PDA

View Full Version : If Serena fails to defend her slams in 2003...

Oizo
Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:44 PM
...what will happen then? :p

tennisIlove09
Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:47 PM
nothing will happen. the world will continue like it is right now.

Do you think she WON'T defend her slams? I don't think she'll defend all three, but she will defend one, I think.

Oizo
Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:53 PM
Well, I think she won´t be able to defend any of them. :p

nuriboy
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:08 PM
I think that if Serena stays motivated she will win the Auz open and the defend at least two of her slam titles.

Rae Q.
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:20 PM
I'll be sad but it's not gonna be the end of the world. Not many players win 3 Grand Slams in a year so Serena will always be in the history books. That's a big deal because so so many other players playing right now WON'T even be in the history books other than where they say who Serena beat to win all her Grand Slams. :D

Havok
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:24 PM
she won't be #1 in the world. prob top 5 in the world

TeeRexx
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:28 PM
Answers:
1. SERENA may only defend 1-2 titles
2. VENUS may end up year end #1
3. The world will not end, but it will gasp. :p

TSequoia01
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:45 PM
Well lets take a look at it. If she does well at the Aussie, and even if she only makes the semi's that equates to half a slam. If she wins one then thats one and a half. She only played 13 tournies, so if she can add another four she might just end up being #1 all year. :cool:

Infiniti2001
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:34 AM
Well she won't be the first nor will she be the last, so life will indeed go on :eek: :rolleyes:

vs1
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:53 AM
Serena may not defend all of ther slam titles (yet she may!) however, since she didn't play OZ Open last year, she has a lot to gain there if she does well. If she goes deep into most slams, she stands a good chance at keeping #1. But I think that winning slams is more important to her than being #1 (having it all is sweet though).

I personally think that she'll win OZ Open, RG & US Open. So not all of the slams, but three of them. And she'll have a career Grand Slam as well as the #1 ranking. Have a feeling Serena is going to step it up some more in 2003!

tennisIlove09
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by TeeRexx
Answers:
1. SERENA may only defend 1-2 titles
2. VENUS may end up year end #1
3. The world will not end, but it will gasp. :p

I suck at math, but I don't think it's possible for Venus to end #1.

Why? She's not playing 16 events this year. Shes going back to 13-14 events...meaning she'll lose points. All Serena has to do is keep a stellar record in Slams [W's SF's, F's], and play 16 events, and she should be #1.

Davenport could spoil, since she has no pts to defend until summer hardcourts

Venus Forever
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:45 AM
If Serena fails to defend her slams in 2003 just means that Venus took them all.:p

sideout
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:57 AM
AMEN VENUS FOREVER!

Venus Forever
Dec 24th, 2002, 03:51 AM
:D

xcrtbckhnd
Dec 24th, 2002, 05:45 AM
I must say that Serena will end up #1 unless an injury slows her down. She is really a huge level above all the players except Venus and Jen. Although I'm not a huge Serena fan, I recognize her dominance. If she stays healthy, she could win all 4 slams in 2003, but I think that the clay season is the best chance for an upset. Personally, she's the last player I would want to face and always the 1st one I would pick to win.

Devin2.0
Dec 24th, 2002, 06:15 AM
There is nothing to indicate she won't continue at this level or continue improving. Venus is showing a lack of interest. I think we will see the first Grand Slam since Steffi Graf, if Serena wants it and believes she can do it.

Jeff
Dec 24th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Seriously, if Serena wins the Australian Open, 2003 could be a big year for her. If she wins the AO, then I have no doubt it will motivate her to defend the final three slams and go for the Grand Slam!

SerenasMelons
Dec 24th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Serena has not had a good track record in defending her titles. I believe she has only defended 1 title in her career. How will she do next year, when she has 8 (i think?) titles to defend?

persond
Dec 24th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by SerenasMelons
Serena has not had a good track record in defending her titles. I believe she has only defended 1 title in her career. How will she do next year, when she has 8 (i think?) titles to defend?

:) :) However, you must admit, that one reason Serena hasn't defended any titles is because she rarely reenters the same tourneys, except for the slams. You really can't defend a tourney if you don't reenter that tourney the following season.:D :D

We'll just have to wait and see how well she does at defending titles when the 2003 season begins.:D :D

yoyo
Dec 24th, 2002, 03:20 PM
I think she just does not have that goal. All she wants now is to win the Australian Open and have the Serena Slam. If she puts her mind on defending titles or slams, so you guys have to watch out !

Experimentee
Dec 24th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Out of the three tournaments Serena won last year, she only entered one of them this year, and got to the final, so thats not a bad record. I believe she'll defend some, but not all of her titles, but also make up for it by winning some she hasnt won.