PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Books.... your favs ?????

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 25th, 2002, 05:52 PM
whats your current tennis bookshelf looking like ??

in 2002 i got 6 books :angel: :)
only had to pay for 4 of them ;)

Sanex WTA 2002 Rulebook (not available in shops)
WTA Player Guide
ATP Player Guide
The Book of Tennis ( www.thebookoftennis.com )
ITF Yearbook 2001
Official Wimbledon 2002 Annual

got to say the bookof tennis is a pretty good read although there's quite a few errors regarding the womens game.
Chris Bowers book is very good still :) but he's more clued up about the mens game.

I still got my old World of Tennis annuals which are no longer in publication :sad: replaced by the ITF Yearbook which isn't a patch on John Barrett's publication.

irma
Dec 25th, 2002, 05:54 PM
I have a book the pictorial history of tennis. it's already 13 years old but it has great pics:D

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 25th, 2002, 06:00 PM
I don't tend to buy biographies, not my style and i'm not gonna give my money to those i don't like (e.g. Cash, McEnroe, Gilbert) , plus i know what goes on in the tour.

way
Dec 25th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Thirty volumes, mainly Almanacs and Yearbooks.
Bud Collins's Encyclopaedia is the one i cherish the most.

Nina_rus
Dec 25th, 2002, 06:26 PM
My fave is From Fear to Victory obviously (I have it in a few different covers :p )

I do have a lot of books about tennis. I probably have all the Russian books that were published (except the tennis lessons for beginners) more or less recently including the biographies of Kafelnikov, Tarpishev, Morozova, I also have an encyclopedia of Russian tennis, the History of Lawn tennis in Russia and many others that are not as interesting.

I have McEnroe's biography but I haven't read it yet, another recent book in English I have is "Tennis's strangest matches" which is pretty good. Out of the not so recent ones I have a book with tennis stories and poems, a few encyclopedias, tour guides, a couple biographies and even a tennis alphabet book :)

Jericho
Dec 25th, 2002, 09:51 PM
i liked "Venus Envy" the best...

irma
Dec 25th, 2002, 09:59 PM
from biographies. I liked steffi superstar (with quotes) and steffi from 87 the most.

tia clara
Dec 25th, 2002, 10:20 PM
TBE, have you read John Feinstein's book, Hard Courts? It was publised quite a while ago, 1992, I think, but it is IMO one of the best Books about tennis and the tour, both mens and womens. I also like Bud Collins' book, My Life with The Pros, also a much older book. Great for tennis history buffs. I think his Encyclopedia Of Tennis is invaluable to the real fan.
I do like bios, and have most of them. Also have the two mysteries written by Navratilova (with credited help - can't think of her name now) which are set in the tennis world. We also have Rita Mae Brown's novel written after her affair with Martina, also set in the tennis world and too funny and bitchy for words.

I'm too pissed at MacEnroe to buy his book but if the library gets it, I'll check it out and read it.

Ryan
Dec 25th, 2002, 10:24 PM
I got Venus Envy for Christmas this morning and it's fantastic so far. Wetheim is an excellent writer, and there's an even mix of gossip, facts and sotryline. :D

Andre@
Dec 25th, 2002, 10:27 PM
I like the instrutional

Play to win the Czech way

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 25th, 2002, 10:32 PM
read Wertheim's book and nothing too much i already didn't know about was in there, no shocking revelations.
Still it passes the time.

Not seen John Feinstein's book this side of the pond, not sure if its still in print. (but it sounds like an earlier version of Wertheim's

Got a fair share of Russian books but you wouldnt know about those ;) similar to Nina's.

anyone else read the book of tennis ?
you can check about it from the website i put above.

Ryan
Dec 25th, 2002, 10:34 PM
read Wertheim's book and nothing too much i already didn't know about was in there, no shocking revelations.

I still find most of the altercations between players funny to read. :p;)

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 25th, 2002, 10:36 PM
pretty funny for you maybe, but most of what he's written is all 2nd hand stuff exaggerated.

GoDominique
Dec 25th, 2002, 11:21 PM
I have got:

'Boris' by Günther Bosch. :o (it appeared when they were just splitting)
2 books about 1987 (not really sure why, I bought them many years later and they were very cheap ;)).
'Sternstunden des Tennis' by Ulrich Kaiser. (great matches starting from 1877, a good read)
A book about Wimbledon 1989.
The official Wimbledon books, starting from 1991. (one year is missing because none was published :rolleyes:- I think it's 1999)
'Winning ugly' by Brad Gilbert. (I like it - his advices aren't always that great but his on-court stories are fun to read)

Maybe one or two more, can't check right now. :o

Sam L
Dec 25th, 2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by GoDominique
'Sternstunden des Tennis' by Ulrich Kaiser. (great matches starting from 1877, a good read)

Which matches does it have? 20's, 30's?

GoDominique
Dec 25th, 2002, 11:25 PM
I once posted a list of the matches included in that book, I will search for that post.

GoDominique
Dec 25th, 2002, 11:27 PM
Here are they:

1877 Gore vs. Marshall (1st Wimbledon final)
1887 Dod vs. Hillyard (youngest female champ in Wimbledon ever)
1900 Davis-Cup USA vs. UK (first Davis-Cup)
1914 Brookes vs. Froitzheim (Wimbledon)
1919 Lambert-Chambers vs. Lenglen (amazing Wimbledon final between a 41- and a 20-years-old)
1926 Lenglen vs. Wills (in Cannes; amazing fuss about that match, the crowd went mad)
1927 Cochet-Tilden (Wimbledon; comeback from 2-6 4-6 1-5)
1927 Davis-Cup USA vs. France (France wins 3-2)
1931 Aussem vs. Krahwinkel (German Wimbledon final)
1933 Crawford vs. Vines (exciting Wimbledon final and almost a Grand Slam)
1935 Wills vs. Jacobs (great Wimbledon final)
1937 Davis-Cup USA vs. Germany
1938 Grand Slam Donald Budge
1939 Riggs at Wimbledon (champion in all 3 competitions and a huge bet-win)
1953 Drobny vs. Patty (great marathon at Wimbledon)
1953 Conolly vs. Hart (Wimbledon final and first women's Grand Slam win)
1956 Gibson (first successful black player)
1963 Bungert vs. Emerson (biggest win for a German player at Wimbledon before Becker)
1968 Ashe vs. Okker (begin of the Open Era)
1969 Gonzales vs. Pasarell (longest match ever in Wimbledon)
1969 Laver vs. Roche (2nd Grand Slam for Laver)
1970 Court vs. King (longest Wimbledon final)
1970 Women organise an independent tour
1973 Wimbledon-boycott
1977 Borg vs. Gerulaitis (Wimbledon)
1984 Lendl vs. McEnroe (FO 1984)
1985 Becker vs. Curren (youngest champ at Wimbledon)
1987 Becker vs. McEnroe at Davis-Cup (longest match ever)
1987 Fed-Cup Germany vs. USA ( Germany wins with amazing comeback)
1987 Graf vs. Evert (Steffi becomes no. 1)
1988 Graf vs. Sabatini (Golden Slam)
1988 Davis-Cup Germany vs. Sweden (first German win)
1990 Navratilova vs. Garrison (9th Wimbledon triumph)
1991 Becker vs. Lendl (Becker becomes no. 1)
1991 Stich vs. Becker (first German Wimbledon final)

Sam L
Dec 25th, 2002, 11:28 PM
Oh great thanks :) I didn't see that one obviously ;)

I have read about most of those matches from the 20's & 30's, does it have a lot of photos too?

GoDominique
Dec 25th, 2002, 11:31 PM
That post was from February 16th. ;)

GoDominique
Dec 25th, 2002, 11:33 PM
Yes, it has quite a lot of photos. If I had a scanner I would post them. :rolleyes: :sad:

Sam L
Dec 25th, 2002, 11:40 PM
Oh that's alright I understand, I don't have a scanner either :) Yes now that I think of it, I think I did see that list before. Who knows LOL

GoDominique
Dec 25th, 2002, 11:44 PM
BTW, it's not just match reports. There's also background information about the players, the era etc. Many of that you will find in the 'Blast from the Past', as you might know. ;)

auntie janie
Dec 26th, 2002, 01:09 AM
Good topic!

Days of Grace by Arthur Ashe has the most honored place of the tennis books on my shelf.

Meesh
Dec 26th, 2002, 01:34 AM
Venus Envy... like others said, good read nothing that we hadn't seen in his articles all year long.

Ladies of the Court...excellent

Passing Shots... Pam's 84-85 season. Fun read!

Tennis For Dummies... Fun way to learn the rules.

Next purchase will probably be a players guide, yearbook or Tennis Encylopedia by Bud..

Brian Stewart
Dec 26th, 2002, 05:14 AM
I've got a slew of books, mostly through local book sales.

Among my favorites are any books where I can pick up interesting bits of information. The WTA Player Guides (have a dozen of them), Maurice Brady's Tennis Encyclopaedia, (haven't gotten Bud's yet), "Famous Women Tennis Players" by Trent Frayne, Bud Collins' "My Life with the Pros", Pam Shriver's "Passing Shots", Martina Navratilova's biography.

I have Martina's first 2 mysteries (with Liz Nickles), and one of Nastase's (which could have used tighter editing). Anyone have a copy of Mark Stewart's Grollier book about Chanda?

Anyone with Annuals/Yearbooks etc., if you'd like to share any Grand Slam results with us (in the forum of at same name), they'd be greatly appreciated. Check the appropriate thread first so you don't type up something we already have. (That's a lot of time for you to waste.) We're interested in women's singles, doubles, qualifying, and junior girls singles and doubles. </solicitation>

We now return you to the regular thread. :)

Candy946
Dec 26th, 2002, 07:46 AM
I only have 1 tennis book and it's all about the U.S. Open. It's rare to find books or anything related to tennis in book stores and sporting goods stores.

:rolleyes:

Experimentee
Dec 26th, 2002, 12:07 PM
I dont have any tennis books but i like to read autobiographies. I think they give great insight into the characters of the writers, as opposed to someone just sitting there writing what they think about players. Can someone recommend a good tennis autobiography?

auntie janie
Dec 26th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Experimentee,

Days of Grace by Arthur Ashe

Forehand Drive by Maureen Connolly

Martina Navratilova's, Zina Garrison's books (forgot the titles!)

Passing Shots by Pam Shriver

John McEnroe's is interesting

Experimentee
Dec 26th, 2002, 12:59 PM
janie: thanks for that. i'll be sure to look those up sometime :)

Come-on-kim
Dec 26th, 2002, 01:19 PM
I've got Nathalie Tauziat's book : "Les dessous du tennis féminin"

It's a fantastic book!! I love it!! Generaly I read a book once, but here I've already read it three times!!!

I've got also a Belgian book : "2001, the Belgian Womens Tennis Year"

And another "L'épopée du tennis belge" It's the history of all the old belgians tennis players to Kim, Justine, Xavier,...

anton
Dec 26th, 2002, 01:20 PM
monica's ffrom fear to victory was a good read with good pics too

auntie janie
Dec 26th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Oh yeah, I like that one by Monica too! I am trying to read Nathalie's too, but it is slow going since my French is not up to the task! :(

In most cases, I find tennis autobiographies fun to read but not necessarily books I want to own. Luckily, I found John McEnroes's book in the library. Other times, I borrow a copy, or buy a cheap used copy online then give it away after reading it.

JonBcn
Dec 26th, 2002, 03:05 PM
I used to love the way the World of Tennis books lined up on your shelf...you always knew what you were getting, and it was always a mine of information - the perfect tennis book - R.I.P.

Got loads of bios. I dont normally buy them, but you can always rely on them for Christmas prsents. the Arthur Ash one is an inspiring read. modern ones are crap - the Graf and seles bios are terribly written. Books like Venus Envy are good to pass the time, but hardly ground breaking.

I think my all time favourite tennis book was Ladies of the Court, as it came out around the time I was REALLY into tennis for the first time, 1992. It was a rivetting read - he should do a sequel.

irma
Dec 26th, 2002, 03:09 PM
steffi never wrote a book herself

JonBcn
Dec 26th, 2002, 03:18 PM
I know - Id've said 'autobiography' if she had ;) Its still a badly written bio though - 'Public power Private Pain' or something cheesy like that...all based on supposition and second hand sources.

Pamela Shriver
Dec 26th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Passing Shots!!! I mean, just look at the pics of me -worth the money on its own. I'm a literary genius

Come-on-kim
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:04 AM
I've ordered "Winning ugly" from Brad Gilbert, can someone tell me if it's good?

irma
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by JonBcn
I know - Id've said 'autobiography' if she had ;) Its still a badly written bio though - 'Public power Private Pain' or something cheesy like that...all based on supposition and second hand sources.

steffi refused to sign it when people wanted a autograph on it!

the source was the bild;)