PDA

View Full Version : Big payoffs lure the top three players to Dubai

TeeRexx
Dec 27th, 2002, 12:20 AM
Australian Open champion Jennifer Capriati is to make her Middle East debut at the Dubai Tennis Championship, Feb. 17-March 2, joining the top-seeded Serena Williams and her sister Venus.

Also confirmed for the tournament are Henin, Amelie Mauresmo, Conchita Martinez and Iva Majoli.

------------

I wonder how much dough was shelled out to get a lineup like this in a place like Dubai.
Dubai is able to get the players to compete in its event that the Indian Wells can not force to play in its tourney.

croat123
Dec 27th, 2002, 12:24 AM
iva :D

Kiswana
Dec 27th, 2002, 03:37 AM
Has Dubai become a Tier I? It's the only reason to explain the amount of high calibre entries.

PhoenixStorm
Dec 27th, 2002, 03:39 AM
maybe they're giving out oil wells

jrm
Dec 27th, 2002, 04:22 AM
that's way martina hingis went there two years ago - god only knows how much did they pay her to play there since this was the new venue and who better to promoted than number 1 player. She also played in Doha (Tier III tournament - in recent years she only played in Hertogenbosch tournaments lower than Tier II). There was also a report of her staying in that famous hotel

V.Melb
Dec 27th, 2002, 04:37 AM
There are a whole lot of very very very rich arabs in Dubai. all oil magnates. - they can afford to fork out the money.

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 27th, 2002, 04:47 AM
its all that duty-free shopping ;)

Venus Forever
Dec 27th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Since when did Serena commit?? I thought only Venus was playing here.

tennisIlove09
Dec 27th, 2002, 06:36 AM
is this real? I've heard of Venus and JenCap playing...but Serena? I have doubts

anton
Dec 27th, 2002, 06:58 AM
they dont get paid to play there. it is against the rules. they get paid to make a public appearance at a hotel for example in a nice dress and meet the sponsors. of course while they are there they choose to play the event as part of the money under the table.

harloo
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:02 AM
well I hope the wta cancels this tournament. Their is so much stuff going on in the middle east right now. I think Dubai should be cancelled until the drama is over.

anton
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:06 AM
bombers dont hangout in dubai, just people rich beyond belief

TeeRexx
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Anton - That is funny. No bomber in Dubai, just billionaires.
Yeah, it would take a ton of dough to get me to go in that region at this time.

hingis-seles
Dec 27th, 2002, 09:11 AM
There are some extremely ignorant comments regarding Dubai. I have lots of friends in Dubai and I know for a fact that the trouble in the Middle East has nothing to do with Dubai. :rolleyes:

beecharmer
Dec 27th, 2002, 09:21 AM
I remember being told Hingis got $1 million in total to play those 2 or 3 events. The Tour doesn't mind the under the table stuff especially with new events in the country-rich areas.

rhz
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Hey, Middle East covers a lot of land, and a llot of country. So learn your Geography first before assuming that all countries are dangerous! Open your eyes to the world

anton
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:12 AM
i wonder if the players pay taxes on the "under the table" money???

Mags
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by tennisIlove09
is this real? I've heard of Venus and JenCap playing...but Serena? I have doubts

tennisIlove09 - yep the quote that TeeRexx used was from Reuters ..... DUBAI, Dec 26 (Reuters) - Australian Open champion Jennifer Capriati is to make her debut in the Middle East in the Dubai Tennis Championship from February 17 to March 2, organisers said on Thursday.

So I guess Serena is in!.

essielewis
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:43 AM
i wonder if the players pay taxes on the "under the table" money???

They had better report it and pay taxes on it or end up in jail.:o That's how Peter Graf got in trouble. He didn't report some of Steffi's appearance money.:mad:

Dubai is so far removed from what's going on in the "Middle East" that people go there all the time for vacation and business. It's like another world.:) There is no danger there for these women:rolleyes: and the shopping is great.:hearts: Venus can pick up a lot of accessories for her business:cool: and a lot of neat material she can use to cover pillows and stuff.

anton
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:52 AM
but in some countries the tax is 50% so i would be tempted not to report the under the table money since it is not really "work, work"

King Aaron
Dec 27th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Really strong field then. Wonder why Serena is there. ;)

nuriboy
Dec 27th, 2002, 01:08 PM
How do you mean why Serena´s there?! To beat them all!!

WtaTour4Ever
Dec 27th, 2002, 01:21 PM
well you know the media can hardly keep Venus and Serena straight.....lol (remember that pic of "Serena") I'll believe it when the entry list come out.

Smart
Dec 27th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Dear Trex, she is Henin-Hardenne now ;)
Good luck Justine!!!

Aloysius
Dec 27th, 2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by anton
they get paid to make a public appearance at a hotel for example in a nice dress and meet the sponsors. of course while they are there they choose to play the event as part of the money under the table.

OMG! That sounds like prostitution. It's probably why appearance fees were made illegal. The WTA and ATP didn't want to be seen as a pro-pimping organization. LOL.

Ryan
Dec 27th, 2002, 02:09 PM
they dont get paid to play there. it is against the rules. they get paid to make a public appearance at a hotel for example in a nice dress and meet the sponsors. of course while they are there they choose to play the event as part of the money under the table.

Lol, too true. They might as well un-ban appearance fees seeing how players still get paid a whack of money to go to tournaments.

Pureracket
Dec 27th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Is Dubai technically in Africa or Asia? I don't have a map nearby.

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 27th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Africa LOL

TeeRexx
Dec 27th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Smart - Go tell the API and UPI what you think Justine's name should be.

Personally, I do not like hypho names.
Either change your last name or don't, but cut out the hyphens.

miranda_lou
Dec 27th, 2002, 05:23 PM
That sounds like prostitution.

Then getting paid for an endorsement is also "prostitution" since players have to appear at functions for their sponsors or they will be dropped.:rolleyes:

Also, appearance fees are above the table for the ATP.:cool:

but in some countries the tax is 50% so i would be tempted not to report the under the table money since it is not really "work, work"

Keep some money available to play your bail.;)

JonBcn
Dec 27th, 2002, 05:43 PM
:rolleyes: too annoyed by the anti-Arab sentiment on here to post anything useful...

selesfan1
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:23 PM
Dubai is in Southwest Asia. People are very ignorant about the world.

fammmmedspin
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:58 PM
As there is a strong probability of a war with Iraq in February and the top 3 players are American, and anti-american sentiment in the Gulf will be strong, and the UAE is a major US base, I wouldn't buy tickets for this one if I were you.

JCAP
Dec 27th, 2002, 09:37 PM
Are these guys mad in the head!!

mala18
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:45 PM
Yes they so do get paid under the table,not just Venus-Serena-Jennifer-Ana K types but almost all girls that play Dubai get paid,and very well may I add. Not just that they get paid in cash before the tournament they do from sponsors too. The people wait for them at the airport they stay in the best hotels and they get newest gadgets and newest begs (vuiton,gucci,fendi) and stuff like that. People over there know how to threat the players thats why they keep on coming back,even thou this is not big tournament.:cool: