PDA

View Full Version : Venus and Serena in this weeks PEOPLE!

tennisIlove09
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:25 AM
This week's issue of People is the "2002 25 Most Intriguing People"

Serena is one of the 25!! Here is the article:
Serena Williams
Queen of the Court

The best year of her professional life started off on the wrong foot, a sprained ankle that forced her to sit out the Australian Open in January. That's when tennis ace Serena Williams had a firm talk with herself. "I said, 'I should be ranked higher than I am,' " she recalls. "I told myself I needed to focus on winning in 2002." She won 7 of her next 12 events, dominating three of the four Grand Slam tournaments -- the French Open, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open -- and snatching the No. 1 ranking from big sister Venus, 22. "I'm physically strong but mentally stronger," explains Serena, 21. "I think if you have the attitude that you can do anything, you really can."
The only real loss Serena suffered this year was personal, when her mother, Oracene, 50, and father (and former coach), Richard, 60, ended their troubled 22-year marriage in October. "My parents are very different people," she says. "They both deserve to be happy." Since leaving home in 2000, Serena has been pursuing her own happiness at the $1.84 million house in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., she shares with second-ranked Venus (in November she also bought a $1.5 million condo in L.A., where she intends to pursue an acting career).

"I don't think two sisters can get any closer," says Oracene. "I know Venus is thrilled for Serena's success." That success can only get sweeter. "Serena really is too good," says tennis great Chris Evert. "I'd like to see some players get close to her athleticism, and I don't see it yet on the horizon."

They also have the best/worst of TV, Movies and Books. They asked Venus what her favorite book was. This was her response:

"I loved Angels by Marian Keyes because it's a non-sense book. You don't really learn anything from it, but you are entertained."

Jericho
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:29 AM
they are everywhere nowadays!!!

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:58 AM
Yeah man!! They are really trascending sports right now!! They are true celebrities!!!

Roseie
Dec 24th, 2002, 03:47 AM
Well, well, so Richard is her former coach. What is going on? Who is the new coach? I saw an interview with Richard a few months ago, where he said, he's closer to his son Richerd than Venus & Serena. I always thought he was very close to his daughters. Oh well.

Deira
Dec 24th, 2002, 03:54 AM
What makes you think he is not "very close" to his daughters? I haven't seen or read anything that would make one think otherwise.

anton
Dec 24th, 2002, 04:24 AM
:rolleyes: @ chris evert

TeeRexx
Dec 24th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Evert still hoping for some non-black player to come out of nowhere and stop the WILLIAMS' run. :)

CHOCO
Dec 24th, 2002, 06:46 AM
lol@TeeRexx :)

iluvtrent
Dec 24th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Yeah, when did Richard stop being Serena's coach??

Janet
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Just to show people that the Williams sisters has put a map on tennis, they deserve everything they get it did not come easy for them..............so all the best to the Williams sisters in 2003, they are simply the BEST!!!!!!!!

GrandSlammed
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Evert still hoping for some non-black player to come out of nowhere and stop the WILLIAMS' run.

;), lol - Here 'ya go old Chrissy (http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1197874#post1197874)