PDA

View Full Version : Oh My GOD! Miss Punk Avril Lavigne doesn't know who the SEX PISTOLS are!!!!

Gonzo Hates Me!
Dec 21st, 2002, 03:19 AM
WTF!! Read this article. I know there are many Avril fans here, and it seems like I seriously hate her!!! I have some of her songs downloaded. I like ALL music. I like some of her songs. I am not a bratty detective anti-fan! I was on one of her websites because she was starting to grow on me. But I found this article... I have always hated how she shoves this image down your face, but I'm a lay off her, because I truly believe it is her label, and maybe she is just as annoyed about the faux-persona as I am! ...I MEAN TO NOT KNOW THE SEX PISTOLS!!! A band that helps DEFINE PUNK!! Something's wrong here... it's just obvious now!

Buzz: Cover Story: Sk8er girl NOT?

"She is the most real thing out there," boasted her manager.

Let Go is the hottest debut album of the year, selling over two million in the US and shifting 15,000 copies in Singapore since its September release.

The 18-year-old Canadian is pretty talented, and the boys think she's hot. But is she really the most real thing? Lavigne's believers are inspired by her spunky wild-child image; the anti-Avrils have rejected her as a teen role model.

(Even her former manager has denounced her as a fraud.) They claim she is pop, not punk. She's fabricated, not real. And – gasp! – that she's even more cleverly packaged than ol' Britney herself. 1. THE LOOK With the demand for pop down and punk edging into the mainstream, music execs have started capitalising on the new trend. Enter their latest puppet: Avril Lavigne.

Just look at her ‘uniform': studded jewellery, baggy cargo pants, fitted tank tops and signature neckties. It's a look ripped out of the fashion pages of teen magazine Seventeen.

And for a self-proclaimed muss-and-no-fuss tomboy, does anyone realise that her once-frizzy brown tresses have been rebonded? And how many tubes of eyeliner do you think she goes through a week for those perfectly-lined raccoon peepers? Lavigne also loves posing with her skateboard, and her official biography says she's good at it.

However, "Dude, I suck!" is the typical response when asked about her skills.

She lamented to Rolling Stone about her skater-punk label: "I don't want someone to shove a camera and a board in my face and be like, ‘Here, let's see what everyone's talking about'. "Because it's not like I'm a pro... I skateboarded in high school, and they have to make me sound like some big-ass skater. There's more to me than that." So why didn't Lavigne choose a hockey-stick as an accessory instead? But here's something admirable about Lavigne: She won't ever be caught dead in slutty cleavage-baring outfits.

She told ELLEgirl: "Today, I rejected some gorgeous publicity shots because they just didn't look like me.

"I won't wear swanky clothes that show off my booty, my belly, or boobs. I have a great body. I could be Britney. I could be better than Britney." But, wait, Lavigne loves showing off navel and butt-crack at public events. Give her time and she just might get Dirrty and be a Slave 4 U. 2. THE MUSIC Let's just say she's no Fiona Apple or Alanis Morissette. Her album comprises mostly radio-friendly, pop-rock tunes – Sk8er Boi being one of the faster, heavier tracks.

She bragged to dotmusic.com: "I was born to rock, I was born to roll. I see myself as a rock chick and when they refer to me as a pop chick I'm like ‘NOOOOO!!!'." But just two years ago, Lavigne was crooning country songs favoured by her religious parents, and started listening to CDs only at age 12.

Her first manager, Cliff Fabri, who was sacked by Lavigne when she hit the big time, told Entertainment Weekly: "She was so sheltered, she didn't know Blink 182 from Madonna... Her mother kept pushing Faith Hill and Martina McBride at me, saying, ‘This is Avril'." She claims to be punk, but doesn't know the Sex Pistols. "Why would I know that stuff? Look how young I am. That stuff's old, right?" 3. THE TALENT Lavigne seems to imply that she's quite the self-made musician ("I had to write myself. I had to do my music.") who plays her own instruments.

But Fabri points out that she received a lot of professional help on the songwriting front – but hasn't admitted to it. She also once revealed: "When I get upset and really need to get it out of me, I go to my guitar." But then in a VH-1 article, she contradicted herself: "I sit down with a guitar player." So while we often see Michelle Branch or Vanessa Carlton working their instruments while performing live, Lavigne leaves her band members to do the playing. If we're lucky, she may occasionally strum a few token chords. 4. THE ATTITUDE In Complicated, that infectious ditty that shot Lavigne to fame, she vents: "You're trying to be cool/You look like a fool to me." It's a song about her pet peeve: People being fake and changing their looks and personality to impress others. Well, then why is Lavigne, the gospel-singing small-town native of Napanee, Ontario, suddenly presenting herself as a finger-flipping bitch? Is this a class in Contradiction 101? In her first two music videos, the rebellious one and her crew are trashing the mall, stomping atop a car and wreaking havoc in general.

Said Fabri: "The expectations now are that she's this bad ass, smashing her guitar in a slick video. "That's as programmed as anything else... Avril has the potential to be real, but right now, she's a poseur." – ST

TS
Dec 21st, 2002, 03:51 AM
And people are surprised by this?

How anyone can take her seriously is beyond me.

When people make a point of saying "Im a rock chick not a pop chick"...well, then I rest my case.

DutchieGirl
Dec 21st, 2002, 04:56 AM
I don't know who the sex pistols are... and I really don't care either... she's what? 17... maybe they are a bit old for her???

Crazy Canuck
Dec 21st, 2002, 05:05 AM
*yawn* So she's some 17 year old who has a nice little image that has been created for her by her record company - but *gasp* she really isn't exactly what she claims to be!

Imagine my surprise.

Why is this still considered surprising? Or even unique to just her. There is a huge club of them out there. Lets take a big shit on all of them, while we're at it.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Dec 21st, 2002, 05:13 AM
No Inky. Here's the thing. If you are inspired by jazz, by the age of 18, you should be mature enough and able to say who your influences are. Influences = the big names of jazz; such names that would come to mind are Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, etc. The same goes for punk. Punk music is very cultish. Punkers are proud of their influences and idols to the extreme! Such influences are The Sex Pistols and The Ramones. They are to punk what Ella Fitzgerald and Armstrong are to jazz. For Avril not to know such popular, popular, signifcant punk influences is beyond pathetic. That is why she is a phony.

But obviously, we must remember, all this Sum 41, Good Charlotte, New Found Glory, Simple Plan, and Avril if you will, are much different from original punk like The Sex Pistols. That is punk, the crap today is pop, er, pop punk. But I am sure all the pop punkers know everything about the original punk because they are not fake and don't throw an image in our face.

Anyway, people can say, "I've never heard of the Sex Pistols either." But that's because you're not a devoted punk fan, and that's okay. Avril isn't either then.

Crazy Canuck
Dec 21st, 2002, 05:15 AM
Is this supposed to be news? Are you honestly remotely shocked?

What need is there for proof? I think that anyone paying attention has known for some time that she is a bit of a "poser", as some would like to call it.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Dec 21st, 2002, 05:17 AM
Yes, it's hilarious news! Avril doesn't know who the Sex Pistols are! I just had to spread the word. But the day you quit ranting about Andy Roddick's visor and choice of hats may be the day I'll stop ranting on the choice of Avril's signs of loserdom.

DutchieGirl
Dec 21st, 2002, 05:27 AM
Ok whatever... I like Avril anyway, fake or not. I like her songs so!

btw, I like all types of music, and just because she says she's a punk doesn't mean she always listens to punk music etc... I like dance music, but I hate going clubbin... so maybe she liked to play rock stuff, but doesn't necessarily listen to it all the time...

either way, who really cares? lol It's not like it's about the end of the world or anything! lol

tennisIlove09
Dec 21st, 2002, 07:39 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleye...

oh wait, this isn't the eye rolling thread

MartianJoeyWinson
Dec 21st, 2002, 08:40 AM
I don't know how the word "punk" can be used to describe the detritus in the charts we have now. Sum 41, Blink 182 and all the bands with numbers at the end (ok, we'll leave Haircut 100 and Sham 69 out ;)) and the many others (they all sound the f**king same) are just total rubbish. It's not "Punk", it's crap.

I'm totally unsurprised by Lavigne not knowing who the Sex Pistols are, and what is a skater-punk? Skater Punks, in my opinion (or sk8er punks as they prefer to spell it) are young, easily impressionable gullible kids, who go around on skateboards (some of which don't even know how to use them), wear "Linkin Park" tops, generally annoy people by complaining there's "nowhere to skate", then when the council spend needless amounts of taxpayers money on "skate parks" they are either never used or vandalised by their own ilk.

And they complain about "authority" and "the establishment" (cos they learnt those big words in those songs they listen to), yet most of these kids actually live on the middle class estates, where their houses have two garages and their parents both hold management positions in their professions. Contradiction me thinks :)

I was on the bus once going to Derby when a load of these "Sk8er punks" came on the bus. They were gonna sit on the back, but when they saw me sat in the direct centre seat they sat one seat forward. Suddenly a conversation broke out about "Ska-punk" bands, as one kid was listening to Less than Jake on his cd player. They were all talking about their fave "ska" tracks and bands. I, for the sake of general sanity, decided to but into their conversation and asked them if they had heard of The Specials and The Beat.

Just incase you didn't know, they were two excellent Ska bands which brought the music genre to the forefront.

Did they know em? Have a guess....

I remained silent for the rest of the bus journey, got off at Derby Bus Station, and walked along safe in the knowledge that my case had been well and truly rested. :D

per4ever
Dec 21st, 2002, 09:17 AM
I don't know who the Sex Pistols are either :confused:

Dahveed
Dec 21st, 2002, 09:30 AM
Oh my, God Save The Queen..

jrm
Dec 21st, 2002, 09:47 AM
i never listened to sex pistols but i still know who sid is :rolleyes:

carot
Dec 21st, 2002, 10:01 AM
i saw the sex pistols live :bounce: well until they got pissed cos we threw too much sand at them and left stage, oh well we enjoyed it ;)

i wonder if they actually finished one of their 'comeback' gigs lol

gentenaire
Dec 21st, 2002, 10:16 AM
until a few FC people here told me about her, I didn't know who Avril Lavigne was.

DutchieGirl
Dec 21st, 2002, 11:26 AM
OMG Tine! lol Where have you been? :p

martinailuv
Dec 21st, 2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by per4ever
I don't know who the Sex Pistols are either :confused:

neither do i :o i suppose it's a complicated issue. ;)

TennisToriTerrificTwosome
Dec 21st, 2002, 01:39 PM
Poser.

TeNnIsFaN
Dec 21st, 2002, 03:09 PM
Well, for someone who calls their music 'Punk', she should know who the Sex Pistols are...I'm suprised people on this board don't know who they are..Oh well.

Elleke
Dec 21st, 2002, 04:33 PM
I know who the sex pistols are :p

i don't like avril lavigne and now after reading this ... :rolleyes: sorry all the avril fans :p

Gonzo Hates Me!
Dec 21st, 2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by TeNnIsFaN
Well, for someone who calls their music 'Punk', she should know who the Sex Pistols are...I'm suprised people on this board don't know who they are..Oh well.

I am not very surprised... well, actually, I am! They are not a totally unkown predecessor. Even with the scandal of Sid and Nancy, I would think such infamy would boost how commonly-known they are

BritneySpearsIsHot
Dec 21st, 2002, 04:42 PM
Avril's tunes are quite good, punk no, rock no, but hey, she's a 17 year old who's been told to be whatever for $$$$$$'s and good luck to her

'God Save The Queen' anyone?

Aphrodite
Dec 21st, 2002, 04:54 PM
Wow, how could people not know who the Sex Pistols are,:( They have made such an impact on music, if u read any rollingstones or see any top 100 artist countdown, they are a sure bet to be in it.
They took punk to the next level.

I won' t even ask if u people know of the Ramones, I remember watching Johnny Rotten on MTV, it was just a few years back:)

AS for Avril I don't really care for her, Pink acts more punk then her:)
For Crying out loud Madonna is the Queen of Punk, if Avril is even considered punk:)
What has she done that is punk in its self, wear a tie. lol:)
I'm sure Joan Jett, Courtney Love or Susie from the Banchees would laugh at her and they aren' t even that punk:)

King Lindsay
Dec 21st, 2002, 06:40 PM
she didn't say she didn't know who the Sex Pistols are, she said she didn't KNOW THAT STUFF. I'm sure she knows who they are, and I'm sure she doesn't listen to their music, because they were famous before she was even born. Which is why she DOESN'T KNOW THEIR SONGS. So get the fuck over it.

By the way, Courtney Love is as punk as anybody.

King Lindsay
Dec 21st, 2002, 06:43 PM
'i won't even ask if people know the ramones, I remember watching Johny Rotten on MTV, it was just a few years back."

excuse me, Aphrodite, but was that just a badly worded non-sentence, or do you not know who was in the Ramones, and who wasn't?

Gonzo Hates Me!
Dec 21st, 2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by King Lindsay
she didn't say she didn't know who the Sex Pistols are, she said she didn't KNOW THAT STUFF. I'm sure she knows who they are, and I'm sure she doesn't listen to their music, because they were famous before she was even born. Which is why she DOESN'T KNOW THEIR SONGS. So get the fuck over it.

By the way, Courtney Love is as punk as anybody.

Avril and I are the same age. I am not a punk fan AT ALL! And I can tell you about Sex Pistols and I know their songs. If you are punk, you should know their songs genious. It's like not being able to name atleast one Michael Jackson song when you like that type of music. That's how pathetic she is. That's how fake she is. For making fun of people who listen to Christina Aguilera KL, you sure sound like a teenybopper yourself. So stop sticking up for her lame ass and get the fuck over yourself.

King Lindsay
Dec 21st, 2002, 07:06 PM
Hey [mod edit]Female Person I Do Not Like Very Much[/mod edit], I don't like Avril, I don't like her music, and I don't like her image. I do know the Sex Pistols, and I like them. I also know how to spell "genius". Because I am one. ha ha ha. I'm objecting to people taking her remarks the wrong way, which anybody with half a brain can tell by my post. Also, I'm sure Avril could name at least one Pistols song, I think what she meant was that wasn't really familiar with them because they were before her time.

Warrior
Dec 21st, 2002, 07:23 PM
Leave Avril alone!:(

Gonzo Hates Me!
Dec 21st, 2002, 08:37 PM
I'm a bitch for not liking the way Avril's management markets her?! That makes me a bitch?! Okay, whatever.

kournikovafan13
Dec 21st, 2002, 08:47 PM
I have her album and I love almost every song. I hate her attitude, she is basically pop except her song 'Losing Grip' which is much heavier than the rest of her stuff. However I dont care about the way she carries herself, I just want to listen to good music.

She is hot though. :drool:

Crazy Canuck
Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:02 AM
King Lindsay, you are SO teeny bopper.

It's part of your charm.

Crazy Canuck
Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:07 AM
I'm a BLEEP for not liking the way Avril's management markets her?! That makes me a BLEEP?! Okay, whatever.

*please note where I have removed the crude offense language, by use of BLEEP*

Your beef is not with Avrils management. If it was, you wouldn't post threads making fun of her specifically, how you think she is a poser, or a tard, or whatever word you feel suits her that day.

I could care less what you think of her. But please don't pretend your beef is with her management, when that is clearly not what you ahve been talking about the entire thread.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:26 AM
Oh, you don't believe me! Then read the first post of this thread.

Cassius
Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:32 AM
How can a self-confessed 'punk' NOT know who the Sex Pistols are?
God Save The Queen?
EMI?
Pretty Vacant?
Anarcy In The UK?
Has she never heard ANY of those songs?
What a deprived child:D

CC
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:42 AM
I am no Punk fan except for a few Nirvana and Hole songs here and there. Trust me, she should know.

Experimentee
Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:13 PM
Yeah i read this a while ago, but anyone should be able to see that Avril is a poser from the first time they see her. Its like shes trying so hard to be seen as a rock chick or a punk chick, but it shouldnt have to be like that.
If she was truly influenced by punk she should know bands like the Sex Pistols, Ramones, The Clash, The Dead Kennedys, etc, but instead she apparently listens to Sum41, New Found Glory, Blink 182. It would be ok if she just did her thing and didnt claim to be punk, but the fact that she does just pisses everyone off including me.

King Lindsay
Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:23 PM
yeah yeah yeah, you guys above should read my post where I think I explained what Avril meant by her quotes.

dear Female Person I Don't Like Very Much. You're not a bitch because you don't like Avril or her management. neither do I, why would I care if you don't? You're a bitch because you're annoying and stupid. End of story.

Aphrodite
Dec 23rd, 2002, 08:54 PM
King Lindsay, sorry i worded a setence wrong, johnny was clearly in the sex pistols, and u know i meant that. I know more about music then u know about yourself. Don't try to make me look stupid, because I am in college, I know 7 different languages better then u, and I have earned a scholarship to oxford, when u can accomplish that u can critique my grammar in a language that is my 4th.
For now why don't u turn on a Avril the poser video, and skaterboi yourself right out of this thread.

Aphrodite
Dec 23rd, 2002, 08:55 PM
I only see one bitch here, and that is me:)

Gonzo Hates Me!
Dec 23rd, 2002, 08:57 PM
Aphrodite, don't call yourself a bitch! Speaking 7 languages makes you an interesting person

Gonzo Hates Me!
Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:04 PM
I take it you've never seen or read of any of her interviews

Aphrodite
Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:11 PM
Federer_Chick, you are the interesting person:)
thanx
but i am proud of being a bitch,
I am only a bitch when i have to be one, I don't let people run me over, and I tell it how i think it is.
but to people as sweet as u I am Sweet as Sugar:)

Gonzo Hates Me!
Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:13 PM
LOL!! Um, thanks, but I only speak 3 and 1/10 languages! I think you are superior

Rae Q.
Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by joy
did she ever claim to be a punk rocker? Those were people in the media biz putting labels on her music..just like when they wanted to start bashing Alanis Morissette because when she was younger, she made more 'bubblegum' music- people grow, record companies dictate images..whatever!

The backlash has begun- whats new---leave that lil Canadian chick alone;) :D Atleast she writes her own shit and its not 3 word ditties:bounce: :bounce:

Joy you're totally giving her way too much credit. ;) She tries to do that Alanis yodelling thing on her newest song. It cracks me up every time. :o

BritneySpearsIsHot
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:13 AM
Who cares, the tunes are good, the lyrics are shit but it works, if she's a brat slap her very hard and be done with it

Let her have her 5 minutes of fame, there are bigger brats on this board that too need a good slap than Avril, and i'm willing to comply :)

Welcome to the world people, where have you been? ;) ;p