PDA

View Full Version : Patty's boyfriend nailed for fraud by German feds, hopefully she's still coming to GC

vogus
Dec 26th, 2002, 02:57 AM
article from the board at www.patty-schnyder.com

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/

Schnyder's Fiance Sentenced To 18 Months For Fraud

By Tennis Week
12/20/2002

A judge presided over the proceedings, but Patty Schnyder’s fiancé offered a guilty plea rather than a wedding vow. Rainer Hoffmann, who has been engaged to Schnyder since last winter, was sentenced to 18 months in jail and three years probation for fraud in a Frankfurt court last month.

The 34-year-old Hoffmann pled guilty to embezzling more than $600,000 from Deutsche-Telekom by conducting a series of bogus transactions between 1995 and 1998. According to a published report from Tages-Anzeiger written by Urs Ellenberger, Hofmann admitting leasing thousands of dollars worth of fax and communication equipment from Telekom. The self-described “private commercial investigator” falsified invoices to avoid making leasing payments to the company before selling the equipment back to Telekom and pocketing the cash.

In addition to the leasing scam, Hoffmann sold the company a yacht he claimed belonged to a Belgian diplomat. Prosecutors charged that neither the yacht nor the diplomat “ever actually existed.”

Described by Ellenberger as “a dark, bearish German” Hofmann spent some of his time in court “grinning sarcastically” as prosecutors detailed his transgressions. Hofmann’s attorney told judge Eva-Maria Wagner he was pleading guilty to spare Schnyder the embarrassment of an extended trial and the ensuing publicity.

While the official Patty Schnyder web site does not refer to her relationship to Hofmann, the site contains the credit: “Pagination and contents: Patty Schnyder/Rainer Hofmann” at the bottom of the front page.

In addition to the fraud charges, Hofmann pled guilty to forgery in connection to a summons sent to his ex-wife from Frankfurt prosecutors requesting to interview her as part of the investigation into the Telekom case. Hofmann intercepted the summons and forged his former wife’s signature to a statement saying she refused to testify.

Initially denying the charges, Hofmann ultimately confessed his guilt. In delivering the sentence, judge Wagner said Hofmann committed “significant criminal behavior” and also required him to make a “symbolic” donation to a children’s cancer fund.

Hofmann represents Schnyder’s second controversial companion. She previously dated Rainer Harnecker, a self-described “alternative therapist” who took over as Schynder’s coach and came under criticism from Schnyder’s parents for allegedly creating her estrangement from her family as well as implementing a bizarre dietary program largely based on fruit juice.

After completing three consecutive seasons outside the top 20, Schnyder enjoyed a resurgence this season as she beat Serena Williams and Jennifer Capriati in succession en route to the Charleston final, qualified for the WTA’s season-ending championships for the first time in four years and finished the season ranked No. 13. While Hofmann had been at Schnyder’s side for much of the year the pairing has generated little press attention.

Tennisfan-Mtl
Dec 26th, 2002, 03:58 AM
Poor Patty :( As if she hadn't suffered enough yet :(

Tennisfan-Mtl
Dec 26th, 2002, 03:58 AM
I hope she is still coming to Gold Coast ...

Mrs. Peel
Dec 26th, 2002, 06:26 PM
..and I thought I made poor choices with men?!?!? lmao :o :o :eek:

treufreund
Dec 26th, 2002, 11:22 PM
Stop dating guys named Rainer! :p

schnyder lover
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:14 AM
this does not sound good! why can't she date guys her own age and who are normal? my only hope is that her experiences with men does not make her turn to lesbianism. not that in priniciple there is anything wrong with it, but i don't want my favourite player to be of that persuasion after she originally was not. although then atleast i could support anna without feeling guilty. what the hell i am talking about? i think i am looking a little too far into the future

Rollo
Dec 27th, 2002, 01:48 PM
She better hope he hasn't been taking money from HER as well.

vogus
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:35 PM
The guy's been on tour with her full-time since '99 and he hasn't had a job in four years, so he must be getting money from somewhere.

vogus
Dec 28th, 2002, 07:11 AM
I don't think women "turn to" lesbianism - just like homosexual guys, either they're lesbians or they're not. Maybe sometimes it takes a woman a while to "figure out" that she's a lesbian. Who really knows what's going on with Patty. All you can say from the outside is that her relationships have been bizarre and she doesn't seem to be interested in men her own age.

Why can't you be a fan of both Anna and Patty? Do they still have that hate-hate rivalry going on? I can't believe they haven't settled it yet.

caramel
Dec 28th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by treufreund
Stop dating guys named Rainer! :p

What´s wrong with the name? I think it sounds nice. Anyway, poor Patty. :sad:

schnyder lover
Dec 28th, 2002, 09:37 PM
don' take my comments to seriously vogus - although i do believe that some women are tempted to try a relationship with the opposite sex when they have a line of crapy relationships with men. of course i am not sayiny that this is the primary cause of lesbianism. on the anna-patty issue, this board seems to quite frequently document that they don't like each other. i hope they do. i was just saying that i personally find it difficult to support two players whom to my knowledge 'hate' each other. i will say that i do find it difficult to believe that considering they seem to have all the same friends that they could be that bitter adversies still. but who knows?

vogus
Dec 29th, 2002, 04:00 AM
That's a good point, they do have some of the same friends, especially Schett is one of Kournikova's best friends on tour and also one of Patty's.

schnyder lover
Dec 29th, 2002, 04:05 AM
yeah and hingis, rubin etc.

DutchieGirl
Dec 29th, 2002, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by schnyder lover
this does not sound good! why can't she date guys her own age and who are normal? my only hope is that her experiences with men does not make her turn to lesbianism. not that in priniciple there is anything wrong with it, but i don't want my favourite player to be of that persuasion after she originally was not. although then atleast i could support anna without feeling guilty. what the hell i am talking about? i think i am looking a little too far into the future \

:fiery: I wouldn't care if Patty's a lesbian, but I'm sure she's not!

vogus
Dec 29th, 2002, 04:16 AM
How can you be sure about something like that??

DutchieGirl
Dec 29th, 2002, 04:18 AM
ehh...well coz I know her and her brother maybe? :p

schnyder lover
Dec 29th, 2002, 04:18 AM
i don't have any issues with lesbianism. to be honest i would probably prefer she date a normal women than the wack-jobs that either gravitate toward her or she seeks out. i was only joking by the way, just a stupid comment a felt like writing. i just get annoyed at distractions apppearing whenever it seems asthough patty is back, and us fans can have some enjoyment watching her play the tennis she is capable of.

does anyone know is patty could be inm any way implicated in this case, because if they were so close would their not be a chance she knew? and wouldn't that make her a party after the fact to the crime. i will have to bone up on the laws of parties to fraud and white-collar crimes. although maybe i should nbot even be mentioning this.

DutchieGirl
Dec 29th, 2002, 04:28 AM
i don't have any issues with lesbianism. to be honest i would probably prefer she date a normal women than the wack-jobs that either gravitate toward her or she seeks out. i was only joking by the way, just a stupid comment a felt like writing. i just get annoyed at distractions apppearing whenever it seems asthough patty is back, and us fans can have some enjoyment watching her play the tennis she is capable of.

does anyone know is patty could be inm any way implicated in this case, because if they were so close would their not be a chance she knew? and wouldn't that make her a party after the fact to the crime. i will have to bone up on the laws of parties to fraud and white-collar crimes. although maybe i should nbot even be mentioning this.

oh right, so it's lesbians fault now that Patty's boyf went to jail? OMG! Maybe you should watch what you say... "it's just a silly think I felt like saying" yes well maybe, but some of us on here ARE gay, and DO take offence to stuff like that! Fine, if you don't like lesbians, but then don't go on about it. Where the hell were there ever any signs that Patty's gonna be a lesbian?

He did the stuff before Patty got together with him, so no, I shouldn't think she'd be implicated in any way.

No stop bloody obsessing about all the wrong things that *might* happen and do as you said we can now do: enjoy watching Patty play great tennis again!

vogus
Dec 29th, 2002, 04:31 AM
inky - you know her "maybe?" Great. So you can explain to us why she keeps hanging around Losertown when it comes to guys. When's the last time you had dinner with her? Do tell.

S-Lover - yeah i agree, about how it would be nice if her fans could sit back and enjoy Patty's tennis and not have this kind of distractions getting in the way. What you said about her being implicated from knowing about it, it brings up some sticky issues and i suppose that sooner or later she will have to answer questions about it.

DutchieGirl
Dec 29th, 2002, 04:36 AM
lol no, I meant "maybe" I'm pretty sure that I know she's not a lesbian coz I do know her.

Never actually had dinner with her, but I always talk to her when she's in Oz, and I am e-mailing with her bro alot. I dunno why she keeps going out with losers... I'm not about to go up to her and say, "Hi Patty, can you tell me why you go out with losers?" so that she can then tell me to f off! lol :p

DutchieGirl
Dec 29th, 2002, 04:37 AM
And lots of players have "distractions" they are humans afterall... they don't just play tennis, they also have lives too! ;)

vogus
Dec 29th, 2002, 04:38 AM
actually Inky is right, he did it before they got together, so it's probably nothing to worry about.

vogus
Dec 29th, 2002, 04:46 AM
LOL Patty telling one of her fans to f off! :-) :-) well, does her bro say anything about the loser issue, or that's not what you talk about with him?

DutchieGirl
Dec 29th, 2002, 04:51 AM
well, her bro doesn't approve of her boyfs either, but I mean I don't talk to her bro about her much... I mean then he thinks I just like him coz he's Patty's bro, and that's not very nice! Her bro has said to me from the start though that he doesn't like Hoffmann, and he wishes Patty would find a nicer guy.

gokimmie
Dec 29th, 2002, 03:19 PM
that's so sad for patty,just as she was getting her ol game back:(

Tennisfan-Mtl
Dec 29th, 2002, 05:19 PM
I hope it doesn't affect her performance in Gold Coast :(

schnyder lover
Dec 30th, 2002, 01:56 AM
sorry if my words were confusing, but i did not mean in anyway that lesbians caused patty's boyfriend to go to gaol. if i said that can you tell me where so i can correct it. i actually meant that i would prefer patty to be a lesbian than to continue going out with these nut-job boyfriends, so again it was not a comment about lesbians. i did not mean to offend you, but considering that i did try to apologise i think you could maybe calm down a little, because i don't feel i ever said anything derogatory about gay people. if i did again i am sorry.

roscoe111
Dec 30th, 2002, 02:32 AM
Haven't any orange juice drinking lesbians broken laws and gone to jail?

DutchieGirl
Dec 30th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by rd878
OK, chill everybody (with orange juice, of course :p)!

oh aren't you funny? :rolleyes:

DutchieGirl
Dec 30th, 2002, 04:26 AM
sorry if my words were confusing, but i did not mean in anyway that lesbians caused patty's boyfriend to go to gaol. if i said that can you tell me where so i can correct it. i actually meant that i would prefer patty to be a lesbian than to continue going out with these nut-job boyfriends, so again it was not a comment about lesbians. i did not mean to offend you, but considering that i did try to apologise i think you could maybe calm down a little, because i don't feel i ever said anything derogatory about gay people. if i did again i am sorry.

I still don't even get why you brought up Patty possibly being a lesbian... I mean why would you think it?

But anyway... whatever... I'm over it! ;)

schnyder lover
Dec 30th, 2002, 07:30 AM
i do not think she is a lesbian, and i did not say she was. as i said i just stupidly wrote that with all these crappy men she might lose faith in mankind. i was not being serious, but you know it is a fact that not every lesbian is genetically predisposed to be so. obviously you were (i really hope i interpreted it correctly that you said you were, i did check), as most are, but that doesn't mean that all are.

DutchieGirl
Dec 30th, 2002, 07:35 AM
no, actually, I'm not a lesbian... I like guys too (ie I'm bi), so I wasn't genetically predisposed to one or the other really.

But she is engaged to Hoffmann, just coz he's going to jail doesn't mean she's gonna break up with him. She loves him!

Tennisfan-Mtl
Dec 30th, 2002, 07:41 AM
What a weird discussion ;) All that schnyderfan was saying is that Patty might get fed up of guys so she would switch to girls ;) But I don't think it works that way ;) People with a few extra pounds would still love chocolate even though they know it's bad for them...You can't just change your sexual orientation because of bad experiences you've gone through...Please, why don't we move on ???

schnyder lover
Dec 30th, 2002, 10:30 AM
yeah i agree, it was a passing comment, not meant to spark such heated discussion.

although i don't know patty like you seem to inky, i think this eposide is sounding to much like the other rainer thing. i really feel sorry for patty and especially her family, because they have already been through so much, it must be pretty difficult (although i guess it is always a little naive talking about a family from the outside, but i am going by her brother's apparent comments). i am still a big fan of patty, and i am sure she is a really nice person, but how the hell is she going to deal with her fiance being in gaol for 18 months (was that correct?). i am just concerned that it is going to really affect her tennis, i mean how cannot it not if this is such a serious relationship? does anyone share the same concerns?

Tennisfan-Mtl
Dec 30th, 2002, 10:41 AM
I really believe it's gonna have a big negative impact on her results this year...Too bad 'cos she started to find her rythm back last year...I hope she will prove me wrong though...

schnyder lover
Dec 30th, 2002, 10:43 AM
as always i share your sentiments

DutchieGirl
Dec 30th, 2002, 10:58 AM
I just wanna wait and see what happens in the next couple of months before I get concerned (plus I wanna wait till I talked to her in Melb to see her attitude) ;).

vogus
Dec 30th, 2002, 02:48 PM
with Patty it's impossible to predict how outside events might affect her play - who knows she might even play better. I agree with S-Lover that this seems a whole lot like the "first Rainer" thing only it's a lot more serious now, because we're talking about a long entangled relationship and engagement here - the first one was kind of a flash-in-the-pan freaky thing.

Inkyfan - you say that she loves him, right. But by all accounts the guy is a nasty, greedy, ugly, and immoral individual. Could it be that she's attracted to him because he's so disgusting? And if so, could that be an underlying sign of despising men and ultimately of being a lesbian? I mean, if she's attracted to this kind of man when she really could chose just about any man she wants, it has to say something about her as a person, about her orientation or her self-esteem. I hope this isn't an offensive statement.

Tennisfan-Mtl
Dec 30th, 2002, 05:52 PM
I don't think Rainer is ugly....;)

Hawk
Dec 30th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Oh boy..Patty sure knows how to pick 'em...

schnyder lover
Dec 30th, 2002, 09:21 PM
vogus is in trouble. i really hope that inky decides not to come back into this thread, because you are about to become a major target! i agree with most of your thoughts except for how her selection of men is indicative of her underlying lesbianism. i think that is pushing it quite a long way. she just obviously has a taste for older and troublesome men. who knows though, she dated harnecker (spelling?) who was like 60, then hoffman was was 40 or so, so maybe if it does end she will go back to a 20 something guy (hopefully a guy. just kidding)

DutchieGirl
Dec 30th, 2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by vogus
with Patty it's impossible to predict how outside events might affect her play - who knows she might even play better. I agree with S-Lover that this seems a whole lot like the "first Rainer" thing only it's a lot more serious now, because we're talking about a long entangled relationship and engagement here - the first one was kind of a flash-in-the-pan freaky thing.

Inkyfan - you say that she loves him, right. But by all accounts the guy is a nasty, greedy, ugly, and immoral individual. Could it be that she's attracted to him because he's so disgusting? And if so, could that be an underlying sign of despising men and ultimately of being a lesbian? I mean, if she's attracted to this kind of man when she really could chose just about any man she wants, it has to say something about her as a person, about her orientation or her self-esteem. I hope this isn't an offensive statement.

Wait a sec "nasty, greedy, ugly"...have you met the guy? lol I don't like him that much, but that's pretty harsh. I agree with the immoral bit coz I mean stealing money is of course immoral. But I have met Hoffmann, and he seems alright. He's not nasty to Patty, and it looks like they do love each other (unless he is very good at acting - which I guess could be true). Yes, she could choose a better man, but some people like these types of men... I mean what about girls who think the really rough bikies are cool? It might say something about her self-esteem... like she wants a father figure in her life or something, because she doesn't get on with her family, but, if she liked women, she wouldn't keep on going out with loser guys to hide it! I mean most lesbians that I know don't actually despise guys in the first place, so that's a fallacy. And they certainly wouldn't go out with someone so "nasty, greedy, etc" as Rainer because they don't want to go out with guys, let alone sleep with them! So I think the lesbian point is moot, and not accurate and why can't people just drop it? Because sorry, but I do think discussing players sexuality is none of our business unless they are out. I always hate it when people make threads like "I wonder if he/she is gay". I just don't see the point.

And why the hell is it worrying that she could be a lesbian anyway? Because that's the way it sounds in your post too - that you are worried she might be a lesbian!

DutchieGirl
Dec 30th, 2002, 10:24 PM
vogus is in trouble. i really hope that inky decides not to come back into this thread, because you are about to become a major target! i agree with most of your thoughts except for how her selection of men is indicative of her underlying lesbianism. i think that is pushing it quite a long way. she just obviously has a taste for older and troublesome men. who knows though, she dated harnecker (spelling?) who was like 60, then hoffman was was 40 or so, so maybe if it does end she will go back to a 20 something guy (hopefully a guy. just kidding)

Too late! lol But hey, at least even you can see that her selection of men has nothing to do with her supposedly being a lesbian! ;) btw... she is still dating Hoffmann...;) (everyone keeps saying "was dating Hoffmann"...should be "IS"! ;)

vogus
Dec 31st, 2002, 02:49 AM
i'm not going to argue with you on any of those points except the first one - you said you agree that Hoffman is immoral, but it almost sounds like you think being immoral is a tolerable flaw in a man. To me, stealing and dishonesty is about the worst vice a person can be guilty of, and it makes him (or her) a highly undesirable choice for a mate. Other than that i admit that you're right that we don't need to be talking about whether anyone might be a lesbian or not. I don't know how it all got started but sorry if i was fanning the flames...

vogus
Dec 31st, 2002, 03:42 AM
Anyway she won her match against Schiavone, that's the main thing, so everything's going to be OK... :-)

DutchieGirl
Jan 1st, 2003, 01:59 AM
I don't think being immoral is OK... of course I said in my post stealing is not good! But Patty loves him, and there haven't been any reports that they have broken up yet. When I said "he seems alright" I meant he seemes alright in the way he acts with Patty.

But at least she's still winning, so there's a good sign! :D