PDA

View Full Version : Pick 5 FAVORITES and 5 POSSIBLE SURPRISES for the AO 2003!

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:04 AM
Favorites:

Serena Williams (The sky is the limit. If she brings her 'A' game nobody can beat her. That's a big IF.)

Venus Williams (Will she finally breakthrough Serena and the rest of the field?)

Monica Seles (Loves Australia. Will be FIT and READY to win...WATCH OUT)

Lindsay Davenport (Can play the best tennis when she puts her mind to it. Can beat anybody...)

Kim Clijsters (Ended 2002 very well. Can produce good pressure tennis. Has proven she can beat the best...)

Possible surprises:

Jennifer Capriati (Defending champion. Plays the slams very well. Loves Australia)

Justine Henin (We all know how good she can be)

Anna Kournikova (Harold has been working hard with Anna. Hopefully she is ready and set to go far in this event)

Dani Hantuchova (Young girl with immense talent. Can beat anyone on any given day)

Elena Bovina (So so so so talented. This Russian is poised for the big time stage. Is she ready to break through?)

Venus Forever
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:56 AM
FAVORITES

1. Serena Williams - Do I even have to explain... Serena Slam.

2. Venus Williams - Revenge and Hunger.

3. Jennifer Capriati - Three-peat.

4. Kim Clijsters - Ended 2002 In Great Form.

5. Monica Seles - Loves the Australian Open.

POSSIBLE SURPRISES

1. Lindsay Davenport - Once won this tournament.

2. Elena Bovina - Ended 2002 in Great Form.

3. Alexandra Stevenson - Ended 2002 In Great Form.

4. Chanda Rubin - Can she get that First Slam??

5. Magdalena Maleeva - Great End to 2002 Season.

Gowza
Dec 24th, 2002, 03:02 AM
i think pierce, daniilidou, petrova, lina k, bovina, stevenson, kournikova and tulyaganova will cause some mischief.

i think young players like sharapova, casanova, widjaja, safina, zvonareva, kuznetsova, harkleroad and golovin (if she gets a wildcard of somesort).

and if mandula and molik get their games together then they might cause some upsets.

MAURO
Dec 24th, 2002, 03:15 AM
i Think Paola Suarez can do a great Aus open

rightous
Dec 24th, 2002, 03:38 AM
I think Lindsay will win the AO, Seles will beat Capri in the QF and Venus and Serena's hpes will end in the Q-F

Bovina will spring a few surprises and also Patty

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 10:14 AM
favourites:
Serena: Has set her minds on th AO and we all know what that means!!
Venus: Can she crack the Serena code again?!
Kim: Was L.A. a fluke or signs of things to come?!
Jennifer: three-peat or end of comeback?!
Lindsay: Is the believe there?!

Surprises
Seles: Will the conditioning work pay- off?
Bovina: We all saw what she can do.
Hantuchova: Time to show up again
Daniilidou: Girl got game
Henin: hard-courts not her favourite, but girl can play!!

Hoopharry
Dec 24th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Favourites:

Serena, Venus, Clijsters, Henin, Hantuchova.

Surprises:

Benesova, Zvonareva, Matevzic, Safina, Greta Arn

Come-on-kim
Dec 24th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Favourites :

Serena and Venus (Williams' domination), Kim (loves Australia and in great form from 2002), Jennifer (defending champion) and Elena Bovina (watch out!!!)

Surprises :

Justine, Lindsay (will she be able to beat the Williams' sisters?), Anastasia, Daniela and Bartoli (?? who knows?)

SerialKiller#69
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:12 PM
5 possible surprises (these are all hunches):

1. the Kimmi upset - possible early loss for Kim. the pressure to do well will creep in and becomes impossibly hard to take for her.

2. the Venus victory - surprise, surprise... after 3 slams, the girl finally takes her vengeance, overwhelming Serena in the finals

3. the Too Good To Be True Anna - a SF reach, beating 3 consecutive top 10 players

4. the Soaring Alex - beats Jenny again in QF with one set bagelled.

5. Dokic in AO

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Hahahaha.....you should put disclaimer on your picks, disclaimer!!

SerialKiller#69
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by nuriboy
you should put disclaimer on your picks, disclaimer!!

huh? sorry, i don't get it. please explain. thanks.

Elleke
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:39 PM
favourites:
Serena, Venus, Seles, Davenport, Kim (I hope so)
surprises:
Bovina(go go girl!!), Benesova, Matevzic, Zvonareva, Myskina!

Glenn
Surprises:

Kim Clijsters winning the whole thing! She showed us some amazing play the last weeks of 2002.

Elena Bovina reaching at least the semi's, she has what it takes to beat the big names.

Justine Henin crawling out of her year-end slump and reaching at least the semifinals, beating 1 Williams sister and Monica Seles on the way, but falling to eventual champion Kim Clijsters... again :sad:

Svetlana Kuznetsova upsetting the lower seeded players (like Chanda Rubin, Anastasia Myskina, Daniela Hantuchova even), seriously this girl will break through, if not at Aussie Open, maybe at Roland Garros

Lindsay Davenport's early fall: she tends to let matches slip away very easily these last few weeks, eg: against Schnyder, Rubin, Clijsters twice, Seles, Maleeva, Serena...

Players reaching at least the 3rd round: Maja Matevzic, Clarisa Fernandez, Daja Bedanova, Dinara Safina, Vera Zvonareva, Libuse Prusova, Marissa Irvin!

nuriboy
You know disclaimer: The thing they put on the back of medicines, telling if you use it it´s at your risk...something like that.

Glenn
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:45 PM
That's not what it's called I think Nuri :)

SerialKiller#69
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:45 PM
yeah ofcourse i know what that means but i couldn't put them together logically a while ago. but i do now. thanks. :)

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Ok dan disclaimer.....I´m still practicing my english... sorry for the misspelling!!

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Glenn: What is the exact word then?! Tell me so I can stop using the wrong word.

england_rules
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Favourites:

1. Jennifer Capriati-You can't underestimate her and nobody will.
2. Serena Williams-Clearly the number 1 but hates it here. Her record here shows it.
3. Venus Williams-Following in her little sister's footsteps, she is getting more and more annoyed. She's gotta beat Serena some time hasn't she?
4. Kim Clijsters-Was L.A. a fluke or foreshadowing? How she performs here will answer that!
5. Monica Seles-We saw that she is still capable of winning here last year where she defeated Venus Williams.

Surprises:

1. Elena Baltacha-If she can consistently get her booming serves in, there's no reason why she can't win a few matches.

2. Elena Bovina-We all know what she's capable of by her quarterfinal showing at the U.S. Open this year. And that was only a taste of what's to come.

3. Svetlana Kuznetsova-May have the most potential of the up-and-comers. No one wants to play this talented youngster.

4. Dinara Safina-Had a breakthrough this year winning her first singles title. Can she do well following in the footsteps of her older brother? My answer is yes.

5. Vera Zvonareva-Took a set off Serena Williams this year. Not an easy thing to do.

Note that I didn't put players like Kournikova or Schett in the surprises category. That's because everyone knows what their capable of. Also, for the players like Henin, Davenport, Myskina, Stevenson, Rubin, and Hantuchova, they are somewhere in between surprises and favourites.

Mazza
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Favourites:
- Serena Williams
- Kim Clijsters
- Venus Williams
- Lindsay Davenport
- Jenifer Capriati.

Suprises:
- Anna Kournikova
- Elena Bovina
- Daniela Hantuchova
- Anistasia Myskina
- Chanda Rubin.

kodeRED
Dec 24th, 2002, 03:24 PM
favorites:
Serena- ya obvious
Venus- same as sis
Jen- past champ
Kim- coming into her own
Monica- if fit she can rock da house

Surprises:
Dementieva- a new day has come
Bovina- russian revolution is here
Pierce- u can't keep great ones down fo long
lina k- another russ babe
zvonareva- very good youngin'

count on these predictions guys!!!!

supremeross
Dec 24th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Top 3 Picks:
1. Serena- See resume from 2002, and very hungry from having to miss it this year. And wants to complete her trophy case. While a tired Serena lost to Clijsters in LA. Losses and defeats seem to be her chief motivator this year: See Sydney=Scottsdale, Miami; Charleston=Berlin, Rome, Paris, London; LA, Canadian Open=New York, plus fall tournaments.

2. Venus. The only one better than her is truly #1. Plus the AO is the only slam left that they have not conquered. But all will change in January.

3. Kim Clijsters. While she had a great fall, and ended with a big win in LA, I wouldn't put TOO much emphasis on that win. While a win is a win, objectively you have to look at the quality of the wins. Justine had her mind elsewhere, Venus retired and Serena was just spent from the day before. All things that you need to win a title (not to mention talent), but Clijsters has still yet to beat Capriati, play a full match and defeat Venus on hard court and prove that her win over Serena in LA wasn't a fluke. Plus, and you're hearing it here first, will Clijster be sidetracked with all the media attention about a possible defection to Australia.

Players to not count out.

1. Davenport
2. Seles
3. Rubin

Philip
Dec 24th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Favourites:

Serena
Venus
Lindsay
Kim
Monica
(Justine)

Suprises:

Daniela
Anna K
Patty S
Alex S
Elena Bovina

Philip
Dec 24th, 2002, 05:14 PM
As for jennifer, i wouldnt put her in either category

JCAP
Dec 24th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Oh my God Philip, you wouldn't put Jen in any category,OK??
Did i miss something or is Jen not the 2000 and 2001 "CHAMP"!!! Really Philip get serious :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :p :eek: :mad: :eek: ::confused: :p :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
CAPRIATI 2003 Oz open "CHAMP" :bounce: :p :bounce: :p :bounce: :p :) ;) :D ;) :D :)

JCAP
Dec 24th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Soory i meant 2001 2002

Berlin_Calling
Dec 24th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Favorites:

Serena-She wants that last slam, but she will have to bring her A game.

Venus-Sick of her Grand Slam and wheres a better place to end it than the first slam of the year?

Jennifer-Two time defending champion who will do all it takes to win at her beloved Aussie Open again. Just like she showed in 2002 in the final.

Kim-Semifinalist in 2002 and playing very well lately. Game suited for Rebound Ace.

Monica-She always plays incredibly down under almost coming through in 2002. Is determined to win.

Surprises:

Justine-She won 2 tourneys on rebound ace in 2001 and she has shown she can play on this surface.

AnnaK-Quarterfinalist in 2001, Anna is hungry again and is working hard with Harold to bring her A game to Australia.

Mary- She won here in 1995 and if she has no injuries, she can cause A LOT of mischief. If she is workingo n her fitness during this break, the top seeds better watch out!

Lindsay- She won this in 2000 and after a titleless 2002, she is hungry. After missing the 2002 tourney, Lindsay wants to come back and cause a storm.

Elena B-New talent. Showed she can hit with the big hitters (Lindsay, Venus) and sometimes overpower them. Consistency is the key and if she gains it, ,she can do anything. She has all the elements.

vs1
Dec 24th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Favourites:
1. Serena (no explanation needed)
2. Venus (she's always considered a fave)
3. Jennifer (defending champ)
4. Lindsay (she's got what it takes & she's won it before)
5. Kim (she's an honourary Ozzie & she's in good form)

Surprises:
1. E. Bovina (she's really good)
2. Daniilidou (good & a crowd fave)
3. Maleeva (can't discount Maggie)
4. Stevenson (just when you've given up, she surprises)
5. Safina (I REALLY want her to surprise everyone!)

Martian KC
Dec 24th, 2002, 09:46 PM
Favorites:
1.Monica Seles
2.Lindsay Davenport
3.Serena Williams
4.Jen Capriati
5.Kim Clijsters

Surprises:
1.Justine Henin
2.Svetlana Kuznetsova
3.Anna Kournikova
4.Patty Schnyder
5.Dinara Safina

Philip
Dec 24th, 2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by pmimvmlm1
Oh my God Philip, you wouldn't put Jen in any category,OK??
Did i miss something or is Jen not the 2000 and 2001 "CHAMP"!!! Really Philip get serious :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :p :eek: :mad: :eek: ::confused: :p :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
CAPRIATI 2003 Oz open "CHAMP" :bounce: :p :bounce: :p :bounce: :p :) ;) :D ;) :D :)

lol, i meant it in a nice way :p i dont think she is a favourite, from seeing her end of year results.... but i also wouldnt be surprised if she did win or come close... so thats why i cany put her in either ;)

shes kinda a 50/50 for me ;)

Jordan.
Dec 24th, 2002, 11:55 PM
Favorites :

Monica
Venus
Kim
Jennifer
Lindsay

Surprises :

Zvonareva
Lucic
Irvin
Kournikova
Schett

setpoint
Dec 25th, 2002, 12:16 AM
Favorites
S Williams
M Seles
L Davenport
J Capriati
K Clijsters

Surprises
C Rubin
E Bovina
D Hantuchova
A Myskina
A Kornikova

o0O0o
Dec 25th, 2002, 12:29 AM
After reading everyone's predictions (and they are all the same), let me point out one universal flaw.

Venus will never ever ever beat Serena ever again. EVER!

It's not even a mental problem. Serena just runs faster, has a better serve, better return, a better forehand, and a better backhand.

Anyway, my picks, in no order:

Capriati
Clijsters
Serena

Gets deep:

Daniela Hantuchova
Lindsay Davenport

Oh my, she's a top-8 seed!:

Anastasia Myskina

Upsetters:

Patty Schnyder
Anna Kournikova
Elena Bovina

~|Naomi|~
Dec 25th, 2002, 04:56 AM
Favourites:

1 Serena
2 Venus
3 Kim
4 Lindsay
5 Jennifer

Surprises

1 Elena B
2 Svetlana
3 Vera
4Daja
5 Maja Matevzic

PhoenixStorm
Dec 25th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Venus will never beat serena again? Um, okay, aren't you the one who said no williams sister would ever win Roland Garros? Your predictions are so dead on! Its scary!

anyway, my predictions:

Winner: Serena(but im hoping Venus)

Final: Serena vs Venus

Semi: Serena Venus Kim Jenn

Quarter: Serena Venus Kim Jenn Lindsay Elena Daniela Monica

I am predicting serena only because I think Vstarr Interiors has put a serious cramp on Venus Tennis career. However one thing is certain: there will be no Jenn Martina threepeat final, thank god the last two were tortourous enough. First a complete domilition of Martina in 2001, there was no doubt Jenn was winning that and then a complete martina Choke in 2002. Wow what a classic when a player chokes and then goes down to heat exhaustion because of her bad conditioning. Great stuff.

spencercarlos
Dec 25th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Favorites
Serena (obvious reasons)

Venus (same reasons)

Kim (Injury free she can make noise)

Davenport (Australia is a good place for her, can she go all the
way again?)

Monica Seles ( the least favorite, in fact a slam run would be a major surprise. Her last slam final 98 RG :s)

Surprises
Hantuchova (Big game, more consistent now, maybe needs to serve a little better)

Schnyder (seems to be having great streaks can she have one at a slam?)

Smashnova (won 5 titles, she is fit, and she is consisten, she makes her oponnets beat her)

Kournikova (had a good summer season, at least got to semis and finals, and seems to be playing a little bit better in the latter part of the year)

Bovina (she is fit, and has won a couple of event, seems to be looking to move to the next level, can she make it?)

Messenger
Dec 25th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by MAURO
i Think Paola Suarez can do a great Aus open

Yes, she reached her first Grand Slam Quarter Final this year which is never talked about. If she doesn't draw a high seed in her section, I think she can break through to the 4th or QF round.

Messenger
Dec 25th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by kim&lleytonrule
Favourites:

1 Serena
2 Venus
3 Kim
4 Lindsay
5 Jennifer

Surprises

1 Elena B
2 Svetlana
3 Vera
4Daja
5 Maja Matevzic

What makes you say Matevzic? What are some of her best results?

Mattographer
Dec 25th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Favorites:

1. Serena Williams
2. Venus Williams
3. Jennifer Capriati
4. Kim Clijsters
5. Monica Seles

Suprises:

1. Anna Smashnova
2. Vera Zvonareva
3. Rachel McQuillan
4. Anastasia Myskina
5. Patty Schnyder

If you ask me why I put Rachel McQuillan in the Suprises list... well, she is in fine forms lately and recieved a wildcard for best performance in all $25K Australian Challenger events last November including won over Evie Dominikovic. If she draw easy quarters then, she should do well.

m_pierce fan
Dec 25th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Favourites:
1. Jennifer Capriati (Jenny plays her best in Melbourne and she is in really good shape in physically so I can't see one reason why she can't win this tournament again?!?!)
2. Kim Clijsters ( Kim played really good here in last year but unfortunately she did have to meet Jenny and that was too much..But that match was good 3 setter...!!Kim won the year-ending tournament in LA beating both Serena and Venus on her road..Although Venus was injured but still...I think Kim will be atleast in Semifinals!!)
3. Serena Williams (I don't have to say anything about this player..Always when she is on court is ROCKTIME!!!Serena really rocks on court..Last year she was unbeatable but this year I think she is beatable!!!Serena will be in Semifinals 2003 Oz open!)
4. Lindsay Davenport ( Lindsay has won this earlier so why not now?!?!She did better and better last season and when Oz starts she will be like FIRE!!Lindsay will compete to reach to finals!!)
5. Monica Seles ( Beat Venus Williams last year in here and lost to Martina Hingis in 3 setter..That match was really exciting!!I think that if Monica want this tournament badly SHE CAN WIN IT!!
She has all the guns to beat those players like Serena, Jenny and Kim...Go Monica!!Monica will be in Semifinalist too!!!)

Surprises:
1. Mary Pierce ( Mary won this tournament in 1995 and was final in other year!!That shows that Mary can do it everytime she wants!!I think that 4-finals will be Mary's if she can play her best...If she has easy draw maybe Semifinals or Final!!!)
Allez Mary!!)
2. Justin Henin-Hardenne ( I don't know what's wrong with Justine but always when she is on court at GSlams she do not play her best!Except in Wimbledon...She is potential player to win this tournament but will her nerves count?!?!?!)
3. Daniela Hantuchova ( Don't analyze wrong this player!!
She holds big guns and I think she will pull through a really big surprise in Melbourne this year!!)

Australian Open 2003:
4-Round:
Serena Williams vs. Iroda Tulyaganova 7-5 6-2
Venus Williams vs. Anna Pistolesi (Smashnova) 6-4 6-4
Jennifer Capriati vs. Elena Dementieva 5-7 6-0 6-4
Kim Clijsters vs. Amanda Coetzer 5-7 7-5 6-0
Monica Seles vs. Barbara Schett 3-6 7-6(4) 6-2
Lindsay Davenport vs. Justin Henin-Hardenne 4-6 6-4 6-3
Daniela Hantuchova vs. Anastacia Myskina 6-2 6-3
Mary Pierce vs. Maggie Maleewa 6-4 7-5

4-Finals:
Serena Williams vs. Mary Pierce 7-6 (5) 6-4
Venus Williams vs. Daniela Hantuchova 7-5 3-6 5-7 :eek:
Jennifer Capriati vs. Monica Seles 7-5 5-7 7-5
Kim Clijsters vs. Lindsay Davenport 7-5 4-6 6-2

Semifinals:
Serena Williams vs. Kim Clijsters 6-1 6-7 (4) 4-6
Jennifer Capriati vs. Daniela Hantuchova 6-4 1-6 6-4

Final:
Jennifer Capriati vs. Kim Clijsters 6-2 6-2 !!

Lindsayfan
Dec 25th, 2002, 09:02 AM
favourites:
Serena
Lindsay
Kim
Monica
Venus

outsider:
Daniela
Elena B.
Mary
Babsi
jennifer

spencercarlos
Dec 25th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Glenn
Surprises:

Lindsay Davenport's early fall: she tends to let matches slip away very easily these last few weeks, eg: against Schnyder, Rubin, Clijsters twice, Seles, Maleeva, Serena...

Kim Clijsters L 6-4, 3-6, 4-6
Patty Schnyder L 7-6, 6-7, 3-6
Monica Seles L 6-3, 6-7, 3-6
Magdalena Maleeva L 7-5, 3-6, 6-7
Serena Williams L 3-6, 5-7
Kim Clijsters L 6-4, 4-6, 2-6

I dont think these scores reflects that she slip away matches with ease. Maybe she is having trouble closing out matches. But She definetly lost to pretty good players. Even Maleeva beat Venus earlier in the event, and Schnyder beat Daniela and Conchita also had a great Charlesston event.

And returning from an injury and face this tough situations is pretty difficult. I think she had a great year anyway. Having the 9 moths off into consideration.

nuriboy
Dec 25th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Whhooow pierce fan! Kim beat (a tired and far from her best) Serena for the first time ever and now she is the favourite to do it twice in a row?!

Alberto
Dec 25th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Favourites:

Serena Williams
Venus Williams
Kim Clijsters
Jennifer Capriati
Justine Henin

Surprises:

Magdalena Maleeva
Monica Seles
Mary Pierce