PDA

View Full Version : MARTINA HINGIS

treufreund
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:03 PM
This is a thread to commemorate the OBSESSION that many on this board appear to have with Martina. I admit to being a bit obsessed as are most of Martina's fans. But for those who dislike Martina I wanted to ask why there is the obvious obsession with Martina's problems, struggles, injuries, etc?

What do you all think lies behind these weeks and weeks of threads portending doom and gloom for one of tennis's true prodigies? Any ideas?

King Lindsay
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:07 PM
Oh good. This is exactly what we need. Another thread about Martina Hingis where no doubt the exact same issues will be rehashed by the exact same morons that post the exact same threads EVERY SINGLE DAY. Give it a rest.

AjdeNate!
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:09 PM
I'm not debating anything, but look at # of GS won, # of weeks at #1, and records for youngest either. The only thing I wanted to say is I hope she come backs fit, strong, and ready to win soon. I miss the Swiss Miss.

King Lindsay
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:11 PM
And it begins.

AjdeNate!
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:12 PM
Censorship?

Joseosu19
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:18 PM
Take any of the following: Martina, Venus,Serena, jennifer, Kim...put them in the situation Martina is in and you will have tons of threads.

MarcusRock
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:26 PM
Exactly Joseosu19. Throw in the fact that Hingis was a classless player at one time and you'll get these sort of things. Look at the difference between Davenport and Hingis in their absences. Some have long memories regarding Hingis' antics early on and don't seem to have mercy for her. I'm not saying it's right but merely pointing out why it's happening.

King Lindsay
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:31 PM
Listen. I'm not complaining about the content of the threads as much as I am the quantity of the threads. I agree, it's a big subject, one that should be discussed. And it has been. Over and over and over again. It does not need more threads, there is nothing new to say.

nuriboy
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:38 PM
I think it is sad to see Hingis in this position. Itīs always sad to see such a great champion go down like this. I think all people miss her in some way or other( players, fans and not-fans). I hope she has a fast recovery and joins the tour back soon!!

iluvtennis
Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:20 PM
Well King Lindsay...why do you even bother coming in this thread if you are SO interested in discussing the subject??:confused:

King Lindsay
Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:38 PM
To register my displeasure. I thought that was obvious.

treufreund
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:17 PM
Actually I was wanting to know what the motivation is behind those OTHER threads. This is not one of THOSE threads King Lindsay but you chose to lump it in with those. Actually I agreed with you and that was why I started this thread.

Also whoever stated that Martina was CLASSLESS is just clueless. Martina has always been highly praised by her FELLOW PLAYERS even by MONICA SELES and MARTINA and CHRISSY and MARY JO FERNANDEZ. Martina may have had her immature moments but she has had many wonderful moments. So stop dredging stuff from so long ago and look at the person Martina is know. If you think her game is not so good now, you can at least admit how much she has grown up.

Btw, let's not forget that an emotionally wrecked Martina Hingis was the one who came out and called Steffi a great champion in French in front of a hostile crowd. Why is it that that always seems to get lost?

~*Alma*~
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:24 PM
:rolleyes:

~*Alma*~
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:25 PM
bcause bad news is more glamorous or something, people talk more about the bad, than the good things

treufreund
Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:01 AM
HI ALMIE. :D

MarcusRock
Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by treufreund
Also whoever stated that Martina was CLASSLESS is just clueless. Martina has always been highly praised by her FELLOW PLAYERS even by MONICA SELES and MARTINA and CHRISSY and MARY JO FERNANDEZ. Martina may have had her immature moments but she has had many wonderful moments. So stop dredging stuff from so long ago and look at the person Martina is know. If you think her game is not so good now, you can at least admit how much she has grown up.It was I who stated that. No need to be afraid to mention my name. By the way, I'm not dredging up anything but rather explaining why "THOSE threads" as you put it, get started. Almie has it right. People remember Hingis' "immature" moments as those things stick in people's minds longer, especially if some of her immaturity/classlessness was directed at their favorite. Again, what I was offering was an explanation. How that was missed is beyond me.

Btw, let's not forget that an emotionally wrecked Martina Hingis was the one who came out and called Steffi a great champion in French in front of a hostile crowd. Why is it that that always seems to get lost? Because the taste of crow does that to people. Besides, after her display, what else was she going to say? Let's see. There's a hostile crowd so do I ... a) say something that'll make them hate me even more or b) say what they want to hear and try to save face after totally embarassing myself? By the way, in my original post I wasn't even referring to that particular incident but rather the collective assortment of Hingis' unsportsmanlike gems. Anyway, for the 3rd time here I'll explain what I meant in my post: IT WAS AN EXPLANATION. I even mentioned that it wasn't right that it's going on. To borrow your phrase, why is it that THAT seemed to get lost?

treufreund
Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:07 AM
Thanks Marcus Rocks. I feel better. :D

starr
Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:20 AM
ahhhhhhh... the smell of hatred..... lovely, Marcus Rock.

Treufreund, you honor your name. :)

treufreund
Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:32 AM
hey starr, where you been?

Volcana
Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:48 AM
treufreund

1) It's the off-season. We have relatively little to talk about.

2) Martina was the face of the tour from 1997-2000. Virtually every fan of the tour knows her and her game.

3) She's a 22 year old 5-time GS winner who's game has been inexplicably (mus' be da shoes) going south.

4) Serena has prevented us from having, 'who's the best' conversations this off season.

Sydney starts in two weeks. OZ in three. The breadth of the topics of conversation will increase then.

I want her back cause Martina vs Venus was one of the most entertaining matchups in the game.

treufreund
Dec 23rd, 2002, 01:06 AM
On a happy note, EUROSPORT is covering every day of the first ATP event starting on the 29th and will cover WTA SYDNEY with the second round. I am glad I am in Europe. 10 days of Australian Open legends, full coverage of the first men's tournament, rebroadcast of all ATP Masters Series finals, great coverage of Sydney and tons of Australian Open coverage. Tennis coverage is great over here!! Also EUROSPORT is promising to give very very extensive coverage of FILDERSTADT and BERLIN this year!!!

MarcusRock
Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by starr
ahhhhhhh... the smell of hatred..... lovely, Marcus Rock. Hatred? I think not. Looks like you could benefit from a re-read or two ...... or 47.