PDA

View Full Version : Martina N to play in Sydney

gossipcom
Dec 31st, 2002, 01:21 AM
Martina N to play in Sydney (Fox Sports) (http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,5771567-23210,00.html)

Martina to play in Sydney
December 31, 2002

MARTINA NAVRATILOVA is to return to Sydney after a 13 year absence to play doubles at the adidas International.

The 46-year-old will partner one of the young guns of the women's game, 22-year-old Alexandra Stevenson.

The last time the American played in Sydney was the NSW Open at White City in 1989.

That year she won the singles title and teamed with Pam Shriver to win the doubles.

AAP

ColinB
Dec 31st, 2002, 01:56 AM
That's a very interesting partnership.... I can see the two of them combining well if Alex's ego doesn't get in thw ay... I'll be there to see how they gel together....

Venus Forever
Dec 31st, 2002, 02:05 AM
Very interesting partnership indeed.

GO ALEXANDRA AND MARTINA!!

SM
Dec 31st, 2002, 03:31 AM
Ill be there too Colin...itll be my only chance to see her play in the flesh...heck ive barely seen her play on telli either....only [roblem would be dragging my friends over to see a doubles match

i think Alex is a near perfect match for her with that bomb of a serve, big returns and good hands

Zummi
Dec 31st, 2002, 04:03 AM
What great news!

This is going to be the first time Martina's playing with someone other than Pam Shriver in Sydney since 1980 when she played with Betsy Nagelsen.

tenn_ace
Dec 31st, 2002, 04:14 AM
how could Alex's mom allow it? her daughter is playing with a lesbian??? :confused:

BK4ever
Dec 31st, 2002, 04:27 AM
:rolleyes:

Zummi
Dec 31st, 2002, 04:32 AM
A friend saw Martina practice with Alexandra at Eastbourne in 2000 and Martina greeted Samantha with a hug. I guess it's all cool between them.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 31st, 2002, 04:51 AM
LMAO Tenn_Ace. I didn't want to laugh, but well...:D

I'm sure Serena's strong religious beliefs would be against lesbianism too, but she played w/Navratilova. It's a chance to play with a LEGEND! Who wouldn't take it?!

Nice to see Martina finally realizing what she needs in a doubles partner (no older than 21, strong, fairly quick with booming shots). Go Martina!

tenn_ace
Dec 31st, 2002, 05:01 AM
oh c'mon people... I love Martina with all my heart.. besides all her tennis achievements, she's just a cool gal.

I'm trying to make fun of Sam who was talking a lot of lesbianism in the locker room just couple of years ago...

BTW, I was saying it from the time Martina came back to the tour: as m,uch as I like ASV, Natasha and co, Martina didn't need anyone with powerless quick hands or intuition.... what she needed is power. Martina has the rest.

selesfan1
Dec 31st, 2002, 05:18 AM
Serena have strong religious beliefs!!!!! LOL HaHa HA not with those outfits

Martian KC
Dec 31st, 2002, 05:45 AM
LOL! stevenson might catch cooties!:rolleyes::o

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 31st, 2002, 06:31 AM
OMG!! :eek: I hope I can see them there!! :bounce:

If they play on whenever that I don't going then, I must go there on that day and buy a ticket!! :o