PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Doors

steffilover
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:57 PM
Assess the Slam results of your favourite. What could have/should have happened to them along the line? Which Slams should they have won...AND lost? Re-assess the Grand Slam performance of your faves, for better or worse, and show how they should/could be ranked in the pantheon of champions!!

e.g. - Steffi should have lost the finals of the French in '87, '99. Sabatini almost beat her in the semis of the first and Hingis was just 3 points away in the second....but for meltdown, Steffi was a goner there. HOWEVER, she should have won in '86, '89 and '92.....in '86 she had Mandlikova match point down in the quarters and would almost certainly have won, and in '89 was almost home against Sanchez...the Seles match is still painful for me...I remember saying to my partner at the time that I felt sorry for Monica as she was about to lose!!!!
So, by my reckoning, in another universe, Steffi has seven french titles....'86, '88, '89, '92, '93, '95, '96.
I'll do the other slams later, if anyone's interested!!!

way
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Very interesting thread, IMHO.
But i think you'd better start it in a safer place as BFTP!
:)
Here you'll get only backfire!

And Sliding Doors is one of the best movies of these last years.
Let alone the wonderful principle it conveyed.
Yes, discussing what would happened if.....would be great fun, only if.......

Sam L
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Great thread but I'm not even going to go there with the likes of Seles and Hingis :o

I guess in the past "sliding doors" examples included Maureen Connolly with her horse riding incident.

Experimentee
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Serena could have done better in the past if she didnt choke so many times, like against Hingis at AO 2001 and Capriati at FO 2001. Also if she was more mentally tough when playing Venus, she could have won those matches she lost to Venus back then.

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Yeah every player has some matches that they lost that they shouldn´t and vice versa.

Serena:
Aus open´01: A choke job in optima forma!!
Wimbledon ´01: The GREATEST choke job of her career!! Incredible!! up 5-2 in the second set she served TWICE for the match couldn´t close the deal! But that was also the last one!!

One match I recall she won that she shouldn´t:
Acura classic I think against Davenport: down 4-6, 2-5 Davenport serving and she still won that match 4-6 7-5 7-5!! Amazing comeback!!

Another one: L.A vs Capriati in the tird set she was down 1-3 in the third set and Capriati had breakpoint for 1-4, but Cappy clanged a weak second serve in the net!!

irma
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:53 PM
I better not start since I am very biased;)

irma
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:56 PM
I know some matches our dear steffi still won but it looked like it was the opponent was in control the whole time while she(steffi) was the one who started the whole choke job first before the opponent took over (wimbledon 91 comes in mind)

irma
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:56 PM
not that a choker deserves to win!

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Explain yourself Irma girl!! Remember RG´99?! I didn´t get the impression that Steffi was in any control!!

irma
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:05 PM
I was not talking about french 99! steffi didn't take over there till 4:5 15:15 with the backhand

I was talking about wimbledon 91 (up a break and a set before she fell away till late in the third set when sabatini started to choke too)
or french 96 up a set and 4:1 in the tiebreak and then 5:3 behind in the third

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Oooohh! Now r u talking,girlie! You forgot the wimbledon final against Tauziat.....how did she win that match?!

irma
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:15 PM
you mean novotna;)?

well that was the worst choking job I ever saw, but I still stay novotna should not have won since a match doesn't end at 4:1 40:30 but at 6! same for that 5:0 40:00 match against chanda rubin

sometimes I have a feeling that people feel sorry for chokers. well my view is different. if you are not able to hold your nerves till matchpoint then you didn't deserve the win. period! :o ;)

way
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:22 PM
N:You forgot the wimbledon final against Tauziat.....how did she win that match?!

Way
Nobody can remember that match, Nuriboy.
It never took place.
Maybe you're referring to the 93 final against Novotna.
How old were you in 93 if you don't remember who played the final, mind if I ask?

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Hahahhaha Way. I typed the wrong name...I meant to write Novotna, Jana Novotna. How old I was then??!! Very very young!! Hahahahaha!! No, kidding. I´ll give you this...I already left the primary school!

way
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Ok, so you can't remember.
Easy to guess so.

Graf choked first, then Novotna did.
Tha same story which happened in 91, as Irma has exactly remarked.
But those who just *hear about* cannot know.
If you contact me, i'll tape you some matches, Nuriboy, i swear I will.
It's Christmas time, after all!

PS Only condition: give that childish laughter up (ahahahah).
It badmouths you much more than you can think of.
Honestly and friendly