PDA

View Full Version : The Fuzz-busting Trivia Quiz 4

Brian Stewart
Dec 24th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Since this is quiz season. I meant to post it a little while ago, but got too busy. :)

The rules are the same as always. When someone answers, I'll tell how many they got correct (but not which ones). After several people have answered, I'll also state which questions have been correctly answered (but not by whom). Enjoy.

Before Chris Evert's father, Jimmy, married the woman who would become Chris' mother, he dated another woman who would go on to become the mother of a highly-ranked player. Who was she?

After Billie Jean King won the 1975 Wimbledon singles championship, she told the All-England Club that she would not attend the Champion's Ball unless they invited whom? (You don't necessarily have to identify by name.)

When the first year-end rankings lists where made, Suzanne Lenglen was #1. After Lenglen, who was the next women's year-end #1 from a non-English-speaking country?

Who had the fastest women's serve at the 1993 Australian Open? (Participants are listed in the Australian Open thread in the "Grand Slam Results" forum. </plug>)

The Williams sisters get as much notice for being a "sister act" as they do individually. Since modern organized tennis began in the late 1800's, who was tennis' first "sister act"?

Who was the first American woman with a 2-handed backhand in the Open Era?

Who is the tallest ever Roland Garros women's singles champion?

Which famous American TV actress played in Grand Slam tournaments in the 1960's?

The current convention for listing doubles teams is to list them alphabetically by last name. ie Jones/Smith, Brown/Sanchez, etc. Sometimes, this can lead to very amusing teams. American tennis legend Dorothy Head once formed one such team when she played slam doubles with whom?

At the 1957 Wimbledon Champion's Ball, women's champ Althea Gibson sang 2 songs. Give the title of either song.

Sam L
Dec 24th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Brian Stewart
When the first year-end rankings lists where made, Suzanne Lenglen was #1. After Lenglen, who was the next women's year-end #1 from a non-English-speaking country?

Anita Lizana? I got it from your #1's list. I don't even know who she is.

The Williams sisters get as much notice for being a "sister act" as they do individually. Since modern organized tennis began in the late 1800's, who was tennis' first "sister act"?

The Watsons? Maud and Lillian?

I'd be interested to know who.

Wild guess. Hilde Sperling?

AUSBOY
Dec 24th, 2002, 11:06 AM
4.) Brenda Schultz McCarthy? I know Julie Halard-Decugis was in the top 5, she served one at 172 I think

Gandalf
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:29 PM
OK, I have no idea of any of them, so...

1-Before Chris Evert's father, Jimmy, married the woman who would become Chris' mother, he dated another woman who would go on to become the mother of a highly-ranked player. Who was she?

The mother of Virginia Wade?

2-After Billie Jean King won the 1975 Wimbledon singles championship, she told the All-England Club that she would not attend the Champion's Ball unless they invited whom? (You don't necessarily have to identify by name.)

Prince Charles

3-When the first year-end rankings lists where made, Suzanne Lenglen was #1. After Lenglen, who was the next women's year-end #1 from a non-English-speaking country?

Maria Bueno

4-Who had the fastest women's serve at the 1993 Australian Open? (Participants are listed in the Australian Open thread in the "Grand Slam Results" forum. </plug> )

Brenda Schultz

5-The Williams sisters get as much notice for being a "sister act" as they do individually. Since modern organized tennis began in the late 1800's, who was tennis' first "sister act"?

The Doods

6-Who was the first American woman with a 2-handed backhand in the Open Era?

Chris Evert

7-Who is the tallest ever Roland Garros women's singles champion?

Margaret Court

8-Which famous American TV actress played in Grand Slam tournaments in the 1960's?

9-The current convention for listing doubles teams is to list them alphabetically by last name. ie Jones/Smith, Brown/Sanchez, etc. Sometimes, this can lead to very amusing teams. American tennis legend Dorothy Head once formed one such team when she played slam doubles with whom?

Big/Head

10-At the 1957 Wimbledon Champion's Ball, women's champ Althea Gibson sang 2 songs. Give the title of either song.

'As time goes by' and 'The man I love'

Please, tell me I have at least 1 correct :D

Brian Stewart
Dec 25th, 2002, 12:39 AM
Since Sam and Ausboy only answered a few questions, I can't score them without giving things away. Sorry, Gandalf, you're 1 short of your goal.

A clue on question 4, not all of the biggest servers have their serves recorded "officially" by the radar guns.

Sam L
Dec 25th, 2002, 10:34 PM
Before Chris Evert's father, Jimmy, married the woman who would become Chris' mother, he dated another woman who would go on to become the mother of a highly-ranked player. Who was she?

Er, Jeanne Evert? LOL I have no idea!

After Billie Jean King won the 1975 Wimbledon singles championship, she told the All-England Club that she would not attend the Champion's Ball unless they invited whom? (You don't necessarily have to identify by name.)

Her partner

Who had the fastest women's serve at the 1993 Australian Open? (Participants are listed in the Australian Open thread in the "Grand Slam Results" forum. </plug> )

Mary Pierce?

Chris Evert?

Which famous American TV actress played in Grand Slam tournaments in the 1960's?

Jean Harper? :confused:

The current convention for listing doubles teams is to list them alphabetically by last name. ie Jones/Smith, Brown/Sanchez, etc. Sometimes, this can lead to very amusing teams. American tennis legend Dorothy Head once formed one such team when she played slam doubles with whom?

I don't know

At the 1957 Wimbledon Champion's Ball, women's champ Althea Gibson sang 2 songs. Give the title of either song.

I don't know

---> Now please the give the answers for the other ones :p :) ;)

Brian Stewart
Dec 26th, 2002, 12:32 AM
Combining the two posts, Sam has 1 correct answer.

Nice try with Jeanne Evert, but she (and sister Clare) have the same mother as Chris. This is a different woman. (And it will be a huge surprise. Think of one of the last people you'd expect.)

Sam L
Dec 26th, 2002, 12:41 AM
Nice try with Jeanne Evert, but she (and sister Clare) have the same mother as Chris. This is a different woman. (And it will be a huge surprise. Think of one of the last people you'd expect.)

Now I'm just confused, really! :confused:

I have 1 correct answer? :o I think I know which one

Gandalf
Dec 26th, 2002, 03:05 PM
:sad:

Brian Stewart
Dec 27th, 2002, 12:36 AM
No other guesses? There are only 127 other possibilities for question 4. It probably would have been Brenda Schultz, but apparently she didn't get her serve recorded by the radar gun that year.

Hints:
#1 was the mother of another American player

#5 one of the sisters achieved something noteworthy

#8 she had a sister who played the slams too

Brian Stewart
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:59 PM
Since this is going over like the proverbial lead balloon, I might as well post the answers.

Gloria Connors, the mother of Jimmy Connors.

Mr. and Mrs. Twynam. Mr. Twynam was the chief groundsman, and Mrs. Twynam was in charge of the ladies' lockerroom.

Anita Lizana of Chile, in 1937.

Who had the fastest women's serve at the 1993 Australian Open?
Chanda Rubin

The Langrishe sisters, who played in the very first women's tournaments in Ireland.

Jane "Peaches" Bartkowicz

Althea Gibson

Cathy Lee Crosby. (That's Incredible! :))

Phyllis Hunter, thus forming the team of Head/Hunter.

"If I Loved You" and "Around the World"

way
Dec 28th, 2002, 12:39 AM
Brian, they were too difficult.
I didn't know any, nor I had the slightest idea of.

But.....the first one!!!
do you mean that when Evert and Connors became engaged, Chris's father was (so as to say) almost the father of both???
:rolleyes:
That's so amazing that it suprises me I had never heard any gossip about it!
:)

Brian Stewart
Dec 28th, 2002, 05:25 AM
It surprised me when I read it. What are the odds? Just think how tennis history would have been changed had Jimmy Evert married Gloria instead of Collette. Would little Jimmy had been as successful without the "us against the world" chip his mother put on his shoulder? Would Chris, Jeanne, and Clare have become tennis players? Would they have been successful? And if not, would the 2-handed backhand have caught on with the women's tour?

Dawn Marie
Dec 28th, 2002, 05:52 AM
I didn't know any of these but I sure learned some things about past tennis players. I did think Althea was the tallest but was not 100% postitive on that. I bet Althea has a beautiful voice.:)

Chanda served the hardest at OZ Open one year? WOW!:)

Sam L
Dec 28th, 2002, 06:23 AM
Jane Bartkowicz? Who is she?

So did anyone used to play with two-handed backhands before the open-era? :confused:

Messenger
Dec 28th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Yes, although it was considered very unorthodox. I saw an old video clip of a woman who played double handed - but the other hand was placed far up the handle of the racket so that there was a gap between the two fists.

way
Dec 28th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Yes, Brian, sliding doors.
There was an interesting thread opened about it.

Rollo
Dec 28th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Jan Lehane, the 1960 Aussie Open finalist, played double handed.

Beat
Dec 28th, 2002, 04:21 PM
3 cheers for brian :)

Gandalf
Dec 29th, 2002, 03:56 PM
LOL, the answers were my second options in all the questions ;) :)

Now seriously, I should have expected the one from Chanda :p