PDA

View Full Version : Martina and Sveta to play doubles in GC

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 24th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Russian hotshot heads for coast

One of the hottest young stars in tennis, Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova, will make her Gold Coast debut at the Uncle Tobys Hardcourts at Royal Pines Resort from December 28 to January 4.

Following her success in 2001 as the world No.1 junior, this 17-year-old Russian sensation made 2002 a dream debut year, improving her ranking more than 200 places to be currently positioned at No. 43 in the world.

After winning WTA Tour events in Bali and Helsinki, as well as securing three WTA doubles titles, Kuznetsova has given notice that she is set for further success in the future. She has been given a wildcard into the Uncle Tobys Hardcourts singles and Smylie predicts that the top seeds will be hoping to avoid her in the early rounds.

In another bonus for the event, Kuznetsova will partner Martina Navratilova in the doubles event. "I have spoken with Martina and she is very excited about playing doubles with Svetlana," Smylie said. "I am sure they will make a formidable team and Martina is predicting they will be playing on finals day."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck girls :)
a very interesting duo :)
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

TatiAnnahølic
Dec 24th, 2002, 04:23 PM
:eek:

england_rules
Dec 24th, 2002, 04:25 PM

raquel
Dec 24th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Good luck Sveta!:bounce:

BK4ever
Dec 24th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Great for Sveta...but why did she need a WC for singles. She could have gotten in on her own ranking.

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 24th, 2002, 05:12 PM
she didn't enter at 1st but when she and Martina were gonna be doubles partners they gave her a WC into singles too.

She's not the 1st player ever not to enter then to get a WC.

Elleke
Dec 24th, 2002, 05:13 PM
good luck

BK4ever
Dec 24th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Eggy...don't get testy :D it was just a question. I thought maybe it was a mix-up like Tammy's. Even though in principle, I don't like when people take a WC when they could have entered on their own, but I like Sveta so I won't be mad.

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 24th, 2002, 05:32 PM
ok no probs :)
its no mix-up :)

Martian KC
Dec 24th, 2002, 05:53 PM
OMG! Martina must definitely see the talent!;)

tenn_ace
Dec 24th, 2002, 06:45 PM
wow ...

happy for Sveta... I hope she'll learn a lot and will be like a spounge... (I'm sure she'll have fun with Martina, it's impossible not to)

SM
Dec 24th, 2002, 09:19 PM
thats good...i get to see both sveta :):) and martina :):) both n finslas day!!!! i got to see sveta play at aus open and boy does she SMACK it

Zummi
Dec 25th, 2002, 02:08 AM
Such good news!

After Arantxa stole Hantuchova last year, this is payback time for Martina :) Just kidding! I'm sure Arantxa herself or Emilio, both friends of Martina's, might have had something to do with pairing them up.

ttaM
Dec 25th, 2002, 02:54 AM
:)

Good luck, ladies!

Mattographer
Dec 25th, 2002, 07:05 AM
WOW!! :eek: So, they're team up for the Australian Open as well?

fhkung
Dec 25th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by TheBoiledEgg
she didn't enter at 1st but when she and Martina were gonna be doubles partners they gave her a WC into singles too.

She's not the 1st player ever not to enter then to get a WC.
so that's why she didnt sign up, thx TBE:)
coz i agree with BK4ever, WC should be given to as a chance
for someone else to make a name or something....

Aloysius
Dec 25th, 2002, 02:01 PM
There's a small network going on here: Svetlana Kuznetsova --> coached by --> Emilio Sanchez --> brother of --> Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario --> former doubles partner of --> Martina Navratilova.

;)

TartarVicario
Dec 25th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Good Luck Kuznetsova :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: