PDA

View Full Version : Tour tennis players to get additional random drug testing

TeeRexx
Dec 26th, 2002, 10:17 AM
CBSSportsNet
---
ATP, WTA, ITF will randomly test for EPO
New York, NY (Sports Network) - Starting next month, tennis players must take random drug tests to check for the banned endurance-enhancing substance EPO.

The plan to test for EPO -- short for erythropoieten -- was presented to players at Wimbledon this year.

EPO, which raises the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood, is the drug of choice in such sports as cycling and cross-country skiing.

Players will be reminded of the testing at a meeting in Melbourne on January 11, two days before the start of the 2003 Australian Open.

A positive test for EPO would result in a two-year suspension, while a second offense would result in a lifetime ban from the sport.

Players are already tested for recreational drugs and steroids by the ATP, WTA Tour, and ITF, which oversees the Grand Slam events, as well as the Davis Cup and Fed Cup.
-------
I think that Lance hay have learned how to get by this test. :eek: :)

TeeRexx
Dec 26th, 2002, 12:53 PM
But, as an amateur I am not tested, so I may use this handy drug before my next tournament. :eek:

TeeRexx
Dec 27th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Oh, no one wants to read a TRUE post of mine, eh?
That is why I do what I do LOL :)

BK4ever
Dec 27th, 2002, 06:48 AM
the penalty is so severe, i doubt anyone will mess with this drug...

carot
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:44 AM
It's not hard not to get caught even if you take EPO, traces of the product are gone within three days if i'm correct while the effects last for several weeks, so yeah i'm sure whoever takes it now won't stop cos of the announcement of these tests lol

Benny
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:52 AM
I hope this works.

TeeRexx
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Carot - I knew I could rely on you to give info on unscrupulous activities. :)

Roseie
Dec 27th, 2002, 04:30 PM
A player can take the drug, then go underground for a week till the traces wears off. You can't test someone if you don't know where they are.