PDA

View Full Version : Players overshadowed by their countrywomen

Fuji
Dec 20th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Speaking of being overshadowed by their countrywomen, who could be a better candidate than Anke Huber?

A NO.4 career- high ranking, a finalist of AUS Open and Year-end Champion still leave Huber nothing to brag about in front of Graf's almost-impossible-to-achieve career.

Any other examples?

The Crow
Dec 20th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Justine (till now anyway ;))

-Sonic-
Dec 20th, 2002, 08:57 PM
Shaughnessy & Frazier for sure IMO... Meghann was pushing into the top 10 for a while there, but due to the 5 Americans ranked above her it was hard to get media attention i guess. Well, not a lot that i've seen anyway!

Panova and Myskina don't seem to have got enough attention as well, as Anna & Elena D burst onto the scenes with their GS semi finals under their belt (and their long blonde hair i'm sure helped a tiny bit)

One player that has done very well despite Capriati, Davenport, Seles & the Williams sisters all ranked above her in her country is Chanda Rubin, esp in England many causal fans still know her quite well. Chanda was able to get some good results before the sister's reign and after monica's invincible run of the early 90's.

evaz
Dec 20th, 2002, 09:42 PM
Patty is overshadowed by Martina (at least until now)!

~*Alma*~
Dec 20th, 2002, 09:47 PM
hey allemaal!!!

nuriboy
Dec 20th, 2002, 10:36 PM
Patty in Switzerland and any German girl. I think that is a burden no one can carry.

arn
Dec 20th, 2002, 10:38 PM
Certainly Henin here in Belgium, without Kim she would have won the sportswoman of the year award at least 3 times. Just today Kim won her fourth consecutive!

potty
Dec 20th, 2002, 11:02 PM
I think Conchita was overshadowed though out her career by ASV, even when Conchi was posting better results and higher ranked people would always assume ASV was the highest ranking and best Spainard!!

franny
Dec 20th, 2002, 11:15 PM
prolly patty and huber the most. I think that until Patty can win a few grand slams, she will continue to be overshawdowed by martina because martina's career has been 5-6 time more glorious then patty's, but patty in my mind has the ability to win grand slams and catch up, so we'll see what happens. But for now, patty currently, overall, huber.

Soch
Dec 20th, 2002, 11:36 PM
Conchita because of ASV. Not anymore.

jrm
Dec 21st, 2002, 12:18 AM
anke huber defenetely ... same thing goes for haas and kiefer

raulgimc
Dec 21st, 2002, 12:33 AM
Arantxa was better than Conchita...that's the true...

fhkung
Dec 21st, 2002, 12:35 AM
Patty cant have a better time than this yr
to win Zurich with Martina being absent,
finally time for her to breath:)

also i think Dementieva was overshadowed
by Anna Kournikova back then till
Anna got injured IMO

Dechy is IMO also overshadowed
by Pierce and Testud, with Marion
rising, i'm afraid she is gonna
be overshadowed soon.....

AUSBOY
Dec 21st, 2002, 02:26 AM
Julie Halard-Decugis.

Julie seemed to always be overshadowed by Mary Pierce even though she was 3-0 over her and reached a career high 7 in the world

TS
Dec 21st, 2002, 05:03 AM
Oh definately Christina Zachariadou and Maria Pavlidou of Greece.

;)

Messenger
Dec 21st, 2002, 10:54 AM
Elena Likhovtseva - even though she is one of the most accomplished Russian players out there.

Sonf@
Dec 21st, 2002, 02:05 PM
Conchita has been always forgotten by the Spanish Media. In fact they only speak about Conchita when she gets something very good, like a semis in a Grand Slam or so. But they talk about Arantxa almost for everything.

Aloysius
Dec 21st, 2002, 02:22 PM
Rachel McQuillan. She was overshadowed by Jo-Anne Faull as a junior, Nicole Bradtke during the early part of her pro career, and later by the Jelena Dokic's and Alicia Molik's. She was briefly the best Aussie but Nicole Bradtke was still considered the flagbearer and eventually overtook Rachel again.

GermanBoy
Dec 21st, 2002, 02:41 PM
Hey Aloysius,

I always wondered what happened to Jo-Anne Faull. Do you know?

marsha
Dec 21st, 2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by sonfo
Conchita has been always forgotten by the Spanish Media. In fact they only speak about Conchita when she gets something very good, like a semis in a Grand Slam or so. But they talk about Arantxa almost for everything.

Well don't feel too bad, sonfo - cuz *BOTH* Arantxa and Conchita (not to even mention the other Spanish players) always have and always will be *totally* ignored by the US Press! Even when Arantxa was #1 in the world, she was *never once* on the cover of Tennis Week magazine (or any other US publication, IIRC!)

For some reason, they just loved "Fraulein Forehand" though! :(

Zummi
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:13 AM
I remember reading an interesting write-up on Emmanuela Zardo. She said all her life she wanted to be the #1 player of Switzerland. When she was finally starting to get close to that dream, Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere switched her nationality from Bulgarian to Swiss in 1991 and automatically assumed the top status. Zardo had to play second fiddle to her the next 3 years.

Finally in 1994, Maleeva-Fragniere retired and at last, Zardo was well in line to end the season as the Swiss #1. But later that year Martina Hingis burst onto the scene and by the year's end, Hingis, after just 3 tournaments, had surpassed Zardo in the ranks.

It must have been frustrating for Emmanuela.

Aloysius
Dec 22nd, 2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by GermanBoy
Hey Aloysius,

I always wondered what happened to Jo-Anne Faull. Do you know?

Hi GermanBoy,

About 5 years ago, Jo-Anne was working at TennisWest in Perth, Western Australia, as the Participation Development Officer. She was also playing State Grade pennant tennis in this time. Two years later, she left the post and was replaced by another former pro player, Elissa Burton, who still works at TennisWest. Jo-Anne then went East and was last heard to be involved with the coaching and development of young female talent. Whatever happened to her since then remains a mystery to me.

Light-skinned Girl
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by marsha
Well don't feel too bad, sonfo - cuz *BOTH* Arantxa and Conchita (not to even mention the other Spanish players) always have and always will be *totally* ignored by the US Press! Even when Arantxa was #1 in the world, she was *never once* on the cover of Tennis Week magazine (or any other US publication, IIRC!)

For some reason, they just loved "Fraulein Forehand" though! :(

You're *absolutely* right! Arantxa got *no* respect in the US when she was #1 and Conchi was ignored when she won Wimbledon. You would've thought that
Steffi was the *only* player on the tour. :(

irma
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:44 PM
I read a great report about asv after the us open 94. it came from the american tennismagazin and it changed my opinion about her (in a good way)