PDA

View Full Version : Justine wants to play on gravel in Fed Cup

per4ever
Dec 21st, 2002, 01:28 PM
dutch article:
Geen Fed Cup in Bree ? 21/12/02
Justine Henin-Hardenne wil enkel deelnemen aan de Fed Cup als er op gravel gespeeld wordt. Daardoor is het mogelijk dat de Fed Cup toch niet doorgaat in de Expodroom in Bree.

Aanvankelijk was men er van uitgegaan dat de wedstrijden in de Fed Cup tegen Oostenrijk (van 25 tot 27 april 2003) gespeeld zouden worden op hardcourt, maar Justine Henin-Hardenne wil daar niet van weten.

Volgens organisator Bob Verbeeck kost het een smak geld om gravel te voorzien in de hal. Niet alleen moet men de hal een week langer huren, ook moet er een verzekering genomen worden tegen beschadigingsrisico van de vloer. Volgende week zou de beslissing vallen.

Kristof Meuwissen

translation:
No Fed Cup in Bree?
Justine Henin-Hardenne only wants to participate to the Fed Cup if they play on clay. Because of that it's possible that the Fed Cup won't be held in the Expodroom in Bree.

Initially they assumed that the matches in Fed Cup (25 to 27 april 2003) would be played on hardcourt, but Justine Henin-Hardenne objects.

According to organiser Bob Verbeeck it will cost a lot of money to provide clay in the Expodroom. Not only do they need to rent it for a week longer, they also have to take out an insurance for floordamage-risk. The decision will probably be made next week

Playing on hard courts can ruin her preparation.

auntie janie
Dec 21st, 2002, 01:33 PM
What is a gravel surface? Is that the same as Clay? :confused:

Wimanna
Dec 21st, 2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by janie
What is a gravel surface? Is that the same as Clay? :confused:

Yeah, gravel=clay ;)

per4ever
Dec 21st, 2002, 01:35 PM
hehe I changed it ;)

auntie janie
Dec 21st, 2002, 01:36 PM
LOL, thanks :D

I was picturing a tennis court of sharp little gray stones ... :D

per4ever
Dec 21st, 2002, 01:40 PM
lol janie...I guess that would be a very slow surface :o

auntie janie
Dec 21st, 2002, 01:45 PM
LOL
And painful! :eek:

Experimentee
Dec 21st, 2002, 01:48 PM
It would make sense even if it wasnt in the middle of the clay season, because both Kim and Justine are better on clay than hard, imo.

per4ever
Dec 21st, 2002, 01:49 PM
Kim is the best player on hardcourts in the world imo..so I wouldn't say she's better on clay

Nemesis
Dec 21st, 2002, 01:49 PM
I think JuJu is right. hey just wanted to organise it in Bree because it's Kim's home town. But it isn't ideal to organise it there for the time of the year. JuJu has to defend her title in Berlin.

Face it: Justine's great on clay, Kim's also quite good on clay and most other female Belgian tennis players are best on clay too. So why pick that stupid hard court whereon JuJu sucks. Half of the season is already on hard court (indoors or outdoors).

The cost? Why would they do so much efforts to make Kim play (she wanted the organisation to be more professional) and not for JuJu??? She has equal rights.

Organise it somewhere else, please!!! Or just spend a lot of money ... ;)

King Aaron
Dec 21st, 2002, 01:55 PM
She's making the right choice. Playing hardcourt in the middle of the clay season is suicide

Come-on-kim
Dec 21st, 2002, 02:38 PM
I hope they'll find a solution!! BTW, putting clay in the Expodome will cost too much for a first round!!!!!!

Experimentee
Dec 21st, 2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by per4ever
Kim is the best player on hardcourts in the world imo..so I wouldn't say she's better on clay

You would rate Kim on hardcourts above Venus Serena and Davenport? I think if you look at Kims results including FO final and win at Hamburg this year clay is her best surface, but indoor hardcourts is good as well.

Venus Forever
Dec 21st, 2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by janie
LOL, thanks :D

I was picturing a tennis court of sharp little gray stones ... :D

I thought the same thing...LoL:D

arn
Dec 21st, 2002, 02:52 PM
Justine is right. But I wonder what they will do. Kim doesn't want to play in the Leopoldclub where all Davis/Fedcup matches on clay are played in belgium because she says the organistion is poor. That's why she wanted to play in bree, her hometown.

So what is a good solution?? I'm sure Kim doesn't mind playing on clay.

Mercury Rising
Dec 21st, 2002, 03:00 PM
Why do we say gravel? It's an English word right? So why is it clay? Ok, off-topic, but I wonder...

I agree with justine to play on eh clay. It's the season anyway.

Lynx
Dec 21st, 2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Noodles
Why do we say gravel? It's an English word right? So why is it clay? Ok, off-topic, but I wonder...
I was wondering the same thing: why do we say "gravel"? In French it used to be "brique pilée" (= "grinded brick" = "gemalen baksteen") - so where does gravel comes from?

Sure, Justine has a point.

Lynx
Dec 21st, 2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Nemesis
Why would they do so much efforts to make Kim play (she wanted the organisation to be more professional) and not for JuJu??? She has equal rights.
Come on, Nemesis! The organisation DID suck last year; Kim's manager (Lei) just demanded a better one, and he was right. It was in everyone's interest; so it does respect Justines rights too... :)

auntie janie
Dec 21st, 2002, 03:28 PM
It should be held on clay for the benefit of all. It's crazy switching surfaces more often than is already required on Tour.

Lynx
Dec 21st, 2002, 03:33 PM
I didn't disagree, Janie.
I just was put off a bit by Nemesis' tone. It sounded bitter...

Come-on-kim
Dec 21st, 2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Lynx
I was wondering the same thing: why do we say "gravel"? In French it used to be "brique pilée" (= "grinded brick" = "gemalen baksteen") - so where does gravel comes from?

Sure, Justine has a point.

Brique pilée is not the most used word for clay!!!!

In French we say "Terre Battue"

Lynx
Dec 21st, 2002, 05:10 PM
Welllll... some of us used to say "brique pilée" in erm... Flemish (dialect); since it's French I thought it was the French term for it. :o :o

Nemesis
Dec 21st, 2002, 05:20 PM
Lynx, all I meant was that they should listen to Justine as they listened to Kim. OK, the organisation could have been better, I don't deny that. But now the organisation gives the feeling that they won't do it, just because it's too expensive.

They moved the Fed Cup to Bree (Kim's home base, because Lei gave the organisation the tip to do it there). Why couldn't they move it to another place (other than Ukkel) because all players would then be able to play on clay. It is important for the following weeks of Kim as for Justine as for Els and Laurence/Kirsten/Elke. You don't just have to orgainse it in Bree because it's Kim's home base. If it isn't possible, then it isn't. Or do they want again early round exits for Justine and Kim in Roland Garros & warming-up tourneys and this time by the stupid village-sentiment in stead of illness?

Ted of Teds Tennis
Dec 21st, 2002, 06:23 PM
Why doesn't Kim or Justine have a tennis court built at her house, and they can play there? :D

gentenaire
Dec 21st, 2002, 06:51 PM
Kim does have a court built at her house and it's a clay court to boot. I don't know where they'd put the cameras or the crowd though;)

Bigkimfan
Dec 21st, 2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Ted of Teds Tennis
Why doesn't Kim or Justine have a tennis court built at her house, and they can play there? :D

I think Kim has one....;)

Come on Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

spiceboy
Dec 22nd, 2002, 02:38 AM
Pfffff @ Justine

But does she really wants to play for her country? is that a real menace? Clay or I will stay away? Get lost JHH

jujufan
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:12 AM
Oh spiceboy ...

Justine was the first to sign up, Kim (her father) was much more demanding ...
He (kim's father) asked for a good organisation, money, ... You say and he has asked for it.

Justine has a point. all the tournaments around that period are played on Clay so why playing on another court and have to addapt again to clay and loose because you had to addapt ...

So what Justine is asking isn't that much.

Nemesis
Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:29 AM
It's official that the Fed Cup will be held in the Expodroom in Bree.

Now the question is: do they want to spend money to keep Justine in the Fed Cup? If not, I think I'll be mad on the organisation forever ...

Spiceboy - I think Justine has a valid point. The fact that Kim was saying that the organisation wasn't good enough for her & her fans was really haughty. OK, the organisation may have been better, but that isn't a problem for your further tournaments. Justine's point isn't even egoïstic. Kim and the other players will also benefit from her demand. A better organisation too, but less direct.

per4ever
Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:32 AM
hmmm if Kim is smart, then she'll ask for clay too...

Glenn
Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:42 AM
Yea, exactly.
It would be funny if Justine demanded grass... because she's the only Belgian player that's good on grass! Ha!

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:44 AM
I'd let Justine play on whatever she likes even if its a bouncy castle ;)

spiceboy
Dec 22nd, 2002, 12:10 PM
I'm not saying she is not right...of course clay would be the most logical choice...I just don't like her attitude of "It's clay or I stay away"

I'm sorry guys, but having had Arantxa & Conchita so many years so eager to play I can't feel in any other way...

nuriboy
Dec 22nd, 2002, 12:41 PM
I can understand why Justine wants it to be clay. Clay is her best surface and I think itīs Kimīs can play on clay too( her only slam final RG). Iīm starting to get fed up with with Clijsterīs dadīs attitude!! Whatīs wrong with this man?! Always whining, whining about money money money!! Get a life man!!

arn
Dec 22nd, 2002, 12:54 PM
It's not about money! Even Lei said in the papers Kim didn't care about the money and she loves playing for Belgium, it's only the organisation that was very very poor, and didn't suport a professional way of playing.

Nemesis
Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:18 PM
It's clay or I stay away

Remember that Clijsters also said that she would stau away if the organisation didn't ameliorate. So why can't Justine give conditions too?

Didn't Clijsters & Henin also refuse to play the quarters of Fed Cup 2002 because it was on clay and the week after it the American hard court season was starting? Clijsters had to defend a hardcourt title the next week and she's best on hardcourt, so why would she leave it. Now it is the same with Justine. She has to defend her Berlin title two weeks after it, so she needs to play on clay. The only difference is that now Belgium has the choice of surface. In 2002 Italy chose the surface. Belgium can change the surface this time.

Don't demonize Justine, please.

Come-on-kim
Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by nuriboy
I can understand why Justine wants it to be clay. Clay is her best surface and I think itīs Kimīs can play on clay too( her only slam final RG). Iīm starting to get fed up with with Clijsterīs dadīs attitude!! Whatīs wrong with this man?! Always whining, whining about money money money!! Get a life man!!

No, not at all I think!!!

Not money, money, money!!

For example, he receives a lot of offers of sponsors but he refuses all the time!!

He say that Kim has enought sponsors!! (Babolat, Fila, Sanex, Mitsubishi, Belgacom and Siemens)

Look at Justine for example: (La Région Wallonne, Sanex, Wilson, Le Coq Sportif, Belgacom, Siemens, Rolex, Danette)!

So it shows that Kim and her father are not at all looking for money!!

Nemesis
Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:37 PM
Because her father is already rich (ex-footballer for the national team), Kim has always needed less sponsers then Justine. Remember that Justine hasn't got almost any contact with her family so she needed a lot of sponsers to launch her into the world of tennis. Also: Kim has the number one of the male tennis circuit as a boyfriend and Justine has a simple tennis tutor a husband.

You simply can't compare their situation. I think both have enough money, but Kim looks to the more beneficial economic enviroments of a country and Justine wants to stay in the country she's attached to, no matter if she gets more "poor" by that. And the fact hat he married a Belgian and Kim will probably marry an Australian also plays a role in the choice they make.

PS don't demonize Kim & her father either ;)

nuriboy
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:51 PM
Nemesis this isnīt about demonizing. In my opinion you donīt change nationality just for tax purposes!! I mean you can live abroad if you want, but if you change nationality you canīt play anymore for the country that gave you the OPPORTUNITY!!! to play tennis!! That is a judas-like action!!

Lynx
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:48 PM
Hello nuriboy - who is changing nationality? Did I miss something? :confused:

Oh, wait - you're not going on about that old Kim thing, are you? Because otherwise someone - me in this case, alas - will have to explain for the nth time that nobody from the Clijsters family - not one member, and least of all Kim - has ever EVER said she was even CONSIDERING changing nationality. On the contrary, she - and others from her entourage - have always ALWAYS said that she did NOT intend to change nationality anytime soon.

Even evil Lei - a good man and a great soccer player in his time - only said that he had received an invitation of the Australian tax people to negotiate... and that he would be a bad manager if he wouldn't look at all the angles for Kim's sake. Which he would've been.

But Kim is staying Belgian, as long as she'll be playing tennis :bounce: - even if you seem to hope (??) she won't! :D

"Always whining about money?" :confused:

"Get a life, man?" I bet ya ten to one he's got a much better life than you! (Or me btw :sad: )

nuriboy
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:53 PM
Ok dan Lynx!! I donīt want her to become australian either ( canvas wouldnīt show the matches anymore!)Hhehehehehe!!!

Lynx
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:59 PM
:D

~|Naomi|~
Dec 23rd, 2002, 05:43 AM
Actually I think Henin is trying to be bigger than the team in this instance, she has said unless it is clay she won't play. All Kim said was she wanted better organisation and security the whole team would of benefited from that not just Kim and I can understand Kim wanting better security afterall her dad said he had to speak to the police because of things that had been happening!

Nemesis
Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:54 AM
Kim also said that she wanted to play under a better organisation or else she probably wouldn't participate ... Justine was the first to sign up because she thought it was on clay in Ukkel. Now the location has changed I think it's is justified to ask for clay in stead of hard court. By the demand of Kim there are other expectations for Justine, so the-first-to-sign-up may ask to fulfil her conditions too, I think. She has to be threathening, else she don't get her demands.

Justine bigger than the team? If Kim doesn't support Justine in her demand, I think that it's rather egoïstic of her then. But I'm almost sure she and the other players support Justine too.

BTW - why would Kim refuse to play on clay when the the hard court season starts and why wouldn't she be willing to play on hard court when the clay season starts? Because it's in her home-village. But it ain't Justine's village, so she is firm and as she refused to play on clay against Italy, she refuses to play on hard court against Austria. Isn't that logical?

So kim&lleytonrule, your quotes are unjustified.

josefien
Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:49 AM
I also agree with Justine. She may also stand up for her rights, and she is making a point wanting to play on clay.

gentenaire
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:08 AM
I was in Ukkel last year and I have to agree with Kim, that was not a good location. I understand Justine's point too though.

Nuriboy, check the website www.clijsterskim.be, there's an article there about the whole nationality/tax issue. It's clear that Kim never considered changing nationality, certainly not for tax reasons.

Lynx
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:40 AM
What bugs me about this whole issue is that, now that Justine is asking for clay (rightly so, none here have said otherwise) "OR ELSE", nobody is booing her.

On the contrary, a few people here use Justine's demand to attack Kim's father (but indirectly also Kim in a sneaky kind of way) because they have demanded a better organization - also rightly so, and for the good of every player. They even attack them again for this old, boring nationality thing! :(

I'm not saying Justine should be booed - but why should Kim be?
There are clearly two standards here. I feel a lot of animostity coming from Justine-fans, and I honestly wonder why. Is it because Kim is by far the better player right now? Jealousy?? :confused:

Guys - we have TWO wonderful female players in Belgium :D , with a total different style and personality (shows how rich we are!!) - so let's honour both. A lot of other countries are blue with envy. Let's coddle both players and enjoy our moments of glory - because I fear they won't be coming back, ever.

nuriboy
Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:17 PM
Thank you Begging.........but it doesnīt open. Server is down or something??!!

I also think that Kim has to support Justine in this, because she dropped her once already. Remember how Kim prefered to go watch Leyton play than to attend Justineīs wedding?! Not tasteful in my opinion!!

Lynx
Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:52 PM
nuriboy, Kim and Justine are two totally different people. They're colleagues, I'm pretty sure they respect each other, but I very much doubt they are, or ever were, close friends.

I know Kim not going at Justine's wedding has pissed off a lot of people who haven't the right to be pissed off in the first place. :(
We don't know the first thing of the private life off those two women. Justine didn't seem to mind Kim staying away - so why should you?

It's none of our business - so let's discuss some tennis. :)

Wimanna
Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:56 PM
I agree with the last 2 post of Lynx...!!!!

josefien
Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:57 PM
Nuriboy, Kim didn't went to see Lleyton play, she waited for him for hours at the airport.
She was planned to go to Justine's wedding, but she would have been overwhelmed by the attention of the press all the time for winning the Masters, and it was Justine who deserved the attention that day...
So I think Kim took a wise decision by not going, for hers and Justine's good.

Josh
Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:59 PM
You know Lynx, it also goes the other way. When Justine makes demand she's being "bitchy" or "thinking she is bigger than the team". When Kim (or Lei) makes demands it's all good cause it's in the interest of the whole team cause we all know Kim is holier than the Virgin Mary. ;)

The Crow
Dec 23rd, 2002, 01:03 PM
Oh oh a Juju-fans-Kim fans fight and I wasn't here :sad: ;)

It's clear that FED-cup is not the most important tourney of the year. So, I think it's only fair that players have a (big) say in the location, the surface, ... And their attitude "it has to be so, or I'm not participating" is just straight-forward. It isn't just a threat, they mean it and they say it how it is. Simple.

The Crow
Dec 23rd, 2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Lynx
nuriboy, Kim and Justine are two totally different people. They're colleagues, I'm pretty sure they respect each other, but I very much doubt they are, or ever were, close friends.

I know Kim not going at Justine's wedding has pissed off a lot of people who haven't the right to be pissed off in the first place. :(
We don't know the first thing of the private life off those two women. Justine didn't seem to mind Kim staying away - so why should you?

It's none of our business - so let's discuss some tennis. :)

I totally agree.

nuriboy
Dec 23rd, 2002, 01:13 PM
Ok dan! I thought they were good friends, but if that isnīt the case.....I can see a point in that winning the masters thing too! But youīre right....if Justine didnīt mind why should we?!

Lynx
Dec 23rd, 2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Josh
You know Lynx, it also goes the other way. When Justine makes demand she's being "bitchy" or "thinking she is bigger than the team". When Kim (or Lei) makes demands it's all good cause it's in the interest of the whole team cause we all know Kim is holier than the Virgin Mary. ;) Josh, I searched the thread twice to find the poster who called Justine "bitchy". Didn't find him. Could you point him out to me, please - then I'll attack him for ya.

Yes, kim&lleytonrule has said he thinks "she's trying to be bigger than the team, at this instance". Seemed to me he was reacting to the attacks on Kim in this thread - it was actually the very first thing said against Justine.

I have serious doubts about Kim being holier than the Virgin Mary. For one thing - and please keep this to yourself? - I don't think she's a virgin anymore - sshhh. ;)

BTW, I thought most people here said that Justine was right - even the Kim-fans (because that's how we are: holier!! :D :D )

Wimanna & The Crow, thank you! :)

Josh
Dec 23rd, 2002, 02:30 PM
I was talking about the general perception of both players.

If Kim says something she gets the benefit of the doubt cause she's a nice girl.
If Justine says something she gets criticised, cause well, she must be quite a bitch if you compare her to Kim.

And don't tell me that's not true, cause that's how a lot of people, especially the media think about both players.

per4ever
Dec 23rd, 2002, 02:31 PM
Josh is right I'm afraid :sad:

The Crow
Dec 23rd, 2002, 02:42 PM
One more reason to like Justine more ;)

Cookie
Dec 23rd, 2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Josh
I was talking about the general perception of both players.

If Kim says something she gets the benefit of the doubt cause she's a nice girl.
If Justine says something she gets criticised, cause well, she must be quite a bitch if you compare her to Kim.

And don't tell me that's not true, cause that's how a lot of people, especially the media think about both players.

I totally agree......

per4ever
Dec 24th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by The Crow
One more reason to like Justine more ;)

agrees :D

Penguin
Dec 24th, 2002, 10:14 AM
*wants to stay out of the Kim vs. Justine issue, but can't resist*

Josh is right about the general perception of Justine in Belgium (not only in Flanders, mind you), but none of this has shown in this thread: so i don't see any reasons for a Kimfans vs. Justinefans catfight ;)

(you could say: "why is there only a thread about Justine wanting clay, and no threads about Kim's demands?", but as this thread was originated by a Justine fan ;) @K, we can't use that argument anymore :p )

Justine is right wanting the Fed Cup to be on clay, while Kim is correct whe she asks for better organisation... it's up to the organisation to find a solution...

bottom line:
we Belgians should stick together, coz we're blessed with a wonderful pair!

I didn't know where to fit this bit in my post, but I want to say that I agree with most of Lynx's posts, he/she has quite a mature point of view :D