PDA

View Full Version : Ignored, resented jeered and mocked - a youngest sister moves coolly to greatness

GogoGirl
Dec 21st, 2002, 01:44 PM
Very dedicated to the point article.

"WAY TO GO - SERENA"

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/tennis/comment/0,10070,864094,00.html

Ignored, resented jeered and mocked - a youngest sister moves coolly to greatness

People of the year

Caryl Phillips
Saturday December 21, 2002
The Guardian

The narrative of triumph over adversity is deeply inscribed into the consciousness of the United States, and tales of sporting endeavour generally subscribe to this obsession. Jim Thorpe, Little Mo Connolly, Billy Mills, and in recent times Lance Armstrong, are just a handful of American sporting legends whose "stories" involve their overcoming obstacles en route to their enshrinement as national icons.

I would argue that during the past year the name of Serena Williams could legitimately be added to this list, although her status as a national icon remains debatable. Despite her phenomenal 2002, she is, to many observers, little more than one half of the "problematic" Williams sisters who have "taken over" women's tennis with their power and their attitude. However, such a view belittles her achievements.

Serena Williams was born in Saginaw, Michigan in 1981, the youngest of five girls. Lyndrea, Isha, Yetunde and Venus preceded her, and soon after her birth her parents, Richard and Oracene, relocated to Compton, a rough suburb of Los Angeles. Under the guidance of their father, Venus and Serena were groomed on crowded public courts to become tennis players.

Although they both achieved early success, Richard was determined that his daughters would not suffer burn-out like Tracey Austin or Andrea Jaeger. They were encouraged to concentrate on their studies and participation in tournaments was strictly limited. Whenever they did compete the results were predictable. Both girls were extraordinarily talented, and once they turned professional they began to rise quickly through the national, and then the world rankings.

In 1999, a 17-year old Serena Williams became the first of the sisters to secure a Grand Slam title when she won the US Open. However, the media story was not so much Serena's win, but Venus's disappointment. The older sister had been expected to triumph first, but Serena's meteoric ascent surprised everybody. The following year Venus asserted herself, capturing both Wimbledon and the US Open, a feat that she repeated in 2001. Although Serena failed to win any Grand Slam titles in 2000 or 2001, her play continued to develop and it became increasingly clear that, of the two sisters, Serena had the better all-round game. The question was, did she possess the mental toughness and the desire to win?

2002 began with Serena withdrawing from the semi-finals of the Australian Open having twisted an ankle. However, after this initial setback, she won each of the remaining three Grand Slam titles and is ending 2002 as the world's No1 player. One might well ask, what is so remarkable about this? In modern times both Steffi Graf and Martina Navratilova have matched Serena's feat. In fact, in 1988 Graf not only won the Grand Slam of the Australian, French, Wimbledon and the US Open titles, she also won Olympic gold. It was a feat of such sporting audacity that even today Graf's 1988 season remains under-appreciated.

But Serena Williams's 2002 deserves to be mentioned in the same company as this achievement. In order to understand the magnitude of what Serena Williams has achieved we need to go back not to Graf nor to Navratilova, nor to comparisons with any other players past or present, but we have to return to the American narrative of triumph over adversity.

Tennis, like golf, is a sport whose gated boundaries have been defined by race and class. When the "commoner" Fred Perry won his first Wimbledon in 1934, he overheard a committee member of the All-England Club apologise to the Australian runner-up; "This was one day when the best man didn't win." Although Perry was an Englishman, the committee man was embarrassed that somebody as "uncouth" as Perry, the son of a Labour MP, should have secured victory on Wimbledon's patrician grass.

The patrons of tennis are almost always well-heeled, often royal, and there is an air of social exclusivity which pervades the sport. It is also a sport in which, at the top level, one can usually count the number of non-white participants on the fingers of one hand. The exceptions - Althea Gibson, Evonne Goolagong, Arthur Ashe - have been distinguished as much by their graceful accommodation of the tennis world's questionable mores, as they have by their tennis excellence.

Serena Williams is a young black female of decidedly blue-collar parents who entered the sport without making any self-deferential gestures or apologetic nods towards the "keepers of the game". Her parents knew that if their daughter were to successfully participate in the lily-white world of tennis then her talent would have to be such that it demanded respect, for most would look askance at their gawky black child. Richard and Oracene dared to imagine their daughter in such an environment, but they also knew that in order for Serena to survive talent alone would not suffice. They would have to arm her with a fierce self-confidence that some might interpret as arrogance, for they knew that she would be jeered, mocked, ignored and resented. And they were right.

En route to that first Grand Slam victory in 1999, Serena Williams was drawn against the former Wimbledon champion, Conchita Martinez. During this early- round match, I remember sitting courtside at Flushing Meadow and being appalled as the American crowd loudly cheered the Spaniard and booed one of their own. The following day the stories in the press made reference to the hostility that the "Williams sisters" had to endure, without acknowledging that there was only one sister on court at the time. This clumsiness was compounded by a reluctance to mention the world "racism". In fact, her father aside, only Martina Navratilova has had the courage to come right out and call it what it is.

It is not as though the US likes its sporting heroes to be shy retiring flowers; witness John McEnroe, or the current bad boy, Andy Roddick. It's just that if they are perceived to be full of "attitude" and black then they are of course, to the tennis cognoscenti, as "uncouth" as the working-class Fred Perry was in an earlier era. I watched the 18-year-old Serena Williams beat Martinez, and the manner in which the young girl handled the crowd spoke volumes not only about her maturity, but about the vision and foresight of her parents.

Of all Serena Williams's achievements in 2002, perhaps the one that will have the most lasting impact is the simple, but ultimately complex, gesture of her finding the strength to step out of the shadow of her older sibling. When Serena beat Martina Hingis and won the US Open title in 1999 - thus becoming the first of the sisters to win a Grand Slam title - the thunderstruck look on Venus's face left onlookers in no doubt as to how deep and dark that sisterly shadow really is. During the course of this year, having beaten her sister in three consecutive Grand Slam finals, it is clear that Serena no longer lives in anyone's shadow.

And what of the year ahead? Well, immediately there is the Australian Open in January, and should Serena win she will be the first player in 15 years to hold all four Grand Slam titles. She has already established herself as the most dominant player in the modern game, and her 21-year journey from the streets of Compton to the apex of the tennis world is in many ways a more remarkable story than that of Tiger Woods. En route she, like Woods, has had to negotiate the vagaries of race and class, but Tiger Woods has never had to suffer Americans cheering for foreigners to beat him, nor has he had to step out of the shadow of a talented and strong-willed older sibling. And, one should also remember that Tiger Woods is male.

Were Serena Williams a 21-year-old white American middle-class young man who had just won three Grand Slam titles in the space of a single year, she would be the most famous sports personality in America. Serena Williams knows precisely why she is not lauded in this manner, but inside she is smiling. After all, she is not playing in order to earn the kind of media attention and dollars that usually drives sportsmen and women. She has nothing against making money or receiving endorsements, but her father helped her to understand the realpolitik of American life before she had even entered her teens.

Like many African-Americans before her - Jesse Owens, Joe Louis, Jackie Robinson, Jim Brown - Serena Williams knows that her task is to quietly fulfil her destiny. Being overlooked and under-appreciated is just part of the deal. Being accused of being aloof or full of attitude is fine by her. Her eyes are fixed firmly on the prize. Around the corner lies greatness.

TeeRexx
Dec 21st, 2002, 02:12 PM
A great and very truthful article.
One may only imagine the hype that Roddick oor Capriati would have received if they had the skill to win THREE GS titles in one calendar year.

Regardless, those who are not small minded are fully cognizant of the accomplishments of SERENA and VENUS and what they have done for the sport of tennis in their short careers.

anton
Dec 21st, 2002, 02:13 PM
good article!

go serena!

"Topaz"
Dec 21st, 2002, 02:39 PM
Carry on, Serena!

Best wishes for Xtmas and the new year!
Same to Venus, Seles, Justine and the rest of the tour!

Volcana
Dec 21st, 2002, 03:31 PM
What really surprises me is that usual American voices on the board who say race has nothing to do with how Venus and/or Serena are treated haven't posted yet. Of course, this really hasn't been the fortnight in the States to deny there that are a lot of white supremacists still around.:)

Nothing like national exposure of a long history of white supremacist sympathies among members of the ruling party. Even better, members of the ruling party were condemning other members of the ruling party. Can't call it partisan politics.

Makes you wonder if Trent Lott has tickets to Indian Wells.:)

Celeste
Dec 21st, 2002, 03:47 PM
The endorsements she and Venus get belie this thought that they are not intensely popular. Lindsay Davenport, though never the holder of 3 Slams in one year, has been No. 1 many times and held two Slams at once. She makes a tiny fraction of Serena on endorsements and is far, far less popular, and always has been. Lindsay is white and grew up in "traditional" tennis fashion, i.e. she had money. Maybe a Slam-winning Jennifer in the early 90's could have been bigger than Serena is now. Due to race? Maybe. I have attended many, many matches over the years. I cannot believe for one second that Conchita Martinez was the crowd favorite over anyone on an American court, and certainly not in 1999 and certainly not over someone like Serena. Please! Tennis is not a huge sport here, and women's tennis even less.

Jakeev
Dec 21st, 2002, 05:23 PM
The author suggests that Serena gets her flack because she is a Black woman. So if she were a male she would not get that flack because Tiger Woods does not face that same dilema in his sport?

Hogwash........

GoDominique
Dec 21st, 2002, 05:38 PM
Not motivated to think too hard about the article right now, just 2 things:

'2002 began with Serena withdrawing from the semi-finals of the Australian Open having twisted an ankle.'

Um, I can't remember - who had the walkover over Serena, Martina or Jennifer ? :rolleyes:

'It is not as though the US likes its sporting heroes to be shy retiring flowers; witness John McEnroe, or the current bad boy, Andy Roddick.'

Comparing John to Andy ? :rolleyes: Andy is a drama queen, but 'the current bad boy' ? Please, that's ridiculous. He had that one outburst against Hewitt, that was it. That makes you wonder if the author knows much about the current tennis scene.

And I agree with Celeste about that match against Conchita - I can't remember Conchita being a crowd favourite in the USA. So the crowd were just for her because of hositility towards Serena ? I can't imagine that, and if it's true, I can just feel for American people that they have such ignorant countrymen.

leslie
Dec 21st, 2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Volcana
What really surprises me is that usual American voices on the board who say race has nothing to do with how Venus and/or Serena are treated haven't posted yet. Of course, this really hasn't been the fortnight in the States to deny there that are a lot of white supremacists still around.:)

Nothing like national exposure of a long history of white supremacist sympathies among members of the ruling party. Even better, members of the ruling party were condemning other members of the ruling party. Can't call it partisan politics.

Makes you wonder if Trent Lott has tickets to Indian Wells.:)

Volcana, you are so right. Where's everyone with their opinion they are all hiding because they know the article is so, so ture. The U.S. is the most racist and bigotry country any black person could live in. I have never seen such racism in all my life and ofcourse it is event towards the W/S when they play they white opponents just listen to the crowds and the commentators it's all there in colour.

vs1
Dec 21st, 2002, 09:39 PM
Great article. Very true (except that Serena withdrew at the Adidas Open and not the Oz Open).

I have a feeling Serena is going to STEP IT UP in 2003!!!

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 21st, 2002, 11:39 PM
Umm since when was Evonne Goolagong black?:rolleyes:

nuriboy
Dec 21st, 2002, 11:50 PM
In ī99 when Serena won the us open everybody expected her to become a major force, she didnīt. But this time I think she knows she can reach legend status if she keeps dominating. Thatīs why I think that next year it will be very hard for anybody to defeat Serena. We all saw what happened when sheīs really motivated!!

Sam L
Dec 21st, 2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by GogoGirl
Well, immediately there is the Australian Open in January, and should Serena win she will be the first player in 15 years to hold all four Grand Slam titles.

9 years. Steffi Graf held all just 9 years ago.

Anyway, great article but I'd rather that VENUS be achieving all this. Who knows, she just might next year.

nuriboy
Dec 22nd, 2002, 12:08 AM
What is it Sammy boy?! Donīt you like Serena any more??!!!

Colin B
Dec 22nd, 2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Bradshaw#1
Umm since when was Evonne Goolagong black?:rolleyes: Umm, the term used in the article is 'non-white'. Evonne Goolagong is, at least part, Australian Aboriginal.:rolleyes:

leslie
Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by nuriboy
In ī99 when Serena won the us open everybody expected her to become a major force, she didnīt. But this time I think she knows she can reach legend status if she keeps dominating. Thatīs why I think that next year it will be very hard for anybody to defeat Serena. We all saw what happened when sheīs really motivated!!

Not only that, Serena loves the publisity and the attention so ofcourse she is going to keep winning. I also see her winning the OZ and if she does not win it then V will.

Deira
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:22 AM
I'm telling y'all, I hope Venus and/or Serena write a book about their adventures on the tour and I hope they name names. I still can't get over the dirty drawers incident. Upper-class my ass ... no class is more like it.

Sam L
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by nuriboy
What is it Sammy boy?! Donīt you like Serena any more??!!!

Serena "Fur-girl" Wiliams? :rolleyes: No not really.

persond
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:57 AM
:) This article only reinforces what most of the Williams' fans have been saying all along. And yet, there are still those with blinders on who won't see beyond the noses on their faces and admit it to be so.!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And yes, most parents of color prepare their offspring for the challenges of living in a world of bigotry and racism. Venus and Serena are stronger and able to cope because of what Richard and Oracene instilled in them.:D :D :D :D

TeeRexx
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:59 AM
D - What are details of "dirty drawers" incident?

harloo
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:01 AM
I've never heard about the dirty draws incident. Good article though besides the few missteps along the way information wise. STAY STRONG RENA! DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO, AND DONT WORRY ABOUT THE DETRACTORS.:D

Serendy Willick
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:08 PM
What a great article (except for the discrepencies, of course). I hope Serena can move into greatness (Venus too) BTW, for the people disputing the Conchita claim, were you there? This person was there at the match.

PhoenixStorm
Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:19 PM
where are all the detractors whining about race being a non issue?

Scotso
Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:37 PM
:rolleyes:

sideout
Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:30 AM
Truer words were never spoken. Alot of the resentment directed towards Vee and Rena is based on race!!!!!! It's pretty sad in this day and age, but whatever! They're still kickin as* and taking names. Onward to the AO!

Crazy Canuck
Dec 23rd, 2002, 02:30 AM
If you can see past the several factual errors that this article makes (Serena withdrew from the Australian Open semis, no one holding all 4 slams for the past 15 years, how the author watched an "18 year old Serena beat Martinez" en route to her first slam title, among others), it's a nice article with a good message.

Out of curiosity though -for those of you wondering where the usual cast of characters in these types of threads are:

If they enter the threads and make somewhat naive comments, you bitch.

If they don't make naive comments, you still bitch.

I'm trying to see sense in this, but am failing.

Dawn Marie
Dec 23rd, 2002, 04:09 AM
Oh hell I've been stating things like this article mentioned since I first posted on the ole Sanex part 1 board.:)

This article is telling the truth, I am thankful that I get this article. I am also thankful that I understand and comprehend fellow fans of tennis and V@S, when they ask? "Where are the posters Now"? All that is being suggested is that SO MANY people in here say that racism in tennis no longer exist and when articles or other top players say the truth and said it does exist it just makes one wonder what do those people think about it now? Maybe they will at least admit that tennis is a lily white sport and racism is still in the sport. You can always tell the people who are in denile, those non williams fans are right in here. It never fails and Hi yah'll:)

Crazy Canuck
Dec 23rd, 2002, 04:11 AM
Reading over this again, I can't help but notice the reference to "Williams fans who have known this all along" - as if people who root for Seles or Amelie are unable to see the obvious.

I'd roll my eyes at you all, but that would just make me dizzy. I'd hate to miss the witty replies this will receive over something like that.

Dawn Marie
Dec 23rd, 2002, 04:30 AM
Nobody stated that Seles and Momo fans didn't know this all along as well.

People only stated that they knew this all along, especially those people who stated with words on SANEX part 1 about the tours racism. I know I was and still am one of em.

What I find baffling is that alot of posters in here are afraid to admit that the tour is racist but state their strong views loud and clear when homophobic remarks appear on the tour. I find those people as being so fake. I'm like dayum, don't be scurred.

Rebecca, I think Williams fans or tennis fans realize that it is not only Williams fans who have been understanding articles and points like this. Why would you suggest that alot of V@S thought it was only us that understood the point of this article?

FEARLESS VENUS RULEZ:):):):)

Crazy Canuck
Dec 23rd, 2002, 04:50 AM
What I find baffling is that alot of posters in here are afraid to admit that the tour is racist but state their strong views loud and clear when homophobic remarks appear on the tour. I find those people as being so fake. I'm like dayum, don't be scurred.

I agree that it's rather hmmm "silly", for lack of a better word.

It could perhaps be because they just aren't aware of racism on the tour, having not delt with it themsevles (as I have also not).

I like to think it is more ignorance on the matter (which I am sometimes as well, I am aware), as opposed to them just not caring.

anton
Dec 23rd, 2002, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by TeeRexx
D - What are details of "dirty drawers" incident?

somebody supposedly left some on venus' lockerdoor.

one other nasty thing that comes to mind is the "bump" from irina spirlea followed by irina naming venus as "the f#(k!n@ venus williams"

something else nasty was tracey austin asking steffi at wimbledon about her dads nude model girlfirend. i dont think stefffi ever was interviewd by tracey again was she?

and i hear venus and serena refuse to be interviewed by mary carillo bc they think she makes too many anti comments.

smart of venus to pick pam shriver as her wta mentor since pammy mostly says nice things about venus.

anton
Dec 23rd, 2002, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Rebecca
I agree that it's rather hmmm "silly", for lack of a better word.

It could perhaps be because they just aren't aware of racism on the tour, having not delt with it themsevles (as I have also not).

I like to think it is more ignorance on the matter (which I am sometimes as well, I am aware), as opposed to them just not caring.

does anybody believe that the french girls called alex steve "piece of sh## black girl"??

Crazy Canuck
Dec 23rd, 2002, 07:08 AM
What french girls? Source?

anton
Dec 23rd, 2002, 07:16 AM
i mean from wimbledon a few years ago alex gave a press conference and it was shut down by the WTA and then she and her mom moved down a little and gave another one where they said a french girl called her a piece of sh-- black girl. i think it was anne galle sidot or allexane ballerno(misspelled!!)

anyway alex and her mom were placed in a car and escorted off the grounds from what i hear. alex said that Elton John inspired her to speak out. Alex also siad sidot attacked her mom.

Samantha is SO funny. She said she "feared a Tonya Harding-type incident" :rolleyes: