PDA

View Full Version : WTA Tour 2002 Trivia: Who am I

Ted of Teds Tennis
Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:34 PM
For those of you who read rec.sport.tennis, you'll already know the answers, since I posted the questions there.

All of these questions refer to the 2002 WTA Tour (singles only!), and to events from Tier 5 up -- no Challengers. Questions don't necessarily refer to the same player from question to question (ie, these aren't a bunch clues about the same player, but separate questions about various players), but I believe there are some repeat answers.

Have fun!

1) I defeated Venus Williams in a WTA Tour singles match this year, but did not win any WTA Tour singles titles.

2) I had a chance to win my first WTA Tour singles title, but lost the final match in a third-set tiebreak, 11-9.

3) I got quality points for beating #1, #2, and #3 at the same event.

4) In two consecutive WTA Tour ranking lists, I had points for being the defeated finalist in a WTA Tour event added to the rankings. (That is, being the beaten finalist in two different events that were added in consecutive ranking lists.)

5) I played a mixed doubles exhibition in front of thousands of people on the same day that I won a singles title.

6) I'm the Luckiest Loser on Tour -- twice I was a Lucky Loser in qualifying, and advanced to the semifinal of the main draw.

7) I defeated five players who ended the year in the Top 20 to win an event.

8) I won the longest tiebreak played in a WTA Tour match this year.

9) I defeated Swiss players in both the semifinal and final of the same event.

10) Amongst the scalps I took at slams this year are two sisters.

11) I'm the second highest-ranked player not to lose two sets in a match at a Slam this year.

12) (Two acceptable answers) I'm one of two players to defeat three players from the USA in the final four rounds of a WTA Tour event.

13) (Two players required) We're from the same country and each won a singles title this year. However, our country does not host any WTA Tour events.

Dokicfan17
Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:54 PM
1) I defeated Venus Williams in a WTA Tour singles match this year, but did not win any WTA Tour singles titles.
-Monica Seles?

2) I had a chance to win my first WTA Tour singles title, but lost the final match in a third-set tiebreak, 11-9.

-Alexandra Stevenson?

-Patty Schnyder or Maggie Maleeva?

4) In two consecutive WTA Tour ranking lists, I had points for being the defeated finalist in a WTA Tour event added to the rankings. (That is, being the beaten finalist in two different events that were added in consecutive ranking lists.)
- no klu

5) I played a mixed doubles exhibition in front of thousands of people on the same day that I won a singles title.
-Anastacia Myskina?

6) I'm the Luckiest Loser on Tour -- twice I was a Lucky Loser in qualifying, and advanced to the semifinal of the main draw.
??

-Patty Schnyder

-Elena Dementieva

Daniela Hantuchova

Monica Seles or Jennifer Capriati

11) I'm the second highest-ranked player not to lose two sets in a match at a Slam this year.
-Venus WIlliams

12) (Two acceptable answers) I'm one of two players to defeat three players from the USA in the final four rounds of a WTA Tour event.
-Magdalena Maleeva

13) (Two players required) We're from the same country and each won a singles title this year. However, our country does not host any WTA Tour events.
-Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin??

Philip
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:43 AM

Sandrine Testud (?)

I don't remember, maybe Alexandra Stevenson at Memphis?

hmm, all i can think of is Patty for Charleston... she beat Jennifer and Serena, and Amelie... but not Venus... Maggie at Moscow, beat Venus... but not Jennifer or Serena.... *sigh* give up.

Anastasia Myskina? Runner up in Birmingham and Eastbourne.

Monica in doha?

Hmmm Anna Smashnova? Emmanuelle Gagliardi?

Errr.. cant think. Not Patty, Conchita and Elena Bovina didn't end up in top 20. Maybe Maggie at Moscow?

I think i recall it was Elena Dementieva, against Anne Kremer at... Indianwells or Miami?

Yeah Daniela at Indian Wells

?

Venus?

Cant think.

hmmmm Maja and Katerina for Slovenia?

Sonf@
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:57 AM

Sandrine Testud

Alexandra Stevenson

Serena Williams

Myskina.

Venus Williams

Virginie Razzano.

Magdalena Maleeva at Moscow.

Elena Dementieva

Daniela Hantuchova

Chanda Rubin

Jennifer Capriati

Serena Williams in Miami (Jennifer, Venus and Irvin)

Maja Matevzic and Katarina Srebotnik.

GoDominique
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:03 AM
No. 10 should be Martina Hingis, defeating both Serra Zanetti sisters at GS.

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:51 AM
1. Sandrine Testud
2. Alexandra Stevenson
3. Magdalena Maleeva
4. Lindsay Davenport
5. Venus Williams
6. Virginie Razzano
7. Magdalena Maleeva?
8. Lisa Raymond
9. Daniela Hantuchova
10. Monica Seles
11. Kim Clijsters?
12. ?
13. Daniela Hantuchova and Martina Sucha

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:58 AM
Hantuchova and Sucha are same country? :o I always confused with Slovakia and Slovenia :o

Ted of Teds Tennis
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:04 AM
There should be one edit, in order to clarify Question #11:

11) I'm the second highest-ranked player not to lose two sets *in the same match* at a Slam this year. (Qualifying is included.)

So far (9pm ET on 23 December):

Dokic Fan #17 answered three questions correctly.
Philip got seven correct.
Sonfo has an amazing 10 complete and correct answers. (Now, can you name the events at which the various things happened?)
Go Dominique is one for one. (Nice try, only answering one question! :p)
And Alex/Sydney has six (I believe -- scrolling up/down to check the correct answers may have caused me to miss one).

Ted of Teds Tennis
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:07 AM
Alex/Sydney:

Yes, Hantuchova and Sucha are from the same country (Slovakia). However, you've forgotten that Slovakia hosts a WTA event (Bratislava).

*shaking my head having forgotten that Sucha won Hobart*

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Ted of Teds Tennis
Alex/Sydney:

Yes, Hantuchova and Sucha are from the same country (Slovakia). However, you've forgotten that Slovakia hosts a WTA event (Bratislava).

*shaking my head having forgotten that Sucha won Hobart*
Whoa! I forgetten about Bratislava! :o

Darkheart
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:20 AM
I'll do these without looking anything up.

==========

?

Alexandra Stevenson

Serena Williams

Lindsay Davenport

Venus Williams

?

Magdalena Maleeva

Elena Dementieva

Daniela Hantuchova

?

?

Kim Clijsters

?

Brian Stewart
Dec 24th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Great quiz! Unfortunately, I've already seen the answers. :( Therefore, I must recuse myself.

Come-on-kim
Dec 24th, 2002, 07:53 AM

Sandrine Testud

Alexandra Stevenson

Patty Schnyder

??

??

Virginie Razzano

Maggie Maleeva

Elena Dementieva

Daniela Hantuchova

??

??

Kim Clijsters

??

S-T-E-V-E
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:18 PM
1. Sandrine Testud ( Doha or Dubai; lost in the final to Mauresmo)
2. Alexandra Stevenson( at Memphis)
3. Patty Schnyder ( but she don't defeat Venus)
4. Lindsay Davenport
5. I don't think Venus Williams
6. C. Fernandez? I don't believe this
7. Maggie Maleeva
8. Elena Dementieva
9. Daniela Hantuchova
10. I don't understand this question
11. Venus Williams
12. KIm Clijsters
13. Maja Matevzic and Katarina Srebotnik

Experimentee
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Sandrine Testud

Alex Stevenson

Serena Williams

Anastasia Myskina

Venus Williams? (i have no idea)

Virginie Razzano

Maggie Maleeva

Elena D

Daniela Hantuchova

Hingis with the Serra Zanetti sisters (i saw the answer but i knew it had to be them)

dont know

Serena or Venus Williams

Srebotnik and Matevzic

Zamboni
Dec 24th, 2002, 05:21 PM
It's no fun answering anymore after I read sonfo's answers, but #11 is really really well stated! (at the start) You shouldn't have clarified it! :)

Ted of Teds Tennis
Dec 25th, 2002, 01:21 AM
More scores:

Darkheart: Six complete and correct.

Brian Stewart: No answers, but honest at least. :)

Come-on-Kim: Six complete and correct.

J. Cap fan: Six complete and correct.

Experimentee: Almost everything correct

Adnil: None correct. And I needed the clarification because everybody was misreading the answer.