PDA

View Full Version : The Williams next meeting

selesrules
Dec 23rd, 2002, 08:32 PM
They are currently tied at 5-5 in head-to-heads and 4-4 in slams. Venus has an edge in terms of overall titles, but Serena has an edge in weeks at no.1.

But the main thing is 5-5 in head-to-heads and 4-4 in slams.

The next meeting will be HUGE for them, it will kind of give an edge to one. :eek: My bet is on Serena.

vs1
Dec 23rd, 2002, 08:37 PM
Serena.

nuriboy
Dec 23rd, 2002, 08:42 PM
Now the real saga will begin!! This time there will be no excuses!! The one that wins is clearly the best right now. Interesting point: Serena has fewer titles but as much quality wins( GSīs). This stats tell you that Serena thrives when the ocation is big!!

Venus Forever
Dec 23rd, 2002, 08:42 PM
Venus.

She's just sick and tired of losing.

BK4ever
Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:24 PM
As much as I love Rena...I hate the way she beat up on Vee this year. I hope Vee is practising hard...I hope she is on the court right now :D

treufreund
Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:34 PM
For me Venus's earlier wins came before Serena really reached her stride and Serena is more than a year younger so really Serena has accomplished more and will hopefully continue to beat big sis in straight sets every time. She has given the rest of the tour a blueprint on how to beat Venus. Thanks Serena :kiss:

TeeRexx
Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:38 PM
VENUS also wrote the blueprint for SERENA to follow when beating Capriati, Hingis, Davenport and the rest of the tour as well.

Deira
Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:41 PM
Well Treufreund, evidently the rest of the tour can't read blueprints 'cause they still haven't really touched Venus' level of play.

treufreund
Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:57 PM
Oh really? Ask Kim and Elena Bovina. I think they can read blueprints well. Some of them just need to get that first win under the belt. I still think Serena's achievements are more illustrious than Venus's and I hope that she will continue to beat Venus. Her game is just more appealing as is her personality. :D

nuriboy
Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:59 PM
Hahahaha.....yeah Deira. I agree.....clearly right now when both the sisters are on they are the best two. I donīt think Venus was truely motivated this year, but right now I think she is getting motivated to show everybody who is the best. But Iīm afraid that now that Serena has dropped her mental block it will be very difficult for Venus to beat serena again.

Shuji Shuriken
Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:56 PM
The world surely would be a better place without all the hypocrisy....oh well...one sure could dream.

tennisIlove09
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by treufreund
Oh really? Ask Kim and Elena Bovina. I think they can read blueprints well. Some of them just need to get that first win under the belt. I still think Serena's achievements are more illustrious than Venus's and I hope that she will continue to beat Venus. Her game is just more appealing as is her personality. :D

I beg to differ.

I find Venus' game and personality more appealing. Just depends on the kind of person YOU are ;)

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:04 AM
Tennislove..thatīs your opinion., bu to me Serenaīs game is more difersified and much more fun to watch than Venusī. Also when Serenaīs on court she displays sow much passion, while Venus you donīt know if she is enjoying herself or anything.

tennisIlove09
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by nuriboy
Tennislove..thatīs your opinion., bu to me Serenaīs game is more difersified and much more fun to watch than Venusī. Also when Serenaīs on court she displays sow much passion, while Venus you donīt know if she is enjoying herself or anything.

right. that's why I said "it depends which kind of person YOU are"...meaning, everyone has his/her own opinion ;) :hearts:

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:20 AM
Ok dan....who will win the next one, tennislove?!

tennisIlove09
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:22 AM
Ok dan....who will win the next one, tennislove?!

depends on which Venus shows up ;)

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:25 AM
Hahahahaha.......it all depends on Venus then, eh?! A true fan a true fan!!

Venus Forever
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:33 AM
It depends on both of them.

If Serena's off, then Venus will step up.

If Venus' off, then Serena will step up.

If both off, it can go either way.

If both on, look for the GREATEST battle EVER.

tennisIlove09
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:34 AM
Hahahahaha.......it all depends on Venus then, eh?! A true fan a true fan!!

I just say that because I don't believe Venus played 100% against Serena this year, that's all. :o

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:49 AM
Venus: Thatīs the battle I think we will see next year!! The on Venus vs. the on Serena....what a great match that should be!!

Tennislove: I donīt think so...the only thing that bothered me was all those dfīs....but I think youīre right to some extent...Venus tried hard only in the first sets. Then when she lost the first sets all the time she let her down....except for US Open ī02.

tennisIlove09
Dec 24th, 2002, 04:00 AM
Well, I'm speaking as someone who only saw the Miami and Paris matches. I didn't watch Wimbledon or US matches because I was very upset with Venus' lack of effort in the first two matches.

And I've heard mixed reviews from people. Some of my close friends told me both matches were great, and others told me Venus was playing just as she did in Miami and Paris. So I'm not watching them:o

BasicTennis
Dec 24th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Venus can't afford another Williams Final!!!!

Right now, she'd be on the top of the list of players who doesn't want to meet Serena in the finals.;)

nuriboy
Dec 24th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Hahhahhaa.......yeah Basic!! She has had enough Serena!!

Mr. Man
Dec 24th, 2002, 10:57 PM
nuriboy I agree with what you have said. :D

croat123
Dec 24th, 2002, 11:01 PM
Serena will beat Venus in the first round of Oz Open Qualifying in 2004 ;)

nuriboy
Dec 25th, 2002, 01:27 AM
Thank you Mr. Man. Which part did you agree with?Hahahaha mr.man?! Cool cool!! I like that nickname! Merry X-mas!!

Smart
Dec 25th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Serena

WilliamzX2
Dec 25th, 2002, 09:17 PM
Nuriboy you are an obsessed Serena fan...have you got nothing else to do than to start endless meaningless threads here... how old are you anyway?

lmoon1
Dec 25th, 2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by WilliamzX2
Nuriboy you are an obsessed Serena fan...have you got nothing else to do than to start endless meaningless threads here... how old are you anyway?

Whoa! Everyone on this board is obsessed with someone:o ! Anyways, what he said was exactly the truth. It is very likely (despite what some diehard Venus fans may think:p ) that Serena will win 90% of their future meetings. Why? First, as one of Venus' teachers once said, "If it comes easy to Venus, then it comes easy. If if doesn't, it doesn't and she will move on to something else. Serena though, will try over and over at something until she gets it just right. She never gives up."

1. Miami- Venus walked off the court thinking, "Cool my little sis gets to go to the finals and win for once. It is a fluke and I know I can get her next time

2. Paris- Venus thinks, "I did better than I thought on clay, and Serena just played better than me. I would have loved the slam, but she needs one too."

3. Wimbledon- Venus thinks, "What the hell does she think she is doing in stealing my Wimbledon crown? This is my turf-where I am supposed to do best. I should have won and I am going to seriously re-work my game to beat her."

Venus goes on fire in the summer, winning three tournaments. She looks like she is playing great tennis. Serena on the other hand, played just one tournament, and lost to Chanda Rubin.

4. US Open- Venus thinks, "No way am I loosing now. Serena didn't play well this summer, and I did. Sure she got to the finals, but if Lindsay hadn't choked, she might not be here right now. Her draw was easier than mine, it is New York under the lights, and I am gonna win this thing."

5. Post US Open match- Venus thinks "If I lost that match, there is just no way I am going to beat her. I played well all summer, gave it my all, played a decent match, and she just whooped me."

Then in the fall, Venus played just three matches- a lackluster loss to Maggie, an error fest win over Patty, who was going for waay too much and making too many errors, and she just got by Monica. Then her luck came to an end as she retired to Kim, and cried the whole way through. I was so heartbroken to see Vee that sad, and it was there that I knew the queen's last ditch effort to regain her crown had failed. So what did she do? She started up an interior decorating business. And people complain about Anna's photoshoots:rolleyes: .

Bероника
Dec 25th, 2002, 10:25 PM
I hope Venus wins the next time.GO VENUS!!!

WilliamzX2
Dec 25th, 2002, 10:44 PM
moon was I talking to you?

Pureracket
Dec 25th, 2002, 10:47 PM
My mind says that Serena and Venus would have a 50-50 success rate against each other if they were both playing at their best. I am a fan of both of theirs, but something tells me that Venus is HAVING to rethink her strategy against her little sister; however, everything is in Venus' ability:

1. Venus' service game is going to have to improve. To me, it's Venus' most vulnerable part of her game against Serena. She can improve this by going for the bombing serves less and getting her percentage higher. I'm thinking that if she tried less pace and more spin, she would have a better chance.

2. Because Serena's court coverage is simply a mirror image of hers, Venus is going to have to start hitting the ball more to the centre of the court. Her backhand is the best in the game, but it is not as effective against Serena. By taking away angles, Venus may draw errors.

3. At points in the final of their last USO match('02), Venus was very successful when she came to the net, but she didn't do that nearly enough. With a nice slice backhand/chip&charge, Venus can put Serena off balance and set herself up for a very high volley/winner percentage.

Serena is definitely at the advantage because her game is sharp enough to play similar strategies for 7 straight slam matches against everybody else, including her older sister. Venus cannot. She definitely is going to have to use different methods if she were to face Serena again.

All in all, I have the utmost faith that Venus can make these meetings interesting again. She has reached the finals of 7 of the last 10 grandslams(incredible), and I'm sure she wants to win a few more of the Slam trophies.

nuriboy
Dec 25th, 2002, 10:54 PM
Good points clocker! And I agree with you. In the past Venus won mustly because Serena was a little bit scared to play her. But right now she has shed the mental block and thatīs why Venus has had trouble beating Serena......cause the gameplan that works against everybody else wont work against Serena because Serena is better than anyone else. I think if both play the best it should be 50/50 as you state. But right now Venus has to retool because Serena is another level than her.

Pureracket
Dec 25th, 2002, 10:59 PM
Both of these young ladies scare me, though. In the offseason (until last year), they both seem to come to Australia rusty.

nuriboy
Dec 26th, 2002, 01:18 AM
Yeah clocker.....interesting point. I hope they realize what is at hand and keep on practizing! Specially Serena......her chance for history.

Experimentee
Dec 26th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by tennisIlove09
Well, I'm speaking as someone who only saw the Miami and Paris matches. I didn't watch Wimbledon or US matches because I was very upset with Venus' lack of effort in the first two matches.

And I've heard mixed reviews from people. Some of my close friends told me both matches were great, and others told me Venus was playing just as she did in Miami and Paris. So I'm not watching them:o

I think the majority of people who saw the matches and who arent Williams haters will tell you that the Wimbledon and US Open finals were much better than Miami or French. They were some of the best finals i have seen, Wimbledon especially. Some people even rate the Wimbledon final as one of the best matches they've seen, people who were claiming the sisters rigged their matches were apologising after that one.

nuriboy
Dec 26th, 2002, 02:35 PM
There you go experimentee. The Wimbledon final is the best slam final I have seen in a long, long time!! Tennis at his very very best!!

Venus Forever
Dec 26th, 2002, 04:07 PM
There you go experimentee. The Wimbledon final is the best slam final I have seen in a long, long time!! Tennis at his very very best!!

Until Venus got broken at 4-3 to go down 5-3 in the second. That game was just not a good game from Venus.

Otherwise, it was a GREAT match.

Aerien
Dec 26th, 2002, 04:52 PM
I just hope that Venus won't lose the second set by 3-6 again.

It's been:
RG: 5-7 3-6
W: 6-7 3-6
USO: 4-6 3-6

I'm putting my money on Serena again though.
(Actually this house is kinda devided on Williams' support.)