PDA

View Full Version : Best ........and Worst?

steffilover
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:44 PM
What was the best match your fave ever played...in a Grand Slam or not....And which was the worst one? The one where you almost disowned them and took up supporting Anna Kournikova instead??
For me, Steffi's best ever tennis was in the Wimbledon final of '88 - I don't believe since then we've seen athleticism, power and shotmaking combined so well in such an important match - and her worst? That would have to be in the 6-0 6-2 loss to Sanchez in the French Open 1991. Truly a lacklustre and disappointing result on a grey and depressing day for Steffi and tennis fans!

tennisIlove09
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:49 PM
Venus Williams: Best match she ever played was defeating Monica Seles 62 63 Acura final 2001.
Worst: Any Serena match in 2002 :rolleyes:

Serena Williams: Best match: def. Mauresmo 62 61 Wimbledon semis

Worst: 2001 US Open final :rolleyes:

Lindsay: Best: I'd say 00 Aussie Open final
Worst: Serena def. 61 62 Indian Wells 2001

nuriboy
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:52 PM
My fav Serena has had some pretty good matches:
1. vs Monica at the Canadian open ´00 or ´01.
2. Us open ´01 semi´s vs Hingis Incredible...didn´t miss a first serve in second set and really kicked Martina´s ass.
3. Wimbledon ´02 semi´s....destruction of Maursesmo.

Worst?
2000 auz open vs Likotheseva or something
and her match against M.J. Fernandez at RG.

o0O0o
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:33 AM
Martina Hingis

BEST: Kicking Venus' ass off the court in an hour at the 2001 Australian Open. Venus was humiliated and could only stare in disbelief as Hingis ran her from left to right only to finish off the "quickest player on tour" with an unreachable dropshot. Hingis was laughing hysterically after one of her many winning lobs landed just inside the baseline yet again. A true ass-whooping! One could only imagine the pain as Venus flew home the next day only to meet Serena, the other loser. How many millions of people around the world watched Hingis disect Venus and make her look like a junior, moronic tennis player?

WORST: This year's US Open vs. Seles. She made near 40 (give or take) unforced errors in 18 games. Yuck. Not the type of tennis I like to see.

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:38 AM
Hahahhaha....that Auz open must be the greatest asskicking Venus has ever reseved!! Incredible!! Hingis was just incredible and to go lose to Capriati??!! Unbelievable!!

Infiniti2001
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:43 AM
Best US. Open semi final 2001..
Serena beating Martina Hingis like she stole her lunch hehehe... I loved the grim look on Hingis's face-- she kept looking up to mommy as if to say "PLEASE get me the hell out of here".

How many millions of people around the world watched Serena disect Martina and make her look like a junior, moronic tennis player? Then again Hingis definitely won
the Miss Consistency award for being the perennial US Open semifinalist ... :bounce:
Merry Christmas Everyone :kiss: :) :wavey:

o0O0o
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:45 AM
:drool:

It seems I've hit a soft spot with the Pack.

Jericho
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:24 AM
and too bad...the only ass hingis can kick now is her own...

Volcana
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:28 AM
Well, if by 'worst match', you mean, most painful for me to watch, the worst match I ever saw Venus play was her opening round match at OZ 2001. She looked sick. I mean, she looked and played like she was physically ill. THe way Hingis took her apart in the semis was inevitable. I was surprised Venus got that far. It hurt to watch her. To this day I've never heard what the hell happened that she turned up at a GS that way.

Pureracket
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:33 AM
Volcana,
She admitted after her next match against Hingis (she defeated Hingis 6-3,7-6) to Pam and Mary Jo in a postmatch interview that she was completely out of shape for that Aussie Open tournament. I remember how absolutely upset I was at Venus during that Aussie tour. It was almost like she disregarded Australia.

tennisIlove09
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:36 AM
I don't think the 16 16 match is that bad. IMO, Venus was trying harder in that match then she in ALL of the Serena matches this year

Venus Forever
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by o0O0o
Martina Hingis

BEST: Kicking Venus' ass off the court in an hour at the 2001 Australian Open. Venus was humiliated and could only stare in disbelief as Hingis ran her from left to right only to finish off the "quickest player on tour" with an unreachable dropshot. Hingis was laughing hysterically after one of her many winning lobs landed just inside the baseline yet again. A true ass-whooping! One could only imagine the pain as Venus flew home the next day only to meet Serena, the other loser. How many millions of people around the world watched Hingis disect Venus and make her look like a junior, moronic tennis player?

Oh please. Venus gave her that match. She could hit absolutely nothing in, she just sprayed the ball all over. It was not Hingis' hands to win that match, it was up to Venus to lose it; and that is what happened exactly.

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:56 AM
Hahahahaha.......but 6-1 6-1 is 6-1 6-1 how whichever way you turn it!!

vishniac
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by nuriboy
Hahahahaha.......but 6-1 6-1 is 6-1 6-1 how whichever way you turn it!!

Hahaha....but what did the two players get from that match?
Hingis got kicked by Jen in final and , after that, her year has been less than stellar...Ho, that must hurt!
Venus, on the other hand, came back with a rage to win.:hearts:

ASV
Dec 24th, 2002, 03:18 AM
worst: Marrero def. Sanchez Vicario losing only 1 game in 2002 RG

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 10:50 AM
vishniac........that shows how life is! One loss can push you to become better and one win can land your heads in clouds causing you to lose track of reality

irma
Dec 24th, 2002, 10:54 AM
the worst match steffi ever played was against sandra nacuk at berlin 99. that was worse as berlin 97 or french 91 and this time she was not in protest or semi-paralysed!

best I made that list already!

Experimentee
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:19 PM
This is only out of the ones i've seen:

Serenas best - US Open semi 2001
French Open QF 2002
Wimbledon semi 2002

worst - French QF 2001 or any match vs Capriati
US Open final 2001 or any match pre 2002 vs Venus

Experimentee
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by VeNuS FoReVeR
Oh please. Venus gave her that match. She could hit absolutely nothing in, she just sprayed the ball all over. It was not Hingis' hands to win that match, it was up to Venus to lose it; and that is what happened exactly.

I agree, that was the worst tennis i ever saw Vens play ever. She couldnt hit a ball into the court, and as Volcana said she'd been playing like that all tournament, she had almost lost to Amanda Coetzer the round before! Hingis didnt need to do anything but put the ball in the middle of the court and Venus still gave the match to her!

Glenn
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Best:

Henin-Hardenne - Berlin 2002 final, def. Serena Williams 6-2 1-6 7-6
Clijsters - Luxembourg 2002 final def. Maleeva 6-1 6-2
Fernandez - Roland Garros 2001 3rd round def. Clijsters 6-4 6-0
Hingis - Australian Open 2001 quarterfinal def. Serena Williams 6-2 3-6 8-6

Worst:

Henin-Hardenne - Chase Champs 2002 quarterfinal lost to Clijsters 6-2 6-1 :rolleyes:
Clijsters - Roland garros 2001 3rd round lost to Fernandez 6-4 6-0
Fernandez - Tokyo 2nd round lost to Tanasugarn 6-4 6-4
Hingis - Any of her recent matches :rolleyes:

dany.p
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Daniela's best:

Indian wells final defeating Hingis 6-3, 6-4 (although i am a Hingis fan)

Wimbledon defeating Jelena 6-4, 7-5 to get into first grandslam Quarterfinal

Worst:

Choking against Jenn in Canada after leading 5-2 in 2nd set

Sonf@
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:28 PM
The worst thing is that my faves aren´t top players so:

Anabel Medina: Best Match... I would say that the ones she played against Conchita Martínez and Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario in the Spanish Masters 01.

Worst Match: I think that the one she lost to Angeles Montolio in Madrid 01 was awful.

Magui Serna: Best Match: Vs Pierce in Roland Garros 98 and Wimbledon 00.

Worst Match: There are some matches that she played awfully, maybe the ones she lost to Davenport by an easy score, and of course, the one she lost to Chanda Rubin this year at Madrid.

Lindsayfan
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Lindsay's best matches:
- Oz Open Final 2000
- Chase Champs Final 99

worst:
- Us Open Final 2000 (not for the result,but cos she shouldnt have ever lost that damn first set and cos she didnt play as a champ)

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 24th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Martina Hingis

And where the hell is the swiss miss these days? perhaps still reeling form her humiliation after Serena whupped her ass in the US Open 01 semi. Or her other many humiliations in the past few years. Stop bragging about the washed up FORMER top ten player who will NEVER win another slam. BTW, after she "humiliated" venus in OZ, Venus went on to win two slams that year...What did miss washed up win?

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 24th, 2002, 03:29 PM
and about that bitchy smile on the Swiss miss face when she is beating another player, we have not seen it much since now have we....Who the hell is laughing now? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHHHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHHAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

steffilover
Dec 24th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Why is it every thread in here eventually turns into some predictable, childish and unfunny spat between factions...usually williams vs Hingis? It's really becoming boring!!Give your opinion and leave it at that.

Ma. Estefania
Dec 24th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Martina Hingis

I agree.:p

MarcusRock
Dec 24th, 2002, 04:18 PM
:drool:

It seems I've hit a soft spot with the Pack. Psst. If you look back to your original post, it came right after nuriboy's post listing Serena's beating of Hingis at the '01 US Open. He used the "ass kicking" terminology which you then copied 1 post later. You tell me whose soft spot was hit first. :o

PhoenixStorm
Dec 24th, 2002, 08:57 PM
The only soft spot is Martina's entire game.

o0O0o
Dec 25th, 2002, 12:09 AM
Considering that Martina had an even more appalling losses immediately following her match with Serena, it was not a surprise. Anyone could have predicted the winner at that moment. Hingis, however, stopped Venus' enormous Slam-winning streak. Talk about a screeching halt! Wasn't it officially the worst score in Venus' pro career? And she was what, #2 or #3 at the time, playing someone she had beaten the last three matches?

Anyway, Hingis' match against Serena was equally as rewarding, but for totally opposite reasons.

Jericho
Dec 25th, 2002, 12:57 AM
its so sad that some people have to focus on what happened 2 years ago and not what is happening right now...
venus #2 : hingis #10

nuriboy
Dec 25th, 2002, 01:17 AM
Hahahahaa.....this is really funny. Whole lot happened and changed for Venus & Serena since that AUz open!! Venus went on to win 2 more and become no.1. Serena went on tear after that reaching us open finals and winning 3 straight this year and become no.1. It´s like the player who lost more from that match is Hingis indeed! From no.1 to barely no 10??!! That´s life!! But she will always keep bragging rights against Venus though!! 6-1 6-1 njajnjajaja....beat you 6-1 6-1 njanjajajjaja!!!! Hahaha!! Serena is another story!! Because Serena did give her the true asskicking at us open ´01!! 6-4 6-2 without missing a first serve in second set?! Damn!! And winning like 12 points in a row??!! Damn!!Major ass, major asskicking!!

SerialKiller#69
Dec 25th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Martina Hingis

i was about to write the same minus the nerve-striking comments.

Worst: Anna US Open 2002 ... i was about to disown her right then. i invited some of my friends who knew i'm a huge anna fan. that was so humiliating. they were so silent the whole match.:p

Bероника
Dec 25th, 2002, 04:25 PM
The 2 best matchs of Monica were both from French Open 1992:the semi-finals against Sabatini where she came back from 2-4 down in the third set,and the final against Graf that she won because she was mentally undestructible at the time.

The worst she played has to be that match she lost against Hingis 6-0,6-0 some years ago.And in that Wimbledon 92 final she was unrecognisable.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jan 27th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Best: US Open Semi 2000 Martina vs Venus. Martina thought she had it in the bad. She thought it was over. She thought she was going to the showers a winner. Wrong. Venus came back with a vengeance in the third and destroyed the number one player in the world making her look like a child with a raquet. She had no answers, just a blank scared look of disbelief and the knowledge that her chief rival had just surpassed her.

Worst: Aussie Open 2001 quaterfinal. Serena choking away a match she had on her raquet. Oh well at least shes not a choker anymore. Oh wait she's also the only current player with a career grandslam! Woohoo maybe that match was a learning experience.

england_rules
Jan 27th, 2003, 11:37 PM
Actually, I think Hingis match against Serena in the quarters of the Oz Open was better than the semis against Venus because Hingis had to earn that match and she actually fought in that match! When a player wins 6-1, 6-1 or something easy like that, it obviously wasn't close enough to bring out the best in them! Her worst match however, must have been her loss to Dementieva last year in straight sets 6-3, 6-1!

Oh and everyone that keeps saying bad things about Marty (you know who you are) please stop because right now the state that she is in is so physically and emotionally draining! Please! I asked nicely!

england_rules
Jan 27th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Oh and cyber, please take away what you said about Martina in your sig!

selesfan
Jan 28th, 2003, 02:18 AM
and about that bitchy smile on the Swiss miss face when she is beating another player, we have not seen it much since now have we....Who the hell is laughing now? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

LMAO! We haven't seen that toothy smile in years.;)

Blogger Dives
Jan 28th, 2003, 02:33 AM
Best Matches I've seen:
1996 Chase Championships final, A dramatic 5 setter between Hingis and Graf, won by Steffi in five tough long sets.
2001 Aussie Hingis vs Serena Talk about a comeback... Completely put her stamp on that match that Australia is her's!
2001 Aussie Hingis vs Venus Now that was a spanking, you can make every excuse in the world if you like, but it was a SPANKING 6-1, 6-1.... :D
2002 Sydney Final.... Another great match for Hingis.
2002 Berlin Henin vs Serena And you all are obsessed with size matters, Not always!

Worst matches:
2001 US Open Final BOOOOOOORING The start of a complete sleeper in matches.
2002 Aussie Open Final Hingis coulda, shoulda and woulda not for the high heat and jitters.
2002 French Open Final Another Booooring final, Venus vs Serena, doesn't equal great ratings or results in tennis. Just ask the WTA CEO and President who are quitting while there is still a sport.
2002 Wimbledon Final See above.
2002 US Open Final See above.
2003 Aussie Open Final See above.

WtaTour4Ever
Jan 28th, 2003, 02:54 AM
I thought we were supposed to be commenting on matches that our FAV lost, or are we just complaining about players we don't like again......that sounds like a novel idea!

Serendy Willick
Jan 28th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Best matches by my fav
Serena:
6-3, 6-2 US Open semis- Martina was busy talking all of that shyt and ended up getting smacked off the court. It was fantastic

6-4, 6-0 Nasdaq-100 qtrs- You wanna talk about the Venus/Martina match, gee whens the last time Hingis got Bagellled?! (hehehehehehe)

all wins verses Capriati
all of 2002 basically

Venus:
6-4, 6-2 US Open semis(2001)- Great win
6-3, 6-4 99 Zurich Final, how about an azzkicking in front of your hometown fans?!
All of Wimbeldon 2000
All of US Open 2000

Worst
Serena: Wimbeldon 2001 qrts (Got relaxed before the match ended, then ended up losing the match)
Aus Open 2000: What in the hell was she doing?
Aus Open 2001: Was two points and in a great postion to give Hingis her worst showing in Austrailia.

Venus
2001 Aus Open: What a shyt performance, but hey, who would go on to win two slams that year? VENUS, who would go on to win 0 slams that year? MARTINA (Id say Venus got the better end of the deal there, dontcha think?)

ARealVenusFan
Jan 28th, 2003, 02:23 PM
No Name wrote:

One could only imagine the pain as Venus flew home the next day only to meet Serena, the other loser. How many millions of people around the world watched Hingis disect Venus and make her look like a junior, moronic tennis player?

My guess, not many it was AO. :D

SJW
Jan 28th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Serena

best

US 01vs Martina Hingis
Wimby 00 up till Venus! :(
vs JenCap 01 when she finally lost the mental instabiity
i didnt see the match vs Mauresmo! :(
US02 vs Venus

worst:

JCap loses
any surprise losses really. i try to look forward not back ;)

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 28th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Martina Hingis

WORST: This year's US Open vs. Seles. She made near 40 (give or take) unforced errors in 18 games. Yuck. Not the type of tennis I like to see.

And now the world is laughing at her loser ass. Where is she today??????????????????

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 28th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Venus Best: 2000 US Open Semi against Martina. Wiped that smug smile off her face and sent her ass home crying.

Serena: 2001 US Open Semi against Martina. What a ass whipping. Serena made her look every bit the junior player that she really is. No wonder the game left her and her fans behind. It was just pathetic to watch a former champion get her ass tore up like that. The only thing worst is looking at the rankings today and seeing her at number 30...Well she will be out of the top 50 real soon. LOL....:D

RAA
Jan 28th, 2003, 08:58 PM
i'm not sure why this is hard for some venus fans to admit -that thumping of venus at the AO in 01 was BAD..Hingis BEAT her up and down. Hingis was in great form. so that is my worst match for one of my faves, Venus. But I give Hingis full credit for that.. it doesn't have to be about bashing..
in contrast, when Vee won her first GS - at Wimby - that was a great moment! she was so happy and literally jumped for joy. it was great to see.
one of the best matches to watch for me was the 02 year end champs - serena vs. jen. that was great - two great athletes giving it their all. there were some great shots in that rally..

the nasdaq 100 quarters - serena vs. hingis. that was a big turning point in the road.. see where the two have gone from there..

also, monica coming back and winning oz after being stabbed.

steffi winning Paris after being in and out from injuries. She has so many doubters at that point in her career. Especially since hingis said she was "old' or some other such thing.

TSequoia01
Jan 28th, 2003, 09:21 PM
The whipping Venus recieved at Oz 01 was due entirely from only having 11 days to prepare for the slam. She chose school over a grand slam. Not Marti's fault. But everyone knows there were extenuating circumstances. So I hope Hingis' fans enjoyed, it was/is their last hurrah. :o

england_rules
Jan 28th, 2003, 09:23 PM
For the second time, why are some of you Williams fans being so hateful toward Hingis? If you only knew what it was like for her and her many fans right now then you wouldn't be like this. Some of the posters on this board are scum (you know who you are)! I mean why can't you just say what your faves best and worst matches are without insulting another player?

VS Fan
Jan 28th, 2003, 09:47 PM
Well england_rules,

I think it is because that until after the AO2001, Martina and her fans were very vocal about how much better Martina was...more intelligent, master of the court, etc.

She had a good record vs Venus and Serena, and finally at AO2001 she won back to back games from them.

If I am not mistaken, she has lost ALL subsquent matches vs Venus or Serena. I think she won a set from Serena at Scottsdale, and one vs Venus in Europe (clay) but otherwise has not been competetive in these games.

The head to heads are almost even now, and turnabout is now thought to be fair play. I think Martina still has a one game edge over both.

Oh: Venus: Worst match WAS her 1-6, 1-6 loss to Martina
Best match was vs Seles Acura, 2001.

Serena: Worst, vs Davanport US Open 2000
Best vs Martina US Open 2001.

Note: My best and worst are strictly technical quality, not excitement.

TSequoia01
Jan 28th, 2003, 09:52 PM
england_rules is being a selective reader. Might want to read what oo00oo has to say about Martina when it comes to the Sisters. Most of these replies are in response to him. Williams' fans seldom if ever bring up Marti, Hingis fans do. :cool:

england_rules
Jan 29th, 2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by TSequoia01
england_rules is being a selective reader. Might want to read what oo00oo has to say about Martina when it comes to the Sisters. Most of these replies are in response to him. Williams' fans seldom if ever bring up Marti, Hingis fans do. :cool:
You're right about oO0Oo! He isn't really nice about the Williams sisters, but I think that's because he's mad at their domination right now. But what I've been trying to say is that some of you guys are so harsh on Hingis at a time like this!

CJ07
Jan 29th, 2003, 01:01 AM
Venus
Best- 2000-2001

Worst- Miami 02 :(

Monica
Best (I've Seen)- Champs 2002
Worst- 6-0 6-0 Hingis :(