PDA

View Full Version : Well.. Venus got her College Degree..

venusfan
Dec 27th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Howard University Graduate:

okay so this may be old news but she is one of the few players on tour with a college Bachelors Degree. Honorary or no Honorary.

Legends
Dec 27th, 2002, 06:33 PM
WOW

Well done Venus

she has been wanting this for a long time.

I am so proud of her:hearts:

irma
Dec 27th, 2002, 06:38 PM
it's remarkable that she did it while being on tour and travelling around the world. venus must be smart:)

nuriboy
Dec 27th, 2002, 06:43 PM
That proves you how good Venus( and Serena to an extent) must be at tennis. While attending college they can still come and blow everybody off the court. which great can claim that?

Legends
Dec 27th, 2002, 06:48 PM
I have the impression, from comments Richard broadcasted about Serena in the first half of the year, that she is not as focussed on her college education as Venus has been.
if so, then maybe Venus getting her degree will motivate her to finish hers.

BTW, Venusfan, i hope you don't mind my asking but were did you come across this information?

Fortis
Dec 27th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Let's be real. An honorary degree is just that honorary. She could not get a job with that degree no matter how hard she tried.

A real degree requires three or four years of hard work. A honorary degree is just a piece of paper given to someone who members of the graduating class wants to honor that's all.

griffin
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:00 PM
She received a special award (Citation for Special Achievement, I believe - I'm not sure if that's what HU call's its honorary degrees or not) from Howard University last may. It's quite an honor, but it's not the same as a earning a bachelor's degree.

http://www.howard.edu/newsevents/Capstone/2002/May/news2.htm

Legends
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Duh...

a bit slow in my old age

this is to do with the honourary degree she got beginning of the year not the completion of her own degree.

her degree program is at the florida institute (a design college) not Howard unviersity. but i understand she only has a few more credits till completion.

so any moment now, looking forward to the announcement that shows one of her lifelong objectives has been achieved.

GO Venus.

:hearts: :wavey:

Tratree
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Venus is working on an Associate Degree at the Florida design school, not a Bachelor's.

Congrats on the Howard honor though. A well-deserved achievement.

King Lindsay
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:34 PM
a well-deserved achievement? big deal, somebody gave her an honorary degree. i despise the entire concept of honorary degrees. When or if Venus completes a real one, through the traditional methods of hard work and diligence, call me and I'll be the first to applaud. But this means nothing.

griffin
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Nothing? I don't think Howard hands out awards based on popularity contests, I believe they recognize outstanding achievements and celebrate role models. The award may not mean the same thing as awarding an academic degree, but that's a far cry from saying it means "nothing"

Tratree
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by griffin
Nothing? I don't think Howard hands out awards based on popularity contests, I believe they recognize outstanding achievements and celebrate role models. The award may not mean the same thing as awarding an academic degree, but that's a far cry from saying it means "nothing"

My sentiments exactly, Griffin.

irma
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:48 PM
maybe she got it because she is a topplayer and combines it with working on a "officially" degree?

I think she and serena are true examples for the youth:)

King Lindsay
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Really Griffin? I think they, like every other university/college, hand out honorary degrees to celebrities in order to increase the prestige of their operation. it means nothing.

Pureracket
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Well, degree or not, one doesn't have to even have a 1st grade education to realize when people have petty jealousies against Venus.

Keep inspiring us all, Venus!!!!!

King Lindsay
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:56 PM
clocker, I have nothing against Venus, and I'm certainly not jealous of her "degree". I do have a problem with honorary degrees, and it doesn't even take a first grade education to realize that that is what I'm bashing, not Venus.

griffin
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:05 PM
Really, KL, but you can think whatever you want.

King Lindsay
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:07 PM
You're damn right I can. and I choose to think and see the truth, unlike the majority of you.

griffin
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:09 PM
Sorry, what was that? My blinders make it hard to see the screen sometimes... :rolleyes:

Rae Q.
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by griffin
She received a special award (Citation for Special Achievement, I believe - I'm not sure if that's what HU call's its honorary degrees or not) from Howard University last may. It's quite an honor, but it's not the same as a earning a bachelor's degree.

http://www.howard.edu/newsevents/Capstone/2002/May/news2.htm

Venus is my second fav and all and it's awesome that she got that from Howard but it's totally not the same as getting a degree by actually taking classes and passing them.

King Lindsay
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:16 PM
apparently they also make it hard to construct a better counter-argument than "you can think what you want".

Pureracket
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:18 PM
To suggest that the "honorary" degree from Howard U. is nothing completely diminishes that institution's mission of nurturing, educating, and recognizing honorary citizens.

Too bad some of you all thought that it was an academic degree. Too bad others of you aren't even proud of Venus for what others would consider a wonderful honor. Consider that word - honor.

King Lindsay
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:21 PM
It has nothing to do with nurturing, educating or recognizing honorary citizens. Rather, it's a university trolling for prestige and nothing more.

Pureracket
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:28 PM
KL,
I can definitely see how you can say that, but are you sure that that is true in ALL cases? My uncle attended Howard U., and was a member of the board or trustees for a long, long time.

As you obviously have the inside track on most of the dealings of colleges and universities and their awards systems, a bit of mine comes mainly from dealing with the alumni of Howard U.

Let me tell you, the University considers itself one of the premier Universities in the country and takes very seriously its awards and honors. True, at that particular moment, the name of the recipient could very well outshine the particular institution, but in the long run, it's the recipient who wins. The prestige that you are talking about is subsequent.

King Lindsay
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:35 PM
am I sure it is true in all cases? I'm sure that in all cases the university realizes what they have to gain by the award. i believe the entire reason Howard U. gave the degree to Venus is so that they can now say that Venus Williams holds a degree from their university. Sounds pretty good, doesn't it?

why do you think the recipient wins in the long run? Not disagreeing necessarily, just curious as to why you think that?

Pureracket
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:43 PM
KL,
Yes, the university does have the opportunity for prestige and popularity as you suggest, but don't you think that a university(namely Howard) could possibly be recognizing Venus for fitting the criteria of one who is worthy of the award? Publicly, she seems worthy of it to me. The Nobel prize committee has given out awards to Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Jimmy Carter. Would you say that they are handing out this "honor" to someone who is worthy, or would you say they are honoring someone so that the Nobel Committee will grow in prestige and popularity?

In the end, universities rarely list the degrees that have been awarded on an honorary basis. If so, every president of the USA would probably be on these lists; however, the individuals (especially Venus, who may or may not ever receive a bachelor's degree) will be able to list this feat as one of many honors and awards.

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:46 PM
Linds got one from a junior high school in LA...I think that is a bigger honor...:rolleyes:

Green is such and ugly color on you KL...:wavey:

Isha312
That's very nice for Venus. A quick question: Does any university give honorary degrees to "normal" people, that is to say someone who is NOT a celebrity?

venusfan
Maya Angelou got an Honorary Degree from Wake Forrest and right now is one of the highest payed college professor at the school.. and she never even went to college.

griffin
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Here's an idea - call Howard and ask for a copy of their appliation materials and college catalog. You will probably find a few pictures of V at the ceremony, but I'm willing to bet you will also see that they are extremely careful to point out that she received a special award (which is what their own press release called it if you go to their website) or at most an "honorary" degree. You will not find them claiming V (or any of the other people they've honored) as a graduate, or refer to her as holding anything but an award from the school.

Some schools are louder than others about who they've honored, but most are pretty clear that honorary degrees are just that - honorary.

Show me a prominent university and I will show you an institution that guards its prestige jealously, and that will take great pains to protect it. And no, most of them will not think pretending someone graduated from their school when they never even took a course "sounds good"

King Lindsay
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:54 PM
The Nobel Prize committee is different. They exist solely to honor the works of great individuals, unlike a university, which exists to further education.

Perhaps universities rarely list the degrees they have awarded on an honorary basis. I wouldn't know. But I do know that everytime they present one to a celebrity it generates publicity for the university, and also links that celeb's name to the university whether or not they choose to "list" it later.

clocker, i've totally lost my train of thought, and I've been trying to churn out this post for the last ten minutes. lol. That's quite enough I think. So I haven't said everything I want to, but I think you get my point.

Pureracket
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:56 PM
KL,
I'll agree with you only if you say that you have my point as well.

griffin
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by JCapzNumba1Fan
That's very nice for Venus. A quick question: Does any university give honorary degrees to "normal" people, that is to say someone who is NOT a celebrity?

That depends on what you mean by "celebrity" I suppose, but yes: artists, other academics, politicians, community and/or business leaders...

As for Maya Angelou - I can think of a number of subjects she's more than qualified to teach regardless of what degrees she's earned.

KL, hell, I'll even agree with you that some honoraries are bs - I just don't agree that all of them are, and that to be singled out for actual achievement is meaningless.

King Lindsay
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:57 PM
Grrrrrr, one more time.

TopShotta, if Lindsay has an honorary degree, I say it means exactly as much as Venus' does. which is to say nothing. And in case you missed it before, I'm objecting the practice of granting honorary degrees, not venus getting one.

No, Universities do not give honorary degree to "normal" people. They save it for celebrities for the purpose of generating publicity and prestige.

Griffin, if they didn't want to pretend somebody was associated with them who wasn't, then they wouldn't grant honorary degrees in the first place.

King Lindsay
Dec 27th, 2002, 09:07 PM
Okay Clocker, how about this? I was never trying to suggest that Venus isn't worthy of this award, I think she's as worthy as anyone else. I'm questioning the importance and the motivation behind the award, both which I find to be suspect. i'm not trying to say that people don't deserve to be recognized for spectacular achievements ala the Nobel Prizes.

griffin, I'm suggestign that being singled out for this particular achievement that Venus earned from Howard u is meanefuidsf aersaewruy adsfuyg refd

I hate this topic, My brain is dying.

Irish
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Fortis
Let's be real. An honorary degree is just that honorary. She could not get a job with that degree no matter how hard she tried.

A real degree requires three or four years of hard work. A honorary degree is just a piece of paper given to someone who members of the graduating class wants to honor that's all.
Exactly!!!!!!! It is totally useless.

Irish
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by King Lindsay
a well-deserved achievement? big deal, somebody gave her an honorary degree. i despise the entire concept of honorary degrees. When or if Venus completes a real one, through the traditional methods of hard work and diligence, call me and I'll be the first to applaud. But this means nothing.
I totally agree. This is not impressive at all.

Irish
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by King Lindsay
Really Griffin? I think they, like every other university/college, hand out honorary degrees to celebrities in order to increase the prestige of their operation. it means nothing.

This is very true!!!!!!!!!! It means nothing.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:25 PM
Hey look at this way. Venus has an honorary degree and in a years time at most she'll have the real thing from her fashion school.

angele87
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:29 PM
King Lindsay, I'd have to agree with pretty much everything that you've said in here. Honorary degrees have always seemed a bit suspect to me as well because really, what is the point of them? I mean if I understand correctly, Venus isn't even going to the university yet for now and forever, her name is going to be associated with Howard University :confused: And yes, y'all are right, if Howard University does talk about Venus anywhere they are going to say it was just an honorary degree and blah blah blah but most people don't read the fine print. Not to say Venus shouldn't of received one, just to say that they just shouldn't be given out at all. Because reasons for giving them out seem to be 1) Give them to a respectable celebrity whom most everybody likes to give a little publicity to the university or 2) Give them to somebody who is very knowledgable in the certain field in which they are given their degree... reason 1 is just stupid and as for reason 2, if such person wants a degree from such university, they'll earn it!

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:31 PM
KingLindsay...why are you always so negative?

Enjoy life :D

Pureracket
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:19 PM
At least two things that I've found out on this board:

1. McDonald's is bad.

2. Honorary degrees are bad.

LOL!!!!!

nander
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:54 PM
Please people get a grip.
I have earned degrees and teach at a Universlty.
A honorary degree is just that , nothing to judge the recipient by. The institution on the other hand hopes to gain by association. Hopefully money is forthcoming for a scholarship or some such
Cambridge, Oxford, Harvard, Sorbonne, Toronto, Howard, they all do it.

Venus Forever
Dec 28th, 2002, 02:08 AM
GREAT JOB VENUS!!

:bounce:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 28th, 2002, 03:14 AM
things I've learned on this board

1) Monica is an infallible human being who rules the tour and will drop 30 pounds and compile a 61-0 record on the tour this year. She is the nicest human being in the world, can pick up any man she wants, has great fashion sense, and her farts don't stink.

2) Venus and Serena can't do anything right. They can't dress right, they don't hit enough angles, their games are two one-dimensional, they are arrogant, rude to other players and the media, don't hang their toilet paper in the traditional greco-roman fashion, can't act, can't sell the right kinds of food, don't cook their chicken properly for 45 minutes on low, and can't properly obtain a college degree.

:p

Chance
Dec 28th, 2002, 03:19 AM
lol :D

Dawn Marie
Dec 28th, 2002, 07:25 AM
LMAO AT BRADSHAW!!! LOL!!

IT DOES MEAN SOMETHING!! IT MEANS SOMETHING TO VENUS AND HER FANS AND HER FAMILY and the SCHOOL AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS!

I am PROUD of her and her DEGREE. And me being proud and Vee being proud MEANS SOMETHING. IT makes me feel good and that means something.

Does anyone know if the common folk can attend a tennis players graduation? Heck I may fly down there to see Venus march. I am for real I have thought about this.

AND STILL SHE RISES!

BasicTennis
Dec 28th, 2002, 08:39 AM
congrats Venus.

anton
Dec 28th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
KingLindsay...why are you always so negative?

Enjoy life :D

now you're talking vsfan. King Lindsay, put a little love into your heart.

Congrats to Venus on this degree!!:wavey:

King Lindsay
Dec 28th, 2002, 06:27 PM
I stand by my point, and I'll work on the love into my heart dealie.

So Pureracket. Remember the good old days on CBS? They were a riot, eh?

sartrista7
Dec 28th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Pureracket
At least two things that I've found out on this board:

1. McDonald's is bad.

2. Honorary degrees are bad.

LOL!!!!!

Hey, that's a start :D

Dawn Marie
Dec 28th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Kinglindsay just because the degree mean nothing to you, does not mean that it doesn't mean something to someone else. WHAT IT MEANS to ME or to VENUS and COMPANY is *something*that you just can't buy. *I FEEL IT* and it is SOMETHING, cause I am smiling about it.:):):):):):):):):D

You know what's coming next... that's right.

FEARLESS VENUS AND HER DEGREE RULEZ!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:

King Lindsay
Dec 28th, 2002, 06:48 PM
If Venus' degree means anything to you, Dawn, i suggest you get a life of your own.

*JR*
Dec 28th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Dawn, I'm glad 2C you've become such a positive person, rather than a trash talker like on the other BB I remember you from.

Dawn Marie
Dec 28th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Kinglindsay, I would rather speak postive about a degree while *I'm in need of a life* , then like you who thinks it MEANS NOTHING but is wasting time up in here in need of a life :) I am glad Venus has a degree, it makes me proud. PROUD is a good feeling, and it means something.:)

Hi rd878, apparently you're new to this board. Sweety I still continue to speak my mind on racism and the obvious bias that many people spew in here. I don't spew *trash*, just try to clean it up and take it on out. Which is why if you can remember I usually get into debates with people who are *banned* from here. Right now, I'm just not in the mood.

Glad you finally made it over to this board. hiya:)

King Lindsay
Dec 28th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Dawn, I'm not the one who's getting excited by a meaningless award. and not just a meaningless award, but a meaningless award that wasn't even given to you! Now that's hurting. Good that you have that good feeling, though.

Dawn Marie
Dec 28th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Yep I have a good feeling and I am EXTREMELY EXCITED, man you're missing out!

You're right you're not the one all giddy and excited, that would be ME ME ME. I'm giddy and proud and excited. Whoo hoo.:):)

oh, don't let me forget to add that.. ha hah...

FEARLESS
VENUS
RULEZ:):):)

Serendy Willick
Dec 28th, 2002, 07:14 PM
If it doesnt mean anything to you then shut the fuck up (excuse my language). I'm sure Venus is pretty honored that a major university in the country would think about honoring her. Its not a real degree, I'm pretty sure she knows that, but its an honor nonetheless. I wonder if Kournikova or Hingis had've gotten the same thing would we be hearing "oh they have a great mind rethoric" BS all over the board? Congratulations Venus and screw the idiots who turn up their nose.

King Lindsay
Dec 28th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Well luci, since you obviously didn't read the two separate posts where I said my objection to this honorary degree had nothing to do with Venus, but rather the concept itself, let me repeat that for you, and add a healthy "shut the fuck up" to you too.

Do you think you're aggravating me, dawn? You're not. You're not really amusing me either, so this is my last post to you on this subject.

*JR*
Dec 28th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Whatever the details of this degree, Venus will have career options like running a clothing co. by age 30 give or take that VERY few WTA players will. Most can either coach or hope to work in the broadcast booth, but not much else after they retire.

Dawn Marie
Dec 28th, 2002, 07:23 PM
King Lindsay are you okay? You brought up two very important terms in your last paragrapgh for some weird reason. Why would you feel or think that I am trying to bug you. Is something bugging you or making you feel aggravated? If not then why bring it up?

*Aggravating* and *amusing*. I truley don't think these words MEAN ANYTHING at all especially while concerning this thread. Nope these words or feelings *MEAN NOTHING.*

Actually those terms could mean that someone is getting all *hot* and *bothered* but I fail to see how that can be when this thread is claimed to be ABOUT *NOTHING.*:):)

Anyhow, Congrats to Venus on receiving her Honorary Degree, from a prestigious college.:)

Pureracket
Dec 28th, 2002, 08:32 PM
King Lindsay,
CBS was definitely the golden age of tennis posting. Who were you?

King Lindsay
Dec 28th, 2002, 08:45 PM
I hated Seleshfan.

Pureracket
Dec 28th, 2002, 08:48 PM
You can't be vorney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

King Lindsay
Dec 28th, 2002, 09:18 PM
can't i?

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Dec 29th, 2002, 12:32 AM
Hi Dawn :D

Spread the LOVE :D :kiss:

Pureracket
Dec 29th, 2002, 01:32 AM
Vornesa!!!!!!!!!

Dawn Marie
Dec 29th, 2002, 01:51 AM
Hi Venus fan1:):):D

*JR*
Dec 29th, 2002, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Bradshaw#1
Hey look at this way. Venus has an honorary degree and in a years time at most she'll have the real thing from her fashion school. B1 captured it in 2 sentences. (Plus, let's say Venus, God forbid, made a $ contribution besides just being a role model? Great! Howard depends for the $ to operate on the cash-strapped DC local government, a student base that's mostly poor, and their alum's, and needs the tools for their real degrees 2B as respected as possible).