PDA

View Full Version : After Monica's stabbing.. how did Maggi Maleeva react?

tyk101
Dec 24th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Just wondered how Maggie react to the stabbing?? any interviews??? did she finish the tourney??

Glenn
Dec 24th, 2002, 04:01 PM
I don't know how she reacted, but she did play another match after the incident... see this:

Hamburg, Germany
April 26, 1993
Surface: Clay
Round Opponent W/L Score
R32 Christina Singer (GER) W 6-4 7-5
R16 Wiltrud Probst (GER) W 6-1 7-6(1)
QF Monica Seles (USA) W 4-6 3-4 ret
SF Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario (ESP) L 2-6 6-7(4)

Gandalf
Dec 24th, 2002, 04:07 PM
I read an interview where she said that she was shocked and didn't know what to do, and that she regretted not having done anything. In the images I saw she didn't appear, so I guess (?) that she didn't even approach Monica. But maybe someone can confirm this.

tyk101
Dec 24th, 2002, 04:08 PM
i dunno.. would u have played another match>?

Glenn
Dec 24th, 2002, 04:08 PM
What images?
Does anyone have a link?

Gandalf
Dec 24th, 2002, 04:17 PM
No, but I remember watching it on the news at the time.

treufreund
Dec 24th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Maggie lost her next match though. I wonder if mentally she just could not concentrate. I am sure it was not exactly easy on Maggie.

Come-on-kim
Dec 24th, 2002, 04:26 PM
I think, if I was the tournament director, I would have canceled the tournament!!!

Or if I was a player I would have refused to play!!

Glenn
Dec 24th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Steffi was so shocked at that time too, it was very obvious in her next match.
And in the final, she was so bad also, she lost 3-6 3-6 to Sanchez-Vicario, the only player who was able to just carry on.

irma
Dec 24th, 2002, 04:36 PM
she must have been in shock. I had probably run from the court scared to be attacked too

that would only have been a human reaction!

(this is not about the playing the next day only about fridayevening)

anton
Dec 24th, 2002, 04:38 PM
didnt steffi play jana notvnta in the semis?

anton
Dec 24th, 2002, 04:40 PM
steffi went to visit monica in the hospital. it(steffi walking into the hospital) was on tv.

irma
Dec 24th, 2002, 04:41 PM
sometimes I wonder what they would have done if monica had played earlier in the day? had they continued then so easy too?

15 minutes after it happened with blood maybe still lying on the court? :o

anton
Dec 24th, 2002, 04:44 PM
i remember monica talking something in her mouth. maybe this is a pain pill they gave her to chew to supress the pain?

monica was thin back then. hopefully she will lose some weight for this new year

Glenn
Dec 24th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Final
Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario (ESP) [3] def. Steffi Graf (GER) [2] 6-3 6-3

Semifinals
Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario (ESP) [3] def. Magdalena Maleeva (BUL) [7] 6-2 7-6(4)
Steffi Graf (GER) [2] def. Jana Novotna (CZE) [4] 6-3 3-6 6-1

Quarterfinals
Magdalena Maleeva (BUL) [7] def. Monica Seles (USA) [1] 4-6 3-4 ret
Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario (ESP) [3] def. Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere (SUI) [5] 7-5 6-1
Jana Novotna (CZE) [4] def. Anke Huber (GER) [6] 6-1 6-3
Steffi Graf (GER) [2] def. Katerina Maleeva (BUL) [8] 6-3 6-1

ttaM
Dec 24th, 2002, 05:20 PM
I taped the ESPN Classic special about the stabbing, and they talked to Maggie about it. Maggie stated she thought someone had hit Monica, she didn't know she got stabbed at first. They then show a picture of Maggie with her towel over her mouth, looking like she was crying. I also remember hearing from Maggie that she did regret no doing anything at first, it was probably due to the confusion of what happened. But she said she went to one side of the stadium and just stayed there until the ambulance came to take Monica to the hospital.

treufreund
Dec 24th, 2002, 05:31 PM
I am sure Maggie was probably scared and confused. Good that Monica is back and that Maggie is too. An experience like that could have taken them both out. :sad:

oggie
Dec 24th, 2002, 05:46 PM
I wonder if either finalist mentioned anything about the stabbing in their interview after trophy presentation? Does anybody know?

King Lindsay
Dec 24th, 2002, 05:55 PM
I recall Maggie kneeling on the other side of the court, water bottle in hand. And yeah, she said she wanted to do something but couldn't figure out what she could do. And really, what could she have done?

selesrules
Dec 24th, 2002, 06:00 PM
From the footage I saw, Maggie was sitting down in shock with her hands over her mouth. There were many people around Monica who was on the floor crying like security men & some other people, so it's understandable that Maggie didn't also go there because these people are trying to handle the situation and the man was still kind of on the loose. She just sat there with her hands over her mouth shocked. But to this day I don't understand how the tournament just went on as nothing happened, I guess money is the most important thing in this world. :rolleyes:

Jakeev
Dec 24th, 2002, 06:02 PM
I definitely thought Maggie looked shell-shocked. In fact, I don't think Maggie even wanted to continue on in the tournament and that probably left her very distracted when she lost the next round.

But I do agree, that event should have been cancelled.

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 06:19 PM
This whole story shows you how inhuman the tour was then( still is??!!) I mean how could they CONTINUE with the evenement minutes after the world no.1 or any player for that matter has been STABBED?! Unbelievable!!! If I was Monica I would have never forgiven the WTA for this!!

matthias
Dec 24th, 2002, 07:02 PM
@nuriboy

yes, you are right.
normally the tournament should have been stopped from the WTA

irma
Dec 24th, 2002, 07:08 PM
I think they didn't take it serious (you could see that in different comments that time)

it's sick that ,like monica said, they treated it like a sprained ankle
but I guess that's how the world reacts (not only the wta. the olympics in 72 and 96 were not canceled either afterall)

tonykwok19832002
Dec 24th, 2002, 07:19 PM
I remember that an ice skater got stabbed as well?? i'm not sure if it ws referring to monica back then because she used to be an avid skater. it was pretty big news back then..i was very young so can't remember the details

tonykwok19832002
Dec 24th, 2002, 07:22 PM
thats so bad.. society has moved on since then... I wish Monica the best of luck and has a great Xmas and a veryvery properous new yr!

JonBcn
Dec 24th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Glenn
Sanchez-Vicario, the only player who was able to just carry on.

Thats a bit callous. I doubt if she was clicking her heels all the way to the bank.

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Ok Irma......but this is a individual sport and when something like a stabbing happens to one of your players you have to support her!! But the players are to blame also.....ah, it´s just Monica, it isn´t one of us so why stop?!! Damn man..just sick!!

ASV
Dec 24th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by tonykwok19832002
I remember that an ice skater got stabbed as well?? i'm not sure if it ws referring to monica back then because she used to be an avid skater. it was pretty big news back then..i was very young so can't remember the details

are you talking about Nancy Kerrigan?

ASV
Dec 24th, 2002, 07:34 PM
it wasn't just that, but when Monica came back they refused to give her the #1 as well.

I don't think it was the WTA's fault. They had never dealt with something of this magnitude, and didn't know what to do.

tonykwok19832002
Dec 24th, 2002, 07:40 PM
was MOnica's stabiing big new worldwide?

Venus Forever
Dec 24th, 2002, 07:43 PM
I don't think Nancy Kerrigan got stabbed, didn't Tonya Harding take a crow bar into her knee though??

As for Monica, that will never be a day she forgets. And I agree with all of you, the event should have definitely been cancelled.

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 07:50 PM
That hasn´t got anything to do with it!! It´s just that Monica wasn´t american! If she was an american she would have gotten all sorts of excemption!! Look at Lindsay & Hingis. Lindsay got her ranking protected and Hingis can´t get a protection!! The Wta is just plain rascist!!

Lord Chips
Dec 24th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Tonya Harding's boyfriend clubbed Kerrigan's knees.

As sick as this sounds, the event would never have been cancelled by the tournament director as the WTA's contract with TV companies and the tour sponsors insist on X amount of days worth of Tennis. If two had been cancelled the tournament would have been axed. This is the same reason the San Marino Grand Prix wasn't cancelled after Ayrton Senna's crash.

There is even a limit on the time that elapses between after the final/end of a Grand Prix and the presentation ceremony

irma
Dec 24th, 2002, 07:53 PM
nuriboy who said martina doesn't get a protection. she was not out for 6 months yet

other then that I agree with the wta being a racist

marsha
Dec 24th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by tonykwok19832002
was MOnica's stabiing big new worldwide?

HUGE news worldwide! I remember US tv broke into a program to announce it -- it was so shocking and horrible.

And btw, I also saw clips of Maggie's reaction -- she did remain in her chair, looking shell-shocked, and IIRC she also started crying when she realized (or someone told her) what had happened.

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 08:12 PM
The limit is 6 months?! Didn´t know that.....but thx, Irma!

Messenger
Dec 24th, 2002, 08:15 PM
I would imagine that Novotna, Graf, Sanchez and Maleeva were all pressured by the tournament directors to continue playing.

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Yeah....I guess that they were pressured, but I think they all played on because they all knew that it was Monica that the fan targeted! Cowards, hyprocits!!

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 08:19 PM
And afterwards Steffi goes the hospital?! To do what?! Don´t need any of your help!!!

irma
Dec 24th, 2002, 08:25 PM
they all returned again to the tournament a year later. if they were pressured and hated it then they had never played there again imho

Messenger
Dec 24th, 2002, 08:32 PM
How does the fact that they all returned show that they weren't pressured? I didn't say that they hated the tournament, the tournament did not do this to Monica (although they could have prevented it).

Like nuriboy said, visiting Monica in hospital doesn't help her - and neither would withdrawing from the tournament. A little insensitive perhaps, but Monica's injuries would have been healed for some time the year later.

irma
Dec 24th, 2002, 08:41 PM
If they didn't want to play and they were pressured with sanctions and so (I make it extreme) by the tournamentdirectors would they have returned again then? I doubt that. if a tournament would not understood that I can't play on a court where somebody just got stabbed the day before and they don't respect that, then I don't think I would wanna play that tournament anymore!

anton
Dec 24th, 2002, 09:23 PM
Monica was on the cover of Sports Illustrated right after the attack . It was a face shot with her face like she is in shock.

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 10:09 PM
Damn man!! To put someone´s face of pain on the cover of a magazine??!! Just sick man!!

About the tournament...they came back the next year. This shows you that they weren´t forced and that they simply lacked any sense of camaredy to Monica!! They just dropped her like she was nobody!!

DiNaPic
Dec 24th, 2002, 11:10 PM
As a press photographer, I have been an eye witness at the match, when Monica was stabbed.

The original question of this thread was: how did Maggie react. It just happened that I was sitting very next to Maggie’s mother and to Pavel Slozil, Maggie’s then coach, at the right base line. As a press photographer, I had approached Maggie some weeks before, for an off court photo shooting for a magazine. I did not intend to take any photos, therefore I was sitting in the audience, instead of using the photographers’ benches at court side (bad decision, I could have taken the pic of the century).

Before the match, Pavel Slozil mentioned to me, it was quite clear to him, and to Maggie as well, that she had no chance to win over Monica. He said, we simply want to see, how far Maggie is (i.e. what she is able to achieve at this time against an opponent like Monica).
Maggie was fighting for every single point, running over the court like hell, but soon it was clear she had no chance to win. When Maggie needed a break for breathing, she came along the base line, where Pavel was sitting, and he whispered “Come on, Maggie, we can wait!”

During the ralley, I realized a man walking down the stairs, with a plastic bag in his hands. He was almost falling down the stairs, walking like a drunken man, but then sat down in the first row, next to a security man. I did not pay any further attention to him, but watched the match going on.

When changing ends, sitting on the benches, I viewed around, so I did not really see, what happened, but just heard a deep noise, and the crowd was screaming. Immediately, two security people fixed a man with a bloody knife in his hands, and Monica stood up from her bench, walking some steps to the middle of the court.
Maggie was still sitting at her bench, just looking around, but not realizing, what was going on.

Maggie’s mother stood up and cried something in Bulgarian, like “Maggie, Maggie, get away from there!!!” and waved her arms. Maggie got up and went to the middle of the court.

More security men and some officials arrived on court, and you know the rest from T.V. Monica was taken from court and brought to hospital.

The crowd was totally confused. Nothing like this had ever happened before. The majority was sitting down, discussing with their neighbours.

The stadium speaker announced, Monica was on her way to hospital, but first checks had shown that the injury was not as deep as it might have been looking with all that blood running down her back. The speaker said, there would not be any more matches that day, so we could leave for home, and learn further news from the media.
One guy called out: “we stay!!!” --- and everybody, I say: everybody sat down again, waiting for further news. May be about half an hour later, the speaker announced good news, the injury was not as hard etc. etc. and only now, the majority of the audience left for home, still discussing, of course.

Next morning, I arrived on the grounds very early, in order to watch Steffi’s practice, but she was very late that day. She always used to start practice at 08.00 a.m., but this day, she arrived only at about noon, and we learned later that she had visited Monica in hospital.

Messenger
Dec 24th, 2002, 11:27 PM
The fact that the players returned to Hamburg the next year doesn't prove anything. It was not an unreasonable request by the tournament that the four remaining players continue, although I can understand why people would be unhappy that the tournament did continue. Obviously the players would have been intelligent and reasonable enough to understand that, so I don't think that any of them would have held any lasting angst about the tournament. So I think that it is possible that the tournament pressured the players to continue (and they weren't that unwilling to do so).

Thanks for the recount dnadd. Interestingly enough, the next time Magdalena played Monica she said she had forgotten about the incident. Maybe she had been affected too, and had tried to block it from her mind.

ColinB
Dec 25th, 2002, 01:17 AM
Hi guys - you cannot slag off Maggie, Arantxa, Jana and Steffi for continuing as we (none of us) know the whole story - they could have said they were not continuing, but were forced into it - I;m sure none of the 4 will ever want to talk about what went on there...

But as with all attacks and terrorist attacks etc - if u stop doing things normally, you let these 'idiots' win - hence the tournament went on... At the time, as an 18 year old, I remember being shocked that it did go on, but we all thought then that Monica would only be out for a few weeks and would be back by the French Open....

Also, Maggie was only a kid then too - she was just turning 18 that month, so you can't expect totally rational reactions from her at the time, as like most people she didn't really know what was going on...

I don't think it is fair to slag any of the 4 players off who were left... They just carried on with their jobs, the same as you or I would if something had happened to one of our work colleagues... Life goes on...

We are all just thankfull that Monica came back and I hope she has a great year in 2003!

nuriboy
Dec 25th, 2002, 01:20 AM
I can agree with that Colin! Nice point nice point!! I´m only mad at that madman!! He altered the whole history of tennis and robbed tennisfans of one of the greatest( if not the greatest) rivalries of all-time!!

auntie janie
Dec 25th, 2002, 01:31 AM
dnadd, thank you for your report.

All I can say is, if Michael Jordan was stabbed while sitting on the bench during a timeout, the NBA would have done everything in its power to help him and to prosecute the attacker. They would then have done everything posible to make MJ feel safe again and encouraged him to get any help needed so he could return to action.

It is hard to understand or forgive the WTA for its indifference to this horrible attack on its #1 player at one of its tournaments, where, obviously, security was lacking.

nuriboy
Dec 25th, 2002, 01:39 AM
That is my point too Janie!! Never mind that they didn´t stop the tournament or anything....the WTA must have made sure that this guy gets live sentence!! If the Germans won´t give him, then go to International courts or something!! Act like you cared just a little bit for your no. 1 player!! The acts of the WTA were and remain unforgivable!! Which ever way you turn it their acts were unacceptable!!

auntie janie
Dec 25th, 2002, 01:53 AM
I know. And Monica is well aware of it, too. They did not take care at all of their own star. :(

I hope the current WTA leadership also knows it and regrets it. I hope they would act dirreently if such a tragedy were to occur again.

Messenger
Dec 25th, 2002, 02:43 AM
Could they really have done that much more? It was in the hands of the German justice department. While I don't agree that a life sentence was appropriate, he should not have been allowed to walk free. He should have at least spent some years in a mental institution.

Mattographer
Dec 25th, 2002, 08:47 AM
I ask a question... after that day, how many people came and watch the semis matches? A few people?

TS
Dec 25th, 2002, 01:00 PM
I've seen footage of the doubles final trophy presentation (a friend of mine had a copy on tape) and I must admit I was rather bemused when one of the players (I think it was either Stubbs or Novotna...pretty sure it was Stubbs) started off by saying "well its been a great week..."

Wrong choice of words would be understatement of the year...:rolleyes:

I am not slaggin off the player that said that, Im sure she felt bad about what happened to Monica, but it just was quite shocking to hear it in that context I suppose.

Messenger
Dec 28th, 2002, 09:26 PM
She probably was being sarcastic right? I can imagine Stubbs saying that. We have to understand that at the time they only thought Monica would be out for a couple of weeks. It was horrible, but they didn't think it would affect her career so badly as it did.

TS
Dec 28th, 2002, 09:58 PM
CM, no it wasnt sarcasm.

Anyway, Im not slamming Rennae...as I said Im sure she was disgusted and shocked at the events of that week. The comment just seemed a little 'misplaced' if you know what I mean.

selesrules
Dec 28th, 2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by janie
dnadd, thank you for your report.

All I can say is, if Michael Jordan was stabbed while sitting on the bench during a timeout, the NBA would have done everything in its power to help him and to prosecute the attacker. They would then have done everything posible to make MJ feel safe again and encouraged him to get any help needed so he could return to action.

It is hard to understand or forgive the WTA for its indifference to this horrible attack on its #1 player at one of its tournaments, where, obviously, security was lacking.

Great post. The WTA handled the stabbing very poorly, they should have stood up for Monica, did something for her, tried to help her, anything! Jeez.

DiNaPic
Dec 30th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by selesrules
The WTA handled the stabbing very poorly, they should have stood up for Monica, did something for her, tried to help her, anything! Jeez.

how come you say between the lines that WTA did not do enough for Monica? Monica had a special injury ranking for much longer time than WTA rules said before the attack, and there were lots of new regulations, especially made due to the incident.
For example, even today she is not blamed for not playing in Germany. I mean, I totally understand that she doesn’t want to return to Hamburg, but why is she not blamed for not playing the Championships in Munich last year? What does this event have to do with the attack in Hamburg? Just because it is in Germany? Her behaviour declares every tennis spectator in Germany to be a potential killer that she must be afraid of.

prosecution of the attacker is not the business of the WTA. They may publish their opinion, but prosecution is made by a court. and as in this case the court believed the attacker that he did not intend to kill Monica, but only hurt her, to make it impossible to play, he was sentenced not for killing but for hurting. what’s wrong with that? It does not matter, to whom he did it, be it the world’s number one tennis player, or number 508, or anybody else.

the fact that he ruined Monica’s life (at least many years of her life), is a totally different question, and in my opinion he should be blamed for that very well.

hingis-seles
Dec 30th, 2002, 01:33 PM
From Venus Envy:

"I won't forget it as long as I live,"says Rennae Stubbs who was in the stands that day."When the carried Monica out we had no idea what her condition was. When we heard she was going to be okay our first reaction was relief. but you knew right away that people don't recover overnight from something like this."

irma
Dec 30th, 2002, 01:33 PM
well by 95 monica had been a good girl like Nav was in the early eighties!

selesrules
Dec 30th, 2002, 02:11 PM
how come you say between the lines that WTA did not do enough for Monica? Monica had a special injury ranking for much longer time than WTA rules said before the attack, and there were lots of new regulations, especially made due to the incident.

Obviously dnadd, you know nothing of what you're talking about. Steffi Graf regained the no.1 ranking on June 07, 1993. Seles was stabbed at the very end of april, which means that Graf took over the ranking in 5 weeks, that's nothing "special" from the wta tour, nothing special was done to Monica, they just continued with normal rankings and a few weeks later Graf took the no.1 spot. Nobody cared.

For example, even today she is not blamed for not playing in Germany. I mean, I totally understand that she doesn’t want to return to Hamburg, but why is she not blamed for not playing the Championships in Munich last year? What does this event have to do with the attack in Hamburg? Just because it is in Germany? Her behaviour declares every tennis spectator in Germany to be a potential killer that she must be afraid of.

Again you don't know what you're talking about. Germany basically told her that someone can try to kill her in germany and the criminal would have the right to do so without paying for it. Germany treated Monica like shit, not like a human being with rights. I respect Monica for having MORALS.

The WTA tour did NOTHING, they should have done everything possible to help out. Like someone said, if Michael Jordan is stabbed on the basketball court, the NBA would get envolved in every way to protect his rights and they would even help him to comeback. Before you make comments, next time look at the facts. I'm surprised that Monica returned at all after the way everyone treated her.

Spirit
Dec 30th, 2002, 04:00 PM
I just want to comment on Monica's refusal to play in Germany, as that is still misunderstood to this day.

I keep reading comments from people who think she'll play there again, or that the reason she doesn't play in Germany is that she's afraid of being attacked again. Neither is true.

First of all, Monica's initial fear of being attacked was natural trauma. It is analogous to a rape victim afraid of going out her front door again. It has nothing to do with how many security guards are behind her or how many locked doors there are in her house. Fear does not work that way. But she overcame this fear and stepped on a tennis court again years ago. In interviews and behavior, she looks very much as if she has dealt with the fear successfully.

Monica doesn't play in Germany because that nation's judicial system, as selesrules said, treated her like shit. A man tried to kill her, and they let him go with barely a slap on the wrist. She was outraged. For a full account of the feelings she experienced, read her autobiography. It relates her emotions far better than I can.

There is a word for this, although Monica herself does not use it -- boycott. She boycotts Germany, and she does it because anything less would be beneath her dignity.

The WTA knows this perfectly well. (The WTA even has a special rule about Monica playing in Germany in its description of Gold and Silver exempt players. Check out the official rules on the WTA web site.) The WTA's decision to move the Championships to Munich was an outrageous slap in her face, and it put money above decency. Monica was right not to go to Munich, and if she had quit the tour after they did that, I would not have blamed her one bit.

Spirit

irma
Dec 30th, 2002, 04:07 PM
"they let him go with barely a slap on the wrist"

in fact they said more or less good job boy (for me saying that he is not danger to the community is the same thing for me)