PDA

View Full Version : Backhand w/ low contact point

Volcana
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Often in matches, I used a backhand with an extremely low contact point on the ball.

As the ball comes over the net, I'm set up with my shoulders and legs perpendicular to the baseline.

I keep my arms and shoulders as relaxed as possible in preparation. The racket head pointing straight to the ground.

I use a short backswing, maybe rising up as much as knee height. And I usually actually let my weight rock back into the rear leg.

Then I step into the ball, transfering all my weight into my lead leg and rotating my hips.

If you keep your arms and shoulders relaxed, you get a whip-like effect that results in hitting over the ball despite the low contact point.

I finish very high. Usually, above my head with only one hand on the racket.

Result: A down the line backhand with MAJOR topspin. You have to hit it hard or the ball won't clear the net. Hit it too hard, and it's in the next province. But its a very difficult shot for opponents to read, and it gets through the court quickly. It does require practice to master, especially the relaxation part. But once you get it, you can use it all day without fatigue.

treufreund
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:54 PM
I step up to the ball and crouch low taking the backhand early with semi continental grip and make contact square. Since my stance is semi closed I can go down the line, inside out or put a wicked buggywhip crosscourt with short angles. Usually the ball clears the net just barely and shoots through the court hard. When going crosscourt I twist with the upper body to fool the opponent . Usually I take some pace off of that and go for the extreme angle if the opponent is on the baseline which is usually a winner because the ball lands short with a relatively low bounce. But I also slice a lot with a one hander and have a great looper lob like backhand that I can place very deep and on the sideline down the line. The ball bounce up high and is very deep. Result: Very weak forehand from the opponet or UE or even a clean winner based on depth. The sheer number of different backhands I use drives people nuts. And of course I won't hesitate to use the drop shot.

Glenn
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:03 PM
I have a one-hander which I usually hit as flat as I can, also very hard, it has no slice on it but it bounces very low, even on claycourts.
I'm not very familiar with all those tecnnical tennis terms you guys are using... I think if you want to be a good tennisplayer and have fun you play with your mind and instinct, not based on some books or some special grip or stance... :rolleyes:

ktwtennis
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:10 PM
I bend down very low like my fave...Monica Seles. Our backhands are very similar!

ktwtennis
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Oh, and sometimes I just slice it when it gets low...

Come-on-kim
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:22 PM
I completely copied my backhand to Kim's one!!

So, you can see how I'm playing it!!

It's my best shot, well, the more regular one!

Volcana
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Glenn - If you find my backhand in any book, it'll be in a golf book in the 'deep rough' section. Or check out Jim Thome home run swing. It's alomost a vertical as my backhand. As for 'technical terms', every term treufreund and I used are regularly used by TV commentators. 'Good' is relative, but I have a lot of fun playing, despite the fact that I actually think about what I'm doing out there.

Glenn
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Volcana
Glenn - If you find my backhand in any book, it'll be in a golf book in the 'deep rough' section. Or check out Jim Thome home run swing. It's alomost a vertical as my backhand. As for 'technical terms', every term treufreund and I used are regularly used by TV commentators. 'Good' is relative, but I have a lot of fun playing, despite the fact that I actually think about what I'm doing out there.

I think about what I'm going to do also... but I was just trying to say that I don't understand what you are all saying (like those names for those grips).
For me to understand it I would have to actually see it.
But I copied my backhand motion from Kuerten, I can hit it really flat and hard, my forehand I copied from Clijsters.
When I first started with tennis lessons, my coach showed my footage of strokes by professionals, he wanted me to learn the Gustavo backhand and the Sampras serve and such, but I just went my own way and do what feels best to me. :)
It works out pretty good, although I can't hit the touch shots with my backhand, if I want to hit a dropshot or a nice volley, it will have to be with my forehand! :(

Volcana
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Gee - your backhand sounds like one it would be easy to hit slice with. Hold the racket the same as you do now, but start your swing four inches higher than youdo now, and swing downwards through the ball, ending four inches lower than you do now. That should result in moderate slice without having to change your grip, or how hard you hit

Glenn
Dec 24th, 2002, 03:08 PM
Yea, I know how to hit slice, I'm just not really good at it because it's not something I practice a lot.
I also know how to hit a backhand volley, but I'm also not good at it, I think everyone has parts on his or her game that don't work as well as others! No?

http://www.tennisone.com/issue/murphy/volley/two/bhside.gif

Volcana
Dec 24th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Well, it would be nice to have a real 2nd serve.

Glenn
Dec 24th, 2002, 03:19 PM
LOL!