
vs.
Anastasia Myskina RUS (8)

~|Naomi|~
Jan 10th, 2003, 01:19 AM
I'm annoyed Kim is in Serensa's half but I think her quarter is really good, Myskina in the quarters. Ireally think if she plays well I can't see her not making the semis! Henins draw is terrible Lindsay fourth round and Casanova up first:o I'm happy that isn't Kim's draw, Kim's draw is good, she avoided Bovina and Davenport and Molik, the three dangerous floaters

So basically other thatn having Serena in her half I think it is a really good draw for Kim anf I only hope that she can take advantage of it and she won't be too tired. Henin's draw is the worst so from Kim's ranking point of view that is lucky

Bigkimfan
Jan 10th, 2003, 05:57 AM
It isn't really bad but she is in Serena's half...:rolleyes:

Elleke
Jan 10th, 2003, 06:00 AM
I'm happy with the draw :D! Good luck Kimmy!!

Hawk
Jan 10th, 2003, 06:17 AM
Now that i've actually seen the whole draw, Kim actually has a great draw! :D Yes she does have Serena in the semi's :fiery: but other than that..she should breeze till that point..she's got Pistolesi and Myskina..plus Myskina has an injury I believe so she might not even make it that far. Compared to some of the other players Kim's draw looks good. :D

Yeah, I think Kim's draw is rather good too. Normally she should be safe till the quarters and even then she should make it without too much trouble. Serena in the semi's. I think it's good. Wheter it's Venus or Serena doesn't really matter, they're both very though to beat but Kim knows she can beat Serena as she did it only last November. Besides that S has to play Monica first which will be very hard for her I think (remember M beat V last year in the quarters). So yeah, Kim really had a stroke of luck I think (certainly if you look at Justines draw:( )

OrangeFrog
Jan 10th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Kim is third on TAB sportsbet to win the Aussie Open! :bounce:

(behind Serena and Venus :mad: )

Lleytons the favourite to win the men's singles :bounce:

Primula
Jan 11th, 2003, 10:30 AM
OOOOOh I'm so excited !!!!!!

kit
Jan 11th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Kim has a good chance to win the AusOpen!!!
Good luck and come on!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hawk
Jan 11th, 2003, 06:33 PM
I think one of the benefits of being in the top half of the draw is that she doesn't have to play Monday..that's good, cause i'm sure she could use a little rest after the Adidas. :)

pruts
Jan 11th, 2003, 08:04 PM
come on Kim :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

OrangeFrog
Jan 12th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Yeah! C'mon Kim! (As Lleyton would put it) ;)

OrangeFrog
Jan 12th, 2003, 08:50 AM
For those of you who are filling out the Australian Open draw, here are the qualifiers:

25 - Meghann Shaughnessy (USA)
vs
Q - Nuria Llagostera Vives (ESP)

Q - Klara Koulakova (CZE)
vs
Q - Maria Sharapova (RUS)

Rossana Neffa-De Los Rios (PAR)
vs
Q - Jelena Jankovic (YUG)

10 - Chanda Rubin (USA)
vs
Q - Melinda Czink (HUN)

Q - Barbara Schwartz (AUT)
vs
17 - Elena Dementieva (RUS)

Q - Eva Fislova (SVK)
vs
8 - Anastasia Myskina (RUS)

second half......

Akiko Morigami (JAP)
vs
Q - Stanislava Hrozenka (SVK)

30 - Janette Husarova (SVK)
vs
Q - Maria Emilia Salerni (ARG)

Q - Vanessa Webb (CAN)
vs
Maria Sanchez Lorenzo (ESP)

27 - Lisa Raymond (USA)
vs
Q - Lindsay Lee-Waters (USA)

Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP)
vs
Q - Ansley Cargill (USA)

Shine On Silver Moon
Jan 12th, 2003, 09:19 AM
Kimmie...I am confident that you will 2003 AO winner! Keep Clijstersing!!!:) :cool: :D :wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Lleykimmy1
Jan 12th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Does Elke play the juniors ??

:wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey:

COME ON KIM YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elleke
Jan 12th, 2003, 10:01 AM
no elke won't play the AOjuniors she'll play the week of 20 Januar a futurestournament in GBR or France.. :D

Lleykimmy1
Jan 12th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by elke_belke
no elke won't play the AOjuniors she'll play the week of 20 Januar a futurestournament in GBR or France.. :D

Thank you very much !!

:wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey:

COME ON KIM YOU CAN DO IT

pruts
Jan 12th, 2003, 03:44 PM
i have an article where kim says when i get so far as i think and hope i also have to play seven matches witch means to the final !:) :bounce:

Cilla
Jan 12th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Davenport praises Clijsters
By Margie McDonald
January 13, 2003

KIM CLIJSTERS may not call Australia home, but she starts the Open today with home advantage having spent the best part of six weeks honing her game on Rebound Ace.

The intense practice netted Clijsters the Sydney title on Saturday and could also give her the edge at the Australian Open, according to three-time grand slam champion Lindsay Davenport.

"I think she's definitely going to win a slam," Davenport, 26, said after losing 6-4 6-3 to Clijsters in the Adidas International final.

"I can't tell you if it's going to be in the next two weeks but I would think she has an advantage over the other players from being down here so long and playing on Rebound Ace."

Clijsters went to boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt's home town Adelaide after the WTA end-of-season championships in Los Angeles in November, which she won after claiming her semi-final against Venus Williams, who retired during the first set, and beating Serena in the final.

Clijsters trained in South Australia throughout December before she and Hewitt went to Perth to play for their respective countries in the Hopman Cup.

Davenport has a good perspective on the Clijsters game having played her seven times in 2000 and 2001 -- winning six -- before knee surgery put the American out for six months.

Since Davenport's return last July they have met three times, with Clijsters winning two.

"She's so fast and, you know, like I said, her game's coming together where she's cutting down on her errors," Davenport said.

"She's a lot more consistent and a lot more confident. A lot of times in tennis, confidence is kind of what you need to get you over the hump of being a semi or quarter-finalist to being a winner."

Davenport thinks Clijsters, a 7-1 chance with sportsacumen, has cleared that hurdle.

"You still have to go through the Williamses and you still have to go through some other players, but I would put her and Serena as favourites (in Melbourne) for sure."

Clijsters and Serena met in the Hopman Cup with Williams dominant for a 7-5 6-3 win.

Fellow Belgian Justine Henin-Hardenne has met Clijsters 10 times on tour, but she probably knows the Clijsters game even better since they grew up playing each other in age and national championships and are on the Fed Cup team together.

Henin-Hardenne, who lost to Clijsters in straight sets in the Adidas semi-finals on Friday night, also sees vast improvements in her game.

The pair met in Los Angeles after not playing each other for more than six months.

"I was a bit surprised in that match in the championship that she didn't do a lot of mistakes," Henin-Hardenne said.

"She didn't go for the winners all the time. She could play rallies and keep the ball in court.

"She's more regular, more solid and she's a complete player. She's so much better than she was one year ago."

Clijsters knows she has improved, recalling the time in the third round of the 1999 US Open when she was 5-3 up in the final set against Serena Williams.

"But I choked. I didn't know how to handle the situation but now I know how to do it," Clijsters said.

She agreed she was more consistent than a year ago, where she made the semis of the Australian Open, losing to eventual winner Jennifer Capriati.

"It's not that I'm working on anything specifically," she said.

"It's just something you learn by playing matches and being in tough situations and you know, you just keep your cool and keep everything under control."

The Australian

pcabenojar
Jan 13th, 2003, 05:12 AM
Got this from Yahoo Tennis...read on....

Women's Draw: Breaking down the Aussie Open
by Jon Wertheim, Sports Illustrated

1. Serena Williams: It's awfully hard to pick against a player who hasn't lost a Grand Slam match since 2001. Plus, unlike her sister, Serena looks to be in form.

2. Venus Williams: For a player who has never been at her best Down Under and who hasn't played much since last summer, it's perplexing that she didn't enter a tuneup. If she stays healthy, we're looking at our fourth straight all-Williams final -- but there's a nagging feeling here that her body won't hold up.

3. Jennifer Capriati: Haven't heard much from the Capster lately. Two-time defending champ has history on her side, but she hasn't won a solitary title since Melbourne 2002 and it has been more than a year since she's beaten either Williams.

4. Kim Clijsters: Can she build on her command performance in Los Angeles? "Aussie Kim" will get special dispensation from fans by dint of her relationship with Lleyton Hewitt.

5. Justine Henin-Hardenne: Newly betrothed but faced with same old predicament: Does her slight physical stature prevent her from upending the Big Babes?

6. Monica Seles: A new coach and her reportedly improved fitness are sources of optimism. But is former A.O. champ really capable of winning seven straight matches against the best and brightest?

7. Daniela Hantuchova: Ready for a breakout. Her draw certainly looks to be a willing accomplice.

8. Anastasia Myskina: Awfully benign draw ought to ensure that Russian lives up to her seeding.

9. Lindsay Davenport: Like Seles, she is with a new coach. If her game isn't too rusty, 2000 A.O. champ ought to reach quarters, at least.

10. Chanda Rubin: Former semifinalist will cruise into second week. But run will end against either Myskina or Clijsters.

11. Magdalena Maleeva: It says here she loses to Marion Bartoli in her first match.

12. Patty Schnyder: Lots of talent. If she keeps her head, she ought to square off in Round 4 against Hantuchova.

13. Silvia Farina Elia: Faces countrywoman Flavia Pennetta in first round. Evergreen Italienne tends to underachieve at Slams.

14. Anna Pistolesi: Can we sign a petition to reinstate "Smashnova"? Not a lot of weapons, but superior speed and conditioning should serve her well.

15. Alexandra Stevenson: Never summoned her best tennis at Slams in 2002, but the draw deities certainly smiled on her.

16. Nathalie Dechy: Won a tuneup and is a credible darkhorse, but still doesn't strike fear in Big Babes.

LOWER SEEDS WORTH WATCHING

17. Elena Dementieva: Has been in a two-year funk, but still capable of some quality tennis.

18. Eleni Daniilidou: The Paradorn Srichaphan of the women's tour. A hot commodity with ample power and fun, flashy game.

20. Elena Bovina: The tower of power. he tallest player on tour (6-foot-2 1/2) will be in the top 10 by year's end.

25. Meghann Shaughnessy: After a dismal 2002, the hard-working Phoenician is off to a hot start.

27. Lisa Raymond: As always, the faster the court plays the better she'll fare.

DANGEROUS FLOATERS

Tathiana Garbin: Athletic Italian rarely beats the big guns, but makes them work.

Alicia Molik: Australian won her first career title two weeks ago.

Laura Granville: Has a competitive resolve to match her strong game.

Marion Bartoli: Remember the name.

FIRST-ROUND MATCHES TO WATCH

Henrieta Nagyova vs. Anna Kournikova: Anna factor aside, these are two of the top five or so unseeded players.

Dinara Safina vs. No. 32 Katarina Srebotnik: Marat Safin's li'l sis will take out a seed off the bat.

Stevenson vs. Elena Baltacha: Two of the harder servers in women's tennis.

Stephanie Foretz vs. Evgenia Koulikovskaya: You've never seen a style like Koulikovskaya's. Trust me.

No. 19 Amanda Coetzer vs. Barbara Schett: Two former top-10ers meet early

PREDICTIONS

Semifinals: Serena Williams vs. Clijsters, Davenport vs. Hantuchova
Final: Williams vs. Hantuchova
Champion: Williams

OrangeFrog
Jan 13th, 2003, 06:24 AM
No Waaaaay!!!

Kim is gonna win the AusOpen!!! What the heck is Hantuchova doing in the prediction of the finals?:devil:

~|Naomi|~
Jan 13th, 2003, 07:17 AM
Kim's second up pn Vodafone Arena tomorrow. The womens matches on Rod laver are Seles and Serena Williams. This is crap why don't the slams ever put Kim on the centre court:fiery: She just won Sydney and is the 4th player in the world and is therefore the 2nd highest ranked woman playing tomorrow but they don't put her on centre court:fiery:

I don't like Paul McNamee:fiery: Not putting Kim on centre:fiery: At least she isn't on 1 or 2 like he put kim on last year:fiery:

Primula
Jan 13th, 2003, 07:22 AM
Yeah and if they consider Kim as one of them (the Aussies), why isn't she playing on centre-court?? :rolleyes:

Oh and I don't think (i'm sure) that it doesn't bother Kim at all !!

~|Naomi|~
Jan 13th, 2003, 07:36 AM
I know I am an Aussie but it pisses me off how they try to claim Kim as ours, because I feel for Belgium as she is BELGIAN. So if she is "Aussie Kim" or "Our Kim" as the media like to say and if it is a "home grand slam for Kim" as McNamee says then why don't they treat her like it and put her on Rod Laver:mad:

~|Naomi|~
Jan 13th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Don't get me wrong though I would love Kim to be an aussie but i think she should stay Belgian cause nationality isn't really somehting you can change over night, you can't just wake up one morning and say hey I feel like being chinese today, it isn't like that and also Belgium have put a lot of development and support into her so I'm sure she will always stay Belgian

Jan 13th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Why couldn't Kim be on Rod laver tomorrow night? (I will be there)

Come-on-kim
Jan 13th, 2003, 10:06 AM
FOR THE BELGIANS!!!!!!!!

Will Canvas broadcast Kim's match?

Let's hope!!

Primula
Jan 13th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Don't get me wrong though I would love Kim to be an aussie but i think she should stay Belgian cause nationality isn't really somehting you can change over night, you can't just wake up one morning and say hey I feel like being chinese today, it isn't like that and also Belgium have put a lot of development and support into her so I'm sure she will always stay Belgian

I totally agree, I would be really dissappointed if Kim becomes an Aussie in a few years time!!

Filip!
Jan 13th, 2003, 10:58 AM
What is Hantuchova doing in that prediction?? Hantuchova in the final??
She's not in good form, she needed three sets to win her first match and also last week, she was not very good... Stupid predicitons...

Jan 13th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Ignore the Australian media. Kim said she would only apply for Australian citizenship if it made an EXTREME difference to her tax (but she loves Belgium and doesn't want to leave). The Australian media just keep crapping on about it because they want her to play Fed. Cup for us.

Primula
Jan 13th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Kim and Ai are seeded as nr 7 !! :bounce: :bounce:

Pinkie
Jan 13th, 2003, 02:04 PM
The Guardian (London)

January 13, 2003

HEADLINE: Clijsters has measure of the champions: This could be year of the
honorary Australian, writes Eleanor Preston in Melbourne

If you fail to prepare then prepare to fail, or so the self-help books say.
Perhaps Kim Clijsters has been reading them lately for she certainly appears
determined to be the best prepared woman in the Australian Open draw.

Clijsters's convincing 6-4, 6-3 win over Lindsay Davenport in the Adidas
International final in Sydney on Saturday put the finishing touches to what has
been a textbook warm-up.

The Belgian, who reached the Australian Open semi-finals last year, is in a
well-timed run of blistering form.

Such has been the hype surrounding her that she spent much of her post-match
interview in Sydney trying to dampen talk of her being a favourite for the first
grand slam of the year.

She will share that pressure with her boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt, the men's
world No1 and hot favourite to win the title. He appears to be having a greater
and greater influence on her career and while Clijsters is anxious to be a star
in her own right, there is no doubt she has benefited from having him as her
regular practice partner and confidant.

Her PR minders discourage any mention of Hewitt for fear of casting her as a
trophy girlfriend, yet she happily admits that his achievements have been an
inspiration.

"When Lleyton won the Wimbledon and US Open, that was amazing. I felt like I
won them as well," she said. "That's what really made me realise how much it
means for a tennis player to win those big events."

Clijsters's connection with Hewitt also means she is treated as an honorary
Australian and can expect the warmest of welcomes in the coming fortnight. The
media and public here are intoxicated by the notion of a Hewitt-Clijsters
double, a romantic fairytale which would have the headline writers salivating.
The pair met at the Australian Open players' party three years ago and have been
inseparable since.

The 19-year-old has now won four of her last five tournaments, stretching
back to Filderstadt in October, and has notched up an impressive 21 victories in
23 matches.

Along the way she picked up by far the biggest title of her career by
winning the WTA Championships in Los Angeles in November. More important she did
what no other player has managed for nearly two years, namely beating both the
Williams sisters consecutively. Cynics - and the disarmingly modest Clijsters
for that matter - will point out that Venus was injured in the semi-final but
there was nothing lucky about the win over Serena in the final.

"I think Venus and Serena have played so well these last few years and have
been up there, but it's nice for other players to see that they are beatable,"
she said at the time. Having cracked the veneer of invincibility that has built
up around Serena in particular in the past 12 months, Clijsters appears poised
to go one better than her appearance in 2001 French Open final. On that occasion
she came within a whisker of snatching the title at Roland Garros from under
Jennifer Capriati's serve, finally surrendering at 12-10 in the third set.

After that Clijsters fell into what was, by her standards, a fallow period,
during which she struggled with a niggling arm injury and split from her
long-time coach Carl Maes.

Now back on track, and working with Marc Dehous, she has engaged the help of
a full-time fitness trainer to make the most of her enviable speed.

Having inherited the powerful legs of her footballer father Leo and the
suppleness of her gymnast mother Els, Clijsters could scarcely be more
genetically equipped.

"You know I'm very happy to have my type of legs, especially to play sport,"
she said recently. "Maybe not for modelling or something but to play tennis you
have to run a lot of balls down and for that I think my legs are very good."

Apart from a brief holiday to the Gold Coast, she and Hewitt have spent this
year's Christmas break hitting on the Rebound Ace surface.

"I would think she has a big advantage over the other players from being
here so long and playing on the Rebound Ace," said Davenport. "I think she's
definitely going to win a slam, I just don't know if it's going to be in the
next two weeks or not."

Only a fool would bet against it. Davenport, for one, tipped her and Serena
Williams as her picks for the title but Clijsters, sensibly, was having none of
it.

"You're never there if you haven't done it," she said with characteristic
level-headedness. "In a small tournament, you have to win four or five matches.
In a grand slam you have to do everything for two weeks. I think that's still
maybe something that I have to get, a little more experience in the grand
slams."

Cilla
Jan 13th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the article Tinne! I just went to the corner shop to buy it-55p it cost & I only wanted the sports section :p :o It has a big pic of the clevage shot (Tinne :p) Vs Henin in Sydney and the Wimby Kiss :angel: There'a also a Lleyton article underneath but it doesn't mention Kim so I won't post it :p Looks like I'll be staying up late to watch Kim then, Good Luck Kimmy! :worship: :bounce: :kiss:

Bigkimfan
Jan 13th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Damn, I have the feeling Kim is in the wrong side of the draw!:sad: Especially now Capriati is out!:sad:

Come-on-kim
Jan 13th, 2003, 05:01 PM
NO NEWS ON KIM'S MATCH BEING ON CANVAS?

Bigkimfan
Jan 13th, 2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Come-on-kim
NO NEWS ON KIM'S MATCH BEING ON CANVAS?

No, they said with juju's match that the time was inconvenient! :rolleyes: So I don't think they're gonna broadcast Kim's match...:sad:

Kornelija
Jan 13th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Bigkimfan, I agree with you. I think it would be hundred times better for Kim to be in Venus half, because she isn't that tough to beat as Serena. But anyway Kim if she can keep her level and attitude up can win AO, or at least make Serena play a very exhausting and long match in semis.

Come-on-kim
Jan 13th, 2003, 08:37 PM
No, they said with juju's match that the time was inconvenient! :rolleyes: So I don't think they're gonna broadcast Kim's match...:sad:

PFFF, can't they show it at 8am?

valentine
Jan 13th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Come-on-kim
PFFF, can't they show it at 8am?
They don't show the match???:fiery: :sad: :sad: :fiery:

lleytnkim
Jan 13th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Hayden's_Sheila
There'a also a Lleyton article underneath but it doesn't mention Kim so I won't post it :p

Cills, post it in LL Lounge if you haven't already. ;)

kit
Jan 13th, 2003, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the article!!
And good luck tomorrow,Kim!!Come on!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Jan 13th, 2003, 10:56 PM
More articles, this one from the past weekend:

Note: I have taken the lines re Kim.

Source: Scotland on Sunday, Jan. 12, 2003

Swingers revel in courtship

Alix Ramsay

Clijsters knows better than most how Hewitt thinks, and his attitudes and work ethic are beginning to rub off on her. She beat Serena Williams to claim her WTA championship trophy and, while she has lost to the world No1 since, she has developed a taste for big matches on big stages. Not that she thought it so surprising that she had won her first major title.

"I had a few experiences, maybe not with my own game, but when Lleyton won Wimbledon and the US Open, that was amazing. I felt like I won them as well. That’s what really made me realise how much it means, and how much it means for a tennis player to win those big events," said Clijsters, who beat Lindsay Davenport 6-4 6-3 to lift the Sydney International tournament yesterday.

"Lleyton wants to win every match. And it doesn’t matter who he’s playing, whether it’s Pete Sampras or someone who is 200 in the world - he wants to win every match. In Los Angeles I was doing everything very professional and 100%, so that’s what paid off."

It would take a leap of faith to believe that Clijsters could deny Serena the trophy: it is the one Grand Slam title missing from her collection, and victory would mean that she held all four major honours. But she could not have picked a better role model than her beau. And should she witness Hewitt winning at Melbourne Park, it might provide the impetus to give Williams and her sister, Venus, a run for their money.

KaseyL
Jan 13th, 2003, 10:59 PM
and another one from the UK:

Source: Sunday Herald (UK), Jan. 12, 2003

Clijsters' new game is biggest threat to sisters

Eleanor Preston reports on why a Belgian may become an Australian heroine

While Lleyton Hewitt continues to paint men's tennis in the green and gold of Australia, the search continues for a woman to do the same on the WTA Tour.

The fact that Alicia Molik's 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 victory over Amy Frazier of the USA in the final in Hobart on Friday was the first time an Australian woman has won a title in eight years speaks volumes for the parlous state of women's tennis here. While Molik will be cheered to the rafters at this week's Australian Open, Australia is rallying around Hewitt's girlfriend Kim Clijsters, who has been adopted by a public desperate to see home success, even if it comes in a de facto form.

Despite the fact that she has worked hard to escape from Hewitt's shadow, Clijsters is smart enough to encourage those who wish to embrace her as semi-Australian. When she was royally cheered by the crowd in Homebush as she beat Lindsay Davenport 6-4, 6-3 to take the Adidas International title in Sydney, the adoration appeared to be mutual.

The Belgian spent Christmas with Hewitt's family in Adelaide before heading north to the scorching heat of the Gold Coast for more practice against the world's best male player. After two months in these conditions and on Rebound Ace, she is arguably the best prepared woman in the draw.

Clijsters is rightly being touted as the only genuine chance the sport has of breaking the Williams sisters' hegemony. Last year Serena, pictured right, won three of the four Grand Slams, only missing out in Australia, and while she and Venus are still being marketed to the hilt, there are mutterings that their stranglehold is sucking the life from tennis. Just as Formula One struggles to cope with the superiority of Michael Schumacher and Ferrari, so tennis must find a way to loosen the Williams sisters' grip on the major trophies.

With Martina Hingis sidelined, perhaps permanently, and Jennifer Capriati looking thoroughly bored with tennis, few players seem to have the belief or the ability to stand up to the sisters. Right now Clijsters, who beat both sisters on her way to winning the year-end WTA Championships in November, is the best hope.
Clijsters, seeded fourth, has been drawn in the same half of the draw as Serena, but until their potential meeting in the semi-finals, neither has much to worry about.

Clijsters plays American also-ran Samantha Reeves in the first round. Between Reeves and Williams lie the likes of former French Open champion Iva Majoli and veteran South African Amanda Coetzer, neither of whom is likely to trouble her. The only potential booby trap is Anna Pistolesi, who broke a thousand headline writers' hearts by getting married at Christmas and losing the wonderfully appropriate name of Smashnova. Even with her new name, Pistolesi is a tricky customer and could be troublesome should she meet Clijsters in the last eight.

KaseyL
Jan 13th, 2003, 11:02 PM
and...

Source: Daily Telegraph (UK), Jan. 13, 2003

Hewitt and Clijsters head romantic stakes

By John Parsons in Melbourne

The possibility of singles titles for Lleyton Hewitt and his girlfriend, Kim Clijsters, in the Australian Open, starting in Melbourne today, is more than just a romantic notion.
Even the bookmakers, who predictably make Hewitt and Serena Williams favourites, concede that it is more than sentimental money which has made a Hewitt-Clijsters double the fourth most popular bet.

Despite his erratic form in the Hopman Cup during the first week of the year, Hewitt, the Wimbledon and world champion, is the favourite choice of his fellow players, as well as the punters, to become the first Australian to win the men's singles since Mark Edmondson beat a veteran Ken Rosewall in 1976.

After losing in the Hopman Cup final in Perth to the American, James Blake, Hewitt took himself off with his coach, Jason Stoltenberg, and fitness trainer, Roger Rasheed, to the former home of the New South Wales tournament at White City.
For five days he underwent a rigorous fitness regime and Stoltenberg said: "He's made himself a little stronger, he's in great shape. "He knows there's tremendous pressure on him to win in front of an Australian crowd expecting so much from him but that doesn't bother him. He relishes the challenge."

Clijsters, who has never looked fitter or started the year with greater confidence, certainly demonstrated in Sydney, where she won singles and doubles titles, that she is capable of repeating her stunning victory over Serena Williams in the WTA Championships last November. The pair are seeded to meet again in the semi-finals.

The latest endorsement of the way the 19-year-old Belgian has added control, without sacrificing any of the power or ingenuity in her aggressive game, came from from Lindsay Davenport, a triple Grand Slam winner, after Clijsters had beaten her 6-4, 6-3 in the final of the Adidas International on Saturday.

Davenport, hoping to regain the form which made her the Australian Open champion three years ago but still struggling with her footwork, said it was "only a matter of time" before the pugnacious Clijsters added her name to the roll of Grand Slam champions.

Even so Serena Williams, who missed last year's Melbourne event after being injured in Sydney, has already made it clear that her appetite for success, after winning the French, Wimbledon and US Open titles, is greater than ever. She lost only five of her 61 matches last year and has already thrown down the gauntlet to the rest by suggesting how nice it would be if she went through the whole of this year unbeaten.

For her part Clijsters was eager to play down her prospects, despite having won 19 of her last 20 matches. She said: "Naturally I think a Grand Slam win for me is possible but I don't think that will automatically follow just because I've won in Sydney.
"At the Slams we have to win seven matches for the title [in Sydney it was five] and all the players are so much more motivated in a Grand Slam, especially players like Venus and Serena Williams.
"I think I'm a lot more consistent than I was even half a year ago and moving better and I know I have to keep being as aggressive as possible. That's why I'm trying much more to come to the net and volley."

Not all coaches encourage romance on the tennis circuit but Stoltenberg believes the three-year relationship between Clijsters and Hewitt has been central to the Australian's spectacular rise to be world No 1.
"Lleyton and Kim are living the same life and understand the sacrifice they need to stay at the top in tennis," he said. "I believe they have a very happy, compatible relationship which makes it good for one another."

Hewitt's opening test tomorrow is against Magnus Larsson, the 32-year-old Swede who fought his way through qualifying after injuries contributed to him slipping way out of the top 100.
The one nagging doubt surrounding Hewitt is his serve. Although he got away with it, his first serve percentage during the Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai in November regularly dropped below 50 per cent.
Compared with most of his rivals for top honours, his stature is slight. His style, effectively a blend of wits and attrition, means he has to strive harder than most for his points and without the security of a consistently reliable first serve, that demands even more energy.

KaseyL
Jan 13th, 2003, 11:04 PM
from the International Herald Tribune, Jan. 13, 2003:

No longer hampered by the chronic arm pain that slowed her progress early last year, Clijsters is one of the very few who pose a threat to Serena here, which Clijsters underscored Saturday by winning a hardcourt warmup event in Sydney, beating a former Australian Open champion, Lindsay Davenport, in straight sets.

Serena and Clijsters are on the same side of the draw, which means that they could play in the semifinals.

KaseyL
Jan 13th, 2003, 11:07 PM
Think this isn't posted here so far....

from an article in the Guardian, Jan. 13, 2003

The lookalike girlfriend known Down Under as 'Our Kim' is universally loved in a Kylie sort of way. 'Australia is definitely my second home,' the Belgian said between applause at the Sydney International, a warm-up gig for this week's Australian Open in Melbourne.

It is difficult to understand from a distance what a star Hewitt is in his own country. Up close, you witness the full media overkill. Lleyton and Kim have taken over from the parted 'Nicole and Tom' as the paparazzi's couple of choice at first nights and airports, and, as Clijsters pointed out last week: 'I almost spend more time here than in Belgium.' Tough call there, Kim.

In fact the couple's playing schedule means they meet up only at grand slams and other moments they can squeeze in between major tournaments in the United States. He bought her a set of golf clubs for Christmas, a hint that she might like to join him on the course occasionally.

'I think he plays off six or seven,' she told reporters. 'I'll have to practise a lot [but] it's just too much walking for me. I think you have to walk around for five hours or something. I'd rather go shopping for five hours.'

So, as they polish their lines for a hungry media, go shopping - for golf clubs, toilet paper and whatever else celebrities do not already have too much of - Lleyton and Kim are growing up in public as best they can.

KaseyL
Jan 13th, 2003, 11:09 PM
and

Source: North Scotland Press and Journal, Jan. 13, 2003

Love match

KIM CLIJSTERS would not be drawn on the chances of a winning love-match at the Australian Open tennis championships, but odds of 23-1 that she and boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt both emerge successful in a fortnight would appear a good bet.

Hewitt is the world No. 1 and top seed, playing on the Rebound Ace surface that suits his game to a tee, while Clijsters carries into Melbourne Park the most imposing form of all the top women's seeds.

The Belgian's straight-sets win over Lyndsey Davenport at the adidas International in Sydney this weekend was her fourth win in five tournaments since October, taking her impressive run to 23 wins in 25 matches.

KaseyL
Jan 13th, 2003, 11:22 PM
and here's the BBC re Kim: (source: BBC Austrlian Open website 2003)

Clijsters can be considered somewhat unfortunate that her emergence has coincided with that of the all-conquering Williams sisters.

Without them, she may well have had a Grand Slam title to her name by now.

The 2001 French Open finalist consolidated her top-10 status in 2002 and finished strongly by winning the WTA Championships in Los Angeles.

In Australia, the Belgian teenager has already reached the semi-finals and her ability to mix power with delightful touch make her game ideal for the Rebound Ace surface of Melbourne Park.

nm_cb
Jan 14th, 2003, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the articles

Kim had no chance of being in the same half as capriati as
Seeds 1 and 4 are in the same half and seeds 2 and 3 and in thesame half. Always. So if Kim stays at number 3 and Venus is at number 2 they or vice-versa they will be in the same half.

Hawk
Jan 14th, 2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by nm_cb
Thanks for the articles

Kim had no chance of being in the same half as capriati as
Seeds 1 and 4 are in the same half and seeds 2 and 3 and in thesame half. Always. So if Kim stays at number 3 and Venus is at number 2 they or vice-versa they will be in the same half.

No Kim could have been in Venus' half. The number 3 and 4 seeds have a 50/50 chance of drawing the top half of the draw.

nm_cb
Jan 14th, 2003, 12:49 AM
My mistake! oops.

But I said Kim and Jennifer couldn't be in the same half like a lot of people were hoping!
But had the draw been different Jennifer may have not lost!

Hawk
Jan 14th, 2003, 02:57 AM
Kim won her first round match 6-2, 6-1. :D Way to go Kimmie!!

spiritfullfrog
Jan 14th, 2003, 02:59 AM
Way to go Kim!!!
:D:):D

Hawk
Jan 14th, 2003, 03:21 AM
Eliza, how did Kim do in the first set?..even though she won by a fairly easy score, it didn't look like she really dominated. It looked like most of the service games went to 40/30 or Deuce. Which technically means she can get even better :D

~|Naomi|~
Jan 14th, 2003, 03:21 AM
I agree tha 2nd set was much better than the 1st but she needs to serve better from now on and also cut down the UE's but today she made a lot of winners:)

~|Naomi|~
Jan 14th, 2003, 03:22 AM
The 1st set she didn't serve as well as she did in the 2nd and she also made more UE's in the 1st

KaseyL
Jan 14th, 2003, 03:45 AM
:)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Article about Kim's win:

and *cough* are the journalists reading this board? :D

Source: ABC Sport News, Jan. 14, 2003

Classy Clijsters goes through

Belgian fourth seed Kim Clijsters is through to the second round of the Australian Open after a 6-2, 6-1 win over the USA's Samantha Reeves in Melbourne today.

Clijsters, fresh from an impressive victory in the Sydney international last weekend, outclassed her 23-year-old opponent - ranked 112th in the world - in 1hr 2min.

In total Clijsters sent 22 winners down to Reeves' two, delighting a partisan crowd inside the Vodafone Arena. Clijsters, the girlfriend of home men's singles hope Lleyton Hewitt, left the court to rapturous applause.

Clijsters' consistent first serve and thudding forehand proved too much for Reeves to deal with, the Belgian securing her first set point with a majestic passing shot down the line.

Though she was unable to convert that opening, she was presented with another chance on the next point when Reeves double-faulted.

The American was sent scrambling around the back of the court in the next exchange, and Clijsters duly secured the set when Reeves sent a two-fisted return into the net.

Clijsters quickly went two breaks up in the second set, racing into a 4-0 lead to put the tie beyond her opponent.

Clijsters held to go five games up and had a match point on Reeves' serve in the sixth, but the American rallied to make it 5-1.

It was only a temporary reprieve though, as Clijsters wrapped up the win in the seventh, hammering an ace to give herself two match points. Another return from Reeves which found the net gave Clijsters the match.

Clijsters now faces Hungary's Petra Mandula in the second round.

KaseyL
Jan 14th, 2003, 03:53 AM
Source: Reuters, Jan. 14, 2003:

Quickfire win for fourth seed

Fourth seed Kim Clijsters crushed Samantha Reeves of the United States 6-2 6-1 on Tuesday to reach the second round of the Australian Open and show why she is one of the favourites for the title.

The Belgian hardly raised a sweat as she swept past Reeves in an hour to set up a meeting with Hungarian Petra Mandula.

Clijsters reached the semi-finals of the 2002 Australian Open but this time is looming as the biggest threat to Serena and Venus Williams, the top two seeds, after a brilliant run of form dating back to September last year.

The 19-year-old has won four of the past five tournaments she has entered, including the season-ending WTA championships in November where she beat world number one Serena, and last week's Sydney International.

Clijsters has won 20 of her last 21 singles matches and has spent the Australian summer working out with her boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt to improve her fitness for the first grand slam event of the year.

OrangeFrog
Jan 14th, 2003, 07:18 AM
It's good that Serena had a tough first match! She won against Emilie Loit 3-6 7-6(7-5) 7-5. Should've lost though.:(

spiritfullfrog
Jan 14th, 2003, 07:20 AM
From her press confererance...

K. CLIJSTERS/S. Reeves
6-2, 6-1 :D

MODERATOR: Questions for Kim.

Q. How have you built up the power in your game in the last year? Through weights, running?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No, well I've been doing a little bit more. When I had my shoulder injury, since then I've been doing a lot of shoulder exercises to stabilize my back and my shoulders. For the rest, I got my build from my dad. I've never really even touched weights or anything.
At the end of December 2002, I've been doing a lot of running and physical training with Lleyton's trainer, as well. I've been working out with them. I think it's been paying off.

Q. How close do you feel you are to the Williams sisters?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, I don't know. I mean, I don't really think like that, in that way. I just try to get the best out of my game, and then we'll see. I've beaten Serena and Venus once before. Every time I play against them, it's a different match.
I don't know how close I am. It's really hard to answer that, I think. Like I said, I try to get the best out of my own game. I try to get as fit as I can and to try to be able to compete with all the other, you know, top girls that are up there.

Q. You said you got your build from your father. What did you get from your mother?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I think my flexibility. She used to do gymnasts. I mean, for a strong girl like me, I think I'm very flexible, as well. So I think it's a very good mix to have.
I mean, so far, my shoulder injury has been my only problem, and I've never had any really big problems with my legs. So that's been good.

KaseyL
Jan 14th, 2003, 07:37 AM
thanks for the interview.

Kim had an interview on Flemish major public radio station Radio 1 this morning (7 o'clock news); as usual talking so fast LOL

sounded very confident, and in very good spirits. Said she preferred this match than a one-sided one. The score didn't tell but she had to make an effort.

Here's a part from an article by AFP, Jan. 14, 2003:

While Williams was labouring to victory over Loit, there were no such worries for Belgian fourth seed Kim Clijsters, who revelled in the vocal support of the Australian fans to cruise into the second round.

Clijsters, the boyfriend (*cough*, :o :p written by a sleepy journalist LOL) of men's world number one Lleyton Hewitt, breezed past the United States' Samantha Reeves 6-2, 6-1.

She left the court to a rapturous applause from Australian fans, who have clearly adopted her as one of their own.

Clijsters is regarded as the biggest threat to the dominance of the Williams sisters in the women's event.

But she declined to assess her chances of prevailing over the American duo after her win, which set up a meeting with Hungary's Petra Mandula.

"I don't know, I don't really think in that way," Clijsters said, when asked if she felt she could beat the Williams sisters. "I'll just try to get the best out of my game and we'll see.

"I've beaten Serena and Venus once before. But everytime you play them it's a different match," said Clijsters, who bombarded Reeves with 22 winners during the routine workout.

Micky
Jan 14th, 2003, 09:30 AM
i went to the match:) and kim was in fine form!! first she came out for a warm up with her coach(i think?!) and she shared the court with Chanda. Kim is so sweet, when Chanda's dad or coach (not sure what he is) came out kim ran up to him and gave him a hug, and the same with this other guy who came, kim went up and kissed him! she then signed and autograph for like everyone, then once again when she had just won, she was signing them for like 15 minutes. she is soo nice

~|Naomi|~
Jan 14th, 2003, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the report Micky:) Kim seems to be friends with everyone she is so nice and freindly:)

Interesting thing is that Jaslyn and her boyfriend were at the match watching Kim they showed them on TV sitting with Lleyton and nJaslyn's parents

Micky
Jan 14th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Lleyton wasn't there, but ur right his parents were, is that her boyfriend, wow he is very tall

Cilla
Jan 14th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Well Done Kim :worship: Yeah Jaslyn's bf Joachim Johansson is very tall and very nice :drool: I'm a fan of his ;) :p

Come-on-kim
Jan 14th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Will the belgian TV broadcast all of Kim's other matches?

I hope so!!

Bigkimfan
Jan 14th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Well done Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw the 2nd set on ARD!!! She played great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

angele87
Jan 14th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Well done Kim :D

And I'm another big fan of Jaslyn's boyfriend :hearts: :drool: :lick:

kit
Jan 14th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Well done Kimmie!!!
Thanks for the articles and the interview!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Kornelija
Jan 14th, 2003, 02:35 PM
KIM YOU ARE THE BEST!!! SO GO AND GRAB THAT DAMN FIRST GRAND SLAM!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

pruts
Jan 14th, 2003, 07:16 PM
did't the belgian tv showed Kim's match?????:confused:

Elleke
Jan 14th, 2003, 08:23 PM
well done Kim! lets hope it continues like this! :D

ClijstersHewitt
Jan 14th, 2003, 08:26 PM
I am also a Pim Pim fan. :hearts: :kiss: :drool: :lick: :worship:

And well done Kim. :p :worship:

Cilla
Jan 14th, 2003, 11:07 PM
Did anyone see Kim's Post Match interview on TV? :p She's so cute :D This bit was funny! She said this:

At the end of December 2002, I've been doing a lot of running and physical training with Lleyton's trainer, as well.

She couldn't think what year it was last year :p She said at the end of December two thousand and................*pause*.....two :o :p It was so funny/cute the way her face looked when she had to think about it for so long :p

Primula
Jan 15th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Hihi idd it was funny!!

nm_cb
Jan 15th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Tomorrow Kim is the second match on vodafone arena (singles)
And the last match on court 18 for doubles!! What is Paul McNamee doing?? Number 7 seeds on court 18???

Calvin
Jan 15th, 2003, 09:51 AM
Tomorrow Kim is the second match on vodafone arena (singles)
And the last match on court 18 for doubles!! What is Paul McNamee doing?? Number 7 seeds on court 18???

its ridiculous indeed: its a match that features 2 Asian players, 1 Aussie and 1 Aussie-crowd favourite... heaps of people would love to see it, whereas Chanda Rubin (however much i respect her) gets to play on show courts twice! :fiery:

just coz Anna Kournikova attracts crowds :rolleyes: didn't they learn anything from her match against Justine :o

KaseyL
Jan 15th, 2003, 01:48 PM
In the Lleyki articles thread I've posted about the latest Knack article re tennis. More than two pages are about Lleyton, but there is a small interview with Kim on page 66 as well.

Source: Knack, Jan. 15, 2003
translated by Ingrid

Highlights from "Belgians Down Under":

Kim: ‘I play far much better than this time last year. I feel that I am stronger, both physically and mentally. The victory over Serena Williams in the Masters was a great feeling, of course. I even found it a bit a pity that the season was over, and I enjoyed commencing the training a lot. My first goal for 2003 is simply to remain healthy, to play a full year without injuries. But in my current form, I especially want to be successful at the Australian Open, of course. I certainly don’t consider the first rounds of a grand slam as a waste of time. You need them to try things, and if all goes well, you then can use these later in the top encounters with the Williamses, Capriati, Seles and a Davenport. I really am already looking forward to duels with these girls.”

(Note: Knack is the leading weekly news magazine in Flanders)

Lleykimmy1
Jan 15th, 2003, 02:42 PM
COME ON KIMMIE I KNOW THAT YOU CAN WIN THE AUSSIE OPEN !!!!!!

:wavey: :bounce: :worship: :wavey: :bounce: :worship: :wavey: :bounce: :worship:

Bigkimfan
Jan 15th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Good luck against Mandula!!! You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Jan 15th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Interview with Kim:

Source: De Standaard, Jan. 15, 2003

Kim Clijsters keeps cool under pressure of Australian media and public

“Don’t call me a top favourite”

by Frank Depoorter, translated by Ingrid

MELBOURNE – If Kim Clijsters is popular in Australia? Don’t doubt that at all!

Kim: “When I resumed training in December with Lleyton in Adelaide, a camerateam was camping in front of our front door during four days. :eek: Terrible. Each time we had to escape through the back yard of the neighbours. The common people leave us alone, though. Australians aren’t intrusive.”

With more effort than the 6-2, 6-1 score would suggest, she beat Samantha Reeves in the first round yesterday.

Kim: “ A first match is always difficult. Look at Venus and Serena Williams. Capriati even was beaten by Weingartner. I’d liked it better if she had won. Big names who get far, that is the most beautiful though. Besides, I am on very good terms with Jennifer. I find this very sad for her.”

Both Clijsters (WTA 4) and Henin (WTA 5) are ranked above Capriati after the Australian Open. It doesn’t mean of course that they will automatically become world number three and four, after Serena and Venus Williams, because the results of Seles and Hantuchova will also be determinating for this.

“My ranking doesn’t keep me from my sleep anyway”, Kim swears.

She also doesn’t want to be cited as top favourite in Melbourne, nevertheless the international and especially the Australian media eagerly do so.

“No. Because it’s my opinion that there are more girls who have the potential to win this grand slam. I look at my tournament match by match, like I always do.”

The first round, then. “That was a tough one, despite the fact that Reeves won only three games. I am not satisfied with my level. I started here far below the level I had in Sydney on Saturday.”

Clijsters couldn’t dominate enough, made too many unforced errors and served very moderately. Moreover, Reeves (WTA 112) offered a lot of resistance with hard hitting serves and flat hitting. “It has to be better in the second round against Mandula. She even hits flatter. No easy opponent.”

At noon, the Vodaphone Arena, the second biggest court, was totally filled up for Clijsters vs Reeves. Admiring oooh’s each time Clijsters did her athletic trademark, or for beautiful winners, and a standing ovation at the end. And even the large Dutch legion was very vocal about being in favour of Kimmie.

Top favourite, in spite of herself. On the other hand, something nice for Kim after all: she has the same day off as Lleyton.

“Lovely! We don’t have to think about anything then. Otherwise, we are always concerned about the match of the other one. We can completely relax together now.” :)

Katja
Jan 15th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Canvas showed Justine's match this afternoon, so maybe they'll do the same thing with Kim's match tomorrow?

:bounce: :bounce: GO KIM!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

valentine
Jan 15th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Katja
Canvas showed Justine's match this afternoon, so maybe they'll do the same thing with Kim's match tomorrow?

yes they will do the same tomorow but I don't undresand why they don't show it live...:mad:

Kornelija
Jan 15th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Yesterday in the evening on the Eurosport they showed the Australian stories. And they showed a very short interview with Kim and also showed how she arrived. Well she didn't say much. She just said she had been really delighted with having to play a more normal match which didn't last for 45min. She also added it was far more tougher than the score showed. And she feels as if she had a pretty hard competition there. And one more thing she said she really enjoyed playing the 1st, 2nd round matches because it's a great preparation for the upcoming matches in the grand slam.

GO GO KIM KIM!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Jan 15th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Katja

yes, but it's not good enough! :mad: :fiery:

Cilla
Jan 15th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by KaseyL
On the other hand, something nice for Kim after all:she has the same day off as Lleyton.

“Lovely! We don’t have to think about anything then. Otherwise, we are always concerned about the match of the other one. We can completely relax together now.”:)
:D :D :D

Good Luck against Mandula Kim :D :D I hope Eurosport show it live!

Come-on-kim
Jan 15th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Good Luck Kim against Petra!!:bounce: :bounce:

Elleke
Jan 15th, 2003, 07:23 PM
GOOD LUCK KIM :D:bounce:
in singles and doubles with Ai :D

Elke
Jan 15th, 2003, 07:50 PM
'Australians are nice people.....'

Kim Clijsters realises she's popular in Australia. 'Sometimes, they look at you on the streets or in restaurants, but they don't bother us. They are really nice people. The press, on the contrary, they go too far sometimes. At Lleytons home, they just put the cameras over the wall. When we want to leave the house, we have to run through the garden of the neighbours. And when we are playing tennis, you can be sure some camera will show up! Ach, it's a pity things have to go that way...'

kit
Jan 15th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Good Luck Kim against Mandula!!COME ON!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Jan 15th, 2003, 08:17 PM
Go Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Jan 15th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Source: SportsTicker, Jan. 15, 2003

On the women's side, fourth seed Kim Clijsters, who lost just three games in the first round, goes after her 200th career singles match win when she meets Petra Mandula of Hungary.

The 19-year-old Belgian captured her 11th career title last week at Sydney and has won 20 of 21 WTA Tour matches since a semifinal loss to Anastasia Myskina in September at Leipzig. Since that defeat, she has won four titles, including the season-ending championship at Los Angeles over Serena Williams.

KaseyL
Jan 15th, 2003, 09:33 PM
Source: The Globe and Mail (Canada), Jan. 15, 2003

Highlight from article by Tomm Tebbutt

Kim Clijsters, the fourth seed, rivals Williams as the best athlete on tour. She comes by it naturally because her father Leo was selected Belgium's best soccer player in 1988 and her mother Els was a gymnast. "I got my [solid] build from my father," Clijsters said yesterday after beating Samantha Reeves of the United States, 6-2, 6-1.

From her mother, Clijsters added, "I got my flexibility. For a strong girl like me, I think I'm pretty flexible." Anyone who has seen her slide on hard courts would not dispute that.

Off the court, Clijsters has dexterity of another sort. Apparently, when she is in Adelaide, Australia, staying with Hewitt, her boyfriend, the paparazzi try anything to get pictures of them, including using cranes. :eek:

She foils those efforts by climbing the fence and going out the back door of the neighbour's place next door. :D

and another article:

Source: AP, Jan. 15, 2003

WORKING OUT

Kim Clijsters arrived in Melbourne in a confident mood after her win in the Sydney International last week - and buoyed by a holiday season of tough training.

"I've been doing a lot of shoulder exercises to stabilize my back and shoulders," said Clijsters, who trained with boyfriend and men's world No.1 Lleyton Hewitt over Christmas.

Since "the end of December, I've been doing a lot of running and physical training with Lleyton's trainer as well. I've been working out with them and I think it's been paying off."

The 19-year-old Clijsters, seeded fourth, opened with a 6-2, 6-1 win over American Samantha Reeves and next faces Petra Mandula of Hungary on Thursday.

Clijsters was beaten by Jennifer Capriati in the 2001 French Open final. Last November beat Venus and Serena Williams en route to winning the season-ending WTA Championships at Los Angeles.
At last year's Australian Open she was the first Belgian to reach the semis at Melbourne Park before a three-set loss to Capriati.

She says she's not focusing here on the Williams sisters, ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the world and rival finalists in the last three Grand Slam events.
"I don't know how close I am," she said. "I just try to get the best out of my game."

Pinkie
Jan 16th, 2003, 05:07 AM
:D :D :D :D 6-0 6-0
:D :D :D :D 33 minutes

Oh My God!:D :D

Hawk
Jan 16th, 2003, 05:21 AM
WOO HOO!! :D

Way to go Kimmie!! Total dominance! :eek:

Gonzo Hates Me!
Jan 16th, 2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Pinkie
:D :D :D :D 6-0 6-0
:D :D :D :D 33 minutes

Oh My God!:D :D

Yeah, exactly my reaction! OH MY GOD!!!! LOL!

pcabenojar
Jan 16th, 2003, 06:35 AM
From BBC, Gamewatch: Clijsters v Mandula

All the action as fourth seed Kim Clijsters takes on Hungary's Petra Mandula in Melbourne.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game-by-game updates:

Second set

Clijsters 6-0 6-0 Mandula
The inevitable is concluded with a double fault from Mandula as she loses a 12th straight game, to love, on her own serve. The match lasts 32 minutes.

Clijsters 6-0 5-0 Mandula
Clijsters is in total control of her game, despite dropping another couple of points on her serve.

Clijsters 6-0 4-0 Mandula
Again Mandula threatens to win a game by reaching 30-all, but Clijsters clearly has her sights set on a whitewash.

Clijsters 6-0 3-0 Mandula
Clijsters is a girl in a hurry. Mandula reaches the relative success of 30-all before two solid serves from the Belgian give her a ninth straight game.

Clijsters 6-0 2-0 Mandula
Mandula is still no nearer to getting off the mark as the Clijsters barrage continues on her serve.

Clijsters 6-0 1-0 Mandula
There is no let up for the Hungarian as Clijsters confidently holds her serve in the opening game of the second set.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First set

Clijsters 6-0 Mandula
Serving to stay in the set, Mandula starts with a double fault and a delicate Clijsters drop shot from the back of the court helps her to the opening set in just 16 minutes.

Clijsters 5-0 Mandula
Clijsters is barely breaking sweat as she comfortably holds her own service game to move within a game of the first set.

Clijsters 4-0 Mandula
The number four seed is in complete control as she breaks Mandula's serve for a second time with relative ease.

Clijsters 3-0 Mandula
Clijsters nets a backhand to give Mandula two break points at 15-40. But the Belgian reels off the next four points to establish a commanding early lead.

Clijsters 2-0 Mandula
Mandula struggles immediately with her service and her groundstrokes, losing her own serve to love.

Clijsters 1-0 Mandula
Clijsters - with strong support from the Melbourne crowd - makes a confident start, holding her serve to love.

spiritfullfrog
Jan 16th, 2003, 06:51 AM
Congrats Kim! What a great game! :D

------------

Posted on Thu, Jan. 16, 2003, Cansas City

Clijsters Whitewashes Poor Mandula

MELBOURNE - Fourth seed Kim Clijsters destroyed Hungary's Petra Mandula 6-0, 6-0 in little more than half an hour Thursday to race into the third round of the Australian Open.

Clijsters powered through in 33 minutes, easily the fastest match of the tournament so far, to once again show why she is one of the championship favorites.

The Belgian conceded just 17 points to Mandula, who became only the 13th woman to fail to win a single game in a completed match at the Australian Open.

Clijsters reached last year's semi-finals in Melbourne but is looming as an even bigger danger this time to the top two seeds Serena and Venus Williams after winning four of her last five tournaments.

She plays Tatiana Poutchek in the next round after the Belarussian beat Spain's Cristina Torrens Valero 2-6, 6-4, 6-4.

Come-on-kim
Jan 16th, 2003, 07:00 AM
CONGRATS KIM:worship: :worship: :worship:

But I feel sorry for Petra BTW

But I'm so happy for Kim!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Cilla
Jan 16th, 2003, 07:22 AM
Omg, I just woke up & saw the score :eek: :o :o Poor Petra :o

Well Done Kim! :D

KaseyL
Jan 16th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Source: Reuters, Jan. 16, 2003

Guilty Clijsters Whitewashes Poor Mandula

BY JULIAN LINDEN

MELBOURNE - Belgian Kim Clijsters said she felt guilty after destroying Hungary's Petra Mandula 6-0, 6-0 in little more than half an hour Thursday to race into the third round of the Australian Open.

Clijsters showed no mercy as she crushed her nervous opponent in just 33 minutes, but said she felt bad about it once the match was over.

"You always feel a little bad afterwards, it's never nice," Clijsters said. "When you're out there, you don't really think about it, you just try and win but afterwards you do feel bad."

Clijsters conceded just 17 points to Mandula, who suffered the humiliation of becoming only the 13th woman to fail to win a single game in a completed match at the Australian Open.

"I think she took it well," said Clijsters, who also inflicted a "double bagel" on Marta Marrero at the 2000 U.S. Open.

"She was still smiling so that's a good sign. I know she made some unforced errors but I played well."

Clijsters reached last year's semi-finals in Melbourne but her challenge to the top two seeds Serena and Venus Williams looks like it will be stronger this time around.

The world number four has won four of her last five tournaments, including last year's season-ending championship, and 21 of her past 22 singles matches.

"I'm really happy with my game at the moment, I'm playing really well," Clijsters said. "I feel a lot more confident that I have in the past, even when I'm down.

"I've grown a lot and I've matured. That's the main difference with me now."

The 19-year-old plays Tatiana Poutchek in the next round after the Belarussian beat Spain's Cristina Torrens Valero 2-6, 6-4, 6-4.

KaseyL
Jan 16th, 2003, 07:35 AM
Source: AFP, Jan. 16, 2003

Clijsters routs foe to move to Australian Open 3rd round

Agence France-Presse

MELBOURNE, Australia - Belgian fourth seed Kim Clijsters left Petra Mandula choking on a dreaded 'double bagel' to power into the Australian Open third round here Thursday.

Clijsters routed world number 98 Mandula 6-0, 6-0 in just 33 minutes on the Vodafone Arena to stay on course for a semi-final collision with world number one Serena Williams.

The 19-year-old showed no mercy to her hapless opponent bludgeoning her relentlessly to set up a meeting in the last 32 with Belarus' Tatiana Pouched ( :o ) on Saturday.

Clijsters, the boyfriend (*cough*, yet another sleepy writer :rolleyes: :p ) of Australia's world number one and men's favorite Leyton Hewitt, are hugely popular Down Under and left the court to be mobbed by fans.

The vocal support is one reason why many see Clysters (it's Clijsters, guys! :o ) as the biggest threat to either of the Williams sisters, and she acknowledged the effect of her adopted home crowd after battering Mandela.

"I feel very much at home here," said Clysters, who reached the semi-finals here last year before losing to eventual champion Jennifer Capriati.

"Australia is one of my favorite countries in the world and the fans just make me feel so welcome," said Clijsters. "I think that's one of the reasons I'm playing so well."

Her popularity was evident in the crowds of young autograph-seekers who confronted her after the match, and Clijsters was happy to oblige.

"There's so many kids and I always feel bad if I leave one out. I did it once before and the kid started crying," she said.

Clijsters' whitewash was the first at the Australian Open since Alicia Molik was blanked by Silvija Talaja of Croatia in 2001, and only the 13th in the tournament's history.

Afterwards the Belgian had some sympathy for 24-year-old Mandula, who was beaten by Clijsters in the quarterfinals of the French Open at Roland Garros in 2001.

"You always feel a little bit bad. It's never nice but I think she took it okay, at least she was smiling at the end," she said.

Clijsters arrived in Melbourne fresh from an impressive win in the Sydney International last weekend, and said she has noticed a greater maturity in her play over the past 12 months.

"I feel a lot more comfortable on the court. Even in Sydney I surprised myself at how cool I was when I was under pressure and a few points down. I've grown a lot," she said.

~|Naomi|~
Jan 16th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Kim and Ai won their doubles match 6-3 7-5 on court 18:mad:

If Paul McNamee doesn't put Kim on Rod Laver for her next singles match and on a showcourt for their next doubles match I'll be so pissed off

Cilla
Jan 16th, 2003, 07:45 AM

If Paul McNamee doesn't put Kim on Rod Laver for her next singles match and on a showcourt for their next doubles match I'll be so pissed off

Well Done Kim/Ai :D but Ditto about McNamee Naomi :mad: :fiery: :fiery:

KaseyL
Jan 16th, 2003, 07:46 AM
There was in interview with Kim's coach at Flemish biggest public radio station, Radio 1 (7 AM news):

he basically said that he is not so keen on easy one-sided matches, as they can be tricky. e.g. If the player drops his concentration during the first set, he might end up in trouble in the second set.

Marc was of course very proud of Kim. He admitted he didn't expect such a score today.

KaseyL
Jan 16th, 2003, 07:48 AM

indeed :fiery:

Katja
Jan 16th, 2003, 08:18 AM
I've looked at the schedule of play for tomorrow and Kim/AI are plating their doubles match on show court 3 tomorrow. Hope she'll play on center court on saturday!

:bounce: :bounce: GO KIM!!! :bounce: :bounce:

OrangeFrog
Jan 16th, 2003, 08:40 AM
Yeah! Go Kim!!!:bounce:

-Fienesse-
Jan 16th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Kim, I got up and my mum told me you won with 6-0 6-0. This was the perfect morning...You're so great. Go on with your fight!!

keta
Jan 16th, 2003, 09:37 AM
In little colummy part in the west australia today there as this, I think its pretyt funny and VERY true! Here it is;
Just a Thoough?: What on Earth got inot Mr and Mrs Clijsters 19 years ago when they named their baby daughter Lleyton Hewitt's Girlfriend Kim??
That's her name, is'nt it??

I didnt get it at firts but now i find it hillarious and true!

:worship: :worship: :worship: a Double Bagel Kim, Way too goo!

-Fienesse-
Jan 16th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Have a little question. IF Kim plays the semifinal, when will that be in Belgium? Is that thursdaynight?? I really hope it's fridaynight because I have my last exam on friday...

Ting
Jan 16th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Come on Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

BTW, does anyone know if Kim goes to watch Lleyton's match?

Fieke
Jan 16th, 2003, 10:11 AM
:eek: A double bagel :worship:
:eek: 33 minutes :worship:
Congrats Kim & Good Luck in your next match :bounce: :kiss:

spiritfullfrog
Jan 16th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Lleyton just won his 2nd round match and in a post match interview he got asked if he and Kim had ever thought about playing mixed doubles together and he said that they got into a final (wimbledon) a couple of years ago but Kim said that he let her down, so she won't play doubles with him anymore. And then the commentator said "Kim's in great form isn't she," and Lleyton said yeah I think she has the ability to win this tournament and he also mentioned her win in LA and her beating both the William sister's there.

Btw I don't think Kim was there cause they showed Lleyton's parents, sister and coach but Kim wasn't with them. And during the interview they showed his parents laughing but no Kim and I reckon they would've shown her if she was there. :)

gokimmie
Jan 16th, 2003, 10:21 AM
:eek: :worship: kimmie:worship: :bounce:

nm_cb
Jan 16th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Kim watched Lleytons match the other day. I don't knwo about tonight. But I will watch his m,atch and see if she is watching!

duck
Jan 16th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by spiritfullfrog
Lleyton just won his 2nd round match and in a post match interview he got asked if he and Kim had ever thought about playing mixed doubles together and he said that they got into a final (wimbledon) a couple of years ago but Kim said that he let her down, so she won't play doubles with him anymore.

LOL Cruel Kimmie! :devil: Keep him in his place!:worship:

Cilla
Jan 16th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by spiritfullfrog
Lleyton just won his 2nd round match and in a post match interview he got asked if he and Kim had ever thought about playing mixed doubles together and he said that they got into a final (wimbledon) a couple of years ago but Kim said that he let her down, so she won't play doubles with him anymore. .

Kim :devil: :devil:

Btw I don't think Kim was there cause they showed Lleyton's parents, sister and coach but Kim wasn't with them. And during the interview they showed his parents laughing but no Kim and I reckon they would've shown her if she was there. :) [/B]

Nah I didn't see Kim either & usually they show her loads so...

Bigkimfan
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Great match Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Mercury Rising
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by keta
In little colummy part in the west australia today there as this, I think its pretyt funny and VERY true! Here it is;
Just a Thoough?: What on Earth got inot Mr and Mrs Clijsters 19 years ago when they named their baby daughter Lleyton Hewitt's Girlfriend Kim??

:worship: :worship: :worship: a Double Bagel Kim, Way too goo!
Ehm, call me stupid, but I don't get it :confused:

Primula
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Me neither !

Jan 16th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Kim would have just walked off the doubles court before Lleyton's match started...and she probably wanted to go back to the hotel for a while. I assume that they were all going out for dinner or something after the match to celebrate Lleyton's dad's birthday

nm_cb
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:20 AM
On the Australian OPen website there is a poll asking Who will end 2003 and the Ladies' world number one? And at the moment Kim is ahead at 32%, closely followed by Serena @ 31%, Venus @ 19% and Jennifer @ 18%.
If you would like to vote go to the Live @ the OPen tab and you will see NetPoll written down the side. Click on that and you will be able to vote!!!

KaseyL
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Thanks for all the info!

KaseyL
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:26 AM

LOL that's a good one! :D

keta
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Noodles and Primula, The guy was referring to how Kim is hardly evr oin Australia Referred to as Kim clijsters, MOST people knwo her as Lleyton Hewitt's Girlfriends Kim. The guys was syaing hwo coudl her parents name her that. It was just a joke about how the jounrolist's here dont give her merits n her own performance.

KaseyL
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Noodles
Ehm, call me stupid, but I don't get it :confused:

This might help: "Kim" aka "Lleyton Hewitt's girlfriend Kim"

( :hearts: to Kets for explaining it better! We replied at the same time LOL.)

KaseyL
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:32 AM
Source: AP, Jan. 16, 2003

Clijsters support growing by day

BY JOHN BROCK, Associated Press

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP)

Kim Clijsters is fast emerging as the biggest threat to the "Serena Slam."

A year ago she became the first Belgian women to reach the semifinals at the Australian Open. Now Clijsters, seeded fourth, is in Melbourne as the most recent victor in matches against both Serena and Venus Williams.

Clijsters barely stopped to draw breath as she raced into the third round on Thursday, denying Hungary's Petra Mandula a game as she won 6-0, 6-0 in just 33 minutes.

The Belgian faces a possible semifinal against world No. 1 and title favorite Serena, who is aiming for a fourth consecutive major to complete her self-dubbed "Serena Slam."

But the support for Clijsters is growing by the day, with women's great Martina Navratilova on Thursday saying the powerful 19-year-old is "playing the best tennis of her career right now."

Navratalova's tips for the title are Serena Williams and Clijsters.

"I'm playing well," said Clijsters, who beat Lindsay Davenport in the final of the Sydney International tournament last week.

"In Sydney I played really consistent. The match against Davenport was maybe one of my best levels, very consistent. That makes me so comfortable."

A quick and clever counterpuncher, Clijsters has added power and a higher level of fitness to her arsenal. She spent the summer training with boyfriend and men's world No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt in the heat of South Australia.

In November, Clijsters became only the second woman to beat Venus and Serena Williams to finish a tournament when she won the season-ening championships in Los Angeles. She won 15 of her last 16 matches for the year and finished at No. 4 in the rankings.

At last year's Australian Open she reached the semifinals, losing just 15 games in her first five matches.

She lost in the semis to eventual winner Jennifer Capriati in three sets and withdrew from the doubles with a stress fracture of upper right arm. There is no hint of any arm problems this time.

Former No.1 Lindsay Davenport is an admirer of the Belgian, saying Clijsters has been "quite remarkable in how she has gotten over the hump of being a five to seven (ranked) player to make it into the next echelon of women's tennis, and that's very hard to do."

Clijsters has heard the talk, but wants to stay focussed on the job at hand.

"It doesn't bother me. I hear it but I don't try to think about it. I know whenever I play them (the Williams sisters) I have to bring my best game if I'm capable of beating them, and that's what I try to work on."

She believes she is maturing as a player.

"I feel a lot more comfortable out on the court even when I'm down," she said. "Even in Sydney sometimes it surprised me how cool I stayed when break points down.

"I think I've grown a lot on the tennis court and I think I've got a lot more experience in those types of situations. That's the difference I've made in these last few months. The consistency is a lot higher now."

Against Mandula, a gritty righthander ranked No. 90 in the world, she was never in trouble.

She next faces Tatiana Poutcheck of Belarus for a place in the fourth round.

"I feel very much at home in this country," said Clijsters. "It's one of my favorite countries in the world and walking on the court makes me feel so welcome."

The Williams clan would do well to pay attention.

(jmb-jp)

angele87
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:32 AM
Kim :eek: :eek: :eek: Wow!!

Well done :D :bounce:

KaseyL
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Source: Reuters, Jan. 16, 2003

Clijsters and Hewitt Ruthless at Open

By Ossian Shine

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Kim Clijsters dropped the smiles and the giggles for just 33 devastating minutes on Thursday but it was long enough to thrash Petra Mandula 6-0, 6-0 and reach the third round of the Australian Open.

Her boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt, in turn, left his fist-pumping in the locker room to thunder past qualifier Todd Larkham, a qualifier ranked 234 places below the world number one.

The Australian top seed's 74-minute 6-1, 6-0, 6-1 victory was revenge for the last time the pair met. Larkham beat Hewitt 6-0, 6-4 when Hewitt was just 15-years-old at a small event in a Melbourne suburb.

In Thursday's match, Hewitt showed the qualifier no mercy at all.

"I was not looking to rub it in exactly... but I think back then I only got a few games," Hewitt said. "It was always going to be quite a tough match one way or another and I think I handled it well mentally."

The ruthless manner of his victory was matched only by that of Clijsters's whitewashing of Hungary's Mandula in the quickest contest of the week by far.

It was a performance of grit and concentration which underlined the Belgian's intent to make her grand slam breakthrough here.

SIMPLY OVERWHELMED

"I'm happy with my game, I'm playing well," Clijsters said. "I feel very much at home here."

Mandula, a solid player who last year counted world number nine Jelena Dokic among her scalps, was simply overwhelmed by the intensity of the Belgian's baseline aggression.

The one-sided thrashing also sent a clear message to world number one Serena Williams, still a little off her best, as she looks to bag the only grand slam not in her possession.

On Thursday, Williams put her nervy first-round three-set victory behind her to crush Els Callens of Belgium 6-4, 6-0.

But while Clijsters, one of the friendliest and most laid back players on the tour, was a picture of breezy confidence following her brief run-out, the American admitted to feeling the strain.

"I think I'm a little tense, maybe I'm putting a little too much pressure on myself," Williams told reporters.

"As the match wore on, I think I just calmed down...and I realized, for my future matches, that this isn't everything and things could be worse."

The world number one is bidding to become only the fifth woman in history to hold all four grand slam titles at the same time after winning last year's French Open, Wimbledon and U.S. Open championships.

MAJOR HURDLE

Fourth seed Clijsters, though, beat her in the final of the WTA Championships last year and looms as a major hurdle in the semi-finals providing neither slip up before then.

Mercury Rising
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the explanation. Now I really feel stupid :o

Lynx
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Errm... I didn't get it either. Don't tell anyone? :o :o :o

KaseyL
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Noodles
Thanks for the explanation. Now I really feel stupid :o

not getting a joke can happen to anyone.

But talking irony now, how about that ironic thread with imaginable questions for Kim during the Aussie Open? Nobody has posted there since quite some days.

Anyone willing to add a few lines? I'd like to set up a poll to vote for the best lines. Kim fans, come on, there is plenty of stuff out there to make up a few good questions!

kit
Jan 16th, 2003, 03:10 PM
WOW!!Kim played so very,very well.She is in a really good form!!
Come on Kimmie.You can win the Aus Open!!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Thank you so much for the articles!!:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Primula
Jan 16th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by KaseyL
not getting a joke can happen to anyone.

But talking irony now, how about that ironic thread with imaginable questions for Kim during the Aussie Open? Nobody has posted there since quite some days.

Anyone willing to add a few lines? I'd like to set up a poll to vote for the best lines. Kim fans, come on, there is plenty of stuff out there to make up a few good questions!

Thanx! Now I get the joke! And it's pretty funny !! ;)

Lleykimmy1
Jan 16th, 2003, 03:37 PM
I saw the match and she played very well ! I definitely think that if she plays her best and Serena continues to play the way she does now, Kim has a great chance to win the Aussie Open !!

GO KIM I KNOW THAT YOU CAN DO IT !!!

:wavey: :bounce: :worship: :wavey: :bounce: :worship: :wavey: :bounce: :worship:

Primula
Jan 16th, 2003, 08:00 PM
"Lleyton Hewitt and Kim Clijsters may not have much to talk about after Day Four."

This qoute comes from an article that's on the official site of the AO !!
There both inspiring each other: "Ha I won 6-0 6-0, try to better if you can, I bet you can't!";)

KaseyL
Jan 16th, 2003, 08:58 PM
Source: The Independent, Jan. 17, 2003 (UK)

Hewitt and Clijsters in a hurry to impress

Men's top seeds speed into third round as Belgian falls a minute short of fastest grand slam victory :eek:

By Kathy Marks in Melbourne

Anything Andre Agassi can do, Lleyton Hewitt can do better – and so, for that matter, can his girlfriend, Kim Clijsters. :D

While Agassi saw off his second-round opponent in 80 minutes at Melbourne Park, Hewitt, his main rival, took just 74 minutes yesterday. Then Clijsters waltzed through to the third round in 33 minutes after the second shortest match in grand-slam history.

Agassi's luckless victim on Wednesday was South Korea's Lee Hyung-Taik; Hewitt's was his fellow Australian, Todd Larkham. A qualifier ranked No 235 in the world, Larkham beat Hewitt seven years ago on the Australian satellite tour, but yesterday's 6-1, 6-0, 6-1 match was painfully one-sided. Larkham, who had treatment for shoulder pain, said: "I'm physically and mentally exhausted. I was totally outplayed."

Hewitt and Agassi, the two top-ranked players, are seeded to meet in the Australian Open final, with the 21-year-old Wimbledon champion itching to avenge his defeat by the Las Vegan at last year's US Open. "I saw how Andre went out there and chopped up Lee," he said yesterday. "It's a grand slam, you can't take any match lightly. You have to go out there and take your A game and hopefully it's good enough."

Larkham won his first service game to level at 1-1 and then crumbled, losing the next 13. He chalked up just nine points in the first set and seven in the second, raising his arms in mock jubilation when he held serve in the third game of the third set. Three games later, he double-faulted on the first match point.

Hewitt, who struggled to overcome Sweden's Magnus Larsson in five sets in the first round, said: "It's nice to have an easy match after a tough one. I felt really good out there. I felt I bounced back well. I felt hungry, I felt eager, I felt quick on my feet."

Had you blinked, you might have missed the 6-0, 6-0 encounter between Clijsters, the Belgian No 4 seed, and Hungary's Petra Mandula. The first set lasted 17 minutes, the second 16. Steffi Graf took just one minute less to demolish Natasha Svereva in the 1988 French Open final. :D

Mandula beat Jelena Dokic, the world No 9, last year. But Clijsters, who is seeded to meet the world No 1, Serena Williams, in the semi-finals, overwhelmed her with her baseline aggression. The Belgian, who vanquished both Serena and her sister, Venus, en route to the WTA Championships title in November, has lost only three games in the first two round here and has won 21 of her last 22 matches.

"Everything went well out there today," Clijsters said. "She made a lot of unforced errors, but I felt good, I served well, I did what I had to do." Asked about the perception that she is the main obstacle to another all-Williams grand slam final, she said: "It doesn't really bother me. Whenever I play them, I know I have to play my best game in order to be capable of beating them."

KaseyL
Jan 16th, 2003, 09:04 PM
from Australian newspaper Herald Sun, Jan. 17, 2003

Kim serves up bagels

By Bruce Matthews

A WORD of warning for future opponents of Kim Clijsters at the Australian Open: don't keep her waiting. :D

It wasn't even Hungarian Petra Mandula's fault yesterday and yet she copped the full brunt of the fourth seed's impatience.

Clijsters required a ridiculous 33 minutes to humble Mandula 6-0 6-0 in a farcical Australian Open second round.

The pair were kept waiting in the lockerroom while former world No.1 Gustavo Kuerten duelled in Vodafone Arena for nearly four hours before eventually falling in five sets.

"It was surprising that I started off playing so well because I was waiting so long for "Guga" (Kuerten) to finish. Just watching made me a little tired," Clijsters said.

"But when I got out there I felt really good, nice to be in the fresh air. Everything went well. I know she made a lot of unforced errors, but I served well and did what I had to do."

The Women's Tennis Association keeps stats of longest matches, but not the less appealing opposite. An official assured this wasn't a record - but you wouldn't want to have paid good money to catch a glimpse of the one that beat it. :p

It was an emphatic warning from the Belgian, who's scheduled to meet top seed Serena Williams in the semi-finals.

Williams was in much finer fettle yesterday after her opening round scare, ensuring another Belgian Els Callens wouldn't get the chance for a repeat of their Wimbledon third round when she pushed the eventual winner to two tiebreak sets.

This time Williams whipped Callens 6-4 6-0 in less than an hour on centre court and later said there was plenty of room for improvement.

Clijsters was nursing a shoulder ailment last year when she reached the semi-finals and not only is she better prepared physically this time, she's also feeding off the crowd support as an honorary Aussie in the Lleyton Hewitt camp.

"It's always good to have a short match, especially in the heat and I'm playing doubles now. My first match was easy on the score, but I had to work harder than I did today," Clijsters said.

"I feel very much at home in this country. Just walking on the court makes me feel so welcome and that's why I play so well, not just here but in Sydney and in Perth."

Mandula, a 2001 French Open quarter-finalist and ranked in the top 100, scrounged just 17 points in the second-round mismatch.

"You feel a little bit afterwards. Once you're on court, you really try not to, even with the score, you're not thinking about it. You are trying to focus on every point," Clijsters said.

"Once it's over, it's never nice. But she took it OK, she was smiling afterwards."

spiritfullfrog
Jan 17th, 2003, 03:28 AM
From 'The Indian Express'

Love is in the air at Melbourne

Soulmates Hewitt and Clijsters blank opponents on way to their next round

Melbourne, January 16

Kim Clijsters dropped the smiles and the giggles for just 33 devastating minutes on Thursday but it was long enough to thrash Petra Mandula 6-0, 6-0 and reach the third round of the Australian Open.

Her boy friend Lleyton Hewitt, in turn, left his fist-pumping in the locker room to thunder past qualifier Todd Larkham, a qualifier ranked 234 places below the World Number One. The Australian top seed’s 74-minute 6-1, 6-0, 6-1 victory was revenge for the last time the pair met.

In 1996 Larkham soundly beat a 15-year-old Hewitt at a small event in a Melbourne suburb. Seven years on Hewitt showed the qualifier no mercy at all, allowing 28-year-old Larkham just 30 points in the entire match.

“I was not looking to rub it in exactly. But I think back then I only got a few games,” Hewitt smiled, recalling the 6-0, 6-4 loss. “It was always going to be quite a tough match one way or another and I think I handled it well mentally.”

The ruthless manner of his victory was matched only by that of Clijsters’s whitewashing of Hungary’s Mandula in the quickest contest of the week by far. It was a performance of grit and concentration which underlined the Belgian’s intent to make her Grand Slam breakthrough here. Mandula, a solid player who last year counted world number nine Jelena Dokic among her scalps, was simply overwhelmed by the intensity of the Belgian’s baseline aggression.

The one-sided thrashing also sent a clear message to World Number One Serena Williams, still a little off her best, as she looks to bag the only Grand Slam not in her possession. On Thursday, Williams put her nervy first-round three-set victory behind her to crush Els Callens of Belgium 6-4, 6-0.

But while Clijsters, one of the friendliest and most laid back players on the tour, was a picture of breezy confidence following her brief run-out, the American admitted to feeling the strain.

The World Number One is bidding to become only the fifth woman in history to hold all four Grand Slam titles at the same time after winning last year’s French Open, Wimbledon and US Open championships.

Fourth seed Clijsters, though, beat her in the final of the WTA Championships last year and looms as a major hurdle in the semi-finals providing neither slip up before then.

Hawk
Jan 17th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Kim finally has the big court :D She's the opening match on Rod Laver Arena tomorrow. :)

~|Naomi|~
Jan 17th, 2003, 07:35 AM
Paul McNamee finally shows some sense:) And lleyton has no choice but to watch Kim's match as he doesn't play till the night match:)

~|Naomi|~
Jan 17th, 2003, 07:36 AM
And also congrats to Kim & Ai for winning their second match 6-2 6-4:D

Fieke
Jan 17th, 2003, 07:36 AM
Kim and Ai won their doubles match against Amanda Coetzer and Jessica Steck 6-2 6-4. Congrats girls!:bounce:

Cilla
Jan 17th, 2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Hawk
Kim finally has the big court :D She's the opening match on Rod Laver Arena tomorrow. :)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

At last common sense prevails ;) Yeah LLeyton no excuses for not showing up :p

Well Done Kim & Ai! :bounce: :bounce:

Cilla
Jan 17th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Clijsters has legs to go all the way

Stephen Bierley at Melbourne Park
Friday January 17, 2003
The Guardian

A continuous stream of praise can go to a teenager's head, so it is just as well that Belgium's Kim Clijsters, the 19-year-old girlfriend of Lleyton Hewitt, is one of the most balanced and bright young women on the circuit. She is also playing wonderfully well, having won four of her past five tournaments and notched up 23 victories in her past 25 matches. But sensibly she refuses to be drawn into comparisons with the Williams sisters, Serena and Venus.
Yesterday Hewitt, who had just won his second-round match with consummate ease, told the crowd in the Rod Laver Arena that he believed Clijsters had every chance of winning the title, especially "having beaten both the Williams in Los Angeles" in the end-of-season WTA Championships last year. He may be right, and what a weekend it would be if he added the men's crown.
Earlier Clijsters, the No4 seed, had underlined her prowess with a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Hungary's Petra Mandula in a second-round match which took only 33 minutes, a time only Steffi Graf had ever bettered - by one minute - in a grand slam.
Having cracked the veneer of invincibility that has built up around Serena in particular over the past 12 months, Clijsters may go one better than her appearance in the 2001 French Open final, when she lost to Jennifer Capriati 12-10 in the third set. After that she fell into what was by her standards a fallow period, during which she struggled with an arm injury and split from her long-time coach Carl Maes.
She is now working with Marc Dehous and has a full-time fitness trainer to help make the most of her enviable speed. Having inherited the powerful legs of her footballer father Leo and the suppleness of her gymnast mother Els, she could scarcely be better equipped genetically.
"You know I'm very happy to have my type of legs, especially to play sport," she said. "Maybe not for modelling but to play tennis you have to run a lot of balls down and for that I think my legs are very good." Speed is an attribute she shares with Hewitt. "When Lleyton won the US Open title and then Wimbledon, I felt like I won them as well," she said. "That's what really made me realise how much it means for a tennis player to win those big events."

Primula
Jan 17th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Hawk

Finally !!!!!!! :D

Go Kim!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Jan 17th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Primula
Finally !!!!!!! :D

Go Kim!!! :bounce: :bounce:

yayy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Primula
Jan 17th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Woehoe this is already my 100th post! I'm really proud of it!! hihi
Com'on Kim show the world what you're capable of!!

arn
Jan 17th, 2003, 12:30 PM
In the second set of her doubles match at 4-4 one of Kim's choes started to fall apart! So she continued playing in her mom's shoes who was barefoot in the stands! lol

Ting
Jan 17th, 2003, 12:39 PM
LOL thats funny:D

jenglisbe
Jan 17th, 2003, 12:48 PM
SHOE SHUFFLE

One of Belgian star Kim Clijsters' shoes started to fall apart at 4-4 in the second set of her doubles match with partner Ai Sugiyama.

The solution? Borrow mom's.

Clijsters' mother Els was in the stands watching the clash against South Africa's Amanda Coetzer and Jessica Steck.

Daughter Kim made a quick change, finishing the match in the 'new' pair while her mother sat barefoot in the stands.

It didn't affect the result though, Clijsters and Sugiyama, seeded seventh, won 6-2, 6-4.

Pinkie
Jan 17th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by jenglisbe
SHOE SHUFFLE

One of Belgian star Kim Clijsters' shoes started to fall apart at 4-4 in the second set of her doubles match with partner Ai Sugiyama.

That is hysterical. :D Anybody have pictures?

Ting
Jan 17th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Yeah I would like to see it too

Lleykimmy1
Jan 17th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by jenglisbe
SHOE SHUFFLE

Clijsters' mother Els was in the stands watching the clash against South Africa's Amanda Coetzer and Jessica Steck.

Daughter Kim made a quick change, finishing the match in the 'new' pair while her mother sat barefoot in the stands.

It didn't affect the result though, Clijsters and Sugiyama, seeded seventh, won 6-2, 6-4. ¨

This is so funny I really would have seen that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fieke
Jan 17th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Pinkie
That is hysterical. :D Anybody have pictures?
Yep :D
I saved some pictures from the AusOpen webcam... :bounce:

This is the first time I try to attach an image, so I hope it works...

keta
Jan 17th, 2003, 03:02 PM
OMG!! That is hilllarious!1 ahahahaahahahah I soo wish i hadve seen this!! :fiery: :fiery: At aussie TV for not showing Kim and Ai's double's match!

Hawk
Jan 17th, 2003, 03:50 PM
Good thing mom has the same size ;)

How did she get the shoes..did her mom bring them down or did one of the ball kids go get them?

Peridotpixie
Jan 17th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Well, I'm sure I'll get coverage of Serena instead of Kim....sigh. Someone who sees the match has to tell us if Lleyton shows up!
Good luck Kim!

Kornelija
Jan 17th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Well...' Shoes falling down 'sound really exciting.

I just wonder what a hell Fila thought while making such a ''weak'' shoes for such a tennis players.

By the way it seems it's sometimes really useful to have mother who has teh same size feet.

Congatulations for Kim for a wonderful match. 33 min. It was a huge waste of money for the people who perhaps expected to watch her for at least an hour.

kit
Jan 17th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Thank you for the articles!!!:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:
Good Luck Kim,tomorrow.Come on!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Bigkimfan
Jan 17th, 2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Kornelija
Well...' Shoes falling down 'sound really exciting.

I just wonder what a hell Fila thought while making such a ''weak'' shoes for such a tennis players.

By the way it seems it's sometimes really useful to have mother who has teh same size feet.

Congatulations for Kim for a wonderful match. 33 min. It was a huge waste of money for the people who perhaps expected to watch her for at least an hour.

I heard that kim has to wear new shoes after a few trainings because then one side of the shoe ( where she slides over the floor with) gets damaged... It's not just Fila, also Nike etc...;)

angele87
Jan 17th, 2003, 07:11 PM
LMAO at Kim and her shoes :D :p

Elleke
Jan 17th, 2003, 07:11 PM
LOL :D
good luck Kim vs Tatiana!! I hope you win as easily as in your other matches! :bounce:

Cilla
Jan 17th, 2003, 08:01 PM
LMAO @ Kim :p Never a dull moment eh? ;)

-Fienesse-
Jan 17th, 2003, 09:14 PM
I think it's very remarkable that Clarissa Fernandez (remember her??) is still in the tournament. If she goes on winning she 'll meet our Kim in the quarters. I know that Kim is now much better than she was in the French of 2002 but I wouldn't be that happy when they meet (which is not sure yet I know). What do you guys think?

Hawk
Jan 17th, 2003, 10:37 PM
I doubt she'll get past Myskina and probably Rubin, but even if she does, like you said it's a very different Kim she'll be facing on a very different surface.

~|Naomi|~
Jan 18th, 2003, 12:55 AM
I actually think Kim would like to play Fernandez to get revenge and show Fernandez how good a player she is. remember how she lost to Likhovtseva at Wimbledon Kim then played her at Tokyo and won 6-2 6-2. So I think she would like to play fernandez to show who his boss:)

Hawk
Jan 18th, 2003, 01:10 AM
Kim beat Poutchek 6-2,6-1..and she keeps on rollin' :D

OrangeFrog
Jan 18th, 2003, 01:25 AM
Woohoo! Go Kim! It's the third round and she's still winning matches this easily! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Jan 18th, 2003, 01:30 AM
Kim played awesome tennis except for one lapse in the first set when Pouthek won her 2 games, she only really won them because of Kim's UE"S. But Kim played great hope she can keep it up:)

angele87
Jan 18th, 2003, 01:41 AM
Well done Kim :kiss: Keep going :D

Rachel
Jan 18th, 2003, 01:42 AM
Did all the Aussies see the interview with Bruce? :) He's a bit of a dag sometimes ;) lol

Interestingly enough, for me anyway lol :D ... Clijsters is pronounced more like 'Clay.sters' not the way the Aussie media says it, and American media I'm lead to believe ;) lol, so while all you Kimmie fans probably knew that long ago, news here ;)

Ting
Jan 18th, 2003, 01:43 AM
Yay GO KIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

angele87
Jan 18th, 2003, 01:47 AM
What did Kim say in her interview?

Rachel
Jan 18th, 2003, 01:58 AM
What did she say in the interview?
Ok, here's what's 'noteable' IMO, but i'm sure if anyone else saw it and remembers bits i've forgotten they're more than likely to let you all know ;) :)

Bruce McAvaney, or daggy Bruce ;) j/k was the interviewer up in the studio ... and he congratulated her on the win and how well she was playing ... and he said "So we've got 2 through now...!" (being a smartarse mean Kim and Pratty...!!) and then goes "... Oh I'm being cheeky aren't I!" and smiled and Kim smiled/kinda laughed and then they flashed to Lleyton doing so practise on the outside courts from earlier and he said something like that's who I really mean ;)

He asked a little about Lleyt and Kim was saying stuff like how he's going better this year already, coz of how he isn't sick & stuff ... the standard question of how she likes the crowd and she said it felt like she was at home ... awww ;) that's one way to win the crowd over Kimmie ;) :) and said it was the same in Perth and Sydney and how she likes playing here etc. :)

& Then the last question was the one about how her name is pronounced ... :)

budgirlbz
Jan 18th, 2003, 02:33 AM
woohooo..........congrats to kim!!!

budgirlbz
Jan 18th, 2003, 03:06 AM
K. CLIJSTERS/T. Poutchek
6-2, 6-1

MODERATOR: Questions for Kim.

Q. That looked relatively straightforward. Are you happy with the way it went?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah, definitely. It was a lot better than at the French. I was really ready for a revenge, I think. I know I wasn't playing my best tennis at the French, but I really felt -- she's a player who gets a lot of balls back and she runs really well. I felt like I, you know, had to keep the pressure on her and try not to let her get into the match like I did at the French.

Q. Did you lose your concentration in the first set?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah, maybe a little bit. I think my serve wasn't coming through either, you know, when she broke me, as well. Maybe I tried to do a little bit too much, as well. I missed a few backhands, a few forehands when I tried to run around on them. I think I tried to do a little bit too much.
But, you know, I focused again. Yeah, so I broke back straightaway.

Q. You've only dropped six games over three rounds. Is this as good as you've felt at a Grand Slam?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah, well, the score shows, you know, that I'm playing well. My first match was definitely I think the toughest one. I think I'm more comfortable out there already than in the beginning. Because I think it's always tough after you win a tournament to, you know, regroup yourself and to get ready again for, you know, for a first round again because you're been on the road for a while.
But, no, I feel good now. It was nice to play a match on the Rod Laver Arena, you know. To get one on the center court was good as well. I was really happy with that.

Q. How important is it for you to break through and win that first Grand Slam tournament?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, I mean, I've never really thought about that. I mean, you know, of course the Grand Slams are very important I think to all of the players. But, you know, I'm definitely not the type of player who only focuses on the Grand Slams. Like, I try to win every match I play. You know, I think that's why I do so well, as well, I think in the small tournaments, like the ones in Europe and America. I've really played some of my best tennis in those tournaments.
So, of course, you know, a Grand Slam win would be great, but I'm still far away from that, and I'm not focusing on that at all. I mean, I'm just focusing on my matches one at a time and I will see because there's so many other tough players out there who, you know, can beat each other. So you have to be ready for every match.

Q. The scheduling was a bit kinder to you today after waiting four hours the other day. Relieved to get a first-up match?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Definitely. I prefer to play the first matches because then at least you know what time you have to start. With the men's, they don't have just over an hour matches. Definitely the one, when I had to play after Stepanek and Kuerten, that was definitely a long one. And you lose your whole day sort of just waiting around, and you get tired. So I was happy with this one. I can just go and relax and have some time off.

Q. You were described on local radio as "Our Adopted Aussie Daughter." Is this about as close as you get to a home tournament, being in front of a crowd like this?

KIM CLIJSTERS: We have a few tournaments in Belgium now. There's one in Antwerp, where I'm really looking forward to play. Because of my shoulder injury last year, I couldn't play. I went to watch Justine play there, just to see how it was all going. I did a few things for charity, for my sponsors. You know, I felt really sad that I couldn't play that because I think the crowd was just amazing.
So, you know, it's definitely the closest. We get a lot of Belgian support also at the French because it's so close. And I think definitely like the Australian Open and the French are definitely some of my favorite tournaments overall, not only Grand Slams.
So, yeah, that's why I play well, as well, because I enjoy myself and I feel very relaxed here.[/B]

nm_cb
Jan 18th, 2003, 04:12 AM
I didn't see lleyton watching Kim's match.
Although Lleyton's parents were there and Jaslyn and her boyfriend. Kim's mum was also there.
Kim seems to be in very good form. I agree with Lleyton, she can probably go all the way!

The ad. for the sorbent toilet paper that Lleyton is in the person he is "playing" is Hayden!

Lynx
Jan 18th, 2003, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Rachel
... Clijsters is pronounced more like 'Clay.sters' not the way the Aussie media says it, and American media I'm lead to believe ;) lol, so while all you Kimmie fans probably knew that long ago, news here ;) Hm, this may sound like a smart-ass remark ( :rolleyes: @ myself) but, actually, it's not pronounced like Clay.sters either. It's close, but it's not how the Flemish ppl say it.

The ij in Clijsters sounds more like the ai in "air". If you could isolate that sound and put it between Cl- and -sters, your pronunciation would be near perfect! :)

keta
Jan 18th, 2003, 07:16 AM
Although Lleyton's parents were there and Jaslyn and her boyfriend. Kim's mum was also there.
Kim seems to be in very good form. I agree with Lleyton, she can probably go all the way!

The ad. for the sorbent toilet paper that Lleyton is in the person he is "playing" is Hayden!

I said that liek the first day the add was on! I thikn im a bit to obsessed! :p ;)

I dont think lleytton was at kims match i think he wouldbe been hitting up at that time, Oh well kim will porlly be at lleytons match annyways!

Come-on-kim
Jan 18th, 2003, 08:47 AM
CONGRATS KIM!!!!!!!!

angele87
Jan 18th, 2003, 09:14 AM
Hayden :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Bigkimfan
Jan 18th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Kim played a great match!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: Good luck Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Calvin
Jan 18th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Hm, this may sound like a smart-ass remark ( :rolleyes: @ myself) but, actually, it's not pronounced like Clay.sters either. It's close, but it's not how the Flemish ppl say it.

The ij in Clijsters sounds more like the ai in "air". If you could isolate that sound and put it between Cl- and -sters, your pronunciation would be near perfect! :)

that's exactly how its pronounced: "Clairsters" with the first "r" non-existant, and the second "r" a hard one... :D

Cilla
Jan 18th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Well Done Kim! :kiss: :worship: :bounce: Keep up the good work :D & what a nice suprise to see Hayden @ her match :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Elleke
Jan 18th, 2003, 11:35 AM
Well Done!! now good luck against Amanda :bounce: you already beat her in doubles.. let's hope you can do the same against her in singles!
head to head 3-0
1999 The Championships 3th round 6-2 6-4

2001 Seat Open SF 6-3 6-4

2002 Swisscom Challenge 2nd round 6-1 6-1

make it 4-0 :D!!

Jan 18th, 2003, 01:20 PM

Kim was there, she just wasn't shown on TV because she was sitting a row too far back to get in the shot. There is a pic in the Herald Sun

Rachel
Jan 18th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Hm, this may sound like a smart-ass remark ( @ myself) but, actually, it's not pronounced like Clay.sters either. It's close, but it's not how the Flemish ppl say it.

The ij in Clijsters sounds more like the ai in "air". If you could isolate that sound and put it between Cl- and -sters, your pronunciation would be near perfect!

Originally posted by David de pingwin
that's exactly how its pronounced: "Clairsters" with the first "r" non-existant, and the second "r" a hard one... :D

Thanks for that guys :D

keta
Jan 18th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by untitled2284
Kim was there, she just wasn't shown on TV because she was sitting a row too far back to get in the shot. There is a pic in the Herald Sun

What Day's Herald sun Jackie?Im gonan bye it now! :o

Kim_for_number_1
Jan 18th, 2003, 02:54 PM
this is the second time I've seen Kim in World sports CNN, and it is the second time they show her being 'frustrated', smashing her racket. THey wanna make her out to be a female version of the pumped-up Lleyton... pff, Kim is sweet, she's not violent,
pfff @ cnn
btw: and they show serena smiling and being friendly...

Kornelija
Jan 18th, 2003, 04:33 PM
I'm very very happy for Kimmie.

I would like to thank her because she didn't make to stay in front of TV last night for too long, only 55min.

I also came up to decision that Kim makes everything on court and of court so so so adorable. I really love her grandstrokes, serve, sliding and even the unforced errors.:drool: :drool: ( She doesn't make too many of them lately).

KIM YOU SIMPLY RULE!!!

Bigkimfan
Jan 18th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Does anybody know if kim's injury is really serious???:confused:

kit
Jan 18th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Yeah,Kim won!!!Well done!!!:worship: :worship: :worship:

~|Naomi|~
Jan 19th, 2003, 12:56 AM
Kim said herself the injury wasn't really serious she is wearing a tape on it so taht she doesn't hurt it more and she also said it didn't trouble her in either her singles or doubles. She hurt it at the warm up for her doubles match

tenis_lover
Jan 19th, 2003, 01:55 AM
im going to die here... the other day i was watching the end of kim's match on espn and they were presenting kim as ..kim clijsters soon to be kim clijsters-hewitt ..... !!!!!
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Rachel
Jan 19th, 2003, 02:27 AM
LOL!
too funny! :)

Jan 19th, 2003, 08:47 AM
What Day's Herald sun Jackie?Im gonan bye it now! :o

Can't remember. I think it was Friday. It's only a tiny picture in a Lleyton article...but she gets a huge pic and an article after every match

Jan 19th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Kim_for_number_1
this is the second time I've seen Kim in World sports CNN, and it is the second time they show her being 'frustrated', smashing her racket. THey wanna make her out to be a female version of the pumped-up Lleyton... pff, Kim is sweet, she's not violent,
pfff @ cnn
btw: and they show serena smiling and being friendly...

Lleyton is not violent. He really doesn't smash his racket that often, but it gets publicised every time he does it.

Kim was only shown throwing her racket once (during the live broadcast) here and the media seem to be obsessed with Serena's audible obsenity fine

~|Naomi|~
Jan 19th, 2003, 08:51 AM
OMG Kim got the night match tomorrow night on Rod Laver Arena!!!!!!

Good Luck Kim:)

~|Naomi|~
Jan 19th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Does anyone know if it will be shown live on channel 7 here in Australia I think not. But they better show more than just match point. But the schedule is good for me cause tomorrow is my first day of Uni and I finish at 6pm so I will be able to follow it live on the internet tomorrow night when i get homw:)

Jan 19th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Kim's match is @ 7:30PM...probably the best time to play on that court. The sun has gone in a bit, so she doesn't have to play in the heat and the wind isn't swirling around the stadium as much as it does later at night. I'm hoping now that it rains on the day of Kim's potential semi-final against Serena so the roof has to be closed. We all know how Kim plays indoors

~|Naomi|~
Jan 19th, 2003, 08:55 AM
And also for any Belgian fans Kirsten Flipkens plays her first match tomorrow she is third up on court 7 against Sheng-Nan Sun of China:)

Also a question in Kim's match against Poutchek was it Flipkens who was sitting in the row behind Hewitt's parents and next to Hayden cause I think it looked a lot like her, if it was that was really nice of her to watch Kim play:)

Elleke
Jan 19th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Q. If you had to pick a winner from here, what would you be saying?
NICOLE PRATT: I started with Kim at the beginning of the tournament, and I think I'll stick with Kim.

Bigkimfan
Jan 19th, 2003, 04:02 PM
NICOLE PRATT: I started with Kim at the beginning of the tournament, and I think I'll stick with Kim.

Go Kim!!!!!!!!!!! You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Lleykimmy1
Jan 19th, 2003, 04:46 PM
GO KIM I KNOW THAT YOU CAN WIN THE AUSSIE OPEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come-on-kim
Jan 19th, 2003, 07:14 PM

Thanks Nicole!! I hope you're right!!

kit
Jan 19th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Yeah Kimmie,come on!!Good Luck against Coetzer!!! :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:
You can do it!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Cilla
Jan 19th, 2003, 11:45 PM
C'mon Kim! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

pcabenojar
Jan 20th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Australian Open: Fanfare for grand form of Clijsters
By Kathy Marks in Melbourne
19 January 2003
The Independent

Most of the top players sign a few token autographs as they leave Centre Court after a big match. Not Kim Clijsters. She signs every hat, programme and outsized tennis ball thrust beseechingly at her from the stands. "There are always lots of children and I don't want to disappoint anyone," she explained last week. "Once I missed a little girl and she burst into tears."

That Clijsters is one of the most pleasant and friendly players on the tour is beyond dispute. What also seems certain is that the 19-year-old Belgian will win a Grand Slam in the near future. The only question is when, and it could be as early as next week, judging by her form so far at the Australian Open.

The No 4 seed beat Tatiana Poutchek of Belarus 6-2 6-1 in 55 minutes yesterday, a rather leisurely third-round affair compared to her 33-minute dismissal of Petra Mandula on Thursday. If she survives the next two rounds, she will meet Serena Williams in the semi-finals and sister Venus in the final: a daunting prospect given the pair's domination of women's tennis for the past season.

If anyone can break their stranglehold, it could be Clijsters, particularly since Jennifer Capriati's upset at the hands of Germany's Marlene Weingartner in the first round here. The Belgian defeated the sisters back-to-back in the season-ending WTA Tour Championships in Los Angeles in November, and counts the victory over Serena – her first in six meetings – as one of the highlights of her career.

At Melbourne Park, she has dropped only six games so far and had won 18 consecutive games until a brief lapse of concentration gave two on the trot to Poutchek yesterday. To add to the statistical pot, she has notched up 24 wins in 26 matches, triumphing at four of her last five tournaments in a brilliant run of form dating back to Filderstadt last October.

Yesterday Clijsters was quick out of the blocks, running the 24-year-old Belarussian around court and sending winners into the gaps, to frequent cries of "Nyet!" from a disconsolate Poutchek. She broke serve in the second game and again in the fourth before a series of unforced errors gave her opponent eight successive points, narrowing the score to 5-2.

Jolted by losing two games to love, the Belgian regained control, breaking Poutchek's serve to win the first set in 27 minutes with a muscular smash. She played aggressive and confident tennis until the final minutes of the second set, when the Belarussian saved three match points before landing a cross-court forehand wide on the fourth.

Poutchek, the world No 108, said afterwards: "I tried my best out there, but she was everywhere. She's on really good form. She always fights until the end, no matter how she plays and who she plays."

Clijsters has certainly done her homework, spending the off-season practising in Adelaide with her boyfriend, Lleyton Hewitt, to acclimatise to the heat. Hewitt, the world No 1, said last week that she was playing well enough to win the title. That opinion may be a shade biased, but others, including Lindsay Davenport, the 1999 champion, have tipped her to go far in Melbourne.

The Belgian says she is happy with her game. She has improved her serve in the past 12 months, gained more control over her powerful forehand and become more consistent.

Cautious pundits point out that she has only reached one Grand Slam final: the 2001 French Open, when she was vanquished by Capriati.

Clijsters will need every weapon in her armoury as well as nerves of steel if she plays Serena, who is determined to add the Australian Open title to her collection of three Grand Slams. The Williams sisters, who contested the French, US and Wimbledon finals last year, are seeded to meet on the day of reckoning once again.

The Belgian laughed and shrugged yesterday when asked how badly she wanted to win her first Grand Slam event. "I'm definitely not the type of player who only focuses on the Grand Slams," she said. "It would be great, of course, but I'm just focusing on my matches one at a time."

OrangeFrog
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:02 AM
OMG! Lleyton lost to El Aynaoui:sad: 7-6 6-7 6-7 4-6. Noooo!

Rachel
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:14 AM
Big :eek: :sad:

Other year that the Aussie hopes are out again before the big one :sad:
No doubt he tryed his best so I guess what more can you ask for ... Big G'luck for Kim tonight :worship:

Come-on-kim
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:20 AM
GOOD LUCK KIM AGAINST AMANDA!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Megli
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Good luck Kim :bounce:

Ting
Jan 20th, 2003, 09:45 AM
Kimmie WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!:bounce: :bounce:

pcabenojar
Jan 20th, 2003, 09:51 AM
Good luck on your next match Kim! :) Here's a Gamewatch from BBC: Clijsters crushes Coetzer

All the action as Kim Clijsters sweeps aside Amanda Coetzer in the fourth round in Melbourne.

Clijsters 6-3 6-1 Coetzer
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game-by-game updates:

Second set

Clijsters 6-3 6-1 Coetzer
Coetzer saves four match points but Clijsters finally seals the win as the South African sends a backhand wide.

Clijsters 6-3 5-1 Coetzer
Coetzer refuses to give up but Clijsters saves three break points and profits from a net cord to move to the brink of victory.

Clijsters 6-3 4-1 Coetzer
Clijsters clenches her fist after winning a long rally with a crisp volley and turns the screw as she clinches the double break.

Clijsters 6-3 3-1 Coetzer
Coetzer shows her frustration at failing to trouble the Clijsters serve after fighting her way to 30-30.

Clijsters 6-3 2-1 Coetzer
Clijsters takes her foot off the pedal, handing Coetzer the game with a wild forehand.

Clijsters 6-3 2-0 Coetzer
Clijsters keeps up the pressure and closes out the game with an emphatic forehand pass.

Clijsters 6-3 1-0 Coetzer
Clijsters looks on the way to a quick victory as Coetzer surrenders her serve again with a string of bad errors.

First set

Clijsters 6-3 Coetzer
Clijsters gives Coetzer a ray of hope but edges ahead with a big forehand and an error from the South African hands her the set.

Clijsters 5-3 Coetzer
Coetzer wins a thrilling rally at 30-0 and sees out the game to keep the set alive.

Clijsters 5-2 Coetzer
Coetzer forces another break point but Clijsters' backhand gets her out of trouble.

Clijsters 4-2 Coetzer
Clijsters forces the third successive break of the match as Coetzer fails to return a big backhand.

Clijsters 3-2 Coetzer
Coetzer attacks the Clijsters serve and immediately forces her way back into the set as the Belgian sends a backhand long.

Clijsters 3-1 Coetzer
Clijsters makes the early breakthrough, setting up two break points with a forehand pass and taking the game with a winner down the line.

Clijsters 2-1 Coetzer
A forehand pass is the only impression Coetzer can make on the Clijsters serve as the Belgian eases through the game.

Clijsters 1-1 Coetzer
Coetzer responds well as she weathers a barrage of big shots from Clijsters to hold her serve.

Clijsters 1-0 Coetzer
Clijsters takes control of her first service game with a sweet backhand pass, losing just one point on her way to a comfortable hold.

Elke
Jan 20th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Congrats Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :kiss:

Can sombody tell us what she said in the courtside interview??
Thanks already.:)

Primula
Jan 20th, 2003, 09:53 AM
She played great, altough she didn't have to play her best tennis to beat Amanda !!

Com'on Kim and win this title!!

Aussies com'on now that Lleyton is out :sad: , you have to put all your "supporting-energy" into Kim ! ;)

KaseyL
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Thanks for posting all the news!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: for Kim into the quarters! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Although I think Kim will have lots of comforting work on Lleyton tonight... :sad: