PDA

View Full Version : What racquet do you use?

Glenn
Dec 22nd, 2002, 04:54 PM
Just want to know which brand is the most popular here on WTAWorld! :D

Glenn
Dec 22nd, 2002, 04:57 PM
I myself use a Babolat Pure Drive, the same racquet as Clijsters.
I use it because my trainer recommended it for me, it's a great mix of control, power and comfort... so it's good for practicly any style of play.
And it has a special feature called "Woofer", it's like a trampoline effect, it's great for my one-handed backhand, because when I used my old racquet, a Head Ti Heat (Kuerten's old racquet), my backhand didn't get enough power... :rolleyes:
Now my backhand down the line is one of my best shots :)

2ace2
Dec 22nd, 2002, 04:58 PM
Wilson Pro Staff 7.1 Torch

Brαm
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:04 PM
Wilson

Wimanna
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:05 PM
Wilson

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:06 PM
Head...Agassi

TennisFan75
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:21 PM
love my Yonex...

Jay :D

▀coene
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:23 PM
I use a Babolat soft drive, it's good but if I buy a new one it will be a Babolat pure drive.

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:26 PM
Babolat Pure Drive :)

Venus Forever
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:33 PM
Originally a Wilson, now a Prince.

Wojtek
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:33 PM
Wilson Triad Hammer 4.0

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:46 PM
Yonex V-Con (Hingis's racket)

ktwtennis
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:49 PM
Yonex MP-2i...Kournikova's racket

england_rules
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:56 PM
Wilson Hyper Hammer 2.3

RYNJ
Dec 22nd, 2002, 06:05 PM
Head i.Prestige

LucasArg
Dec 22nd, 2002, 06:26 PM
Wilson.

Frau Antje
Dec 22nd, 2002, 06:48 PM
http://www.axnet.wa.edu.au/special_programs/special_tennis/wilson2.gif

TatiAnnah°lic
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:06 PM
The Anna K racket(Yonex) and the Ferrero racket(Prince) -i don't remember the names-

Come-on-kim
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:27 PM
Babolat Pure Drive! Like Kim!!

It will be my racquet's birthday in some days, I bought it last year at New-Year!

Before I was using a Browning racquet!!

graf630
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:49 PM
Wilson

ASV
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:51 PM
yonex ultimum1500 - Kournikova's old racquet that looks blue in pictures but it really very, very purple!

E. Blackadder
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:54 PM
Wilson although I want a Head or Babolat

paul_masterton
Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:14 PM
Volkl

schris
Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:22 PM
WILSON :)

Iorhael
Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:25 PM
Wilson

tonykwok19832002
Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:27 PM
Wilson triad!!!!! but i think i might get a yonex next yr!

Berlin_Calling
Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:49 PM
Babolat Pure Drive, but Im looking for another racquet with a little bit more power.

Katie
Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:59 PM
Head Titanium s5!bloody good racket!:)

http://www.geocities.com/worldwidetennis

Venus+Serena#1fan
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:29 PM
Yonex V-con 17 (hingis_

best racquet i've ever played with.

Linnie
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:14 PM
Head Intelligence i.S6 - same as Chanda :)

she plays a little bit better with it, though ;)

treufreund
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:16 PM
I love the Prince screamer. It was only $99 brand new, bright yellow and great control. I play great with it and generate my own power but the racquet just feels so good to me at the net or on the baseline. :D

treufreund
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:17 PM
Surprised that V÷lkl was not on the list.

Seles1
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:37 PM
Babolat Pure Drive
Same one that Roddick uses

joegerardi
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:42 PM
Wilson ProStaff 6.0

RYNJ
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:52 PM
I dont know why people like the Bablot Pur Drive, I tried it and I thought I was spraying balls everywhere.

joaco
Dec 23rd, 2002, 02:38 AM
Babolat Pure Control (J. I. Chela uses)

Harju.
Dec 23rd, 2002, 02:43 AM
Head... and Wilson!!

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 23rd, 2002, 02:45 AM
More and more players are going towards Babolat
thats got more power than any other racquet.

CB
Dec 23rd, 2002, 03:25 AM
Yeah I don't like Babolat Pure Drive at all. I had two of them.

Shoulder pain and 0 control. Huge power, but so what, you need to keep the ball on court.

Nowadays I have a Yonex MP-Tour 1 (Lleyton's frame)
Good power and control mixed up, great spin. Very very soft! Hefty but low swingweight. Perfect combination, and easy on the arm!

Mattographer
Dec 23rd, 2002, 04:46 AM
Head i.Speed

Candy946
Dec 23rd, 2002, 05:33 AM
Head Ti S2

SM
Dec 23rd, 2002, 05:38 AM
Wilson pro staff 7. something..lol..its hyper carbon..black :)

gerhard
Dec 23rd, 2002, 06:03 AM
Babolat Pure Control Zylon 360

Sam L
Dec 23rd, 2002, 06:53 AM
Is Babolat any good? I'm using Wilson Hyper Hammer 6.3 now. I've had it for years, and I'm looking to change.

Help me guys! :)

Come-on-kim
Dec 23rd, 2002, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Sam L
Is Babolat any good? I'm using Wilson Hyper Hammer 6.3 now. I've had it for years, and I'm looking to change.

Help me guys! :)

Well, for me, Babolat is perfect!!!!!!!!

It helped me to reduce the number of errors because of the mix control-power of the Pure drive!!!

kfh_9118
Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:05 AM
Dunlop & Prince

Elleke
Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:26 AM
Babolat

Vincent
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:43 AM
Yonex MP-tour 1:)
it's perfect.

Seles1
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:14 AM
I use the Babolat Pure Drive Plus.
The first time I tried the racquet I didn't like it and stayed with my old frame for a couple of months. However, I tried it again and relized that it was the string tension that I didn't like. It's recomended for tension on 50-57 but my dad strings mine at 68, my unforced errors have cut down and I have a lot more power and CONTROL than my prince Rebel had. The racquet is perfect, if your looking for a new one i would suggest you demo it.

RYNJ
Dec 24th, 2002, 05:43 AM
The TT Rebel is now discontinued

Cappy is switching to one the new the new "More" rackets by prince.

JC
Dec 24th, 2002, 06:18 AM
I use the
YONEX RD TI 50 long - great racquet por advance player
YONEX MP 3i - awesome racquet
YONEX Ultimum TI 1700 98 sq inch. very nice but it seen that the head is too big for some reason.

but the best racquet that i have found from YONEX is the RD TI 40 long WOOOOOW this racquet has everything power and control and it's very light i love this weapon.

hugetennisfan
Dec 24th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.2, just like Lindsay and Justine

I love this racquet!

m_pierce fan
Dec 24th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Pro Kennex like Nathalie Tauziat did...:)

ghosts
Dec 24th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Babolat :bounce:

Glenn
Dec 24th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Daniel_Forever
The TT Rebel is now discontinued

Cappy is switching to one the new the new "More" rackets by prince.

Really?
Which one is she gonna use?

Glenn
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:18 PM
There's

Prince More Response -> exceptional feel and stability
Prince More Precision -> exceptional control
Prince More Approach -> exceptional maneuverability
Prince More Dominant -> exceptional power
Prince More Game -> mix of power, control and stability
Prince More Thunder -> mix of power and comfort

I think Capriati should go for the More Dominant or the More Game racquet!

The Prince Rebel she uses now is a control oriented racquet so imagine what power she can generate with using one of those babies! :eek:

Sam L
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Thanks guys, I went into a shop to look for the Babolat Pure Drive but I couldn't find it. I really like the Hyper Hammer 6.2 too so I don't know yet.

Glenn
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Hey Sam, give me some details about your game...
Do you use alot of spin, slice, or do you hit it hard and flat?
Serve volley? Hard server?

Glenn
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Also: Are you looking for a control, power or comfort based racquet? Or something else even? :)

Andromeda
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:35 PM
I switched to the Wilson Hyper Hammer 5. 3. It's a thing of beauty. I strung it at 62 or 63 lbs and it's ball striking nirvana. I somehow seem to be getting more blisters though........something about that grip. I'm happy with it now. We'll see what happens later.

BK4ever
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:39 PM
I use the Wilson Triad Hammer 4.0. Its a little light. i either need to add a little weight at the top or string it heavier. Its a great racquet, especially because I have chronic bursitis in my shoulder.

RYNJ
Dec 24th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Capriati's new racket is the...

Prince More Precision

http://av.tennis-warehouse.com/big/PMPREC-big.jpg

Midplus Specs
Head Size:
95 sq. in. / 613 sq. cm.
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm
Strung Weight: 11.5oz / 326g
Balance: 7pts Head Light
Swingweight: 314
Stiffness: 66
Beam Width: 19 mm Straight Beam
Composition: GraphitExtreme / Copper / Titanium / Tungsten
Power Level: Low
Swing Speed: Fast
Grip Type: More Performance Air+
String Pattern:
16 Mains / 19 Crosses
Mains skip: 7T.9T.7H.9H
One Piece
Shared Holes: 10H
String Tension: 53-63 pounds

I'm hearing Sampras might switch rackets too, I think a Hyper Prostaff 6.0?

TartarVicario
Dec 25th, 2002, 05:21 PM
I like Babolat...;)

Sam L
Dec 25th, 2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Glenn
Also: Are you looking for a control, power or comfort based racquet? Or something else even? :)

Hey Glenn, my serve is a non-existent thing LOL let's not go there.

I like hitting groundstrokes as hard as possible and try to angle them. Some topspin, never slices. I NEVER go to the net. LOL

I guess I'm looking for more control without sacrificing power. Hyper Hammers are TOO light imo. Although Hammers are really comfortable I like them for that.

That's why I thought Babolat might be better. But I'm open to suggestions about other rackets.

lmoon1
Dec 25th, 2002, 10:46 PM
Wilson Triad 5.0

Glenn
Dec 26th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Sam L
Hey Glenn, my serve is a non-existent thing LOL let's not go there.

I like hitting groundstrokes as hard as possible and try to angle them. Some topspin, never slices. I NEVER go to the net. LOL

I guess I'm looking for more control without sacrificing power. Hyper Hammers are TOO light imo. Although Hammers are really comfortable I like them for that.

That's why I thought Babolat might be better. But I'm open to suggestions about other rackets.

If you know how to find this racquet:

Babolat Pure Control Zylon 360 Plus

One of my friends has the standard length Babolat Pure Control Zylon 360, and it's great for him, he has the same style as you and his serve wasn't exactly what it should be either.
But since he's using this racquet, he's serving much better and even I have troubles returning now.
You said that you would like a heavier racquet than the Wilson's, that's why i recommend you the PLUS version of the BPCZ 360, it's got a slightly larger head for more power and is slightly bigger for better serving and overheads.
Here's what TennisWarehouse says about this racquet:

Summary
The Pure Control Zylon 360 Plus is a nice addition to the Babolat racquet line and one of the highest scoring review racquets to date. (It was so popular with one of our playtesters (Dan) that he has switched to the PCZ 360.) It falls into the growing category of borderline 'tweener-player racquets, favoring players who generate their own power but prefer a slightly lighter swinging frame. The Pure Control Zylon 360 also has a distinctly dampened feel for players seeking comfort in a control-oriented racquet. If you fit this profile, we encourage you to test drive one through our mail-order demo program.

http://av.tennis-warehouse.com/big/BPCZP-big.jpg

jacs
Dec 26th, 2002, 08:29 AM
wilson pro staff 7.6 with rollers :)

S-T-E-V-E
Dec 26th, 2002, 09:21 AM
I play with a fisher racket.

SM
Dec 26th, 2002, 09:39 AM
i agree Sam ur raquet is way too light! That day we swapped it felt like i lost alot of feel.

If you want control u will have to sacrifice power, its simple as that, and probably will need a heavier frame? Did you mind my pro staff or was it too heavy (way i like it)

i wish they made a raquet where it was light on my bh so my slice would zip thru :), but heavy on my fh side cos i like to put much weight in ...:confused: :p

V.Melb
Dec 26th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Babolat Pure Drive is too light and damages the arm. Most Pro's playing with the Babolats have added lead tape. DON'T get a pure drive unless you play with heavy spin .... if you hit flat you will not be able to control it and become very inconisitent. Pure drive is not a good raquet for a intermediate player...... they are expensive and unless you are quite a good player you will not be able to control it.
I play with a Pure Power Zylon 360. - it has a bigger frame and is quite a bit heavier then the Pure drive team raquet so its better for control. :) It also has a wide raquet head to the sweet spot is bigger and its more forgiving to off-center shots :)

So back to what i said b4. Be carefull if you get a pure drive because they require a lot of topspin IMO.

Glenn
Dec 26th, 2002, 10:37 AM
If you string it heavier than the standard strings, you can hit quite flat with it actually.
The topspin isn't really a disadvantage, because it makes your shots more controlable, and it adds variety to your game... believe me, I tested racquets where you will find it hard just to put a bit of spin on your shots, now that's bad!

I tested Pure Power Zylon 360 too for a few moments, but it was not for me, I'm looking for control and comfort in a racquet, something that the Pure Power couldn't offer me, I could hit winners with it, but most of the time, my shots were just way too hard and not well placed.
But it all depends on personal preference, if you like hard flat shots, and you have good control naturally, that would indeed work better for you. :)

SM
Dec 26th, 2002, 11:14 AM
jacs, my raQUET has the rollers to and i doubt they do anything ? my restringer says that they make my strings break quicker?

all this raquet talk has got me thinking of getting another one...but im not sure what would suit me and this is the approriate thread ;). i usually like to hit quite flat and go for it and owuld like a rqauet which gives me even more control ? i have a pro staff but am looking towards maybe a Yonex or Babolat

Belgium = Best
Dec 26th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Wilson :)

Glenn
Dec 26th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by SM
jacs, my raQUET has the rollers to and i doubt they do anything ? my restringer says that they make my strings break quicker?

all this raquet talk has got me thinking of getting another one...but im not sure what would suit me and this is the approriate thread ;). i usually like to hit quite flat and go for it and owuld like a rqauet which gives me even more control ? i have a pro staff but am looking towards maybe a Yonex or Babolat

I would say the Yonex MP Tour-1 98.
It's the flattest hitting Yonex racquet.
You shouldn't go for a Babolat if you're a flat powerhitter.
If you can find this Yonex, I would suggest you test it and see how it suits you.
I believe Lleyton Hewitt uses this racquet too, this one or the standard version (Yonex MP Tour-1 90).

TennisWarehouse:

Summary
The MP Tour-1 98 should find an even larger audience than the 90 square-inch version. It delivers similar power, control, spin and comfort. The slightly larger head does provide a greater margin of error, making it more user-friendly to "mere mortals". Best suited for 4.5+ players wanting a hefty, yet maneuverable racquet with a slightly dampened feel. Test-drive one yourself through our mail-order demo program.

http://av.tennis-warehouse.com/big/MPT1-big.jpg

vutt
Dec 26th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Prince

franzit
Dec 26th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Babolat pure drive team (same as Moya)

gorecki
Dec 26th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Yonex Pro Rd-70 Long
[formerly used by Hingis/Kournikova/Zvereva...]

i like it so much i bought another two @ warehouse price since they stopped production of this model.

RYNJ
Dec 26th, 2002, 04:00 PM
for beginners I would suggest to use the Hyper Hammers, but as you get better you have to switch to a players racket because the Hyper Hammers if you dont switch you will regret later on.

paul_masterton
Dec 26th, 2002, 08:18 PM
i've been switching between a Volkl and a Wilson Ultra (lol, i know) but really need a new racket. Can anyone help?

I am generally crap to put it bluntly. Most of my shots drop a bit short unless i really whack them, but i am too lazy to do it all the time. I don't feel at all comfortable on teh backhand side, partially because i dont trust my racket that it will go where i want it to.

Basically i need something heavy-ish, (but not too heavy coz i'ma weakling ;)) larger sweet-spot which adds power WITHOUT loosing control. My accuracy is borderline at the moment and i want to keep it that way.

I dont ahve alot to spend either, so something cheapish would eb nice. But if you think there is something perfect which is a tad costly then reccomend it to.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Glenn
Dec 26th, 2002, 08:20 PM
LOL, might as well do some research for you too I guess.

Glenn
Dec 26th, 2002, 08:36 PM
Paul, for you there's the Prince Triple Threat Scream.
It's known for it's deep shots, even when you're not hitting your hardest, and has great control and weighs a tad more than average.
It's also pretty cheap at 99$.

Here's the TennisWarehouse review:

The winner of Tennis Magazine's Editors' Choice Award, the Prince Triple Threat Scream is a 'tweener racquet best suited for intermediate to lower advanced players seeking a quality blend of control and power. Most noticeable, besides the yellow and black color combination, is the use of Triple Threat technology. Triple Threat is a weighting system that promotes balance and stability with a Triple Braid of woven titanium, copper and carbon that's placed in three primary racquet locations: 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock and in the bottom of the handle. Benefits include a wider reaching sweetspot and less twisting on off-center shots.

http://av.tennis-warehouse.com/big/TTSCRM-big.jpg

Looks quite good too doesn't it? ;)

paul_masterton
Dec 26th, 2002, 09:37 PM
its gorgeous, lol!

Thanks Glenn :D

I like my Volkl for some reason, i've noticed alot of female players around 400-800 use it. Anyone know why?

V.Melb
Dec 27th, 2002, 01:33 AM
Glenn. I agree. the Zylon 360 pure power is initally very difficualt to control beacuse its quite powerful. But did you not find the frame a bit heavy? this helped me to control my shots because i was not swinging the raquet too freely. Also it plays wonderfully with topspin....... but if i try andf take a big swing at the ball .....or go for too much power the ball hits the back fence! so it 'forces' me to play with control.....this in turn, helped me greatly improve consistency in my game.

o0O0o
Dec 27th, 2002, 01:48 AM
I vary between the different models of Prince Triple Threats. (The Sports Authority always has them for 50% off, so I often spend $90 instead of $180. Oh hell yea!)

Sam L
Dec 28th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Glenn, thanks for the advice, I will look out for it. Steve, you're right, I'm not going with Wilson anymore. I will look for a Babolat one and something with a heavier frame and weight :)

Sam L
Feb 4th, 2003, 02:10 AM
I ended up getting a Babolat Pure Control Team one :) It's really good and I like the feel. Initially I had difficulty with the grip but I'm used to it now. I actually tried out a few rackets and seriously considered a Dunlop one, I forget which model but the frame was too small so it picked Babolat instead.

I also saw a Fischer one which was alright but not for me.

Midnite Surfer
Feb 4th, 2003, 02:13 AM
I use a Spalding 250 Pro. Its heavy as hell. But I'm a big guy and I generate my own pace.

Sam L
Feb 4th, 2003, 02:15 AM
I have never heard of that brand before :eek: how heavy is it?

My current one is 320grams.

Midnite Surfer
Feb 4th, 2003, 02:45 AM
They no longer make it. I bought two of them from a pro in Florida. You know I don't know the exact weight but I'll see if I can find out.

Leena
Feb 4th, 2003, 02:46 AM
I use the Wilson Hyper Hammer... my trainer said "This is the best racket for power hitting" and I got it. It was worth it too, because before the hardest I could hit my serve was 105 mph... and I reached 119 with that racket. The rest of my still sucks though... oh well.

Midnite Surfer
Feb 4th, 2003, 02:51 AM
OK I did my research. It weighs 365gms. I guess I should have just edited my first post but who cares. I was so excited that someone was asking about my racquet. I loooove my racquet! :hearts:

Sam L
Feb 4th, 2003, 03:03 AM
Well no wonder I haven't heard of it, they don't make it anymore :p

I have never used old heavy racquets. Actually I did have a very old one when i was young. It a head one and had a tiny tiny head size. LOL

365gm is a lot I guess. Come to think of it I think the heaviest racquets I could find were like 340gm that's it. I'm not sure :)

Midnite Surfer
Feb 4th, 2003, 03:12 AM
Yeah I was practicing with the this guy and he let me use his stick. I fell in love with it and bought two unused ones of of him. The one I had before that was a Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3. It was too light for me so I had to weight it. But once you weight the racquet its hard to get the balance just right. I like the Spalding because the weight is perfect for me and the balance is great for when I'm at the net.

Midnite Surfer
Feb 4th, 2003, 04:09 AM
I included a pic of my racquet. Ain't it purty? :D

Sam L
Feb 5th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Hey Midnite cool racquet! :)

SM
Feb 6th, 2003, 04:36 AM
Currently using two raquets:
1) My control raquet = Hypercarbon prostaff 7.6 strung at 65 lb
2) My power raquet = Prince triplethreat SCREAM (midplus) at 60 lb

its good totally difft raquets cos if im tentative i can switch to the Prince , or if im swinging for fences a la Stevenson then theres always the Wilson to calm me down ::cool:

Midnite Surfer
Feb 6th, 2003, 06:01 AM
Thanks Sam. I had a great hit with it today.

Scorch
Feb 6th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by gorecki
Yonex Pro Rd-70 Long
[formerly used by Hingis/Kournikova/Zvereva...]

i like it so much i bought another two @ warehouse price since they stopped production of this model.

Hey I use that racket too!! (the 105 sq inch)

I have never known anyone else to use it! It is the only racket which allows me to serve well.

I love it but cannot find any more:sad:

Do you know any newer racket which will be similar in power and control?

SM
Feb 6th, 2003, 08:18 AM
The prince scream looks pretty and i think its a great raquet but it really depends on the style you use. For me, it suits me better than my wilson in some ways and worse in others.

Better = more depth on serve , groundies and slice. So it helps when im in defensive mode.

Worse = the raquet is too light IMO at 285g.(anything below 300g is too light). I think it kinda forced me in to abbreviating some of my strokes cos of the easier pace. I used my Wilson the other day and was able to crack my c.c forehand for the first time since i switched. So id say it doesnt help when im in offensive mode ;).

So if youre someone who likes to take winding swings and go for it, steer clear of it. If your more of a counter-puncher and want depth/consistency it does the job and has decent feel. It would fit a broad range of people within medium-advanced category.

nice to see u got the heavier frame sam seeing ur hammer is too light IMO. i didnt like it at all ;)

tiger
Feb 6th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Head - the only one racquet to use

argentino
Feb 6th, 2003, 12:30 PM
yonex
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

yonex isometric graflex ti or similar i don't remember the name :o , the strings are "donnay utimate titanium"60 lbs the colour of the strings are similars to the page...are very cool but only some days ago i have this strings
i love my racquet!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: she ('cause have life) do to me 2 tournament, a master final and another semifinal :drool: :bounce: :eek: incredible!!!!!

Keith
Feb 6th, 2003, 01:40 PM
I use Prince...the rebel, like Jennifer... Its interesting that she is getting a new racket!