PDA

View Full Version : 'Friends' to Stay On Another Season

tennisIlove09
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:16 AM
'Friends' to Stay On Another Season
Sat Dec 21, 9:10 PM ET

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer

NEW YORK - NBC's six "Friends" aren't breaking up yet. The network announced a surprise agreement Saturday to keep the top-rated comedy on the air for another season.

No details of the agreement between the network, Warner Brothers Productions, Bright/Kauffman/Crane Productions and the six lead actors were released. But NBC spokeswoman Rebecca Marks confirmed the deal had been sealed early Saturday morning.

It was a welcome holiday present for NBC, which counts on "Friends" to kick off its powerful Thursday night lineup each week.

Jennifer Aniston (news), Courteney Cox (news), Lisa Kudrow (news), Matt LeBlanc (news), Matthew Perry (news) and David Schwimmer (news) are all being paid $1 million per episode this season.

When NBC announced in February that "Friends" would be back this fall, it was said then that this would be the final year.

But in the months to follow, NBC Entertainment President Jeff Zucker made certain the door remained open to a return. He consistently refused, in speaking publicly, to rule out the chance it would return.

Some of the actors had also seemed warm to the idea. Kudrow, interviewed on NBC's "Today" show in recent weeks, noted how the sitcom filming schedule, with its regular hours, was ideal for a young mother.

Although Aniston drew strong reviews last summer for her performance in "The Good Girl," none of the actors has established a solid career in the movies.

The last two seasons have been a revival for the series. It drew strong reviews last season and was the No. 1 series of the year in the Nielsen Media Research rankings. "Friends" also won its first Emmy as best comedy series and Aniston won for best comedy actress.

The series is generally the highest-rated comedy this year, although the CBS drama, "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (news - Y! TV)," has supplanted it as television's most popular show.

This season Aniston's character, Rachel, is dealing with motherhood after giving birth last May. Cox and Perry's characters, a married couple, had to deal with a separation when his job transferred him to the Midwest.

Although the same thing was said when February's agreement was reached, Marks said Saturday that "I'm sure it will be the final year."

The series of six close-knit pals living in New York City spawned many imitators at its initial success — including on NBC — but no show could match its formula for success. The show is already being seen frequently in syndication.

:D :bounce: :D

anton
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:18 AM
:rolleyes:

baddy2heads
Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:45 AM
wont they all just bugger off

2ace2
Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:49 AM
Yeah, great! It's the best comedy series in the world!!! :D:D:D

tennisIlove09
Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by 2ace2
Yeah, great! It's the best comedy series in the world!!! :D:D:D

I agree!! LONG LIVE FRIENDS

tfannis
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by baddy2heads
wont they all just bugger off

Noho :D ..why should they...millions of people love to watch the best comedy series ever made ...and I'm one of them :bounce:

Woohoo!!:D

jrm
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:30 AM
the only reason why friends are still on is beacause no one has made a sucessful transition to big screen (plus 1 million dollars per episode, but who's counting :rolleyes: ). The plot - it's quite obvious they do not know what to do - for the last 4 seasons

anton
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:31 AM
i like lisa kudrow. the other people are very, very anoying!!! especially brad pitts wife

baddy2heads
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:33 AM
i used to like the show don't watch it any more but don't you think they should be a bit more decisive, they say every year, THIS, NO QUESTION, ON MY MOTHER'S LIFE, WILL BE THE LAST SERIES, and then the checkbook comes out....

tfannis
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by anton
i like lisa kudrow. the other people are very, very anoying!!! especially brad pitts wife

Rachel...she's the best :D :bounce:

per4ever
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:50 AM
I have to agree with Lisa Kudrow...Phoebe is sooooooo cool :D

Nicoleke
Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:00 AM
My " Friends " favourite character is Monica. I' m a little bit like her :) :D :) :D ;) lol !!!!!

anton
Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:00 AM
that one guy gave an outstanding performance in the Nazi movie with that dude from the Client. What is the name of that movie?

the boy is a genious and his neighbor is hidding out next door from his nzai past.

anton
Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:02 AM
he plays a high scholl counselor

anton
Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:17 AM
I got it!

"Apt Pupil" is the name of the movie. the guy from friends does a great job as a high school counselor in this movie.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:27 AM
wooohoooo!!!!!! :bounce:

Monica_Rules
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:28 AM
Oh god i'd wish they just end it with season 9 its getting quite ridiculas now!

Shuji Shuriken
Dec 22nd, 2002, 12:16 PM
Hell yeah...i'd die without Friends and Dharma and Greg. Woohoo. Long live Phoebe. Phoebe is the best!!!!!!!!!!

Venus Forever
Dec 22nd, 2002, 02:14 PM
THANK GOD!!

I LOVE F*R*I*E*N*D*S!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

King Aaron
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:41 PM
:bounce:

Flappie
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:15 PM
Hmmm, I think Friends should have stopped after season 9, coz I think the current episodes are a little bit lame, and this means I'll probably have to wait longer till Ross & Rachel finally get together! :p

Monica_Rules
Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:42 PM
Its stupid i love friends but its just not funny anymore Phoebe is loosing her funny side chandler just gets more camp with every series!

Martian Martin
Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:05 AM
I'm surprised by this, but pleased by the news!!! :)

Cersei
Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:11 AM
hehe :D i'm kinda happy with that news :D and Lisa Kudrow rocks lol

Kiwi_Boy
Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:15 AM
yay!-i love my pheobes! :bounce:

Richie77
Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:59 AM
Cool! :D

tennisIlove09
Dec 23rd, 2002, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by EZ
Hmmm, I think Friends should have stopped after season 9, coz I think the current episodes are a little bit lame, and this means I'll probably have to wait longer till Ross & Rachel finally get together! :p

Really? I think the current episodes are some of the best ever. They are so funny. I didn't know I could laugh so much in a half hour