PDA

View Full Version : Player with funny or odd backround ?

korben
Dec 27th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Celine Beigbeder - secretary turned pro at age of 25 (?)

Anna Pistolesi - former Russian now with Italian name

Daja Bedanova - Trained and lived in Finland for several years at her early teenage

ASV
Dec 27th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Pistolesi was in the Israeli Army

Messenger
Dec 27th, 2002, 05:39 PM
I was going to say that ASV!

Also, Nathalie Tauziat was born in Africa and Sabine Appelmans started playing left-handed (even though she is right-handed) when they separated the left-handers from the right at a tennis camp and she wanted to stay with her friend who was left-handed!

Glenn
Dec 27th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Clarisa Fernandez: Started playing tennis at 14.

Penguin
Dec 27th, 2002, 06:06 PM
yeah, the Sabine Appelmans thing is funny...

I wonder, would she have had better results if she had played right-handed?

salima
Dec 27th, 2002, 06:47 PM
She was the best swimmer in her town, until one day she came back to find all her cloths stolen. With only her wet svimmingsuit left she decided , no more swimming:fiery: I wanna be ....................
a gymnast, and that she was, until she grow too big for the liking of her coach who wantet her to eat less:fiery: , no more gymnastics she said I wanna be a ................pianoplayer. and she was, but on the way to and from the pianolessons she had to pass a tennis court, and tennis looked fun. And a tennis player she became.

Last year she reached the final in the Asian Championships, and the quarter final in the girls tournament of Wimbledon. :)
Ivanna Isroilova am I talking about;)

korben
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Nice one, Salima :bounce:

Others ?

selesfan1
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Nadia petrova is russian but trained in Egypt,Poland and in Florida.

Angeles Montolio didn't pay tennis until she was 13 I think.

Tzipora Obziler wsn't able to play in the last year because she had to de her military duty.

Jorn
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:10 PM
I wonder if someone can tell more about Dally R. Been from Africa and now in top 100, without playing in many WTA tour tourneys.
Where does she live? She also have a sister not yet as good and be in top 100.

selesfan1
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:12 PM
I think Dally was a good junior and she started playing professionally but she had some money problems and had to stop for a while. I think she lives in Antananrivo(sp.)

Glenn
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Jennifer Capriati: Joined the tour at age 15, started off really great, reaching the final in her first tournament ever and the semifinal of her first Grand Slam ever.
Continued to have great results throughout the years.
In the late of 1993, at the age of 19, got in contact with all kinds of drugs and started robbing stores, wasn't able to play on the tour anymore because of her condition and her conflicts with the police.
Late 1994: Capriati decides to try and make a comeback, but loses her first round match in the tournament of Philadelphia.
Dissapears into oblivion again until February 1996, aged 22, joins the tour back fulltime and managed to win her first slam seeded 14th at the Australian Open 2001, in the same year she managed to also win the French Open and reach the #1 spot for the first time, and in 2002 she was succesful in defending her Australian title.

ASV
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Dally has a sister named Natacha.

Dally's highest singles rank was 86 for a week in 1996

ASV
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:27 PM
Ai Sugiyama is the part owner of a company named Belly Button which controls a tennis academy, a cafe, and a flower shop in Chigasaki circa 1998

ASV
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Tauziat was born in Bangui, in the Central African Republic and lived there until age 8. Her father sold bathroom fixtures.

nuriboy
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:30 PM
The williams sisters: From ghetto to dominating the tour.

Messenger
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Penguin
yeah, the Sabine Appelmans thing is funny...

I wonder, would she have had better results if she had played right-handed?

They say that left-handed serves are more difficult to return against, so maybe she had an advantage http://www.officialforum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

These are all great stories. Is Dally R. Asian? Because I've seen pictures of her, and I thought she looked Indonesian.

ASV I didn't know that about Ai. How did you know that?

Glenn
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Anna Kournikova: Her parents sold their television to buy Anna's first racquet, now she's made both her parents millionnaires.

ASV
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Natasha Zvereva's goal is to "become the best farmer in Minsk province, and in fact picked all of her mother's apples in 1999"

ASV
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Caesar's Messenger
ASV I didn't know that about Ai. How did you know that?

I heard it during a match she played in 2 years ago on TV and I just read it in the WTA Player's Guide

ASV
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Alina Jidkova desribes one of her main interests as cross-stitching

korben
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by ASV
Alina Jidkova desribes one of her main interests as cross-stitching

What´s that ?