PDA

View Full Version : Majoli puts shoulder into improving fitness

tennisIlove09
Dec 28th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Majoli puts shoulder into improving fitness
The Gold Coast Bulletin

CROATIAN comeback girl Iva Majoli is not placing any expectations on her 2003 season but would dearly love to improve on her round one elimination from last year's Uncle Tobys Hardcourts at Royal Pines beginning tomorrow.

Majoli has battled chronic shoulder problems with her right playing arm and after a stressful few years the 1997 French Open Champion wants just to keep herself on the court.

"Everything is going well at the moment but I'm not really setting any goals, my big goal is to be healthy," said Majoli.

"I really worked on my fitness over the off-season to be ready for big games.

"I have found that when you want things the most it doesn't happen."

One of the difficulties Majoli has found in her recovery is coping with the expectations of being a French Open champion and being touted as a possible world No. 1.

"The win wasn't something I expected, no one expected me to win," she said.

"Everything after that was new and different. The pressure and attention that everybody thought I could be No. 1.

"If I wasn't 100 per cent everyone really wanted to beat you because you are the French champion."

Although Majoli's major focus is for the Australian Open starting in Melbourne late January she arrived extra early on the Gold Coast to properly prepare for the Hardcourts.

"This is the first time I have come over a few days early to prepare," she said.

"Everyone wants to get ready for the Australian Open because that is the big one we are all here for."

The 25-year-old world No. 32 is making a point of forgetting past failures on the Coast but is impressed by the quality of field assembled for the tournament.

novotnaquinton
Dec 28th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Go Iva!!!!!!!!!
I know you can be a top 10 in 2003!!!!!!!!!~!!!!!!:)

Jakeev
Dec 28th, 2002, 07:41 AM
I think Iva has the talent to be a top 15 or better player. She strong groundstrokes off both wings and when she is at her best you can see her confidence on court.

Majoli would definitely add more spice if she could begin challenging the top again.

tennisIlove09
Dec 28th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Jakeev
I think Iva has the talent to be a top 15 or better player. She strong groundstrokes off both wings and when she is at her best you can see her confidence on court.

Majoli would definitely add more spice if she could begin challenging the top again.

I agree. I was watching the US Open, where Majoli beat Ashley Harkleroad pretty easily. She has so much power, yet I find her one of the few people who can control the power on clay. If only she could become more consistent.

I remember this year, she won the Family Circle, and then lost a final in the next event...which she should have won. It's the matches she SHOULD win that she loses.

Anyway, all the best Iva

schris
Dec 28th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Good Luck Iva !!!! :kiss:

Libertango
Dec 28th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Go Iva,good luck for 2003!!

Monica_Rules
Dec 28th, 2002, 10:49 AM
YEAH IVA:D

Experimentee
Dec 28th, 2002, 11:54 AM
I hope Iva can come back strong in 2003 and make top 20 again!

Seles_Beckham
Dec 28th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Good luck IVA...

Venus Forever
Dec 28th, 2002, 05:29 PM
I definitely hope she gets back to where she once was.

GO IVA!!:bounce:

sartrista7
Dec 28th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by tennisIlove09
"I really worked on my fitness over the off-season to be ready for big games.

*wanting to believe this so much*

*trying to imagine Iva working*

not happening

Seriously, I'd love this to be true. Go Iva! :bounce:

croat123
Dec 28th, 2002, 07:19 PM
AJMO IVA!!!!!:bounce:
NABI IH SVE U 2003.

-Sonic-
Dec 28th, 2002, 09:22 PM
I really hoped she would have kicked on after that Charleston win... sadly it didn't :( but new year, new chances to get it together and get back up there!