PDA

View Full Version : Surprising Doubles Partnerships

raquel
Dec 20th, 2002, 07:57 PM
Looking through Arantxa's results and the amount of different partners Arantxa has played with, some of them were kinda surprising - Torres, Husarova, Basuki, Dokic, Sidot, Kournikova, Coetzer, Davenport, Shriver, Schett, McNeil, Spirlea, Pierce, McQuillan, Chris Bailey at Wimbledon:eek:

Also saw a few other strange teams - Capriati/Graf, Seles/Palaversic, Grande/Seles, Coetzer/Novotna

Anyone else seen any teams that they wouldn't really expect?

TatiAnnahlic
Dec 20th, 2002, 08:30 PM
Navratilova/Tulyaganova

Aerien
Dec 20th, 2002, 08:31 PM
Capriati/Hantuchova at Wimbledon this year.

I didn't think Capriati was interested in doubles.

Pureracket
Dec 20th, 2002, 08:33 PM
Meka Williams/Navratilova

TatiAnnahlic
Dec 20th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Henin-Hardenne/Martinez-Granados :eek: rg'02

auntie janie
Dec 20th, 2002, 09:02 PM
Really, Capriati-Graf! That IS a surprise! :eek:

FLL
Dec 20th, 2002, 09:35 PM
Kournikova/Halard-Decugis at Gold Coast a few years back! But the won the title

Kournikova/Lee at Shanghai this year! But they also won the title!

Lindsayfan
Dec 20th, 2002, 10:03 PM
Davenport/Po Philadelphia 2000 :eek:

raquel
Dec 20th, 2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by N KNkV
:eek: You wonder why Justine picked her?! Maybe they are friends?

[S@nti]
Dec 20th, 2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by N KNkV

LOL yes! It was so strange... :eek::confused:

nuriboy
Dec 20th, 2002, 10:19 PM
To me it is amazing how Martina Hingis can pick anybody as a partner and win a GS!! She has won GS`s with I think 3 or 4 DIFFERENT partners!! Incredible man.....that tells you how good a doubles player she is. I mean Martina N did win all those GSs with Pam....I mean everybody can do that, but the win 4 different partners that is something!!

MLF
Dec 20th, 2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by nuriboy
To me it is amazing how Martina Hingis can pick anybody as a partner and win a GS!! She has won GS`s with I think 3 or 4 DIFFERENT partners!! Incredible man.....that tells you how good a doubles player she is. I mean Martina N did win all those GSs with Pam....I mean everybody can do that, but the win 4 different partners that is something!!

Yes, Martina Hingis is a great doubles player. however, you kinda need to check some facts about Martina Navratilova. She won grand slam doubles titles with Chris Evert, Billie Jean King, Pam Shriver, Betty Stove, Andrea Temesvari, GiGi Fernandez, Anne Smith and Hana Mandlikova. A few more than four partners ;)

Anyway I was really surprised to see the Hingis / Seles partnership in Oz 2001.

Nacho
Dec 20th, 2002, 11:32 PM
Conchita and Mary, definitely :o

Also Jelena & Conchi was very surprising...

ghosts
Dec 20th, 2002, 11:46 PM
Seles/Palaversic :eek:
where was that?

MLF
Dec 20th, 2002, 11:51 PM
Seles / Palaversic played this year at Charleston. They beat Arendt / Huber in the first round but didn't play the second round match due to injury.

jrm
Dec 21st, 2002, 12:19 AM
i'll go with henin/granados

raquel
Dec 21st, 2002, 06:54 PM
Gorrochategui/Graf played a few events, where they friends or something, because strange choice for Steffi.

ttaM
Dec 21st, 2002, 07:33 PM
Didn't Monica play doubles with Betsy Nagelson (sp) at Wimbledon once? I thought I read this somewhere.

ttaM
Dec 21st, 2002, 07:35 PM
Lucic/Seles was a doubles team for a few summer tournaments a couple years ago. They didn't do well I believe. Not too surprising ;)

irma
Dec 21st, 2002, 07:40 PM
steffi/novotna and steffi also played with legend pam once!

Zummi
Dec 21st, 2002, 08:44 PM
Martina Navratilova & Margaret Court - Amelia Island 1975

nuriboy
Dec 21st, 2002, 08:49 PM
Yeah Martina N. won with different partners, but I mean look at the names. Those are all time greats( excl Pam Shriver), but Martina Hingis won gss with MIRJANA LUCIC!! I mean Mirjana LUCIC!! You must be plenty good to win with Mirjana!! But I guess the playing doubles sits in the name: Martina-Martina. Now that would be a great team!!

Zummi
Dec 21st, 2002, 08:52 PM
I think Anne Smith, Betty Stove & Andrea Temesvari will be thrilled to learn that they are in the "all-time greats" category.

And Hingis won "ONE" Grand Slam title with Lucic. Let's not make that into something bigger than it actually was...

ChrisGermany
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:20 AM
Steffi played with Pam Shriver and with Lori McNeil in a couple of events.

I believe it was when Steffi and Gaby decided to split and Steffi was top10 in doubles.

Being healthy, that Martina Navratilova-Steffi Graf combination 1995 would have been a highlight of tennis in general ...

Anna K and Jennifer Capriati was a highlight too, one year and a half ago. Same with Capriati and Hingis teaming up.

Claudia Kohde-Klisch and Steffi Graf teaming up to win FedCup against Shriver/Evert was a surprise too because I believe that Evert wasnt the best doubles choice though it was surprising that Graf/Kohde did so well in that match ...

Kirt12255
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:58 AM
Bradtke (nee Provis) & Capriati at the Italian open :-)

Glenn
Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:08 AM
Henin-Mauresmo
Henin-Bovina

The last one being a very good doubles team actually, hopefully Justine will team up with Elena again in 2003!

kj-
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:07 AM
ASV/Kuznetsova :o

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Kojangs
ASV/Kuznetsova :o
It doesn't suprised me because Sveta's coach is brother of Arantxa... it does make sense to me.

Robbie.
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:46 AM
Pierce/Coetzer - neither is particular adept at the net (especially Overhead for Amanda :o )

kj-
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by AlexSydney
It doesn't suprised me because Sveta's coach is brother of Arantxa... it does make sense to me.

but, it's make me surprised anywayz! :o :rolleyes: :p

Aloysius
Dec 22nd, 2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by raquel
Bump!

Gorrochategui/Graf played a few events, where they friends or something, because strange choice for Steffi.

Ines and Steffi had been friends since their days as juniors. Sometimes, she even sat in Steffi's player box to watch Steffi play. Rennae Stubbs, another good friend, also played doubles with Steffi. I think they won 2 titles together.

Nimi
Dec 22nd, 2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by MirjanaLfan
Yes, Martina Hingis is a great doubles player. however, you kinda need to check some facts about Martina Navratilova. She won grand slam doubles titles with Chris Evert, Billie Jean King, Pam Shriver, Betty Stove, Andrea Temesvari, GiGi Fernandez, Anne Smith and Hana Mandlikova. A few more than four partners ;)

Anyway I was really surprised to see the Hingis / Seles partnership in Oz 2001.

Martina N/Chrissie? I find that odd.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:04 PM
I think Monica and Maja knew each other growing up and were close friends so I don't think that's a surprise. Betsy Nagelsen was a crucial person in helping Monica in getting over the stabbing, so that's not a surprise they played at the 96 Wimby. However, Betsy's career had been over for a while so it did raise a few eyebrows.

Capriati/Navratilova:eek:
Davenport/Coetzer back in 93 (that must have gotten a few snickers)
Lucic/Seles-I saw them play at the 98 Open and I think they hit 5 volleys combined. They were just so clueless up there (Monica has gotten MUCH better at doubles since then, although still not all that great). They lost 6-1 6-1 to a very unheralded doubles yeam.
Henin-Hardenne/Martinez-Granados is quite a shocker. Didn't Justine play with her at the US Open this year or with someone of the same rank?

raquel
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Bradshaw#1
I think Monica and Maja knew each other growing up and were close friends so I don't think that's a surprise. Betsy Nagelsen was a crucial person in helping Monica in getting over the stabbing, so that's not a surprise they played at the 96 Wimby. However, Betsy's career had been over for a while so it did raise a few eyebrows.

Capriati/Navratilova:eek:
Davenport/Coetzer back in 93 (that must have gotten a few snickers)
Lucic/Seles-I saw them play at the 98 Open and I think they hit 5 volleys combined. They were just so clueless up there (Monica has gotten MUCH better at doubles since then, although still not all that great). They lost 6-1 6-1 to a very unheralded doubles yeam.
Henin-Hardenne/Martinez-Granados is quite a shocker. Didn't Justine play with her at the US Open this year or with someone of the same rank?
When did Capriati/Navratilova play?!

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:28 PM
They played at the Canadian Open this year and managed to win a round

ttaM
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:42 PM
Some others I remember:

Huber/Seles in Rome in 2000 I believe.

Sanchez-Vicario/Seles played in Tokyo once I believe

Mauresmo/Rubin. This team actually won the Linz doubles title in 2000 I believe. I think it was their first (and only?) time playing. Not too sure on that though.

Ryan
Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:04 PM
Didn't Jennifer/Schett play in the US Open this year? That just seems weird to me, don't know why though.

Anna/Chanda was unexpected as well.

ColinB
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:54 PM
Jennifer and Schett are good friends, Jen, Iva, Anke and Babsi all hang around together...

Pamela Shriver
Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:49 PM
Shriver/Navratilova. After all, I had to carry her.

MLF
Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:49 PM

Really? Monica and Mirjana lost the only match they played together 3-6 7-6 6-2 so maybe you're getting confused with another pairing?

Sabatini / Schultz-McCarthy surprised me. Talk about contrasting serves.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:36 PM
MirjanaFan, they def played at the 98 US Open. Pull up a drawsheet and you'll see I'm right. Both teams (Mirjana and Monica and there opponents) were both unseeded as well/

irma
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:47 PM
Sabatini / Schultz-McCarthy

yeah and then sabatini dumped her to play with nav at the us open I think.

Brenda was very hurt by that :sad:

louloubelle
Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:15 AM
Novotna and Seles - Seles was content to stay at the baseline and fire groundies. Jana looked confused on the doubles court for the first time I think... not knowing whether to go to net or stay back with Monica.

Anke Huber played with one of the Jensen's twins sister.. rachael i think... in an Australian Open many years back. Not an arrangement that lasted too long. Apparently the sister was as wacky as the brothers.

TennisFan75
Dec 23rd, 2002, 03:08 AM
Tracy Austin and Betty Stove played dubs in the 70's.. another tall/short combo...

Gabriela Sabatini has had an interesting mix of partners... Brenda Schultz-McCarthy has been mentioned, but also, Betsy Naglesen, Zina Garrison, Carling Bassett-Seguso, Larisa Savechenko-Neiland, Mercedez Paz, Claudia Kohde Kilsh, Mary Piece, Ines Gorrochategui, Lori McNiel..

Jay.. :wavey:

Zummi
Dec 23rd, 2002, 03:14 AM
Gaby & Martina were another good team.

Martina has played with Jennifer twice. Once at the 1990 Italian Open where they reached the quarterfinals, before Martina withdrew after her pulled hamstring. And then 12 years later, they played together at this year's Rogers AT&T Cup in Montreal, losing to Sanchez-Vicario & Hantuchova in the round of 16.

MLF
Dec 23rd, 2002, 07:05 PM
MirjanaFan, they def played at the 98 US Open. Pull up a drawsheet and you'll see I'm right. Both teams (Mirjana and Monica and there opponents) were both unseeded as well/

Yeah, I know they did. I wasn't debating that. It's the only doubles they played and they lost 3-6 7-6 6-2 to Jeyaseelan / Simpson, not 6-1 6-1 as you said. Plenty of power if nothing else from the Seles / Lucic side of the net I guess.

raquel
Jan 4th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Martina Navratilova/Alexandra Stevenson are playing sydney next week :eek:

raquel
Aug 27th, 2003, 06:16 PM
BUMP

Raymond/Sharapova :eek: I would never have thought Lisa would play with Maria. I would have thought Rennae would be more likely to team with Maria

alfajeffster
Aug 27th, 2003, 06:27 PM
Martina Navratilova & Margaret Court - Amelia Island 1975

You're kidding?!? I wasn't aware the Amelia Island tournament went back that far. I always thought it began in 1979 or 1980. Did they win the tournament?

mn73
Aug 27th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Raymond/Sharapova is pretty surprising

Zvereva/Lucic was surprising too, cos Mirjana hadn't done much of note then and Zvereva was still a top doubles player.

Capriati/Pat Cash!