PDA

View Full Version : Which player has the most all-around and entertaining game?!

nuriboy
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:32 PM
Which player do u think has the most all-around and entertaining game?!

My pick:
Serena: Her game is just awesome when she is on. Baseline power, net play, crosscourt shots, aces! A joy to watch her!!

treufreund
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:35 PM
MARTINA HINGIS followed by Amelie Mauresmo. :D

JCAP
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:48 PM
Jennifer then Martina then Serena

irma
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:51 PM
kimmy
serena
anna (when she is on and motivated. she is a pleasure to watch)

Fingon
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Justine
Martina

nuriboy
Dec 27th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Oh Irma girl! No Steffi?!

Shuji Shuriken
Dec 27th, 2002, 09:22 PM
Oh hell...I'm gonna do it anyway. (Another thread to name your faves: just follow me boys and girls).

Venus Williams by far. i can watch her play all day!!! You rock Queen Vee!!! Woohoo!!!

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 27th, 2002, 09:25 PM
Venus and Serena...

irma
Dec 27th, 2002, 09:27 PM
I was talking about active players!

DEETHELICK
Dec 27th, 2002, 09:37 PM
Agree with Fingon, Justine and Martina (although these days her game isn't what it used to be).

I enjoy watching Jen play too, especially when she unleashes a forehand. Amazing...

nuriboy
Dec 27th, 2002, 09:38 PM
I know, i know Irma. Just to tease you!

Gonzo Hates Me!
Dec 27th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Serena and Kim!!!!!!!!

MinskLynx
Dec 27th, 2002, 09:50 PM
Anna really is an entertaining player to watch. A beautiful game.

Mauresmo is the same.

Schnyder takes it for me.

MartinaI
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:29 PM
MARTINA HINGIS obviously!

barmaid
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:30 PM
Martina Hingis!! Wishing you a 100% recovery to your old form....then she can show everybody just how "entertaining " her game really is!! Have a great 2003!! :hearts: :kiss:

barmaid:wavey:

Maajken
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:31 PM
martina and lindsay

tennisIlove09
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:31 PM
For one player? Venus, Anna, Rita Grande, Patty Schnyder are at the top of my list.

But I always think two people bring out the best in each other.

Hingis/Venus
Jen/Serena

Even the Grande/JenCap Aussie match in 2002 was entertaining!

way
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:37 PM
Alltime: Navratilova and Mandlikova.
Present: Hingis (who I'm afraid will remain the last)

PhoenixStorm
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:39 PM
Venus and Serena of course.

Becool
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:50 PM
Serena has such an entertaining game! Her match against Davenport was so cool. And had everything to be a boring match. But Serena's reaction kinda calling the crowd was awesome. The crowd was really into the match. And also her game. It's so cool to watch her playing and see what's her next shot.

Serena obvioulsy is the Queen of entertainament

rhz
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:09 PM
Justine and Amelie followed by Anna K!

fammmmedspin
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:19 PM
Patty on a good day against someone who ought to beat her.
Martina in the same circumstances with her legs(ankles), aggression and confidence back.

Pureracket
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:21 PM
Instead of coming up with thread names, why don't we just cut and paste our favs for every post in General Messages?
That would probably save more time. LOL!!!!!

Nuriboy,
This crusade of yours is admirable. *clocker lifts his staff up to nuriboy* Godspeed!!!!!

Jordan.
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:23 PM
Anna K, Rita Grande, Martina Hingis

aisha
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:41 PM
When Serena's rolling over ladies 6-1, 6-2, she'll pull the finesse shots out the arsenal, something I wish she'd do more often. She's quite entertaining.

nuriboy
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:55 PM
Way: I see it.....is that because your past greats have such a good record against her?!

nuriboy
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:56 PM
I donīt know why you are so critic of todays players?! Is their play so different from the past?!

way
Dec 28th, 2002, 12:29 AM
Hey, Nuriboy, are in love with me or what?
(not that i dislike the feeling, that is)
:)

Yes, today's game is very different from the past's.
It all started with Graf, in a way.
Seles stressed it more than her.
Nowadays nobody plays the *original* game, which mostly consisted in putting a steady ball inside the lines, not launching missiles using *percentage targets*.
In the nineties, apart from *marginal* players (Golarsa, e.g.) the only big to play *that* tennis had remained Novotna (if we don't put Navra in).
Hingis is a little closer to the *oldies* than the likes of Capriati, Davenport and the Williamses, that's for sure.
Maybe Justine Henin is a little bit different.
Power Tennis they call it.
Tennis I used to call *that*.

nuriboy
Dec 28th, 2002, 01:44 AM
What the hell is this?! Why should I be in love with you?! Itīs only that when I see threads like this I remember how much you despise tennis of today?!

You have to say like it is! Graf is THE example of the tennis you dislike...funny eh! One of your " greats" started "ruining" the game!! You said it yourself! And now that the Williams play the same style itīs bad?! Whatīs that for logic?!

SM
Dec 28th, 2002, 04:52 AM
i think it was a natural evolution...over the last few decades women became bigger, stronger, more liberated ;) more everything!

So if your big and strong why not use that to win your matches and have a say in it!!?...instead of opting for the old maxim of keep a steady ball in play and wait for opponent to miss which is not gonna cut it now

spencercarlos
Dec 28th, 2002, 05:05 AM
i Think Arantxa has the most all around and entertaining game. She could defend, attack, i love her spirit on the court.

Sam L
Dec 28th, 2002, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by way
Nowadays nobody plays the *original* game, which mostly consisted in putting a steady ball inside the lines, not launching missiles using *percentage targets*.

Didn't Helen Wills used to launch missiles in the 30's? :confused:

I think either Mauresmo or Henin has the most exciting and all round game but Hantuchova's the best for me to watch.

Martina Hingis used to be quite creative, but now she prefers to just roll the ball in.

way
Dec 28th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by nuriboy
What the hell is this?! Why should I be in love with you?! Itīs only that when I see threads like this I remember how much you despise tennis of today?!

It's because you answer ANY SINGLE POST of mine.
Either profound admiration or love, isn't it?
:)

You have to say like it is! Graf is THE example of the tennis you dislike...funny eh! One of your " greats" started "ruining" the game!! You said it yourself! And now that the Williams play the same style itīs bad?! Whatīs that for logic?!

Well, that's not too off.
The point is, nuri (I took one year to explain this to clever people, hope I won't take more with you..:) ) that I cant' be a fan in the sense that I like ANYTHING a player does.
So even when I say this or that player is the best, the finest, the winningest this doesn't imply more than what I say.
I do not ADORE players.
That I leave to fans.
And, in my case, I reserve this feeling for God.
Specifically, the fact the I reckon Graf the best single player mever has to do with what she did (and I saw) in 88 and especially 89, not with her game.
For the game, nobody can even approach Navratilova, for example.
And it's not true that i dislike the game now, i simply dont' find it so elegant, classical, and *deserving* as it was.
And Serena Williams is even the one I like best, among the present players.

way
Dec 28th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Sam L,
the missiles Wills launched were stones in comparison with the Scuds of today.
Any player could return a serve back in the preopen era, even in mens' tennis.
An *ivanisevic-like*game quality is impossible to be found before 15 years ago.

Sam L
Dec 28th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by way
Sam L,
the missiles Wills launched were stones in comparison with the Scuds of today.
Any player could return a serve back in the preopen era, even in mens' tennis.
An *ivanisevic-like*game quality is impossible to be found before 15 years ago.

But they used wooden rackets way! :confused:
Give Serena a wood racket and see what she can do with it.

But I do agree with your statement: "And it's not true that i dislike the game now, i simply dont' find it so elegant, classical, and *deserving* as it was."

I've heard that said often, and it's not just about the women. Tennis, overall.

irma
Dec 28th, 2002, 09:40 AM
didn't a player called rosco tanner(or something like that) have a ivanisevic like serve?

way
Dec 28th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Yes, he did.
Borg wasw in trouble against him.
But in the end he used to win.
Now you can build a career on serve (Ivanisevic, Philippousis, Ruzedsky) without even having all shots in your bag.
If you have ALSO a great serve (Sampras, Krajcek, Stich) is more "watchable", actually.
But tell me you see someone play like McEnroe these days......
In womens' tennis it is much better.

nuriboy
Dec 28th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Ok dan....just for you to know that it isnīt a thing of today. It started in the past.

Experimentee
Dec 28th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Venus and Serena because they hit a lot of winners, cover the court well and are exciting to watch.

ktwtennis
Dec 28th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Martina, then Monica.

GoDominique
Dec 28th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Most entertaining ? Anna K., when she's off.

schris
Dec 28th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Most entertaining : Monica, Justine, Kim, Venus..... (Graf, Sabatini )

Sonf@
Dec 28th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Magui, Conchita, Eleni, Henin, Hingis...