PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody here switched fave over the past 6 years, and why?

"Topaz"
Dec 23rd, 2002, 05:34 PM
Let me start. Seles used to be my fave. During her hiatus, I essentially lost passion for women's tennis. When I resumed watching, I saw a dominating youngster, Hingis, dismissing everybody including my fave, Seles. Then I also noticed another lanky and young girl, Venus, who wouldn't hesitate to plunge to the concrete to chase a ball in US open 97 semis against Spirlea; that got my attention. Then Venus slowly grew on me: her sheer determination despite facing more skilful players and other adversities was awesome.

My journey with her culminated this year in February when she became #1. That was ecstasy. But I would cry of exultation if Seles could garner another GS before she retires.

auntie janie
Dec 23rd, 2002, 05:47 PM
Yes, I switched this year. I also loved Seles from the time she came on the Tour. She still tops my ratings when it comes to human qualities, rather than tennis. Lindsay was my second favorite.

But this year Justine passed them both on my (LONG) faves list, because of the sheer delight I get from watching her play tennis. So now when Justine plays Lindsay or Monica, I root for Justine! :hearts:

E. Blackadder
Dec 23rd, 2002, 05:49 PM
Kim was my fav, but recently miss Els Callens passed her and pushed her to spot #2

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 23rd, 2002, 06:05 PM
I have Monica as my current and forever number one fave. It was always ONLY Monica until last year when I discovered my love for Anna Kournikova and Jelena Dokic...But Monica is still and will always be my number one fave...

Mattographer
Dec 23rd, 2002, 06:14 PM
Jelena Dokic used my favourite player until Rachel McQuillan found her fine forms last year in March where she made semis at Dubai and R4 at Indian Wells. She passed Dokic on the list... last July, Amelie Mauresmo finally reached semis in a Grand Slam event for second time and I was so excited about it. After Wimbledom, she is the one of few players can challenge the Williams sisters and I beginning like her more... she passed Dokic now.

1. Rachel McQuillan
2. Amelie Mauresmo
3. Jelena Dokic

;)

Havok
Dec 23rd, 2002, 08:22 PM
well, i reallyliked Martina Hingis but now i've notices jelena Dokic. i dunno what the real reason is for liking Jelena more,but i find i'm more behind Jelena and would want her to succeed more than Martina. i think Jelena will always be my fav forever:)

irma
Dec 23rd, 2002, 08:33 PM
I switched a little after 1999 since steffi retired, but it's stable again since two years:D

and steffi is the one I still talk about the most anyway lol;)

Gonzo Hates Me!
Dec 23rd, 2002, 08:36 PM
I haven't been watching tennis that long! But in the 3 1/2 years I've watched tennis, I have basically stayed with the same 3 people, Kim, Roger and Guga. Pete was my first favorite just because he was the first player I really knew, but after I wasn't a casual fan, I discovered Guga. Okay, so I discovered Rogi in 2000, but he was added to the group. Sometimes I feel like I fancy him more or favor him, but I will always be Mrs. Guga. I like them equally I think. They have only played once and it was quite a boring match, because I didn't care who was to win! I couldn't pick. So I like them equally.

As for the women, hmmm, I used to love Mary Pierce. But I never switched her with anyone. I guess I stopped caring for her as her career whaned. But I still like her a lot, and I am sure if she were in higher rankings, maybe I would pay more attention to her again because I think she is one of the funkiest players.

nuriboy
Dec 23rd, 2002, 08:39 PM
First my favorite was Hingis, but right now it´s Serena...that´s why it´s so tormentating when they both play each other!!

"Topaz"
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:29 PM
Hmm, very interesting replies, thus far!

DEETHELICK
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:42 PM
I wouldn't say I've switched faves, but I am definitely influenced by my faves.

Like Arantxa, she always had nice things to say about Monica, therefore at some level I do support Monica. She said nice things about Martina H too. Plus as she has close relationships with Navratilova, Hantuchova and Kuznetsova, I feel I owe them abit of support.

Probably sounds silly, so whilst I haven't switched faves, my faves do influence my decisions on which other players to support.

I used to like Serena, but RG QF and Wimby QFs changed my perceptions towards her.

treufreund
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:44 PM
My original favorite was Steffi Graf who was replaced by Martina Hingis in 1997. I did root for Steffi in 1999 French Open cuz it was near the end of her career. I felt bad for Martina though. Since then Kim and Amelie are quite high on the list but still behind Martina. :D

"Topaz"
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by DEETHELICK
I used to like Serena, but RG QF and Wimby QFs changed my perceptions towards her. Kind of puzzling! What happened in those encounters, DEETHELICK?

-Sonic-
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:09 AM
When I first got into tennis in 1997 i was a huge davenport fan and anyone who played her was an evil witch. Then when i actually had seen more of the tour i switched to Amanda Coetzer (the opposite of Davenport!?!?), then to Sandrine in 2000ish but more recently after going to more events and seeing a lot more tennis I'm getting more faves all the time. Players I used to dislike a lot (e.g. JenCap) I'm finding a new respect for and am starting to like many more styles.

treufreund
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:13 AM
Nice post, Sonic. I agree. I liked the way Jenn played in the semis of the Championships against Serena. Her returns and her forehand were the most powerful I have ever seen. :eek:

Robbie.
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:26 AM
Well throughout my time following tennis (since 1997) Amanda Coetzer has always been my overriding fave. However over the years I have gradually added more faves to my list. I can't really say that I have switched "faves" - but my focus has certainly switched. This time last year, I would never have put Jenn in my top 10 faves, yet now she rivals Martina and Amanda for my top spot. Then I have a a circle of peripherals faves who I love to see do really well. I don't know if other people have this experience too - but I can't really put a finger on why a REALLY like a player. I just do, and even though other players might have similar traits - both game and personality wise - the chemistry is just not there so to speak ;)

The growth has been somewhat like this, with my ultimate faves in bold :p Of coruse outside of these eight players there are several others I like to see do well - like Maggie Maleeva, Jana (before she retired) Lindsay and Monica - the current top 10 is not exactly full of players I like though :o

1997 - Amanda, Iva, Patty
1998 - Babsi
1999 - Martina
2000 - Elena D
2001 -
2002 - Jenn, Daniela H

Volcana
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:04 AM
After Navratilova retired, I didn't have a fave. I still watched the game, of course, but I didn't much care for any player over another. I was AWARE of Venus, but she wasn't exactly playing a lot, even for her. And there wasn't much tennis on TV. I lliked how Jana played, but that was more of an aesthetic than anything else.

Then Venus arrived, and I discovered I had never really HAD a favorite player brfore. Not one that makes your heart beat faster, your palms sweat, and you get so nervous when she's down you get up and wander around the room talking to her.

Robbie.
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Volcana
Then Venus arrived, and I discovered I had never really HAD a favorite player brfore. Not one that makes your heart beat faster, your palms sweat, and you get so nervous when she's down you get up and wander around the room talking to her.

i am very familiar with that feeling Volcana :o Loves a funny thing, huh? :hearts: :p

Sam L
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:56 AM
I'm more fascinated about the life and achievements of Helen Wills than any other tennis player in history. This is only recent cause I'm young.

Bigkimfan
Dec 24th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Kim's my #1 forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

Come on Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

auntie janie
Dec 24th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Volcana, that was an excellent description of what it's like to really have a fave! When Justine, unexpectedly, shockingly, beat Jennifer in the 2001 Wimbledon semifinals, I was jumping up & down, shouting, & I HUGGED THE TV! :D
But before that final point, it was pure AGONY. :eek:

Nikki
Dec 24th, 2002, 11:45 AM
When Steffi retired I started to follow Lindsay:)

Experimentee
Dec 24th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Before 1997-98, my faves were Amanda Coetzer, ASV, Mary Pierce and Chanda Rubin, but when Venus and Serena came along they passed all of the above.

Wimanna
Dec 24th, 2002, 11:53 AM
I was (still am) a huge fan of Dominique van Roost..but after she retired two great Belgians appeared on the scene...So now I'm a Kim-Justine fan!!!! Or a Justine-Kim fan ;)

Jarrett
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Yes, you know when you have a favorite player when you are watching and it feels like if they don't win the next point or match you will die. I had this experience while watching Wimby this year with Monica playing Justine. Monica losing ruinned my entire week.

CappyMania
Dec 24th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Jenny fan since 1990!

brickhousesupporter
Dec 24th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Seles was my favorite back when she was dominating. Then when Venus came on the tour I was leaning towards Venus until I saw Serena play she was awe-inspiring. I then placed them in the following order.
Serena Williams
Venus Williams
Monica Seles

Berlin_Calling
Dec 24th, 2002, 03:32 PM
It went like this:

2000-Anna Kournikova (loved her since i dont knoe when), Mary Pierce (Since Hilton Head 2000)
2001-Justine Henin (First saw US Open 2000 against Anna but became a fan Berlin 2001)

And Ive never turned my back on my three faves since but I have added and dropped players from my "lower" favs list

And Ive never changed since then

AgassiGirl16
Dec 24th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Well, I haven't really been watching tennis for 6 years, I haven't even been playing for 6 years..but my favorite for the longest time was Martina Hingis, she was the only one I liked, with the exception of Monica Seles, there was always just something I loved about her. I don't know why Martina fell out of my #1 spot, I guess it was her attitude. It got hard to watch her play, not because she was losing because I supported her even after she fell out of the #1 spot, but because she always got so down on herself in matches.

Corina Morariu is my favorite now, and for so many reasons. I met her this summer, and she is such a sweethart. She is a really awesome tennis player, and her game is surely overlooked. Then there is her comeback, and her attitude that are a great part of her. I also like having a favorite that's not in the top 100, it's fun to follow the career and it's not as upsetting if they lose, because they aren't expected to beat everyone at the top. It's also great when they pull off some upsets. Everyone at the top is so close, and it just makes tennis a lot more fun for me to be able to cheer for and support someone like Corina.

So here are my favorites as of now:

1. Corina Morariu
2. Martina Hingis
3. Jen Capriati
4. Monica Seles
5. Daniela Hantuchova
6. Lindsay Davenport

Mary Kate

DEETHELICK
Dec 24th, 2002, 10:37 PM
Oooops, I should have put a year. RG and Wimby QFs 01 TennisPower.

I think that these matches started the fierce rivalry between her and Jen. It was just the way Serena was using weird excuses to explain her play against Jen (e.g. imposter and the whole vomiting saga). Sure Jen made some cheap comments, but when talking about Serena's play, I felt she always gave credit.

Just made me think, each to his own rite?

Candy946
Dec 26th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Seles used to be one of my faves also.

xin
Dec 26th, 2002, 07:34 AM
I just started watching tennis one year ago but I'm sure Justine is the only wta player I like for the rest of my life. It's hard to find players that I like. Besides Justine, I can only pick some players that I think is fun to watch.

Tosh
Dec 26th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Was originally an Evert fan, then Graf and now Capriati. The men have been Edberg, Rafter and now Hewitt.

matthias
Dec 26th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Anke huber was my favorit
but she retired, and so my #2 (Bianka Lamade) earned my #1 spot!!!

SM
Dec 26th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Always and forever - Monica, i liked her but wasnt a proper fan til 1998 french open

1998 - Annak + Venus for a while, Seles, and Dokic who i saw play in Sydney juniors.
2000 - added Myskina.
2001 - added Evie.

TatiAnnahølic
Dec 26th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Anna always my fave :hearts: but Medina passed Conchita and now is my #2 favourite ;)

TeeRexx
Dec 26th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Some of you guys are the lowese of the low. :)
A fan NEVER switches a fave!
That fave is your until one of you dies or retires, and then, if it is retirement, they are an inactive fave.

I know a guy who loved Martina Hingis and when things went sour, he dumped her.
That is a treacherous fan indeed and he will burn an extra eon in purgatory for that deed, I am sure.

You may add to your fave list, but one must never take one away.
It is the #1 law of fans and faves.

Now go back to your old faves and beg for forgiveness.

Exception: If your fave is busted for a felony, then they have broken the trust and you are then free to grab a new fave without repercussions. :)

Lindsayfan
Dec 26th, 2002, 03:25 PM
i've always been and always will be a Lindsay fan,no one will take her place in my heart! :kiss:

RAA
Dec 26th, 2002, 07:43 PM
I loved Martina N. Loved her passion for the game, and the way she wore her heart on her sleeve.
Another fave was Steffi. For some reason, when Monica came on the scene, I didn't like her that much, but of course she has become my sentimental fave.
But for me, Venus and Serena have captured my attention more than any other tennis players. There is something very special for me about these two.
I used to think that fans that didn't care for tennis when their fave wasn't playing, weren't TRUE fans. But I have to say that whenever Venus and Serena leave the game, there will be quite a large gaping hole there for me and I can see myself become less interested in tennis for a while.