PDA

View Full Version : website?

matthias
Jan 5th, 2003, 09:39 AM
will this tournament have a website?
because i heared india is a high level computer country, so they should have one!!!

jayakris
Jan 5th, 2003, 10:19 PM
I will have the usual web page like those I keep for all Indian events, at http://www.tennisindia.org

I expect that they will have an official website for the tournament. If they don't have one, I am sure they will forward scors to me fast enough to update my page for the event. Let us see how it goes.

Jay

matthias
Jan 6th, 2003, 07:05 AM
thanks, jayakris!!!

are you involved to indian tennis federation?
or how does it come that you expect they will forward scores to you?
just curious :wavey:

roby
Jan 7th, 2003, 05:34 AM
i dont think they will present a good website. have you visited the site of the atp in chennai, india? it really sucks!

jayakris
Jan 8th, 2003, 07:52 AM
roby, the Chennai Open and the Hyderabad Indian Open are organized by two totally different companies. Chennai Open is run by IMG, the international group, and in my view they have not managed it very well. Having said that, I should say that the different contractors who have made the Chennai Open website over the years have all done quite a good job - just that this year it sucked big rocks.

By the way, Chennai Open, way back in 1997 was one of only two websites (the other being the Swedish Open, I believe) outside of IBM's grand slam sites and ATP's masters sites, to have ball-by-ball online score updates form the center court! So, generalizing something based on this year's Chennai website is not very logical.

Anyway, Hyderbad WTA is organized by "Globosport" of Mahesh Bhupathi. First time they are doing it, and most of the planning for this event has only been over the last 2-3 months or so since WTA approved it. Not sure if they have contracted anybody to do a website yet. If they have a website, it could be good or it could just suck. Who knows!

Matthias: No, I am not involved in the All India Tennis Association, but I do get official info from them often, as I have been doing my nonprofit tennisindia.org fanclub site for over 6 years now. The AITA has nothing much to do with the Indian Open though. As we at the TennisIndia fanclub are a party with no axes to grind (I am a university professor who does this strictly as a hobby and for fun), people from india generally help us out. I know Mahesh Bhupathi quite well, and I am sure I could ask him to find somebody to send me updates for my page if they don't have an official page.

Don't worry, I am sure we will have reasonably timely info out of India ..

Jay

matthias
Jan 8th, 2003, 07:56 AM
thanks @ jayakris :wavey:

jayakris
Jan 9th, 2003, 05:18 AM
Heard from Mahesh Bhupathi today that there will be a website that should be up by the Jan 15th (in a week).

No URL yet, but we will know soon.

Jay

jirobkk
Jan 9th, 2003, 07:27 AM
But the website of Chennai this year was sucks !!! by comparing to last year. Do you agree with me ?

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

rfs1999
Jan 9th, 2003, 07:37 AM
Live Scores?

jayakris
Jan 9th, 2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by jayakris
..the different contractors who have made the Chennai Open website over the years have all done quite a good job - just that this year it sucked big rocks

Jire: In other words, I agree with you .. It sucked in a bad way! ;)

rfs1999: As for Hyderabad WTA, I don't know if they will have live updates. Probably not, but we will find ouit scores within 2-3 hours at least, I am sure :)

Jay

matthias
Jan 9th, 2003, 11:18 AM
thanks jayakris :wavey:

roby
Jan 11th, 2003, 05:57 AM
thanks, jayakris. but i want to know where was this event previously held? was it shanghai?

danielrosario
Jan 13th, 2003, 09:00 AM
No! As far as I know, this is a totally new event. Even the official WTA site does not have lists of last years winner -- they have such lists for all the other tournaments except this one... so it must be a new event.

Jay, it's good to learn of a website in the offing. I hope they also televise the matches live. I guess they will.. after all in India even the satellites and challengers are shown live!

roby
Jan 13th, 2003, 05:30 PM
yeah i know. but as i know wta tour is like mcdonald's franchise. so maybe actually somebody bought the tournement right from shanghai because shanghai has given up one and imported another high tier one from tokyo. as you can see from the schedule, there is one tokyo event missing (princess cup) and shanghai event got upgraded from previous tier iv to now tier ii. and the indian new event is most likely transferred from shanghai.

matthias
Jan 17th, 2003, 03:53 PM
yes, it is a new tournament
and i don´t care about ahich tournament licence. i just want to know the website

salima
Jan 17th, 2003, 05:43 PM
Jayakris, I wonder, you mentioned that Mahesh Bhupati was one of the founders of this tourney. What role has he played in staging a WTA event in Hyderabad?

It is a nice,updated website of him you got:)

jayakris
Jan 17th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Mahesh Bhupathi is the owner and CEO of the Globosport sports management company (check out http://www.globosport.biz ) that brought the event to India.

I got an email from Globosport this monday -

"We've begun work on the website and should have something up by the weekend at the very latest. We'll definitely be putting up live scores on the site during and after matches, along with all press releases and match updates being sent up to the media. At the launch stage, the site will have the player list, player profiles for the top players and all the press releases sent out by this weekend."

I was away and couldn't post this earlier here, but anyway it looks like they will have a website up any day now. Let's hope that the promise about score updates will be kept! I have replied asking for the URL - when it's up they will email the URL, I guess.

Jay

danielrosario
Jan 18th, 2003, 03:40 AM
That's good to know.
Thanks, Jay!

Dhruv
Jan 18th, 2003, 10:43 AM
The website for the tournament is supposed to be www.wtaindianopen.com . It is not yet online but will be going online by midnight on the 18th of Jan. So by next week we should be access the site. Also Sania has now officially recieved a WC though it was common knowledge that she was going to get one.

matthias
Jan 18th, 2003, 11:35 AM
thanks Dhruv :wavey:

jayakris
Jan 18th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Thanks Dhruv. That is the URL that I got too. Not up yet, but will be soon. The news release from Hyderabad says Sania's wildcard has been announced and that two more wildcards will be announced within the next 10 days.

Jay

jayakris
Jan 18th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Hey, by the way, this thread makes it the most highly anticipated website ever in the Tier-IV tournament history! :)

I can't wait for the clock to strike midnight saturday night in India .. That is 1.30 pm New York .. Tick, tock, tick, tock .. ;)

Jay

matthias
Jan 18th, 2003, 12:22 PM
i started a very good thread ;)

i´m very creative when i starting threads - LOL

ms_nut
Jan 18th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Well, I'm not too worried about live scores since i'll most probably be getting live coverage of the tournament on DD sports ,India's national sports channel.Yippee.... I can hardly wait.

jayakris
Jan 19th, 2003, 02:18 AM
Well, the Globosport guys stuck to their word. Delayed by a couple of hours past the midnight hour, but they got the page up ..

.. and they haven't disppointed us. It lookd crisp and clean.

I notice that they had the guts to put LIVE SCORES link on every page in there. The live scores page shows scoreboards for all the courts too. We are all set.

Check out http://www.indianopen.com

There is probably more interesting yakketi-yakki stuff on that web site than I have seen in any other site.

I have no idea what "Glam Slam of Tennis" means!

Jay

Dhruv
Jan 19th, 2003, 09:25 AM
Eh Jay. Small correction. You made a little typo. It is www.wtaindianopen.com

PS: I see on their live score page they have a doubles matchup Player 1(Fra)/Player 2(Ind)vs a German team. Could it be Mary Pierce/Sania Mirza team that they used for some sort of test run. :). I guess they are hoping that she shows up

King Aaron
Jan 19th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Nice simple website. Fast loading as well. :) Why are they having Jelena Dokic's pictures on the website? :o

Dhruv
Jan 19th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Maybe she will be one of the surprsie WC. ;) Here's hoping. Also Mary Pierce's photo isn't too flattering though the rest are not that bad.

danielrosario
Jan 20th, 2003, 04:19 AM
Great site !!

salima
Jan 20th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Great site:) good simple lay-out, easy to navigate, lets hope it holds what its promise;)

croat123
Jan 20th, 2003, 11:41 PM
great site

i wish the higher tier events would follow suite...

Scotso
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:23 PM
wonderful site, especially for the tier! :D

roby
Jan 24th, 2003, 04:33 AM
Some indistinct Jelena Dokic images appear quite a lot on this site. Looks like the designer likes Dokic so much. But she doesn't seem to play in India, does she?

ktwtennis
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:37 PM
I can't open the site...Can someone tell me if Monica is committed to play?

jayakris
Jan 27th, 2003, 07:34 PM
ktwtennis: Which Monica are you talking about? Seles? Why would she. I don't think there is any Monica in the entry list.

Try http://www.wtaindianopen.com once again. It should work.

Jay

Shine On Silver Moon
Jan 30th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Woohoo...very nice web site...But in players' profile...I read the one on Yoon Jeong Cho and it is written that in 2001 she began her year with her first WTA Tour final...As far as I recall, Pattaya 2002 was her 1st time to be in WTA Tour final...She was indeed making history as the 1st Korean woman to be in WTA Tour final...In wb site it is also written that Pattaya was Cho's second WTA Tour final...I think, it is not correct at all!!!:confused:

Shine On Silver Moon
Jan 30th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Yes, I have checked in WTA Tour official website on its players' profile and Cho in 2001 was making her 1st ever QF in WTA Tour which was at Shanghai...So, Assume they mistyped it in this Hyderabad web site...They instead wrote first WTA Tour final...Oh, well...More typin errors maybe...They wrote Wayne Prakusya, Yoon Leon Cho and Mi-Ra Leon...Oh, well again...But overall the site is wonderful...Go, Hyderabad!!!:) :wavey: :bounce: :cool: :wavey: :bounce:

roby
Jan 30th, 2003, 10:14 AM
maybe this website need a reference or something

jayakris
Jan 30th, 2003, 01:25 PM
They are doing it the first time; I am sure they will get these things right soon.. I hope!

Jay

King Aaron
Jan 30th, 2003, 05:17 PM
I think the have some problems with the letter 'J' ;)