PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Justine and Kim should cut down their schedules some this coming season?

Dawn Marie
Dec 28th, 2002, 06:49 AM
I was looking at the rankings tonight and was thinking that it may be beneficial to them both if they cut down on some tourneys. The WTA tour is hard on the body, and maybe if they cut down it will give one or BOTH of them even better chances to take home a slam.

What do you all think? I say cut down a bit. Play about 18 tourneys.:) Or maybe 20 at max.

disposablehero
Dec 28th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Kim might need to cut back to about 20, because she will be playing into the weekend of almost every single event.

WtaTour4Ever
Dec 28th, 2002, 07:10 AM
I agree anything more than 20....you start to get diminishing returns imho.

Dawn Marie
Dec 28th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Disposable, that may very well be true but I highly doubt it.:) Seriously though don't you think they both should cut down a bit this season? When I was browsing the rankings and saw how many tournaments that they played, I couldn't help but wonder if they cut down like V@S did a few years back, that that will give them even a better chance at the slams. I think yes.:)

BasicTennis
Dec 28th, 2002, 07:21 AM
They should continue doing the same thing....Serena would win all the 2003 GS titltes anyway.;)

Come-on-kim
Dec 28th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Well, I dunno as Kim needs a lot of match rhythm!!

tennisIlove09
Dec 28th, 2002, 07:51 AM
I think they should. It may help them at the bigger events.

Take Roland Garros as an example. Perhaps if Henin HADN'T played so many warm-ups, she wouldn't have gotten sick :o :confused:

Brαm
Dec 28th, 2002, 10:36 AM
What's that got to do with it? She caught a virus, but not by playing too many tournaments :rolleyes:

I say they're doing what's good for them! +/-22 is good for them :)

Dawn Marie
Dec 28th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Bram but how do we know that playing less won't benefit them both even more so? Kim did have that nagging shoulder injury. I really do think that it would beneficial for them if they dropped down on the number of tournaments they enter this season. Now if they don't and one of them wins a grandslam I won't be surprised at all either.

Brαm
Dec 28th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Kim's told the press numerous times that she needs to play a lot of matches to find a good rhythm. Because of the injury she carried for almost the half of last season, she couldn't train a lot or play a lot of matches and therefore she had some crappy results, such as Indian Wells 1st lmatch loss, FO, Rosmalen loss to Pisnik (!), Wimbledon 2nd round exit etc.
She only got better when her shoulder got better and she started to play a lot (summer US hardcourts season & Euro-indoors).

per4ever
Dec 28th, 2002, 10:56 AM
euhm Justine is cutting down her schedule this year.. she said she wouldn't play that many events anymore..just try to peak on the big tourni's. That's why she isn't playing Gold Coast, Paris etc

BasicTennis
Dec 28th, 2002, 10:59 AM
One case wouldn't be the same for another. There are players who would feel better/more confident playing more matches than the others. The Williams easily gets injured and they're smart enough to take care of their bodies.

Come-on-kim
Dec 28th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by per4ever
euhm Justine is cutting down her schedule this year.. she said she wouldn't play that many events anymore..just try to peak on the big tourni's. That's why she isn't playing Gold Coast, Paris etc

Hey K,

not playing Paris :rolleyes: but she's playing the week after Antwerp in Dubai:rolleyes:

per4ever
Dec 28th, 2002, 12:01 PM
of course...an extra week off..then Antwerp...and then earning money in Dubai where the top 3 is playing.

Come-on-kim
Dec 28th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by per4ever
of course...an extra week off..then Antwerp...and then earning money in Dubai where the top 3 is playing.

I thought she would have better played in Paris, and then take a rest after Antwerp to fly to the United States!

Here, she'll take a rest, then playing in Antwerp, then flying to Dubai, then coming back to Belgium before leaving to the United States!! She'll be tired!!

Josh
Dec 28th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Will Justine even play Indian Wells and Miami? I thought she would have a similar schedule as Amélie.

King Aaron
Dec 28th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Justine should cut back. Glad she's doing so.

Kim will do fine

Fedcup
Dec 28th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by bram_born84
What's that got to do with it? She caught a virus, but not by playing too many tournaments :rolleyes:

I say they're doing what's good for them! +/-22 is good for them :)

That has everything to do with it.
Lot's of top players who are on top form very often fell sick.
Henin played lot's of tourneys and came to a high level. Her body was in top condition and this is a dangerous situation to get some type of virus.
That's just he contradiction of being in top form. You need it but on the same moment your body is very captive to wathever type of virus.
Their's a medical explenation of this but I don't know it. I just heard it from a sport doctor and also many sportsmen on television.

For belgian people. Look at Erwin Vervecken or Bart Wellens. On the top period in their sport they felt sick.

Dawn Marie
Dec 28th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Well I think that Justine cutting back is going to do her good.:)

Fingon
Dec 28th, 2002, 10:33 PM
I don't know about Kim, but I think Justine should play between 18 and 20 tournaments, no more than that. I think she was kind of exhausted at the end of the year and the excuse that she lost early in some of them isn't valid, she still had to travel, get ready, etc.

I don't like her playing Dubai, that's a tournament that is forced by the money. There isn't any tennis tradition there and there are not player from there, I am sure that if it wasn't for the appearance fees nobody would want to play there :mad:

And Justine is skipping Paris to play that silly tournament, after I've already bought the tickets :fiery: but in any case, I don't think it's a good tournament to play, when Paris and Antwerp (both on the same surface and quite near) match up quite well, hope she changes her mind.

I think she should play either IW or Miami but not both, I also doubt she should play the three clay events before FO, she always gets some sort of injury or illness :fiery: