PDA

View Full Version : Hard Ball vs. Heavy Ball

WtaTour4Ever
Dec 27th, 2002, 09:16 PM
I asked this in another thread but I thought it best to start a new one.

Ok...whats a heavy ball as opposed to hitting a ball hard? And how do you learn to hit a heavy ball?

DEETHELICK
Dec 27th, 2002, 09:39 PM
From what I read, I'm assuming a heavy ball is one that is hit with topspin (or any kind of spin), whilst a hard ball is mainly flat.

The trick is to master a hard hit ball with a lot of spin, then you have a heavy hard hit shot. Triple H :)

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 27th, 2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by WtaTour4Ever

Ok...whats a heavy ball as opposed to hitting a ball hard? And how do you learn to hit a heavy ball?

Well I find that it depends on the guy...ooops, you talking about tennis. MY BAD....:angel:

Screw you...who the hell are you to judge me...:o

MinskLynx
Dec 27th, 2002, 09:44 PM
A hard ball is easy to handle, nearly every man and some women I have ever played hits hard balls. They just come fast, not a major deal to handle.

Some men, but nearly no women hit heavy balls. You feel those suckers down to the core of your body. Suddenly it is the ball itself that is attacking you.

I call it "pounce" because thats exactly what the ball does to you.

GrandSlammed
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:02 PM
Sabine Appelman's said of Serena Williams groundstroke:

Australian 00
"She hits her forehand with a lot of topspin. ... It was very hard but it's different to the other girls. It's more like how the men play," said the 27-year-old Belgian, a quarterfinalist here in 1997.

SM
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:39 PM
Personallyi find it easiest to play with power if the ball is coming to me flat and hard.

With a heavy ball coming at you its definately harder to time which is one of the biggest problems so i dont think you can transfer your weight properly, and also its not as easy to step in to it and take it earlier. Conchita Martinez would be shocking to play :o

WtaTour4Ever
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:52 PM
Cool thanx for the info...I'll keep that in mind the next time I play...but I use an eastern grip so I think it may be a little harder to generate a lot of topspin w/o changing my grip.

CB
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:53 PM
A heavy ball has got a lot of spin and the most important - depth.

Power is nothing without depth. It's better to have a deep shot, even if it isn't hard, than a hard one but short. Puts your opponent in the defense.

BK4ever
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:58 PM
My friend uses a decent amount of spin but has amazing racquet head speed, his balls feel like they could knock me off my feet. If I don't transfer my weight with impeccable timing, the racquet feels like its going to fall out of my hand.

joaco
Dec 28th, 2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by WtaTour4Ever

OK. some things said here, I don't really think they're correct. A heavy ball can be hit with any kind of effect but the main tip is to put the body's weight on the ball. How can this be done? While hitting jump using not only your arms to hit but also your legs, this means trying to do every effort to transfer your body weight into the ball. Bend your knees, and the hit "moving" forward.
Heavy balls and hard balls can be confused very easily, because many heavy balls can also be hard ones because their speed is also very high. The difference is that hard balls are almost always flat and they can be returned easily by blocking the ball. Blocking the ball with heavy balls won't give you a good result.

Hope this will be useful :) Lindsay Davenport hits really really heavy balls while they're also hard. I watch lots of her tapes and try to imitate her movements, etc. You could try to do the same...

Joaco

WtaTour4Ever
Dec 28th, 2002, 12:29 AM
hmmm Maybe I'm too new at tennis b/c I haven't really perfected or even attempted to jump into the ball....what i mean is that my feet don't leave the ground when i hit the ball.......except on my backhand but thats only one leg.

I've noticed in still shots of people esp the backhand how their bodies are leaning into the shot......they must be putting their "weight" into the ball......

sorry for rambling...thx for all the tips

DEETHELICK
Dec 28th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Yeah Lindsay hits the heaviest and hardest hit shots. Elena D, a power hitter herself that when Lindsay hits balls, they are like cannon balls, that they felt really heavy.

Kiswana
Dec 28th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Hard : Hit with pace and power (Williams, Davenport, Capriati...)

Heavy : Lot of topspin. If it's not hit early it will fly (Martinez, Zvereva, ASV)

Hevay balls do not have to be hit with a lot of pace or power.

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 28th, 2002, 10:20 PM
if you can combine heavy topsin with power thats when things start to look decidedly tricky for opponents

Lindsay hits flat hard shots.

o0O0o
Dec 29th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Well, flat balls can also be heavy. Anyone ever play a flat hitter on hard courts? Not that difficult. Ever play them on grass? I have. Suddenly their ball pushes your racket back with much more effect. But for most surfaces, the more topspin, the heavier it is.